PDA

View Full Version : Lack of depth at PG

DarrinS
05-12-2006, 11:37 AM
I think the Spurs had better depth at the point guard position in previous seasons.

The only guys to back up Tony are Van Exel and Beno. That's scary.

When we first acquired NVE, I was happy, but I've been very disappointed in his game.

In previous championship runs, we had

1999. Avery Johnson, Antonio Daniels, Steve Kerr

2003. Tony Parker, Speedy Claxton, Steve Kerr

2005. Tony Parker, Beno Udrih, Devin Brown

I wonder if Pop will let Manu and/or Barry run the point to relieve TP?

2centsworth
05-12-2006, 11:40 AM
I think the Spurs had better depth at the point guard position in previous seasons.

When we first acquired NVE, I was happy, but I've been very disappointed in his game.

In previous championship runs, we had

1999. Avery Johnson, Antonio Daniels, Steve Kerr

2003. Tony Parker, Speedy Claxton, Steve Kerr

2005. Tony Parker, Beno Udrih, Devin Brown

Devin isn't a PG. Manu was good enough to take over a PG last year. Manu's poor play is the biggest reason why the PG position looks weak.

JamStone
05-12-2006, 11:41 AM
I don't consider Devin Brown a point guard.

And, even if some Spurs fans are disappointed with NVE and Beno, that is still better depth than most teams at the point guard position.

Look at Sacramento. They had Mike Bibby and ... Jason Hart.

Cleveland has Eric Snow and Damon Jones. Ouch! At least Hughes and LeBron can handle the ball and Flip can give spot minutes at that position.

New Jersey has Jacque Vaughn. Good luck with that, Nets.

Phoenix has Eddie House. It's so bad for the Suns, Nash is playing more and more minutes, and Boris Diaw has much of the point guard duties when Nash is resting.

Spurs could definitely use an upgrade at point guard depth, but it's not nearly as bad as you think.

leemajors
05-12-2006, 11:41 AM
barry should be the primary backup.

DarrinS
05-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Devin isn't a PG. Manu was good enough to take over a PG last year. Manu's poor play is the biggest reason why the PG position looks weak.

My bad.

It just pissed me off when NVE had his little tantrum, knowing that TP was playing hurt, and he (NVE) was TP's primary backup. What a punk. He, and his game, are tired.

Bruno
05-12-2006, 12:32 PM

In theory, we are this year really deep at the PG spot.
NVE : vet allstar who still scored 11ppg last season
TP : top10 PG who has now a lot of experience.
Beno : Has made a very good rookie season except against Detroit.

Now, NVE sucks, Beno sucks and TP is injured.
The thing that is scary is that we have depth troubles at the PG spot with all that quality.

No.

"Nick's a playoff player, and I'm going to stick with him," Popovich said. "That's all I'm going to say."

RON ARTEST
05-12-2006, 12:42 PM
I don't consider Devin Brown a point guard.

And, even if some Spurs fans are disappointed with NVE and Beno, that is still better depth than most teams at the point guard position.

Look at Sacramento. They had Mike Bibby and ... Jason Hart.

Cleveland has Eric Snow and Damon Jones. Ouch! At least Hughes and LeBron can handle the ball and Flip can give spot minutes at that position.

New Jersey has Jacque Vaughn. Good luck with that, Nets.

Phoenix has Eddie House. It's so bad for the Suns, Nash is playing more and more minutes, and Boris Diaw has much of the point guard duties when Nash is resting.

Spurs could definitely use an upgrade at point guard depth, but it's not nearly as bad as you think.
eddie house is better the van exel. those are bad examples. all those other teams are either about to be done or already done.

ducks
05-12-2006, 12:44 PM
spurs could use manu and barry as backup points if need be

Fabbs
05-12-2006, 12:51 PM
barry should be the primary backup.

It's so obvious.
Can we reach Pops brain with this info?

4001 STEREO SPUR
05-12-2006, 12:53 PM
It's so obvious.
Can we reach Pops brain with this info?

That would be very hard.

leemajors
05-12-2006, 01:34 PM
eddie house is better the van exel. those are bad examples. all those other teams are either about to be done or already done.

eddie house is a chucker, not a pg. he and van exel are similar in that way, except he also crumples under pressure. he seems to make everything when the suns are up by 10+ points though!

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Great analysis DarrinS. How about breaking down our strength at the 5 spot?