PDA

View Full Version : Mavs going to get fined for showing clips of Manu flops?

TMTTRIO
05-14-2006, 11:06 PM
I don't think it will happen but very interesting

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/051406dnspomavsbriefs.848b674.html

High price of entertainment
The Mavericks showed a video in the first half of Saturday's game called the Manu Flop.

The clip, set to the tune of Monster Mash, showed Spurs guard Manu Ginobili in various stages of flopping with the incredulous response of the Mavericks and others. The crowd roared its approval.

The NBA office won't find it as amusing.

The clip is sure to draw a fine from the league, because it focuses on an opposing player and how he performs on the court. It won't be the first time the club is fined for a humorous video in the playoffs. Remember the clip two years ago with then-Sacramento guard Doug Christie in a dog collar being led around by his wife?

Son of Mavs Man
05-14-2006, 11:09 PM
Cubans pockets are depp enough that he doesn't really care. If he entertains the fans, I think it's worth it to him. Not quite as tasteless as the "Slums of Detroit" montage that Sacramento played earlier this season though...

timvp
05-14-2006, 11:09 PM
Time for David Stern to get some revenge by letting Dan Crawford, Donovan McNabb and Sean Elliott ref game 4.

Trainwreck2100
05-14-2006, 11:10 PM
I wish our front office would be brave enough to give up their class and go target an opposing player, for a cheap laugh

Condemned 2 HelLA
05-14-2006, 11:10 PM
Speaking of which,
whatever became of that proposed Doug & Jackie Christie reality show?

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-14-2006, 11:12 PM
I hope the Spurs faithful don't get mad at me.

Sadly, I am the photographer for the avatar of Son Of Mavs Man.

ducks
05-14-2006, 11:16 PM
Dan Crawford refed today
unfortunatly

Trainwreck2100
05-14-2006, 11:20 PM
Dan Crawford refed today
unfortunatly

He did game 1 so we prob won't see him again

T-Pain
05-14-2006, 11:20 PM
i agree with the mavs that he does tend to flop alot, but i think they should get fined

Neuromancer
05-14-2006, 11:21 PM
That is bull shit man, spurs class is screwing them more and more lately.

SPARKY
05-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Not surprising, considering who's in charge up there.

T Park
05-14-2006, 11:50 PM
Donovan McNabb

??? :lol

Trainwreck2100
05-14-2006, 11:52 PM
??? :lol

Donovan McNabb would call the game straight and T up anyone who talks back.....Donovan McNabb don't stand for Jibba Jabba

T-Pain
05-15-2006, 12:08 AM
Donovan McNabb would call the game straight and T up anyone who talks back.....Donovan McNabb don't stand for Jibba Jabba
yeah ask T.O.

East Coast Babe
05-15-2006, 12:14 AM
If they have enough pictures of Manu doing flops, he is probably really guilty of it! Maybe it was classless to show there, but maybe it is time for Manu to stop doing it too. Not only are the Mavs onto it, so are lots of other teams!

atxrocker
05-15-2006, 12:15 AM
it may have been tasteless but a clip of manu flopping is hardly surprising.

East Coast Babe
05-15-2006, 12:22 AM
it may have been tasteless but a clip of manu flopping is hardly surprising.

Definitely agreed. Maybe (ha)no secret anymore will put a damper on it?

MaNuMaNiAc
05-15-2006, 12:26 AM
If they have enough pictures of Manu doing flops, he is probably really guilty of it! Maybe it was classless to show there, but maybe it is time for Manu to stop doing it too. Not only are the Mavs onto it, so are lots of other teams!
yes, you clearly got the point http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

whottt
05-15-2006, 12:27 AM

Ben Wallace...

whottt
05-15-2006, 12:28 AM
Er I meant to say..anyone got the clips of Ben Wallace flopping on AI and Parker last year?

I mean if being a classless whiner is enough to sway the bimbo sect...we might as well take a page from Cuban's book ourselves.

jamezyjamez
05-15-2006, 12:34 AM
Definitely agreed. Maybe (ha)no secret anymore will put a damper on it?

Doubtful. There will need to be a rule change. Probably something similar to soccer, where "embellishment" is punished with a caution (yellow card). Maybe the NBA could assess a foul or even a T. These refs are having a hard enough time calling normal fouls, there need to be some consequences for these floppers so they straighten up.

