PDA

View Full Version : Is Pop pouting?

Fabbs
05-14-2006, 10:57 AM
Sorry but i gotta bring it up after
1. the halftime comments
2. post game comments. Including what he would n-o-t say. Like 50 things and 24 that Kobe N. was handed, the last two being the topper. Speak up Pop!

All Pop will do is comment loop-replay the lack of defense. Earth to Pop, not only is offense a part of the game, offense often dictates what kind of position your defense will be in at the start of transition.

Don't want to get into Xs and Os on this thread, although if you want to, fine. Many times down the floor I saw a team that looked like it had not played together at all and has zero zip nada offensive plan. Tony holding the ball for 20 seconds then forcing up another brick. I thought one of the more backwords possession was late in the game Tim comes up high post and gets the ball from Manu. Gives it back GNob who drives but is shut off, tosses it back to Tim outside the FT line. Clock about ready to go off, Tim has to force up a shot. No chance for O board. Its ass backwords. Earlier in the game, fine. Late, that should have been Duncan down low.

Anywho back to Pop, i saw sulking egotistical pouting when he was asked about game and current team. "Well the other teams had an emphasis on Defense". Look Pop, go back to 2003 and your obsession with D and ignorance of O. You had NO plans to play Stevie Kerr. None. Dont bull us.
Kerr came in and banged out 4-4 treys and did a great job of feeding Duncan with post passes. Something the other Spurs guards were blowing all night. All indications were Dallas was going to make it 3-3 until Kerr went off. Dont bull us for one second that it was your idea. Kerr did that on his own 100%.
My feeling is Pop wants his signature on the win so badly (D) that he will not open up the O.

Likewise this year, we aint gonna win with D alone. Stop pouting and open the O up. Turn it over to PJ 100% if neccessary.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-14-2006, 10:59 AM
:td Other teams had an emphasis on defense because *Pop* was willing to play more than one person over the height of 6'8". If he wants defense he needs to look in the mirror at his substitutions.

gospursgojas
05-14-2006, 11:29 AM
Sorry but i gotta bring it up after
1. the halftime comments
2. post game comments. Including what he would n-o-t say. Like 50 things and 24 that Kobe N. was handed, the last two being the topper. Speak up Pop!

All Pop will do is comment loop-replay the lack of defense. Earth to Pop, not only is offense a part of the game, offense often dictates what kind of position your defense will be in at the start of transition.

Don't want to get into Xs and Os on this thread, although if you want to, fine. Many times down the floor I saw a team that looked like it had not played together at all and has zero zip nada offensive plan. Tony holding the ball for 20 seconds then forcing up another brick. I thought one of the more backwords possession was late in the game Tim comes up high post and gets the ball from Manu. Gives it back GNob who drives but is shut off, tosses it back to Tim outside the FT line. Clock about ready to go off, Tim has to force up a shot. No chance for O board. Its ass backwords. Earlier in the game, fine. Late, that should have been Duncan down low.

Anywho back to Pop, i saw sulking egotistical pouting when he was asked about game and current team. "Well the other teams had an emphasis on Defense". Look Pop, go back to 2003 and your obsession with D and ignorance of O. You had NO plans to play Stevie Kerr. None. Dont bull us.
Kerr came in and banged out 4-4 treys and did a great job of feeding Duncan with post passes. Something the other Spurs guards were blowing all night. All indications were Dallas was going to make it 3-3 until Kerr went off. Dont bull us for one second that it was your idea. Kerr did that on his own 100%.
My feeling is Pop wants his signature on the win so badly (D) that he will not open up the O.

Likewise this year, we aint gonna win with D alone. Stop pouting and open the O up. Turn it over to PJ 100% if neccessary.

What?

