PDA

View Full Version : Lithuanian big man Robertas Javtokas

jmard5
05-12-2006, 11:27 AM
Apologies if someone had posted this one before regarding Javtokas.

-------------------
San Antonio owns the draft rights to talented Lithuanian big man Robertas Javtokas, prompting one fan to ponder whether he'll be in a Spurs uniform next season:
-- [Real GM]

"Are you guys bringing him over next season? I'm surprised you got him too. He's far better than rasho or nazr imo and the guy can jump through the building. You're team will be unbeatable with duncan and javtokas as bigs. imo. He's an amazing defender and can get you 10-12 per(mostly dunks). What an evil lineup."

Evil? Sounds pretty good. But for now, they'll have to go with what they got, and what they have is a roster that won 63 games and has bounced back from adversity all year. Internet blog 20 Second Timeout believes the Spurs will do just that, again:
-- [20 Second Timeout]

http://www.nba.com/playoffs2006/clickandroll_sasdal.html

2centsworth
05-12-2006, 11:45 AM
this team needs to get younger because even our young guys are looking old.

ploto
05-12-2006, 12:21 PM
That quoted part is from RealGM and is just one person posting his thoughts on a message board. It is nothing more than what people post here wondering if he will come next season.

RobinsontoDuncan
05-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Scola? I've heard that hia buyout is reasonable this season

Bruno
05-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Javtokas' last game : 24pt (11-12 FG, 2-8 FT), 9 rebounds, 4 blocks in 33 minutes. :clap
And it wasn't against a bad team (Zalgiris Kaunas).

2centsworth
05-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Javtokas' last game : 24pt (11-12 FG, 2-8 FT), 9 rebounds, 4 blocks in 33 minutes. :clap
Great numbers and with Chip England on staff he should shoot at least 50% from the line.

velik_m
05-12-2006, 12:57 PM

Zalgiris is a bad team.

Spurologist
05-12-2006, 01:17 PM
I think it's time for one of our draft picks to suit up next season.

Sanidzike/Javtokas/Scola/Mahinmi. This is an update on spurs.com:

http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/presti_060327.html

Kori Ellis
05-12-2006, 01:19 PM
My guess is that Sanikidze and Javtokas will both be here next season.

Texas_Ranger
05-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Javtokas is a great player, I would like too see him in our team. I think that Duncan is his idol.

themvp
05-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Wawawiwa! Javtokas is very athletic player. I want him in Spurs roster soon.

Spurologist
05-12-2006, 01:35 PM

Hope it happens. We need some youth. Sanikidze is only 19. Javtokas = 26.

jmard5
05-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Another one taken during 2001 draft.

------------------
Robertas Javtokas

NBA DRAFT 2001
Selected in second round (56th pick overall) by the San Antonio Spurs.

HIGHLIGHTS
Played one semester of Division I basketball at Arizona in fall of 1999 before returning to play in Lithuania for Lietuvos Rytas the past one and a half seasons.

Played one season of high school basketball in the United States (1997-98 season) for Bishop McGuiness of Winston-Salem, N.C.

Transferred to St. Mary's High School of Akron, Ohio, for 1998-99 academic year, but was prohibited from playing that season due to state high school rules in Ohio that prevent foreign transfers from playing in their second seasons.

This season for Lietuvos Rytas, earned significant playing time in his first full season.

Averaging 23.7 minutes in his team's first 22 games, averaged 11.2 points and 8.4 rebounds.

Excellent offensive rebounder, grabbing nearly three per game in his limited minutes.

Played in the Lithuanian League All-Star Game and won the Slam Dunk contest held that weekend.

In his return to Lithuania in January 2000, played 16.8 minutes per game in 12 games, averaging 4.3 points and 4.8 rebounds as Lietuvos Rytas won the league championship.

According to scouting reports, he is an athletic big man with extraordinary leaping ability and speed, but without polished offensive skills.

Scores many of his points by out-leaping opponents for offensive rebound baskets and dunks.

Known as a quick jumper who will make multiple jumps for rebounds.

Uses his leaping ability on defensive end to record blocked shots and to grab rebounds.

According to Suproleague Yearbook, gained instant fame in Lithuania by dunking on a basket raised to 3.592 m, or slightly more than 11 feet, 8 inches high.

http://www.nba.com/draft2001/playerfiles/robertas_javtokas.html?nav=ArticleList

ploto
05-12-2006, 02:58 PM
My only concern about Robertas is that last summer he wanted a contract before he began to practice with his national team, and I don't know how soon in the summer this would be worked out with Nazr a free agent. I do believe, though, that Robertas basically can replace what Nazr does for less money and with better defense.

leemajors
05-12-2006, 03:19 PM
"According to Suproleague Yearbook, gained instant fame in Lithuania by dunking on a basket raised to 3.592 m, or slightly more than 11 feet, 8 inches high."

any word on whether he is still capable of that after rehabbing from his injury?

Solid D
05-12-2006, 04:45 PM
No way, lee. He doesn't have the same lift but he can still block shots.

He's gotten stronger physically. He's basically been a screener and rebounder with Rytas. He plays decent D, contests shots and he has improved on a lot of the little things, the nuances of basketball. I also expect to see the Spurs bring him over, especially if the Scola situation doesn't improve.

Here is what transpired last season with Robertas, as reported here.
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18973

leemajors
05-12-2006, 04:48 PM
No way, lee. He doesn't have the same lift but he can still block shots.

He's gotten stronger physically. He's basically been a screener and rebounder with Rytas. He plays decent D, contests shots and he has improved on a lot of the little things, the nuances of basketball. I also expect to see the Spurs bring him over, especially if the Scola situation doesn't improve.

here's to bringing him over regardless! :elephant