I didn't get to attend the game where they showed the video...too bad. Maybe it was more of a tribute to Vlade, the father of modern flopping. Then it showed the passing of the torch to Manu, who has taken it to new levels. It could have ended with the rest of the league (Dirk included) starting to flop after noticing how the horrible refs still have not caught on. It's to the point where 7', 280-lb centers are flopping when a PG touches them during a drive...yuck.

Which reminds me...Pop should tell Manu to give Oberto (is that his name? or is that beef jerky? whatever) some lessons though. When Jet Terry barely touched him with his arm in Game 3, he kind of wobbled for an uncomfortable second, looked at the ref, then decided to fall...almost too late to get the call. More practice and pointers from Manu would clean that right up.

East Coast Babe
05-15-2006, 12:34 AM
Er I meant to say..anyone got the clips of Ben Wallace flopping on AI and Parker last year?

I mean if being a classless whiner is enough to sway the bimbo sect...we might as well take a page from Cuban's book ourselves.

I'd like to see that picture. No bimbo sect around here, though.

whottt
05-15-2006, 12:45 AM
Pictures...and all you had to do was be a Piston Fan last year to see them.

T Park
05-15-2006, 12:48 AM
Ben Wallace flops when the air conditioning comes on are you kidding me.

Same with Lindsey fucking Hunter.

Trainwreck2100
05-15-2006, 12:51 AM

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/3735/owl29rt.jpg

East Coast Babe
05-15-2006, 12:53 AM
Pictures...and all you had to do was be a Piston Fan last year to see them.

Sorry, kiddo, I have not seen Manu-type flopping out of Ben. And you can't produce a picture.

rayray2k8
05-15-2006, 12:55 AM
You ever consider adding "blond" to your screen name?
Just a thought. :spin

Trainwreck2100
05-15-2006, 12:56 AM
You ever consider adding "blond" to your screen name?
Just a thought. :spin

she's obviously black

East Coast Babe
05-15-2006, 12:58 AM
Doubtful. There will need to be a rule change. Probably something similar to soccer, where "embellishment" is punished with a caution (yellow card). Maybe the NBA could assess a foul or even a T. These refs are having a hard enough time calling normal fouls, there need to be some consequences for these floppers so they straighten up.

I didn't get to attend the game where they showed the video...too bad. Maybe it was more of a tribute to Vlade, the father of modern flopping. Then it showed the passing of the torch to Manu, who has taken it to new levels. It could have ended with the rest of the league (Dirk included) starting to flop after noticing how the horrible refs still have not caught on. It's to the point where 7', 280-lb centers are flopping when a PG touches them during a drive...yuck.

Decent idea, Detroit fan. I like that one.

"Pop should tell Manu to give Oberto (is that his name? or is that beef jerky? whatever) some lessons though. When Jet Terry barely touched him with his arm in Game 3, he kind of wobbled for an uncomfortable second, looked at the ref, then decided to fall...almost too late to get the call. More practice and pointers from Manu would clean that right up.

HA HA!! That was funny! Spurs seem to have the edge on flops!

whottt
05-15-2006, 01:00 AM
Sorry, kiddo, I have not seen Manu-type flopping out of Ben. And you can't produce a picture.

I have...can you produce a picture of Manu flopping?

rayray2k8
05-15-2006, 01:01 AM
she's obviously black
Ah shit I didnt want to go there!! :lmao

East Coast Babe
05-15-2006, 01:17 AM
I have...can you produce a picture of Manu flopping?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/sarahk336/0509-SPURS-MAVS-KG-2.jpg

How's that? Given to me by a Rockets fan when I said something about Manu flopping too much and getting too many free throws for it. Are you particularly guilty of this with the Mavs?

whottt
05-15-2006, 01:33 AM
Pretty bad...I mean Manu is clearly up in the air right there and he is getting hit...how is that a flop?

Oh his facial expressions?

Take a look at Ben Wallce's facial expression right here:

http://www.iran-daily.com/1384/2248/html/019740.jpg

And here....

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Basketball/NBA/Playoffs/2005/06/16/wallace_ben250.jpg

Clearly flopping.

Oh and ironically...

I typed in Ben Wallace Flop in Google and got a VIDEO of just that:

It's the last play of the clip...the most blatant flop you will ever see.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2717539244722229574&pl=true

As you know...if Video proof of it exists...the player should stop doing it.

whottt
05-15-2006, 01:37 AM
I don't know what's funnier...