Fabbs
05-14-2006, 11:49 AM
What?
Are you disagreeing or asking for a dumbed down version?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Um I don't want to embarass you but....this quote, "Well the other teams had an emphasis on Defense".

was him referring to the MAVS. NOT THE SPURS. And it wasn't stated that way, he said (paraphrased)"I don't think it's about intensity. They were always intense, it's just this team has an emphasis on defense." Were you zoning out when you were listening or something??

It was a question about playing the MAVS in past postseasons, GENIUS.

i don't know how fan bashing on your own team could get any worse.

exstatic
05-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Are you disagreeing or asking for a dumbed down version?
I think your first version was dumb enough.

Fabbs
05-14-2006, 01:36 PM
I think your first version was dumb enough.

That you think the Spurs offense does not need to improve shows your stupidity.

Kori Ellis
05-14-2006, 01:37 PM

The Spurs scored 103 points last night. So, though the ball movement was lame and the offense was stagnant at times, they still scored.

They need to improve their D.

Fabbs
05-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Um I don't want to embarass you but....this quote, "Well the other teams had an emphasis on Defense".

was him referring to the MAVS. NOT THE SPURS. And it wasn't stated that way, he said (paraphrased)"I don't think it's about intensity. They were always intense, it's just this team has an emphasis on defense." Were you zoning out when you were listening or something??

It was a question about playing the MAVS in past postseasons, GENIUS.

i don't know how fan bashing on your own team could get any worse.

Huh? No. I heard it as how would you compare this years Spurs team to other Spurs teams.

Wanting the Spurs to improve does not equal fan bashing on ones own team.
Same comment to you as the other genius if you think the Spurs O is just fine and dandy.

Fabbs
05-14-2006, 01:40 PM
The Spurs scored 103 points last night. So, though the ball movement was lame and the offense was stagnant at times, they still scored.

They need to improve their D.

Gee how about improving their O and D?
Does needing to improve their D cancel out the need to improve their O?

Kori Ellis
05-14-2006, 01:43 PM
Gee how about improving their O and D?
Does needing to improve their D cancel out the need to improve their O?

No, obviously the offense needs tweaking. But you do realize that the Spurs outscored the Mavericks in 3 of the 4 quarters last night. And the Spurs looked very good offense in the 2nd half. They just couldn't get a stop on defense. The reason they lost is because they couldn't get the stops they needed to.

A Spurs team shouldn't be giving up 104.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-14-2006, 01:43 PM
Huh? No. I heard it as how would you compare this years Spurs team to other Spurs teams.

Wanting the Spurs to improve does not equal fan bashing on ones own team.
Same comment to you as the other genius if you think the Spurs O is just fine and dandy.
Go Check back.. it was distinctly MAVS NOW COMPARED TO THEN...Nba.com/spurs

Don't go off your reconstructed memory.. Go off facts...or are you just so in denial that you got exposed on your faux pas. Nice that you're retreating to other parts of the thread that I wasn't exactly debasing, dumbass...You start changing your tune now? Where have I disagreed with your O' in my post, or Extactic?...I'm just calling out your asinine criticism of a non-existent Pop quote. Nice try in putting words in my mouth about Offensive schemes, when I had no objections about that.. But I guess you're good at putting words in people's mouths.

exstatic
05-14-2006, 01:45 PM
What Kori said. If you can't get stops, you don't win. 103 points should be enough for the Spurs to win 99.99% of the time. Not this year, though.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-14-2006, 01:52 PM
It was about the stops...Manu and Pop emphasized this in the postgame interview-- and that one play where Duncan threw in a the last second shot.. That was a GOOD open look that Tim usually knocks down, how bout' it was the Pressure from Dallas that caused a few last second shots?...Other than that one play, most of his shots were under the basket...So I don't know why you cherrypicked that offensive play, out of the numerous times they DID put themselves in good position to rebound when they kept attacking the basket... Good Defense leads to Good Offense. Everyone knows this. We need to hold Mavs under us by 10 points in game 4.

