PDA

View Full Version : Spurs won't be Stern's pick this year

LakerGod
10-09-2004, 12:18 AM
So forget it. You'll probably shoot a million free throws in the regular season and maybe the early rounds of the playoffs. But then he will pull the plug.

It will be another East Coast team winning the title.

You know sterns fetish....you can almost hear him singing it " parity...parity...parity."

Probably Indiana Vs. Minnesota this year.

Indiana in 6, New Champs in 2005

Stephen Jackson with his second ring in three years. :smokin

Iron Giant
10-09-2004, 01:56 AM
Stephen Jackson with his second ring in three years.What, he's going to get a belly button piercing? That's the only way he gets another ring this year. http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/lmao.gif

T Park
10-09-2004, 01:58 AM
If Stern wants an east coast team, why Indiana??

Can you spell T-R-O-L-L

iminlakerland
10-09-2004, 02:17 AM
Lame...

LakerGod
10-09-2004, 03:29 AM
I hope you don't actually believe the Spurs are going to be in the NBA Finals, do you?

Kaster
10-09-2004, 03:30 AM
You make Laker fans look incredibly stupid. Stern has absolutely no control over how teams perform in the playoffs. He cannot predict injuries, players choking, or any of a million other factors. You were probably one of those losers claiming the refs stopped the Lakers from winning the Finals this year.

Get over it, Pistons played incredible ball, Malone got hurt, Phil stopped coaching, and the Lakers got bitch slapped.

LakerGod
10-09-2004, 03:35 AM
I'm going to save this thread and by the end of the 2004-2005 season I'll bring it back on top to prove my case.

LakerGod
10-09-2004, 03:42 AM
If you don't believe just ask Pooh about his team, they had the best record last season, injuries was the only reason they didn't make it to the Finals.

picnroll
10-09-2004, 04:56 AM
What's up Laker Lanny? Glad to see you could make it over. We can always use a little pussy around here.

xcoriate
10-09-2004, 06:57 AM
So...

Stupid

Im Here Huckleberry
10-09-2004, 07:51 AM
:sleep

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-09-2004, 09:20 AM
Lanny?

exstatic
10-09-2004, 12:22 PM
Faker Fanny. Classic. He's too fucking stupid.

2pac
10-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Lanny picked Dominant Center as his position. By this I am sure he means Uwed Blab - because that is the player that works best with his posting style.

LakerGod
10-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Wrong!

I'm not LakerLanny

ShoogarBear
10-09-2004, 12:48 PM
Then something even more pathetic (which I didn't believe was possible) . . . a Lanny wannabee.

adidas11
10-09-2004, 01:13 PM
He's LakerLanny. Don't let him fool you.

pooh
10-09-2004, 02:33 PM
If you don't believe just ask Pooh about his team, they had the best record last season, injuries was the only reason they didn't make it to the Finals.

They already know...and will know once again.

picnroll
10-09-2004, 02:47 PM
Notice that he spelled LakerLanny when I'd written Laker Lanny. What a dipshit. You're right ShoogaBear, he's either LakerPussy or a pussy jr.

Pacers my ass. They barely got past Miami who only had that old hag Grant, the pothead Odom and a rookie that made a fool out of Mr Defense. Hell NJ with Kidd on one leg put up a better fight against Detroit than the Poohsies.

dcole50
10-09-2004, 03:59 PM
I hope you don't actually believe the Spurs are going to be in the NBA Finals, do you?I hope you don't actually believe the Lakers are going to make the playoffs, do you?

Duff McCartney
10-09-2004, 04:06 PM
They already know...and will know once again.

Yeah when the Pacers don't make the Finals..we'll know again.

pooh
10-09-2004, 04:08 PM
They will make the finals.

1Parker1
10-09-2004, 04:19 PM
Ahhhhh....and so it starts again :)

slayermin
10-09-2004, 06:50 PM
All I know is that Los Angeles is Tim Duncan's city for the next five years. He's gonna do LA like he did Salt Lake City.

Kaster
10-09-2004, 07:25 PM
No, I don't think it's Lanny. Lanny's a moron and all, but in my experience he has always been up front about his retardation. This Laker fan seems mostly delusional and in denial that Shaq was traded.