A fan of a team that Bill Lambeir once played for getting all high and mighty about flopping...

The fact that you claimed you weren't a bimbo and then proceeded to think you could find a picture of a flop, to say that if a video of something exists it must constitute proof, and that you seem to think of Mark Cuban as some kind of objective voice. Oh the irony.

I hate to tell you this...but you could make a video that would make Ben Wallace look like a scoring champion...that doesn't mean he is one.

Trainwreck2100
05-15-2006, 01:39 AM
Pretty bad...I mean Manu is clearly up in the air right there and he is getting hit...how is that a flop?

Oh his facial expressions?

Take a look at Ben Wallce's facial expression right here:

http://www.iran-daily.com/1384/2248/html/019740.jpg

And here....

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Basketball/NBA/Playoffs/2005/06/16/wallace_ben250.jpg

Clearly flopping.

Oh and ironically...

I typed in Ben Wallace Flop in Google and got a VIDEO of just that:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2717539244722229574&pl=true

As you know...if Video proof of it exists...the player should stop doing it.

WINNER!!!!! somebody get this man a cookie

How's that? Given to me by a Rockets fan when I said something about Manu flopping too much and getting too many free throws for it. Are you particularly guilty of this with the Mavs?

See what happened there, you came weak he came stron. He had video, you can do better then that.

timvp
05-15-2006, 01:40 AM

:lol

OWEND.

Tek_XX
05-15-2006, 01:41 AM
Flopping is flopping, and many players do it, including Detroit players. But if he need to go into the style of flopping, then Dallas needs to look at themselves because Dirk also uses the soccer style hair flop, much used among foreign players.

East Coast Babe
05-15-2006, 02:53 AM
I am sorry I don't have a video, and you might know that Spurs fans would look at that picture of Manu and think he is not flopping! Is that Nowitzki behind him? Looks like it. There is no one else around him. Are you going to tell me that he just ran up and hit him so hard he flew in the air like that? Don't be silly!! It was a flop, and knowing Manu he got a foul call for it. I think that is the most frustrating thing about it, he flops like he does there and gets free throws for it. I looked at the footage of Ben and it looks like he flopped, I will grant you. But Yao did bury an shoulder into him too. But, for your sake we will call it a flop. Ben got no free throws on it either if you noticed.

Regarding the pictures up there. In the first one it looks like Ben lost control of the ball to whoever is behind him (no flopping) and this time I don't know who that is. The second picture of Ben and Tim. It looks like Tim is climbing on Ben to get the score. To be honest with you it looks like hurts more than anything. He could have gotten a foul for that.

I don't think what Cuban did was objective. I think he may have been tired of it and so he made fun of it. Maybe most teams flop, but in all honesty, the Spurs really hold the corner on that.

And just so you know, the bimbo thing is out. No woman in her right mind appreciates it. (no jokes, please)

whottt
05-15-2006, 04:46 AM
Highly biased, unprovable and subjective BS snipped

On to the important stuff...

And just so you know, the bimbo thing is out. No woman in her right mind appreciates it. (no jokes, please)

Are you hot? If you send me a pic and are, I'll apologize. I'll mean it too...and I'll be genuinely sorry about the whole ordeal. Seriously. Sincerely. :)

I'd apologize in advance but I learned the hard way to be wary of the nicname "babe" on the internet.

Pero
05-15-2006, 06:12 AM
It's to the point where 7', 280-lb centers are flopping when a PG touches them during a drive...yuck.

:lol Ben Wallace anyone? Oh right, he doesn`t fall in this category because he`s not 7 feet tall...

But the truth is that everyone flops, not just Manu. Flopping is part of the game.

Ginofan
05-15-2006, 06:19 AM
It was a flop, and knowing Manu he got a foul call for it. I think that is the most frustrating thing about it, he flops like he does there and gets free throws for it.

Almost as fustrating as seeing a 7 foot pussy who doesn't post up, get to the line over 20 times ehh?

mabber
05-15-2006, 06:58 AM
i agree with the mavs that he does tend to flop alot, but i think they should get fined

I was at the game and that Manu video clip was really stupid.