Fabbs
05-14-2006, 02:30 PM
No, obviously the offense needs tweaking. But you do realize that the Spurs outscored the Mavericks in 3 of the 4 quarters last night. And the Spurs looked very good offense in the 2nd half. They just couldn't get a stop on defense. The reason they lost is because they couldn't get the stops they needed to.

We can agree then that the offense needs tweaking. :clap We can also respectfully diagree that adjusting the D is more important then adjusting the O. Spurs can also win just as easily by 112-104. Yes i realize we won 3 of 4 quarters, however i attribute much of the Mavs 1st qtr O to being in postion after such weak offerings by the Spurs O/Dirks pathetic Kobe treatment by zebras. Half the time in the 1st qtr Tony was walking the ball up, or at least coming up at half speed. It's like we were allowing the Mavs to set up on D. What is up with that? Even if we dont want to shoot early in the 24 second clock, lets have some motion and passing and make them work on D. Stagnation instead helps them set up for their O if the Spurs miss, which we were what, 28% in the 1st quarter? This bit about having Tony and Tim on one side while the other three literally stand around the other side of the arc is bogile.

I saw plenty of stops down the stretch. Are we okay to talk about them or does it have to go on that one thread? :spin That the Mavs got 16 of their last 20 pts on FTs is not due to Spurs failing to stop them.
Most notable:
1. After we go up 98-95 Bowen and Barry hound Dirk into losing the ball and falling out of bounds. That was a stop!
2. After SuperGnob goes right and hits for 103-102 lead, Stackhouse misses the jumper. Dork rebounds, misses the putback and we get the rebound with 7 seconds left. That was a stop! If anyone taped, I did not see Dirk even get touched. :madrun Certainly not by Barry, whom the call was made on. Barry was two feet away from any body contact with PamperdDirk. Or would ABC even bother with a replay on the games most important play? I did not tape.

I get it that D will always keep you in a game. It's not going to give you a win anywhere near 100% tho. Offense to me is just as important. Good Offense Leads to Good Defense just as much as Good Defense Leads to Good Offense. We can agree to disagree, okay. (kiss icon)
I referenced 2003 Game 6 because that is a game where the Spurs defense was good, yet we were about to get run, trailing 71-58 with only 10 minutes left in the 4th. Enter Stevie Kerr, who had played only 13 minutes in the prior 5 games. 71 points was good D, yet it was Kerrs O in both treys and assists and post entry passes to Dunkar that gave us the game.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz I chose that play because the Dallas D in no way shape or form caused it. Manu farted around near the top of the arc for 18 of the 24 seconds. When Manu drove and the Mavs closed it was a desparation pass back to Duncan. Unforced error. Yes I concur Duncan had hit several of those jumpers earlier. Yet he looked forced and uncomfortable on that one.

As to the quote being about Dallas, if you taped it or know for sure, i was wrong. I cannot come down to Texas today to unbunch your panties, ManuTim_best of Fwiendz. Nor will I on any other day. :lol My stance on Pop and the Spurs O remains the same.

ploto
05-14-2006, 06:17 PM

Only gave up 85 in game one- and that was with Stackhouse shooting out of his mind.

Fabbs
05-14-2006, 08:17 PM
Only gave up 85 in game one- and that was with Stackhouse shooting out of his mind.

While the rest of the Mavs shot 37%. Yes that would be nice if we could count on that happening 3 more times.
Might be more realistic to plan on at least one of the remaining 3 victories needed being with a score like last years wins vs Phx in the playoffs.
121-114
111-108
102-92 Maybe this one will keep the Defensive people happy as well as myself.

ploto
05-14-2006, 10:42 PM
Pop said today that the offense is scoring enough points to win-- that the defense needs to be better-- and that teams should not be scoring over 100 points against the Spurs.

During the regular season in the 2 wins, the Spurs held Dallas to 89 and 90 points.

Even in the two losses, Dallas had 92 and 103.

In these two play-off losses, Dallas has scored 113 and 104. That is just too many points to give up.