PDA

View Full Version : Mav's wife gets her ring back

Jimcs50
05-13-2006, 12:34 PM
Mav's wife gets her ring back
Multicarat sparkler's return rewarded

12:36 AM CDT on Saturday, May 13, 2006
By KRISTEN HOLLAND / The Dallas Morning News

While Dallas Mavericks guard Darrell Armstrong seeks the ring that would come with an NBA championship, his wife is just happy to have her missing wedding ring returned. Dallas Mavericks guard Darrell Armstrong and his wife, Deidra, were both on a quest for a ring this week.

For Mr. Armstrong, it was the ring that comes with an eventual NBA championship.

For his wife, it was something far more personal – her wedding ring.

While the Mavericks recovered from their Game 1 loss to the San Antonio Spurs, University Park resident Sally Davis was parking in front of the CVS pharmacy in Snider Plaza on Monday. She spotted something shiny outside the pharmacy. It was a multicarat diamond wedding ring.

When no one in the pharmacy claimed it, Mrs. Davis went to University Park police.

"The human part of me wanted to keep it," said Mrs. Davis, who has three children. "But the other part of me, I just knew I had to honor God and do the right thing. I had to go straight to the Police Department. It was too much of a temptation."

Her good deed paid off when Mrs. Armstrong called to inquire about the ring. Mrs. Davis had left her name and number at the pharmacy in case anybody called asking about it.

"She calls me, and we're both really guarded because she didn't want to say what she'd lost, and I didn't want to say what I'd found," Mrs. Davis said. "So, she sends her husband off to the police station."

The next conversation between the two women was a little more relaxed.

Mrs. Armstrong offered thanks – and tickets for the family of five to the Mavericks-Spurs playoff series. :smokin Mr. Armstrong is also going to autograph a jersey for Mrs. Davis' son, a football player at Highland Park High School.

"You're just blessed to have people who are honest in this world," Mr. Armstrong said. "Rich or poor, it doesn't matter; it's just amazing that you have so many honest folks."

Though Mrs. Davis said she hoped nobody would claim the ring, she's glad it's back where it belongs.

"I knew the ring was valuable the moment I saw it and that the owner would be heartbroken without it," she said.

Staff writer Eddie Sefko contributed to this report.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Good to see that there are still honest people in the world.

:smokin

Jimcs50
05-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Stackhouse adds scowl to scoring
Reserve provides boost with Spurs focusing on Nowitzki

11:19 PM CDT on Friday, May 12, 2006
By RACHEL COHEN / The Dallas Morning News

Jerry Stackhouse's technical foul wasn't going to keep the Mavericks from winning Game 2. And maybe it could help lead to a victory later in the series.

Less than eight minutes remained in Tuesday night's game in San Antonio, and Dallas enjoyed an 18-point lead over the Spurs. That's when Stackhouse blocked Michael Finley's shot, then proceeded to stare him down.

Mavericks/NBA
SMS: Sports to your phone

Inside the Mavericks

Mavericks vs. Spurs
Series tied, 1-1

Stackhouse drew a technical foul, and he wasn't apologizing for it Friday. For a team like the Mavericks trying to toughen up a soft reputation, a little intimidation isn't a bad thing.

"It's just gamesmanship," Stackhouse said. "It was a block. And how he landed and I was trying to get my balance, so I stood there a little longer than I had to. It was at a point where it didn't really hurt us.

"We were in a hostile environment. We don't need that at home because we already have enough energy. But it's like us against the world on the road, so every little psychological advantage you can get, we'll take it."

Stackhouse has been fearless so far in the series, which is tied 1-1 and moves to Dallas today for Game 3. He's taken 33 shots through the first two contests, hitting 16. His 21.5-point average ranks second on the team.

"We're counting on him to come in and get buckets for us, and that's one of the things he's been doing this series," Josh Howard said. "We're going to need him to continue to do that if we want to win it."

Stackhouse downplayed his increased involvement in the second round, calling it a result of the Spurs double-teaming Nowitzki. "We just shared the ball," he said.

Much attention has been paid to the Mavericks' lineup change in Game 2.

"All that chess match stuff works for the first quarter or whatever," Stackhouse said. "But then it comes down to what it's always about – competing and which team wants it the most."

Staff Writer Eddie Sefko contributed to this report.

E-mail [email protected]

Jimcs50
05-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Sub-plots: Dirk, Duncan may not tell tale

01:55 AM CDT on Saturday, May 13, 2006
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Somewhere, a bunch of television Einsteins were in a room floating an idea of stopping the best series in the NBA playoffs for four days.

"Brilliant," they said, raising cold beverages.