George Gervin's Afro
05-15-2006, 07:01 AM
I wonder if cuban is doing it to influence the refs because they see the video along with the crowd. I am not a very big fan of the billionaire whiner and complainer.. Big Ben gets knocked down all the time by point guards..Silly to see piston fans deny it.

LEONARD
05-15-2006, 07:47 AM
Genius...

DampierAmGod
05-15-2006, 07:51 AM
I wonder if cuban is doing it to influence the refs because they see the video along with the crowd. I am not a very big fan of the billionaire whiner and complainer.. Big Ben gets knocked down all the time by point guards..Silly to see piston fans deny it.

Obviously it didn't work because Manu got two puss flop calls late in the 4th.

spurschick
05-15-2006, 08:08 AM
I wish our front office would be brave enough to give up their class and go target an opposing player, for a cheap laugh

:rolleyes There is a reason why the Spurs organization ranks at the top with most of the players in this league.

picnroll
05-15-2006, 08:09 AM
I am sorry I don't have a video, and you might know that Spurs fans would look at that picture of Manu and think he is not flopping! Is that Nowitzki behind him? Looks like it. There is no one else around him. Are you going to tell me that he just ran up and hit him so hard he flew in the air like that? Don't be silly!! It was a flop, and knowing Manu he got a foul call for it.
You can tell all that from a still picture? Wow, I'm impressed. Ben's main man on defense against quality bigs in the post is the flop. He's the modern day Vlade of post defenders.

DFW Spurs
05-15-2006, 08:29 AM
I was at the game too. What was even funnier was after they played that clip Manu got fouled a few plays later and everyone was claiming it was a flop. The clip didn't really have any impact. It showed other players flopping also. So it was a knock on all players flopping with a Manu flare. Just goes to show how much they fear Manu. Thats Respect in a twisted way.

George Gervin's Afro
05-15-2006, 08:41 AM
Cuban is the reason why I hope the Mavs never win a championship. They better hope they do it in the next year or so because that window will shut and not open for another 20 yrs..I hope the Mavs organization suffers many more years of pent up frustrations soley because of Cuban...

Can anyone imagine if a all 30 owners stepped on the court to chew out refs? Continually criticize officials with tapes and blogs? The league would be out of control if we had 30 mark cubans..

LEONARD
05-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Cuban is the reason why I hope the Mavs never win a championship.

Cuban driving 29 other team's fans crazy is the reason he's great...

They better hope they do it in the next year or so because that window will shut and not open for another 20 yrs

Why's that exactly??? The Mavs are extremely young...

SPARKY
05-15-2006, 09:01 AM

Not crazy, annoyed. An owner running onto the court and sitting on the bench so he can sniff his players' jocks is pretty lame.

Not especially.

George Gervin's Afro
05-15-2006, 09:05 AM

Great for who? He is not bigger than the league

Because your best player is a 28 yr old perimeter player. Once that boy hits 30 his best days are behind him. Look at Finley, Stack, Barry, etc (all perimeter players in the league)..all are a step slow and cannot create shots on their own.. Dirk then becomes a 7 ft stiff with no quickness or lift which doesn't bode well if he is your best player. Your only low post player damp is already on the backside of his career.. Your team is on it's way to become the Phoenix suns minus their success..

Mrs.Tlong
05-15-2006, 09:13 AM
Cuban is one baaaaaaadddd baaaaaaaaadd man.

Shank
05-15-2006, 09:14 AM
Pretty funny. Two posts in a row from two guys that don't know what they're talking about. Dirk, Howard and Harris are the core of this Dallas team for the next 5-6 years.

SPARKY
05-15-2006, 09:17 AM
Dirk will be useful for about the next 3 seasons, if that. Perimeter playing bigmen without any post game don't last at a star level in this league into their 30s.

Also, Harris isn't exactly that great of a talent.

George Gervin's Afro
05-15-2006, 09:19 AM
Pretty funny. Two posts in a row from two guys that don't know what they're talking about. Dirk, Howard and Harris are the core of this Dallas team for the next 5-6 years.

you mean a 33 yr old dirk.. a point guard and a wing player .. that's it? your core? You think devin harris josh howard and kobe bryant could win a championship? No and Kobe is a heck of alot better than Dirk is..all of this considering Terry is the second most clutch player on the team at this point.. of course cuban has to sign both howard and terry to contract extensions.. He then enters luxury tax dollars for which he just got rid of fin to get him out of that territory.. you better win now..

by the way the future of the NBA resides in Orlando and Cleveland.. Dwight Howard and Lebron James will lead their teams to championships..

