PDA

View Full Version : Monty Williams is back

Kori Ellis
10-09-2004, 04:17 AM
Former Spur comes full circle
Web Posted: 10/08/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA100904.5F.BKNSpursWilliams.fec48228.html

It was a December night in Denver four years ago, and the Orlando Magic, feeling the effects of the mile-high altitude, were struggling to hold off the Nuggets.

Monty Williams jogged over to Magic coach Doc Rivers and told him the team could use a timeout.

Rivers told Williams to shut up and keep playing. Williams turned to run downcourt.

Just as he heard Rivers call timeout.

"That," Williams said, laughing, "was when I figured maybe I do have a future in this league."

Williams has since learned there's a little more to coaching than knowing when your team needs a break. The former Spurs forward is back in training camp with the team he said he never wanted to leave, eager to begin his next career.

"I'm loving it," said Williams, who will serve as an assistant to Spurs director of player development Brett Brown this season.

"I feel like the first time I went to Nike camp, trying to figure out if I can play with those guys. It's been a real eye-opener for me."

Williams, who celebrated his 33rd birthday Friday, didn't intend to start his coaching career this early. He signed with Philadelphia prior to the 2002-03 season only to tear up his left knee a week into camp. After undergoing surgery, Williams returned for the playoffs — he essentially played on one leg — but the injury never completely healed. He announced his retirement midway through last season.

Williams and his wife, Ingrid, had already decided to settle in San Antonio when he called Spurs coach Gregg Popovich to tell him his playing days had ended. Popovich asked about his plans.

"I said I want to coach," Williams said. "He said, 'Well, you need to be around here and keep your name out there. I'm not going to promise you anything, but whatever we can do to help, we will do.'"

Williams started attending practices and games. Before long, he was sitting in on staff meetings.

The Spurs helped Williams get a job coaching at the Chicago pre-draft camp. He also served as an assistant for the Spurs' summer-league team in Salt Lake City then worked noted skill-development coach Tim Grgurich's camp.

"He's a quality guy and really committed to coaching," Popovich said. "As time goes on there might be a spot here or someplace else for him — you can't plan those things — but we're thrilled to give him a start. We'll see if he takes to it and enjoys it."

Williams will assist Brown in helping the players refine specific aspects of their game.

"One of the best ways I think I can help young guys is to tell them about the pitfalls I encountered," Williams said. "I have first-hand knowledge of what not to do."

Williams still regrets how his first stay with the Spurs ended. After 21/2 up-and-down seasons with the team, he hoped to re-sign in the summer of 1998. He had a good relationship with Tim Duncan. His wife loved the city and he had started working with a youth ministry at Eagle's Nest Church.

The Spurs offered Williams a guaranteed contract only if he agreed to go to Chicago in a sign-and-trade deal for Steve Kerr. He balked, so the team instead shipped Chuck Person. Williams settled for signing with Denver for the league minimum. He played one game before the Nuggets cut him.

On his way out of San Antonio, Williams made a few comments he wishes he hadn't.

"It was just one of those things where I felt like I was kicked out of the house," Williams said. "But I was kicked out because I wasn't the player I should have been.

"That was a very immature time of my life, maybe because I was young or maybe because I was just stupid. But Pop has never held a grudge. In fact, everywhere I have gone, people have said I've gotten the highest recommendation from him.

"If I could buy a spread in the paper, I would apologize over and over again for the way I acted back then."

Williams still has moments where he misses playing. The Spurs considered signing him for the playoffs last season when Devin Brown injured his ribs, but Williams' knee troubled him too much during his workout.

"You feel like you're going to be invincible forever and then you encounter a situation where you can't do what you've always done," he said. "It was really disheartening, but I think that happened for a reason.

"I couldn't paint a better picture than what is happening to me now."
----

Parker still optimistic about contract extension
Web Posted: 10/08/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Tony Parker said he's still hopeful he can reach agreement on a contract extension before the start of the season.

The Spurs have indicated they want to finish negotiations by the start of next week or table talks until the end of the season when Parker will be a restricted free agent. Teams have until Oct. 31 to extend a player's rookie contract.

"They don't want to take long because they want to focus on the team, and I understand that," Parker said. "The most important thing is the team. But for me, and my life, I would like for my contract to be done. But nothing is easy.

"They're still talking, so we'll see."

timvp
10-09-2004, 04:23 AM
The Spurs offered Williams a guaranteed contract only if he agreed to go to Chicago in a sign-and-trade deal for Steve Kerr. He balked, so the team instead shipped Chuck Person.

