05-13-2006, 12:08 AM
Has anyone seen it?

opinion?

1Parker1
05-13-2006, 12:14 AM
Did it even come out yet?

Melmart1
05-13-2006, 12:15 AM
I thought it was coming out like next week? I could be wrong. But the book was great, so they better not ruin it.

Jekka
05-13-2006, 12:17 AM
I thought it was coming out like next week? I could be wrong. But the book was great, so they better not ruin it.

Angels and Demons was better. Seriously - if you haven't read it, you really need to.

ALVAREZ6
shit, my bad, my friend told me it came out today....bastard.

Melmart1
I just started "Angels and Demons" this week. :)

1Parker1
05-13-2006, 12:18 AM

:tu Agreed. The book was awesome. Usually, movies don't ever live up to the hype though.

midgetonadonkey
05-13-2006, 12:18 AM
I couldn't get into that book. I tried but all the french references really turned me off to the whole thing.

ALVAREZ6
05-13-2006, 12:19 AM
well if you want a good movie version of a great book, it's not a surprise that it doesn't live up to par. The movies would be so damn long unless every single scene of the movie was really brief.

Jekka
05-13-2006, 12:20 AM
:tu Melmart - I really did think that Angels and Demons was better. I don't think The Da Vinci Code would have been as controversial (which is why it's more popular) if people knew more about the origins of Christianity - the Gnostics really were interesting, but Angels and Demons really is the better book.

Melmart1
05-13-2006, 12:20 AM
well if you want a good movie version of a great book, it's not a surprise that it doesn't live up to par. The movies would be so damn long unless every single scene of the movie was really brief.

No, it doesn't have to have every scene from the book. But they can't leave out the best parts or make other shit up for 'dramatic' purposes. Hollyweird is notorious for doing that.

ALVAREZ6
05-13-2006, 12:21 AM
I have no idea :lol I was just talking out of my ass

Melmart1
05-13-2006, 12:25 AM

Yeah, I should have guessed that with you. :lol

ALVAREZ6
05-13-2006, 12:28 AM
that's not very nice...

Pistons < Spurs
05-13-2006, 12:34 AM
Da Vinci Code was one of the best books I've ever read. I've been waiting for the movie for a long time, but I am afraid that they will fuck it up. I'm still debating whether or not to watch it.

I agree w/ Jekka on Angels and Demons. It amazes me that how little fanfare there is for it. Extremely underated.

1Parker1
05-13-2006, 01:02 AM

:lol Shocker.

MannyIsGod
05-13-2006, 01:14 AM
Angels and Demons would have made the better movie. I'll still go see the Da Vinci Code.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-13-2006, 01:16 AM
I'm gonna have to go with mookie on this one and say that dan brown is too commercial.

charmie21
05-13-2006, 01:16 AM
i read the book but i'm afraid i'm not gonna be able to watch it on the cinema because from what i heard, it's gonna be rated R so i'm not yet allowed..!

2Blonde
05-13-2006, 12:05 PM
I'm in the middle of reading the book right now and so far is fascinating.

1Parker1
05-13-2006, 01:11 PM
i read the book but i'm afraid i'm not gonna be able to watch it on the cinema because from what i heard, it's gonna be rated R so i'm not yet allowed..!

Awwww, Fake ID?? Or just dress up in "big people clothes" :lol

Oscar DeLa
05-13-2006, 02:26 PM
I don't know what it is but, Historical Conjecture

j-6
05-13-2006, 11:55 PM
I'm gonna have to go with mookie on this one and say that dan brown is too commercial.

Disagree. Roll back all the marketing and morning show buzz, the top-dollar movie production budget, Catholic mags, and the internet game, Brown sat down and wrote a book. He wrote a fucking book! How can it be his fault if people like The Da Vinci Code? Or that it's so popular it's turned into a Tom Hanks movie?

There's no faking writing a book like Milli Vanilli's on stage pleading about not forgetting their number. The only thing you can blame Brown for is an ad shedding light on the Vatican, and they probably need some attention right now.