LEONARD
05-15-2006, 09:19 AM
Because your best player is a 28 yr old perimeter player. Once that boy hits 30 his best days are behind him. Look at Finley, Stack, Barry, etc (all perimeter players in the league)..all are a step slow and cannot create shots on their own.. Dirk then becomes a 7 ft stiff with no quickness or lift which doesn't bode well if he is your best player. Your only low post player damp is already on the backside of his career.. Your team is on it's way to become the Phoenix suns minus their success..

LMAO...yea, Dirk is almost washed up at 27...better win it all this year!!

Howard - 3rd yr
Harris - 2nd yr
Daniels - 3rd yr
Diop - 4th yr
Jet - 6th yr
Dirk - 7th yr
Of yea, AVERY - 1st (full) yr

The Mavs DON'T have to win it this year. That's an ignorant statement.

Spurs
Parker and Manu - 4th and 3rd yrs
Rasho / Nazr - 7th yr
TD - 8th
Bowen - 9th
1st 4 off the bench - 10-13 yrs

If any team is on the decline it's the aging Spurs...The Mavs are just getting started :fro

LEONARD
05-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Dirk will be useful for about the next 3 seasons, if that. Perimeter playing bigmen without any post game don't last at a star level in this league into their 30s.

How many players like Dirk has the league seen?? Maybe 0?? What exactly are you comparing to?????

Harris making the Spurs look like cones...it's his SECOND YR IN THE NBA!!

Shank
05-15-2006, 09:21 AM

Have you been watching this series at all? He's a Tony Parker starter kit.

SPARKY
05-15-2006, 09:24 AM
How many players like Dirk has the league seen?? Maybe 0?? What exactly are you comparing to?????

You can't think of anyone he compares to? Stick to football.

Right, because the Spurs are playing their standard defense in this series. Harris doesn't have that much more room to expand his game and really hasn't shown that much in the league.

Howard's a nice talent. He should have a solid career. Not sure if he'll sniff an All-Star game. Maybe once.

SPARKY
05-15-2006, 09:26 AM
Have you been watching this series at all? He's a Tony Parker starter kit.

:lmfao

He's nowhere near Tony Parker's level, which is pretty sad for Harris considering that he's less than a year younger than Parker.

George Gervin's Afro
05-15-2006, 09:27 AM

please provide me with a list of perimeter players in their 30s who excel?

So are you saying that harris is better than parker? a 24 yr old parker..an all-star? not even close on that one skippy....

I'll wait for that list..

George Gervin's Afro
05-15-2006, 09:29 AM

Howard - 3rd yr
Harris - 2nd yr
Daniels - 3rd yr
Diop - 4th yr
Jet - 6th yr
Dirk - 7th yr

Spurs
Rasho / Nazr - 7th yr
TD - 8th
Bowen - 9th

If any team is on the decline it's the aging Spurs...The Mavs are just getting started :fro

I must educate our mav fans.. note to mav fans..other teams get better in the offseason as well.. that's why it's hard to repeat but i would not expect any of you to realize that.. believe it or not

Shank
05-15-2006, 09:33 AM
:lmfao

He's nowhere near Tony Parker's level, which is pretty sad for Harris considering that he's less than a year younger than Parker.

Game 2 - Parker (15 points, 1 assist, 0 steals, 4 turnovers)/Harris (20 points, 3 assists, 1 steal, 0 turnovers)

Game 3 - Parker (15 points, 4 assists, 2 steals, 2 turnovers)/Harris (24 points, 0 assists, 1 steal, 4 turnovers)

He's near his level.

Shank
05-15-2006, 09:34 AM
I must educate our mav fans.. note to mav fans..other teams get better in the offseason as well.. that's why it's hard to repeat but i would not expect any of you to realize that.. believe it or not

They get better...and older. Keep that in mind, Spurs.

LEONARD
05-15-2006, 09:41 AM
You can't think of anyone he compares to? Stick to football.

Good one...

Tell me what player in history that Dirk resembles that would give your OPINION of what he'll be in a couple years any validity...

Harris doesn't have that much more room to expand his game and really hasn't shown that much in the league.

Sooooooooo, Harris' game is pretty much maxed out in his 2nd yr?? Alrighty then...

