PDA

View Full Version : Brown done in New York???

Pistons < Spurs
05-14-2006, 09:57 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2444469

Report: Dolan considers buying out Brown's contract

Larry Brown's dream job with the New York Knicks could end after only one season.

Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan, who's upset over Brown's record and the coach's public criticism of his players, is considering buying out the final four years of the coach's contract, the New York Daily News reported in Sunday's editions.

The buyout is worth at least $40 million, the newspaper reported.

The Knicks declined to comment.

One published report indicated Knicks president Isiah Thomas was in line to replace Brown as head coach, the newspaper said, but the team would not confirm nor deny it.

Brown, who led the Knicks to a 23-59 season, has indicated that he will not resign. But the club could avoid having to pay another coach upward of $5 million a year if Thomas takes the job, the Daily News reported. One source told the newspaper that Thomas -- who coached the Pacers from 2000-2003 -- would be amenable to coaching the Knicks.

In April, one day after the Knicks completed one of the worst seasons in franchise history, Thomas said the Hall of Fame coach would return to coach the team for a second season. The underachieving roster was another story.

"I am loyal to winning and I am not loyal to any singular individual," Thomas said then. "I'm going to do what I need to do to make our team better. ...

"When you won 23 games, I think we'll make some changes," he said. "Coach and I haven't sat down and fully decided what changes we'll make, but we'll probably make some changes."

ducks
05-14-2006, 10:13 AM
larry deserves the boot
he tanked games to look better this coming season

ducks
05-14-2006, 10:14 AM
be intersting to see if kings want him if buyout happens

Darrin
05-14-2006, 12:33 PM
This story deserves two words:

Dream Job.

Reggie Miller
05-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Larry Brown is not the most overrated coach ever, because Don Nelson and Doug Moe have to figure in there somewhere... :)

That said, I've always hated Brown, becuse I think that without that megalomaniac (and his "favorites"), the Pacers would have won a championship in that brief "Jordan-free" window. Without Brown's overbearing, yet gnomish, shadow casting a pall, Flip and the Pistons only won 64 games. Brown is the only coach to totally get stomped with NBA players in international competition. Basically, Brown had a roster where most of the best players were younger. Did Brown adapt? Nope, he continued to lose with"veteran" players, none of whom were "veterans" to FIBA. Brown definitely knows his Xs and Os, but he is another coach who has to be THE SHOW.

Sorry for the venting. Real questions: Is this really Brown being Brown and bailing; thus, the Knicks want to get the first and last word (and look in control)? Is this Isaiah Thomas showing that he is even more insane than Brown? One thing's for sure; it won't be dull (in a trainwreck sort of way).

Best things that ever happened to the Pacers and Pistons organizations: the days that they cut ties with Brown and Thomas. Red letter days, ladies and gentlemen.

mike detroit
05-14-2006, 07:35 PM
putting isiah in as head coach is sure to turn things around for the knicks....

ok I almost said it without laughing

atxrocker
05-14-2006, 07:54 PM
be intersting to see if kings want him if buyout happens

that would be a nightmare, no thanks. larry would not allow artest the freedom that adelman did and a happy artest is a productive artest

Spurologist
05-14-2006, 08:34 PM

:lol It was just reported on Sportscenter that it might happen.

If I were the knicks, I'd keep Brown and send Thomas packing or demote him to a scout or something.

T-Pain
05-14-2006, 08:37 PM
thats incredible. i cant believe they already want to get rid of him

RON ARTEST
05-15-2006, 12:01 AM
that would be a nightmare, no thanks. larry would not allow artest the freedom that adelman did and a happy artest is a productive artesti dont know. i think i would cry tears of joy if larry camne here. hes a great coach and the reason he struggled with the knicks is because those idiots were selfish and didnt listen. hes a better coach when he has veterans who know what they are doing. and thats exactly what our kings have. it will be very interesting to see what happens with this. im so freaking excited.

RON ARTEST
05-15-2006, 12:02 AM
:lol It was just reported on Sportscenter that it might happen.

If I were the knicks, I'd keep Brown and send Thomas packing or demote him to a scout or something.
yeah i think thomas is the real problem. that is the worst GM i have ever fucking seen.

T-Pain
05-15-2006, 12:15 AM
yeah i think thomas is the real problem. that is the worst GM i have ever fucking seen.
i think ESPN said if they do get rid of Brown, Isiah would replace him

Winnipeg_Spur
05-15-2006, 12:42 AM

Seriously this would be the greatest thing ever, I'd love to see Isiah in total control of the Knicks. :lol

I'm just curious if Thomas is a worse GM or coach? His Pacer teams had a ton of talent, but they all underachieved. On the other hand his job in New York speaks for itself. It's a really tough question, but hopefully Isiah gets the job and we can get closer to answering it.

RON ARTEST
05-15-2006, 12:46 AM
i think ESPN said if they do get rid of Brown, Isiah would replace him
that would be even more of a disaster for that franchise. if you can even call them that. with thier salary cap situation they will suck forever.

ata
05-15-2006, 03:03 AM
larry deserves the boot

So does Zeke.

jochhejaam
05-15-2006, 06:24 AM
It took the Knicks 1 less year than the Pistons to figure out that Larry is all about Larry.

$40,000,000 is a nice severance package.

Pero
05-15-2006, 06:34 AM
hes a great coach and the reason he struggled with the knicks is because those idiots were selfish and didnt listen.

What if he won`t get along with Artest?

Texas_Ranger
05-15-2006, 06:40 AM
Goodbye Larry

Darrin
05-15-2006, 08:57 AM
http://www.pecamusic.com/music/videos/dream-job/images/dream-job.jpg

TDMVPDPOY
05-15-2006, 11:59 AM
larry n thomas should go

thomas fucked it up by bringin in overrated players

larry couldnt do shit with those scrubs

doesnt stop larry from being rich, the rich gets richer

RON ARTEST
05-15-2006, 12:05 PM
What if he won`t get along with Artest?
thats gonna be the question with any coach coming here. so i think we have to go after the best available.

Darrin
05-15-2006, 04:13 PM
thats gonna be the question with any coach coming here. so i think we have to go after the best available.

I think that if Artest fits his mold, he'd do a tremendous amount of good for that franchise. Look at the results in Dallas for a defensive-minded coach that is respected, getting offensive players to play D. The Kings should not get him a larger contract that 3 years, even if it means shooting up the price on the season.

ducks
05-15-2006, 04:20 PM
rick should be the coach for the knicks not thomas

RON ARTEST
05-15-2006, 04:28 PM
rick should be the coach for the knicks not thomas
when you say rick do you mean adleman? he said he didnt wanna go to the east and hes not gonna coach next season.

ducks
05-15-2006, 06:36 PM
knicks could offer him stupid money and he would coach next year imo

RON ARTEST
05-15-2006, 08:58 PM
knicks could offer him stupid money and he would coach next year imo
his son is in his last year and school and adelman says he wants to spend time with him until he goes to college. anything can happen but its highly unlikely he would do something stupid like that and go to that mess of a franchise.