I suggest the following LakerGod: www.nba.com/heat

whottt
10-09-2004, 09:18 PM
You make Laker fans look incredibly stupid.

Not his fault...IME it's pretty much is a requirment for being a LakerFan...Genetic disposition if you will. Otherwise they'd clearly be SpurFans.

whottt
10-09-2004, 09:23 PM
If it is Lanny it's good to see him broken...you notice this LakerFan doesn't even dare to try and say his team will make the finals.

LMAO...

LakerFan reduced to touting East Coast Teams for the title - Priceless

Enjoy the season of no hope LakerFan.

missmyzte
10-09-2004, 10:41 PM
Not his fault...IME it's pretty much is a requirment for being a LakerFan...Genetic disposition if you will. Otherwise they'd clearly be SpurFans.

Not ALL Lakers fans ... some of us are okay. :p

Kaster
10-09-2004, 11:48 PM

Is that really the best whotttttt can do? :lol

LakerGod
10-10-2004, 12:08 AM
Even though I didn't like when Shaq was traded, I will always be a Laker fan

I bleed Purple & Gold.

Lakers might not even make the NBA Finals this season but neither the Spurs and that my friends I PROMISE YOU.

samikeyp
10-10-2004, 12:53 AM
They will make the finals.

Much like last year no doubt. :p

whottt
10-10-2004, 08:12 AM
Not ALL Lakers fans ... some of us are okay. :p

missmyzte, I've read your reports here and at SR and SC and to tell you the truth...I didn't even know you were a LakerFan from your reports. I just thought you were a fellow Horry fan. Weren't you real big on the Spurs resigning him this summer?

I don't really believe all LakerFans are genetically disposed to stupidity :), these guys talk smack here too... But Kaster certainly isn't one who needs to be going around drawing the line of stupidity for other LakersFans.

dcole50
10-10-2004, 10:46 AM
I bleed Purple & Gold.Go see a doctor. Har har .. yeah, I know that was terribly lame.

Lakers might not even make the NBA Finals this season but neither the Spurs and that my friends I PROMISE YOU.Talk is easy. And it's funny that your main hopes for the season appear to be that the Spurs don't make the finals, not that your team performs well. We really got underneath your skin, didn't we? Hah.

missmyzte
10-10-2004, 12:00 PM
missmyzte, I've read your reports here and at SR and SC and to tell you the truth...I didn't even know you were a LakerFan from your reports. I just thought you were a fellow Horry fan. Weren't you real big on the Spurs resigning him this summer?

I was hoping the Spurs would re-sign Horry because I knew that he wouldn't go back to LA and I'd much rather have him in SA than in Miami. I have a real appreciation for the Spurs, besides they are in the western conference so that means they come to LA 4 times a year rather than the 2 times that the EC visits.

I have been accused of trying to "rub in the Lakers" by posting too much pro-Lakers stuff on Spurs boards so I try to keep most of my talk on Spurs boards about the Spurs and on Lakers boards about the Lakers. Just a little tid-bit here and there to say yes, I am a Lakers fan.

Kori Ellis
10-10-2004, 12:09 PM
You can post all the Lakers smack you want here. As long as it has some substance. I give you permission. :)

Kaster
10-10-2004, 06:39 PM
... But Kaster certainly isn't one who needs to be going around drawing the line of stupidity for other LakersFans.

Sure I am, I actually know what I'm talking about. You, on the other hand, believe David Robinson was a top 3 center of all time.

smeagol
10-10-2004, 09:38 PM
Lakers might not even make the NBA Finals this season but neither the Spurs and that my friends I PROMISE YOU.

Most of the Laker Fans that post here know what they are talking about.

You, on the other hand, seem to be clueless.

Unless the word God in your name means you are the all-knowing, all-powerfull, all-mercifull God of all creation, your promises mean nothing to me.

For the record, I donīt think you are old, good-for-nothing, dipshit LL.