He hasn't had much time to show much due to PT and injuries...but he is now...

SPARKY
05-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Game 2 - Parker (15 points, 1 assist, 0 steals, 4 turnovers)/Harris (20 points, 3 assists, 1 steal, 0 turnovers)

Game 3 - Parker (15 points, 4 assists, 2 steals, 2 turnovers)/Harris (24 points, 0 assists, 1 steal, 4 turnovers)

He's near his level.

Not really. A couple of games don't mean jack when comparing two players. When Harris can bring it consistently season after season then we'll talk.

Spurminator
05-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Considering the amount of circus-like distractions at a typical Mavs game, along with Cuban's normal behavior, this registers pretty low on the Offensive Scale. At least it has something to do with basketball...

SPARKY
05-15-2006, 09:43 AM
Good one...

Tell me what player in history that Dirk resembles that would give your OPINION of what he'll be in a couple years any validity...

You first. You should know your superstar better than anyone else.

Sooooooooo, Harris' game is pretty much maxed out in his 2nd yr?? Alrighty then...

He hasn't had much time to show much due to PT and injuries...but he is now...

Excuses, excuses. He's the same age as Parker and his basketball resume is slim to none. At age 23 he's where Parker was at age 19, if that.

Shank
05-15-2006, 09:43 AM
Not really. A couple of games don't mean jack when comparing two players. When Harris can bring it consistently season after season then we'll talk.

http://vcard.homer-simpson.de/images/homer/pic18.jpg

Sad Homer.

LEONARD
05-15-2006, 09:46 AM
You first. You should know your superstar better than anyone else.

Hello? Anybody home? I'm saying there's NOT one, so how can YOU predict what he'll be like in a couple years??? :rolleyes

Excuses, excuses. He's the same age as Parker and his basketball resume is slim to none. At age 23 he's where Parker was at age 19, if that.

Excuses???

Who cares...the bottom line is that he is a talent and still has a TON more improvement to incorporate into his game under AJ's wing...

SPARKY
05-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Hello? Anybody home? I'm saying there's NOT one, so how can YOU predict what he'll be like in a couple years??? :rolleyes

You've done it, why can't anyone else?

Excuses???

Who cares...the bottom line is that he is a talent and still has a TON more improvement to incorporate into his game under AJ's wing...

Right, so now you can predict how a player's game will develop but no one else can.

LEONARD
05-15-2006, 09:51 AM
You've done it, why can't anyone else?

WTF???

Right, so now you can predict how a player's game will develop but no one else can.

I'm not saying he'll be an all-star...just pointing out that you saying that Harris doesn't have that much more room to expand his game is IDIOTIC...

Shank
I still haven't heard a viable argument as to why a core of Dirk, Howard and Harris won't find success.

SPARKY
Sad Homer.

The only sad homer is you. Devin Harris is not on par with Tony Parker. He hasn't shown it in this league. When defenses game plan to stop him on a nightly basis and he still produces, then we'll talk. Until then, stick to posting pics.

SPARKY
05-15-2006, 09:52 AM
I still haven't heard a viable argument as to why a core of Dirk, Howard and Harris won't find success.

That's because you haven't a clue about the game.

shelshor
05-15-2006, 09:55 AM
:rolleyes There is a reason why the Spurs organization ranks at the top with most of the players in this league.
And something the Mark Cuban will never be never be able to understand. And Cuban will never be respected-he can't buy it

SPARKY
05-15-2006, 10:01 AM
WTF???

You can't be that stupid.

I'm not saying he'll be an all-star...just pointing out that you saying that Harris doesn't have that much more room to expand his game is IDIOTIC...

Not really. Anyone who's spent anytime watching NBA basketball can see his limitations. If he's as great as your homerific lusting believes he is, then he's going to have defenses key on defending him. That's what separates the great from the merely good. Tony Parker has spent the last few seasons going up against teams that on a nightly basis gameplanned to stop him. The Spurs have not thusfar in this series done so with Harris.

fyatuk
05-15-2006, 10:02 AM

Howard - 3rd yr
Harris - 2nd yr
Daniels - 3rd yr
Diop - 4th yr
Jet - 6th yr
Dirk - 7th yr

Spurs
Rasho / Nazr - 7th yr
TD - 8th
Bowen - 9th

While I agree the Mav's probably have another 5-6 years before a huge decline, the affect of age is just as small with the Spurs.