Vashner
05-14-2006, 12:25 AM
I like that scene where Lara Croft shoots Tom Hanks with double taps and steals that code thing to turn those globes spinning so evil can come up to rule the world. Then Ozzy bites off bat head and they put bees on Henry Winkler.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-14-2006, 12:30 AM
I like that scene where Lara Croft shoots Tom Hanks with double taps and steals that code thing to turn those globes spinning so evil can come up to rule the world. Then Ozzy bites off bat head and they put bees on Henry Winkler.

Yeah, that scene is good, but only second best after the one where Jack Bauer and Chuck Norris together steal the code from Iran and they kill 40,000 enemy soldiers in the process.

efrem1
05-14-2006, 02:10 AM
:the Gnostics really were interesting.

and totally false. Now I will put off my Spurs hat tonight and put on my theological hat. The gnostics, in a nutshell, believed that all matter was bad and spirit was good and that the way to being holy was to deny oneself anything that benefited you physically. Ireneas (sic) and the Church Fathers renounced these people as heretics. The gnostics also believed that some were entitled to special revelation from God himself. This is in total contradiction to what Jesus said when he was brought before the courts and said "in secret I have said nothing." Chalk up the DaVinci Code as another chapter to be put aside BatBoy and the ramblings of Dr. Ruehl. :spin

Jekka
05-14-2006, 02:29 AM
and totally false. Now I will put off my Spurs hat tonight and put on my theological hat. The gnostics, in a nutshell, believed that all matter was bad and spirit was good and that the way to being holy was to deny oneself anything that benefited you physically. Ireneas (sic) and the Church Fathers renounced these people as heretics.

The Church Fathers also told women to remain virgins in order to be like men because you had to be male to be closest to God - so not everyone exactly had their priorities straight at the time of Christianity's formation. The version of Christianity that succeeded did so because its leaders altered local power structures and persecuted anyone belonging to gnostic faiths, effectively eradicating the practice of most of the sects of Gnosticism.

The gnostics also believed that some were entitled to special revelation from God himself.

How is this different from the idea of Predestination that many Christians still subscribe to even today?

This is in total contradiction to what Jesus said when he was brought before the courts and said "in secret I have said nothing." Chalk up the DaVinci Code as another chapter to be put aside BatBoy and the ramblings of Dr. Ruehl. :spin

I am by no means saying that The Da Vinci Code is possible, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate really, but there are aspects of it that are not completely outlandish when you read some of the texts that were not included in the Bible. It's an interesting fictional theory that Dan Brown proposes, but it's still fiction.

MannyIsGod
05-14-2006, 04:08 AM
:lmao @ Alvarez being one of the smartest people in the forum. Priceless.

MannyIsGod
05-14-2006, 04:19 AM
It really kinda is. And that is sad.

SLOVENIAN 8
05-14-2006, 07:42 AM
The world premier of Da Vinci Code is on 18. May 2006. That is in thursday. I have tickets so i go watch it. I hope it is good :spin

JoeChalupa
05-15-2006, 07:25 AM
I guess this Davinci thing is like the myspace craze....I don't get it.

I've been tempted to buy the book but will wait and just borrow it from somebody.

polandprzem
05-15-2006, 10:45 AM
I hope it is a good fiction movie.

I want to go and hopefully it will be still in cinema a month from now

lilmads
05-15-2006, 10:59 AM
I loved the book... I liked it better than Angels and Demons.. but a lotta people prefer Angels and Demons.. Digital Fortress was also pretty good:)
I can't wait for the movie!

ALVAREZ6
05-15-2006, 05:43 PM
fuck you all :)

Spam
05-15-2006, 05:45 PM
The book was okay.

atxrocker
05-15-2006, 08:58 PM
after seeing tom hanks hair in that movie, no thanks

Pistons < Spurs
05-17-2006, 08:11 AM
Well it sounds like the critics and others who've seen it think the movie is not very good.

The movie did receive some lukewarm praise, but the majority of the response was highly critical.

One scene during the film, meant to be serious, elicited prolonged laughter from the audience. There was no applause when the credits rolled; instead, a few catcalls and hisses broke the silence.

The Hollywood Reporter headlined its review, " 'Da Vinci Code' an unwieldy, bloated puzzle."

"No chemistry exists between the hero and heroine, and motivation remains a troubling sore point," wrote reviewer Kirk Honeycutt, panning Tom Hanks' "remote, even wooden performance." Only co-star Ian McKellen managed to avoid criticism.