Man In Black
10-10-2004, 10:21 PM
It ain't LL. Trust me, I know his style. He is the type to go up in your face and cite his "Circle of 7" resets and his free-throw counting irrespective of the fact that the Lakers didn't play any serious defense the last 2 eliminations :)

Remember this quote?

---Phil's rotation of course sucked arseand there were some criminal calls (the Kobe T, the Manu flop, etc.) but considering we had a double digit FT attempt advantage and none of the infamous "Circle of 7" I cannot even complain and I am friggen Laker Lanny, the King of All Officiating Diatribes.---

LakerFraud is more like it. Get used to McGrady in LA because that is all you'll be seeing from the ALLEGED RAPIST. His game is going to suffer hardcore without a dominant interior big and if you're one of those fools that say he is the next Jordan, TAKE A BIG LOOK AT THE TALENT ON THE FLOOR. You may or may not have a Pippen in Odom, but you lack a Horace Grant, Dennis Rodman, Charles Oakley type and a killer shooter like Steve Kerr or John Paxson type. Until Meeatch can find players that have that skill set, I'm feeling 42-47 games won MAX.

missmyzte
10-10-2004, 10:59 PM
Ouch, harsh words from you MiB. I can't say yet how the Lakers as a team will perform because I haven't seen them together yet. I think they will be better than the haters anticipate but they will suffer without having a dominant center. There will be some growing pains but as long as Kobe is in purple and gold, they will be in the playoffs and will play hard. Do I expect a championship with this group? Not yet, there are some missing pieces, but I will enjoy watching this team more now that Fox, Payton, Malone and Shaq are all gone.

ChumpDumper
10-10-2004, 11:05 PM
Dudes have to get rid of some of those small forwards. Mitch gets a C for his Shaq trade, maybe a bit higher given his self-perceived time constraints. Now the real work begins.

missmyzte
10-10-2004, 11:33 PM
Yeah, they definitely need to dump a couple small forwards. A legitimate center and a solid PG would be good additions. I'm hoping Brian Cook has a break-out year and makes the Lakers forget all about wanting Karl Malone. Okay, I know I'm dreaming there. :)

Ginofan
10-11-2004, 07:53 AM
There's always a chance that the Spurs won't make it to the Finals, so I'm not going to say they are definitely in...but the way they look right now it's hard to imagine them not making it. The West won't be won easily but you have to have the Spurs at the top of possible Finals canidates.

whottt
10-11-2004, 10:15 AM
Sure I am, I actually know what I'm talking about. You, on the other hand, believe David Robinson was a top 3 center of all time.

Link? I rated him 4th. Although it wouldn't faze me to rate him 3rd. You just criticized my opinion and backed up yours using nothing more than obnoxiousness and your ass.

Phenomanul
10-11-2004, 01:08 PM

Not a top 3 but definitely a top 5.... had he played for New York, or the Lakers it wouldn't even be a debatable topic...

Again, this is one of the negative effects of the Spurs' small market size... but don't hold it against David.

Whott showed (pretty convincinly I might add) on a thread in the older forum that David had Shaq's number when it came to head to head matchups. It wasn't till David hurt his back when O'Neal finally was able to get the edge...

But again... Shaq is marketed as some phenomenal, indomitable player... whose repertoire of powerful dunks are great material for sportscenter. David, on the other hand could dominate a game with class. And that my friend is something much more difficult to achieve ... in fact as far as other centers are concerned that's something only Hakeem could say.

2pac
10-11-2004, 03:06 PM
I think what bothers me most about this thread is the looming possibility that this was not posted by LakerLanny. If so - the fact that there are two idiots this big with internet access scares me.

annetteresendez
10-11-2004, 05:42 PM
So forget it. You'll probably shoot a million free throws in the regular season and maybe the early rounds of the playoffs. But then he will pull the plug.

It will be another East Coast team winning the title.

You know sterns fetish....you can almost hear him singing it " parity...parity...parity."

Probably Indiana Vs. Minnesota this year.