TD being a post player will likely be effective longer into his carreer than Dirk will. And the 1st 4 off the bench argument is stupid if you know anything about this Spurs. Just about every year the Spurs change nearly their entire bench and remain among the cream of the crop. That's what role players are for, use them for a year or two and then get younger. And considering Bowen has gotten better every year with the Spurs, he'll probably continue to contribute for several more years as well.

Shank
05-15-2006, 10:04 AM
The only sad homer is you. Devin Harris is not on par with Tony Parker. He hasn't shown it in this league. When defenses game plan to stop him on a nightly basis and he still produces, then we'll talk. Until then, stick to posting pics.

Did I ever say he was on par? Did I? Or do you only see what you want to see? We were talking about the future of this team. No one has ever said he was on the same level as Parket, but that he's near it. And in this series, he's been outplaying Parker in the games in which he started. If you can prove otherwise, then I challenge you to do so.

As far as defenses planning on stopping him - maybe you should pass a note to your boy Pop to at least try to slow him down. He's taking your paint at will. He'll do it again tonight.

And you still can't give a reason as to why Dirk, Howard and Harris won't make a successful core to an NBA team. Maybe it's because your head is so far up the Spurs' geriatric asses that you can't conceive that another team will be stronger than yours in the future.

SPARKY
05-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Did I ever say he was on par? Did I? Or do you only see what you want to see? We were talking about the future of this team. No one has ever said he was on the same level as Parket, but that he's near it. And in this series, he's been outplaying Parker in the games in which he started. If you can prove otherwise, then I challenge you to do so.

He's not even near Parker's level. If you are counting on him being part of some great future triumvarate then he's gotta be. Maybe the Spurs should put in that second center and cut off those easy drives to the lane. Then we'll see how good he is.

As far as defenses planning on stopping him - maybe you should pass a note to your boy Pop to at least try to slow him down. He's taking your paint at will. He'll do it again tonight.

That's because the D is focused on other areas.

And you still can't give a reason as to why Dirk, Howard and Harris won't make a successful core to an NBA team. Maybe it's because your head is so far up the Spurs' geriatric asses that you can't conceive that another team will be stronger than yours in the future.

TD 30
MG 28
TP 24

Yeah, the Spurs are over the hill.

Shank
05-15-2006, 10:28 AM
And I'm assuming those 3 guys can cover all 5 positions for an entire game, right?

SPARKY
05-15-2006, 10:36 AM
Right, the Spurs have no international prospects, no trade options and no cap flexibility. They are doomed to the current roster, much like they were in 2001. Knocking the Spurs' FO is a bit ignorant.

shelshor
05-15-2006, 10:37 AM
I was at the game and that Manu video clip was really stupid.
:madrun Equally stupid is the Mavs PA announcer: if Stan Kelly were to give his mike to Crazy Lou to do his schtick while play was on at AT&T Center, how much howling would the rest of the league, and especially Cuban and the rest of the Mavs fans, be doing? :madrun

FromWayDowntown
05-15-2006, 10:44 AM
And I'm assuming those 3 guys can cover all 5 positions for an entire game, right?

Wait, you're telling us that the Mavs are going to dominate for 5-6 years becuase of their "core" of Nowitzki, Howard, and Harris.

Sparky posts the age of the 3 best Spurs, proving that those 3 players are all at similar ages as their Mavericks counterparts.

Your response is to wonder if the 3 Spurs can cover all 5 positions on the floor? I'm left to presume that you think the 3 Mavs are capable of doing that as well -- since, after all, a core is all that comprises a team, right?

It's not as if the Spurs have never had to retool a roster and find ways to stay at the top. The truth has been that as long as that "core" is young and healthy, the Spurs are title contenders. Again, you seem to think that such a "core" is precisely what will maintain the Mavs as an elite team. Where the cores are similar, I don't understand how you can argue that there is a marked difference.

FromWayDowntown
05-15-2006, 10:48 AM
By the way, having attended Game 3, I was interested to note just how much attention the Spurs get from the Mavericks organization and its fans. At times, I was fairly certain that the crowd was more rooting against the Spurs than it was rooting for the Mavericks.

The Manu Flop was curious; the repeated rendition of "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Spurs Fans" was a bit funnier. But it made me wonder when the Spurs organization last devoted that much stoppage time to the other team. Other than maybe Shaq, I can't recall that ever happening, and I've been going to 50+ games on average for the last 5-6 seasons.