Oh hell no. Monty Williams cost Chuck Person a ring?

That is an unforgivable sin :flipoff

mysterious_elf26
10-09-2004, 09:18 AM
:baby I really gets on my nerves when people forget the contributions monty williams brought to the team. When he was a spur, he was one of our best players. I don't even know why we got rid of him in the first place. As for costing the rifle-men a ring, that's just ridiculous. They didn't get one till 1999 and not even monty was with the team anymore. Get your facts straight before you start blaming someone for something that never would have took place.

emmo
10-09-2004, 09:32 AM
:baby I really gets on my nerves when people forget the contributions monty williams brought to the team. When he was a spur, he was one of our best players. I don't even know why we got rid of him in the first place. As for costing the rifle-men a ring, that's just ridiculous. They didn't get one till 1999 and not even monty was with the team anymore. Get your facts straight before you start blaming someone for something that never would have took place.

is that you monty?

exstatic
10-09-2004, 10:57 AM
Monty Williams is a hack who couldn't shoot his way out of a wet paper bag. He dissed the team on his way out, and did his best to steal Tim away to Orlando. Fortunately for us, his recruiting skills are worse than his jump shot. Pop hired this backstabber? I've lost some respect for him.

TheWriter
10-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Grow up Dub'ya. ^

blackbucket
10-09-2004, 11:13 AM

Elf, Chuck would have remained with the team had Monty accepted the guaranteed contract and trade with Chicago. Instead, he said no and went to the Nuggets. Chuck went to Chi for Kerr and they won it THAT YEAR, 1999.

Get your facts straight......................... :shootme

TheWriter
10-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Who knows if we would of won the title with Chuck instead of Kerr.

KEDA
10-09-2004, 11:39 AM
Thats why he was in my stroe the other day.

I work at an Office Depot and we get a lot of players buying supplies.

blackbucket
10-09-2004, 11:49 AM
Who knows if we would of won the title with Chuck instead of Kerr.

The Spurs were getting Kerr regardless; either for Monty Williams or Chuck Person. So had they traded Monty for Kerr, Chuck could have played with Kerr on the '99 team.

T Park
10-09-2004, 12:44 PM
damn, imagine if they had Person on that team too??

Person was done anyways so its all mute.

Jeesus Ex and Timvp, loose the hate, bygones are bygones.

Pop once again shows the classier side, and hires him.

Welcome back Montgomery.

T Park
10-09-2004, 12:47 PM
It was just one of those things where I felt like I was kicked out of the house," Williams said. "But I was kicked out because I wasn't the player I should have been.

"That was a very immature time of my life, maybe because I was young or maybe because I was just stupid. But Pop has never held a grudge. In fact, everywhere I have gone, people have said I've gotten the highest recommendation from him.

"If I could buy a spread in the paper, I would apologize over and over again for the way I acted back then

Classy words. Heartfelt or not, good stuff.

As usual as it sounds here, Pop is classy and helpfull as always.

But, not that Ex has lost respect for him, Im sure hes gonna start loosing sleep. :rolleyes

Admiral
10-09-2004, 01:11 PM
Person was done anyways so its all mute. -T Park

:rollin

This might be as good as ducks's "Get Refuel."

T Park
10-09-2004, 01:22 PM
thats right.

Its quiet.

so shhhhhhhh. :)

TheWriter
10-09-2004, 01:31 PM
I think Duck's meant to say it was a moo point. Right ducks?

exstatic
10-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Jeesus Ex and Timvp, loose the hate, bygones are bygones.

If Williams had succeeded, there would be no Spurs in San Antonio now. Fuck his lame self.

timvp
10-09-2004, 03:04 PM
Thanks to blackbucket for setting the record straight.

P.S.

I wonder if Pop has an opening for John Gabriel.

http://magic.realgm.com/pictures/reports/iny_miny_myny_moe.jpg

blackbucket
10-09-2004, 05:04 PM
No prob. Man, I remember when I wanted Gabriel to suffer a horrible fate; trying to steal our franchise player! I would have done the same but that was the reason I rooted EVERY CHANCE I got for the Magic's demise, even at Doc's expense.

Duff McCartney
10-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Oh hell no. Monty Williams cost Chuck Person a ring?

That is an unforgivable sin :flipoff

F Chuck Person.

timvp
10-09-2004, 05:39 PM
Then F You.

Duff McCartney
10-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Then F You.

:smokin