Indiana in 6, New Champs in 2005

Stephen Jackson with his second ring in three years. :smokin

indiana to win it all? have you gone mad? the pacers and grandpa reggie are nothing but choke artists. the best they might do is end the season with the best record in the league again. woo hoo. if they are lucky.

stephen jackson's chances to win another ring was past up when the spurs didnt take him. so sorry.

i'm glad you were honest and didnt choose the lakers to win it all. after their pathetic performance during the championship run they shouldnt be allowed to play for a whole year. they sure looked like a dynasty alright.

east coast got lucky. the trophy will be back in the west with the spurs, which are by the way, the best in the west. :lol

ZStomp
10-11-2004, 06:08 PM
Whoa!

Annettes on fire!

Kaster
10-11-2004, 10:40 PM
Link? I rated him 4th. Although it wouldn't faze me to rate him 3rd. You just criticized my opinion and backed up yours using nothing more than obnoxiousness and your ass.

LMAO! We've seen how well you can argue. Only the most die hard of homers would rate David Robinson ahead of Wilt, Kareem, Shaq or Dream. 5th is the absolute highest sane people would rank DRob at. It's not even debatable, though I'd love to hear your reasoning.

Not a top 3 but definitely a top 5.... had he played for New York, or the Lakers it wouldn't even be a debatable topic...

I don't see how the city he played in would have upped his stock that much. Dream is considered at least a top 4 center of all time and most people would put him top 3 actually, just ahead of Shaq. He played for Houston, hardly a dominant market like NY or LA.

Whott showed (pretty convincinly I might add) on a thread in the older forum that David had Shaq's number when it came to head to head matchups.

Actually no, he didn't. Even pre-97 DRob was consistently outplayed by Shaq. Look up the stats.

It wasn't till David hurt his back when O'Neal finally was able to get the edge...

Why mention DRob's back injury as an excuse but not mention Shaq's age? Shaq was 25 by the time DRob had the major back injury.

But again... Shaq is marketed as some phenomenal, indomitable player... whose repertoire of powerful dunks are great material for sportscenter. David, on the other hand could dominate a game with class. And that my friend is something much more difficult to achieve ... in fact as far as other centers are concerned that's something only Hakeem could say.

What, with class? What are you talking about? There's no question Shaq was a more dominant offensive force than Robinson. He was also able to dominate offensively for many more years, and his career still isn't over. He has reached 5 Finals on two different teams and won 3 championships in one fewer season than DRob. Sorry, Shaq > DRob. Take a poll on any non-Spurs or non-Lakers web site and you'll get the same answer. DRob's defensive domination is no where near Shaq's offensive domination. It has nothing to do with the cities they played in, Shaq was flat out better.

picnroll
10-11-2004, 11:18 PM
As an offensive player Shaq has the upperhand which seems to be 90% of the weighting most people instinctively give when measuring players. Over the course of a career, when it's all over, Shaq as a center will not be in the same league as a defensive player with DRob.

Phenomanul
10-12-2004, 12:15 AM
I don't see how the city he played in would have upped his stock that much. Dream is considered at least a top 4 center of all time and most people would put him top 3 actually, just ahead of Shaq. He played for Houston, hardly a dominant market like NY or LA.

Not dominant... but if you factor in the fact that Houston is the 4th largest city in the U.S. population wise... 3rd largest area wise. I would hardly say that Houston didn't have a large market... People in L.A. and N.Y. can become so self-absorbed in the grandeur of their cities, that they often forget civilization exists outside of them... Don't forget that the "sports market" itself is the product of a heavily empasized "TV" culture that prevails in cities like LaLa land and the Big Apple. So had David played there... don't doubt for a second, he would have been a force.... and to make my point clearer... been marketed as one.

Actually no, he didn't. Even pre-97 DRob was consistently outplayed by Shaq. Look up the stats.

Actually, YES he did... Whott showed the box scores for every single one of their head to head matchup's prior to his injury... David most definitely had the edge... You look up the stats.

Timvp or Kori, is that particular thread on the classics?

Why mention DRob's back injury as an excuse but not mention Shaq's age? Shaq was 25 by the time DRob had the major back injury.

That argument should be used in support of DRob. Shaq had the weight advantage and the youth advantage... you could also argue that he had a better superstar teammate in Penny and a better team.... and even then, David was able to overcome those odds to beat Shaq. Who scored 71 pts to deprive Shaq of a scoring title?