Or maybe not. But regardless of whether the schedulers have mucked up the rhythm of the Mavericks' ongoing climb up Mount Spur, their Western Conference semifinal resumes tonight. Sorry for the interruption.

But there is good news. Just as San Antonio overcame the traitorous schedule to win Game 1 after a quick turnaround for them, both teams no doubt can overcome this long break.

Mainly, the Mavericks and Spurs can get back to the business of disproving all the analysts who believed this series would tilt on whichever superstar dominated.

So far, Tim Duncan has been very good, and Dirk Nowitzki has been a notch below. But it's everybody else on the court who has been crucial in getting this best-of-7 set to 1-1 going into all-important Game 3 at 7 p.m.

Nowitzki has averaged 20.5 points, more than 10 below what he torched Memphis for in the first round. Duncan has poured in 29.5 points but also dealt with foul trouble in Game 2. Other than that, he's been terrific. And the Mavericks appear content to let him be just that, as long as the supporting cast is limited.

As for Nowitzki, he's gotten it. He realizes he doesn't have to score 30 to be at his best in this series.

"Every series is different and brings new challenges," Nowitzki said. "In the Memphis series, they pretty much played me with a big guy all series long and with single coverage. So I was able to do whatever I wanted.

"San Antonio all season long has been trying to take that away from me. Every time I post up, they send a big guy or a small guy. Sometimes when I put the ball on the floor, three guys are coming. They want to make sure I never have my rhythm. I have to do other things to help my team win. Game 1, I wasn't very efficient. Game 2 was a lot better, and I'm looking for more of the same."

Duncan vowed Friday before the Spurs left San Antonio that he would be more aggressive today than he was in the first two games.

The Mavericks expect nothing less.

"I think they're going to give more touches to Tim down low," said Josh Howard, the Mavericks' leading scorer in the series at 22 points per game. "That's going to be a test. Game 3 is going to let us know where we're at."

The Mavericks obviously would like to deal from a position of strength. Last season in the second round, they never led the series against Phoenix and lost in six games.

But taking the lead doesn't mean weighing down Nowitzki's shoulders.

"We feel like we have options where we can get some offense, and that's why we don't need Dirk to force anything," Avery Johnson said. "If they're going to double-team him like they do, we're playing 4-on-3 against them somewhere else."

And while Duncan's scoring has been the bulk of San Antonio's offense, the Mavericks have done a representative job of keeping Duncan off balance just enough to render the Spurs beatable.

"A lot of people are wrong a lot," said Jerry Stackhouse about the theory that Nowitzki or Duncan would be the decisive factors. "Whenever you have really good teams, the X-factors become more important. Your best players are going to have a presence on the court to offset what the other one is doing on the floor.

"How they're trying to play Dirk is allowing guys to get a half-step advantage, and that's a good thing for us."

A very good thing, because Nowitzki has been able to occupy so much of the Spurs' defensive attention. He's found a way to help the Mavs even without getting past Bruce Bowen's sticky defense.

"I don't really need to get past it if everybody's playing well," Nowitzki said. "I only took 11 shots in Game 2, but it was efficient. Guys were able to make plays for us and walk down the lane and make some layups. Really, that's all we need. For me, this is more a series of having an all-around game."

timvp
05-13-2006, 12:37 PM
That's the only ring a Mav is getting this year.

:smchode:

weebo
05-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Why is Armstrong's wife lost ring even news?....Who gives a shit

Jimcs50
05-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Why is Armstrong's wife lost ring even news?....Who gives a shit

The news was on ESPN's news, so I guess it is newsworthy. I guess they need something to talk about.

A-Train
05-13-2006, 12:52 PM
The second article says a lot. It's easier to play the Mavs when it's Nowitzki alone. It's also easier when you control the paint.

Brutalis
05-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Free tickets? Uh thanks. Here's your million dollar ring back.

clubalien
05-13-2006, 12:53 PM
when malik rose "lost" his ring it was posted here.

angel_luv
05-13-2006, 01:33 PM
That's the only ring a Mav is getting this year.

:smchode:

You beat me to it! :fro

Holmes_Fans
05-13-2006, 03:36 PM
That's what I was thinking. If the lady lives in Highland Park she doesn't need free tickets.

Leetonidas
05-13-2006, 03:57 PM
when malik rose "lost" his ring it was posted here.

Championship ring > Wedding Ring

Jimcs50
05-13-2006, 04:21 PM
That's what I was thinking. If the lady lives in Highland Park she doesn't need free tickets.

She lives in University Park, that is a middle class neighborhood, near Highland Park.

ashbeeigh
05-13-2006, 04:51 PM

If you add up the price of five good Mavs/Spurs seats they could get pricey. But I see your point. And the jersey, if put in a booster club auction could make the school a lot mof money.