PDA

View Full Version : What a difference a few years makes...

CosmicCowboy
05-14-2006, 02:18 PM
There was an era in Spurs basketball that our major messageboard complaint was that the Spurs played three quarters of basketball...They would play fast and loose for the first three quarters scoring at will and many times take a big lead into the 4th...Then Pop would go hyper conservative 4 down and many times we would blow leads (and games) in the fourth...

Spurs in these playoffs (except for blowouts from both sides) seem to be taking the opposite approach...they are being conservative for three quarters and just "staying in the game" and then getting agressive in the fourth...that may be the attitude of playoff proven champions, but I would really like to see the Spurs play 4 quarters of agressive basketball for a change...

unfortunately, "being in the position to win" also means you are in a position to lose if you get a few unfortunate turnovers at the wrong time or bad whistles from the refs...

Hook Dem
05-14-2006, 02:28 PM
True dat!!!!!!!

CosmicCowboy
05-14-2006, 02:33 PM
True dat!!!!!!!

hehehe...you can tell that 99% of the posters on this board are too young to remember those days...:lol

Dingle Barry
05-14-2006, 02:41 PM
True and good post.

Deb
05-14-2006, 02:56 PM
There was an era in Spurs basketball that our major messageboard complaint was that the Spurs played three quarters of basketball...They would play fast and loose for the first three quarters scoring at will and many times take a big lead into the 4th...Then Pop would go hyper conservative 4 down and many times we would blow leads (and games) in the fourth...

Spurs in these playoffs (except for blowouts from both sides) seem to be taking the opposite approach...they are being conservative for three quarters and just "staying in the game" and then getting agressive in the fourth...that may be the attitude of playoff proven champions, but I would really like to see the Spurs play 4 quarters of agressive basketball for a change...

unfortunately, "being in the position to win" also means you are in a position to lose if you get a few unfortunate turnovers at the wrong time or bad whistles from the refs...
Yeah, I remember those days too. Those were also the days of the bigs, and now Pop has decided to go small. Maybe this is the result?

Condemned 2 HelLA
05-14-2006, 03:04 PM

Anone remember the "finesse" era?
Yeah, those were good times, too.............
:pctoss :rolleyes

ALVAREZ6
05-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Good post.

I have been saying it for a while too, I want to see the Spurs play aggressive from the tip off. Last year, the Spurs controlled games more often than this year.

Is it me or are the Spurs always playing from behind???

If the Spurs are relying on winning a lot of down to the wire games, it's inevitable that they will lose some too.

mavsfan1000
05-14-2006, 03:47 PM
Mavs are a great first quarter team. I think the spurs play the same the whole game but the mavs start to wear down while the spurs stay the same.

SPARKY
05-14-2006, 04:13 PM
Mavs are a great first quarter team. I think the spurs play the same the whole game but the mavs start to wear down while the spurs stay the same.

Sorry, this thread wasn't about the Mavs. Please go elsewhere.

CosmicCowboy
05-14-2006, 06:24 PM
hmmmm...It could be. Spurs did that for years in the late 90's till they finally broke through. Complacency can be a bitch though.

Winnipeg_Spur
05-14-2006, 06:28 PM
That's a really great point, hadn't really thought about that. This Spurs team certainly isn't lacking in late game guts or heart, which has been a huge complaint in years past.