What, with class? What are you talking about? There's no question Shaq was a more dominant offensive force than Robinson. He was also able to dominate offensively for many more years, and his career still isn't over. He has reached 5 Finals on two different teams and won 3 championships in one fewer season than DRob. Sorry, Shaq > DRob. Take a poll on any non-Spurs or non-Lakers web site and you'll get the same answer. DRob's defensive domination is no where near Shaq's offensive domination. It has nothing to do with the cities they played in, Shaq was flat out better.

Uh...hello Kevin... you there... This whole thing started with you not giving David his props... David is most certainly a top-5 center and you seem to see that as some fantastic reach of the imagination...

The fact of the matter is when both players were in their prime, David owned Shaq.... and please don't respond until you get your facts straight... Read the boxscores.

Sure... I'm a Spurs fan... And I'm not going to deny that I'm biased in promoting my own. But that's only because fans like you can't give other players not from your team their due props. I never ever said Shaq wasn't a great player... in fact I'll be rooting for him to destroy LA this season. :eyebrows

But you can't deny that championships are a product of teamball... and LA's championships resulted from teaming up Shaq, Kobe, and Phil... (not to mention having a few big shots from Horry as a luxury) just as San Antonio's were the sum of Duncan and Robinson. To compare only the number of championships as a measure of greatness would be asinine.

Besides you seem to be missing the point I tried to make with the quote you only grazed. David as a player played the game of basketball with class... David as a person conducted himself with class. His life is filled with selfless accomplishments... not just those intended for self glory...

Notice the trend... David could be Mr. Nice Guy and yet could also be a Defensive monster and (prior to his injury) an offensive jauggernaut.

I actually like Shaq... he is relaxed, comical and always worth the memorable quote... but David is the more complete person. From day one of Duncan's arrival, David had absolutely no issues in recognizing that the focal point of Spurs ball would be Duncan. He made the transition seamlessly, cooperatively and without any issues, or bad blood.... knowing well he had to pass torch for the team to succeed.

Shaq and Kobe.... Gasp!!!! You only wish that they had an ounce of David's class... because the Lakers would still be contenders. Throw Phil Jackson into that mix as well.

Anyhow, David never needed any showboating antics to win over fans or respect... he did it with his lifestyle and with his unwavering commitment to the Spurs organization. Shaq has shown twice he could care less about leaving an organization for "greener pastures" without regard for the state in which he leaves them....and his on-court baffoonery, though sometimes funny... will in the long run tarnish his legacy (if only slightly). Fights with other players; B.Miller, C.Barkley, etc... fights with his teammates... calling out his teammates... disrespecting other franchises; the Kings-"Queens" debacle... news that he paid off women to keep quiet- though only a rumor, one would have to be naive to think that this doesn't go on.... (this list could go on except I like Shaq enough to let him get away with some of it). Find something on DRob... go on... but I warn you... you won't find anything. Well.... except maybe that DRob briefly tested the waters of Free-Agency... but that is hardly a knock on his character.

As far as Shaq being a more dominant offensive force... everybody and their momma knows Shaq gets away with more pushing and shoving than Mr. Plow. Not to diminish his skills though, when Shaq was lean and mean he was a great and exciting player around the rim... but during the championship run... Shaq got away with the size advantage... and don't kid yourself in thinking that this was not the case.

As for Shaq being around longer... don't forget that David gave up two full years of his career to fufill his committment with the NAVY... and in his first NBA game he singlehandedly beat Magic's showtime Lakers... by scoring 23 points, nabbing 17 rebounds all while dishing out 5 assists, blocking 4 shots, and stealing the ball three times. That's pretty dominant to me... In fact in his last game as a pro, David still managed to nab 17 rebounds... again... had David forced the issue and had he not been hampered by his back injury, I don't doubt for a second that he would have been averaging 20+ points even in his final years. But see... that's the difference between Shaq and David... David was not really concerned with the vainess of self-glory (except maybe the time he wanted to beat Shaq to that scoring title :lol ). David was concerned with team success.... and as to the early retirement... spending some time with his family.

To make things clearer this was my list based on accomplishments. I'm also factoring the importance of that player to his team. For example Kareem had Magic, Worthy as star teammates meaning he could have had an off game and the other stars could pick up the slack. Hakeem had no one other than role players and until finally late in his career he had some star help by being reunited with Drexler. DRob essentially had no other star until Duncan came along... And Shaq always had the benefit of playing with a dominant off-guard as his sidekick.

1) Wilt
2) Kareem
3) Russell
4) Hakeem
5) Shaq
6) Robinson
7) Mikan
8) Ewing

But based on talent alone.

1) Wilt
2) Hakeem
3) Kareem
4) Robinson
5) Russell
6) Shaq

Phenomanul
10-12-2004, 08:38 AM
BTW Kevin, don't just pick a little quote from above to make an argument about nothing....

I'm not dissing your arguments or anything... as they are usually well thought out.. Failure to show Robinson his props, however, has been a sore spot of mine for a while... because in this "sportscenter" culture, people fail to realize just how great a player he really was.

Blame S.A.Smith and his lame, off-base, theatrics... why he hates San Antonio so much I don't know.

This year however, I doubt we'll be as boring as he claims.

Rummpd
10-14-2004, 10:50 AM
LA and Indiana wannabees:

Both of you would gladly trade your entire rosters straight up for the Spurs - face the facts.

Indiana had its chance last year - have fun with Jackson, good riddance and another probably early exit. Artest and Jackson two similar clowns waiting to explode in disharmony! The Kings revisited, close but will never get a cigar.

Lakers fans is this transference? Why do you hate a classy TEAM? - just because your team is now even more pathetic do you have to always transfer your hate to the Spurs (i.e. your new "Daddy")

MadDoc now residing in Philly who could surprise this year!

Knownalien
10-14-2004, 04:36 PM
He says the spurs will not make it to the finals but won't say which team from the West will make it. He is just one big fat ugly TROLL.

timvp
10-14-2004, 04:37 PM
Is that really you, Knownalien?

:wtf

I'm too tired to know if this is another mouse job. :sleep

LakerGod
10-15-2004, 12:47 AM
He says the spurs will not make it to the finals but won't say which team from the West will make it. He is just one big fat ugly TROLL.
A toss between Wolves and Rockets, one of these two teams will be a finalist.

From the East a toss between Pacers and Pistons.

Phenomanul
10-15-2004, 11:34 AM
A toss between Wolves and Rockets, one of these two teams will be a finalist.

From the East a toss between Pacers and Pistons.

Your eastern predictions I can dig... the WEST.... will be won through San Antonio..

HOUSTON????? Are you insane? Even Sacramento has a better chance than they.

LakerGod
10-16-2004, 12:03 AM
I still think TMac will bring a whole new dimension to the Rockets, only time will tell how good they will be, but I think they will definately be a top contender for years to come. Don't underestimate the Rockets my second favorite team after the Lakers.

The Timberwolves are hungry, they will be in the WCF what is yet to be determined is who is going to be their opponent because other than them is not clear who else might reach the WCF. Rockets? Mavs? Kings? Spurs? even the Lakers have a chance of making it that far.

BronxCowboy
10-16-2004, 06:25 PM
I can't believe you think the Rockets can get to the WCF. They were on the bubble for making the playoffs last year. So what did they do? Trade three of their STARTERS for three starters (and another scrub) from the WORST TEAM IN THE NBA. Think about that for a minute, and if you still think that they might even be CLOSE to the best team in the west, you have problems.

LakerGod
10-17-2004, 12:33 AM
I can't believe you think the Rockets can get to the WCF. They were on the bubble for making the playoffs last year. So what did they do? Trade three of their STARTERS for three starters (and another scrub) from the WORST TEAM IN THE NBA. Think about that for a minute, and if you still think that they might even be CLOSE to the best team in the west, you have problems.
You think about it for another minute, that was last year, this is a new season, TMac quitting playing for the Magic doesn't mean he will quit playing for his new team.

Like I said, only time will tell.