That and the dude behind me who spit on the 13-year-old girl who was in our travel group were just awesome.

SPARKY
05-15-2006, 10:54 AM
By the way, having attended Game 3, I was interested to note just how much attention the Spurs get from the Mavericks organization and its fans. At times, I was fairly certain that the crowd was more rooting against the Spurs than it was rooting for the Mavericks.

The Manu Flop was curious; the repeated rendition of "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Spurs Fans" was a bit funnier. But it made me wonder when the Spurs organization last devoted that much stoppage time to the other team. Other than maybe Shaq, I can't recall that ever happening, and I've been going to 50+ games on average for the last 5-6 seasons.

That and the dude behind me who spit on the 13-year-old girl who was in our travel group were just awesome.

Not surprising.

leemajors
05-15-2006, 10:55 AM
sounds like an arena full of frat boys.

Shank
05-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Yeah, I'm sure someone just straight-up spit on a 13-year old girl. Because that really happens all the time.

And why would you respond with "not surprising"? You act like you know something about how the games are handled in Dallas.

leemajors
05-15-2006, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I'm sure someone just straight-up spit on a 13-year old girl. Because that really happens all the time.

And why would you respond with "not surprising"? You act like you know something about how the games are handled in Dallas.

why would he lie about something like that?

SPARKY
05-15-2006, 10:59 AM

It's not surprising given that most Dallas fans seem to hold a crude combination of the worst features of Texas and Oklahoma sports fans combined.

In addition, the little Mavs fans troll brigade in here doesn't help your argument much.

picnroll
05-15-2006, 11:00 AM
Mavs fans should be thankful that the Spurs organizaion has given them a coach, an assistant coach, a defensive scheme all trained and developed by the best,. Face it Mavs' fans wiithout the Spurs' organization the Mavs would still be getting knocked out in the first round. Mavs are basically a cheap copy of the best. Dallas as a city come to think of it is a cheap copy of real city like NY and Chicago.

FromWayDowntown
05-15-2006, 11:03 AM

You're right; you probably know more about it than I do, given that I was within 2 feet of the girl and saw it happen. Thanks for reminding me that things in Dallas are never as they seem.

:rolleyes

I note, also, that you haven't done anything to address the substance of the other posts about cores and whatnot.

Shank
05-15-2006, 11:03 AM
why would he lie about something like that?

And why wouldn't he just tell us the whole story? You honestly believe a guy just spit on a little girl for NO REASON AT ALL? Seriously?

And picnroll - you're reaching. The only thing the Mavs owe the Spurs is a well-deserved fishing trip.

LEONARD
05-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Not surprising.

Right...

Anything is possible...there are pricks in every city...

Mavs fans should be thankful that the Spurs organizaion has given them a coach, an assistant coach, a defensive scheme all trained and developed by the best,. Face it Mavs' fans wiithout the Spurs' organization the Mavs would still be getting knocked out in the first round. Mavs are basically a cheap copy of the best. Ingrates.

They got to the WCF's with "their" style in '03 and were a quarter away (and a Steve Kerr 3 pt exhibition) from going to game 7...without Dirk for 3 games. Saying they always lost in the 1st round is ignorant...

leemajors
05-15-2006, 11:06 AM
they played very well without dirk in that series.

leemajors
05-15-2006, 11:07 AM
And why wouldn't he just tell us the whole story? You honestly believe a guy just spit on a little girl for NO REASON AT ALL? Seriously?

And picnroll - you're reaching. The only thing the Mavs owe the Spurs is a well-deserved fishing trip.

idiots + alcohol = anything can happen. those circumstances aren't confined to the AAC if that's the implication you're worried about.

LEONARD
05-15-2006, 11:07 AM
they played very well without dirk in that series.

Better than if they'd had him???

My point was that the Mavs didn't get knocked out in the 1st round before Avery came along...nothing more nothing less...

SPARKY
05-15-2006, 11:08 AM

Nothing a Dallas area sports fan does would surprise me.

Not really. I guess I'd be bitter too if I was a fan of the only NBA franchise in the state to not have one NBA title, let alone multiple ones.

Mavs fans have the worst case of championship envy.

Shank
05-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Bullshit. When have the Spurs ever won an NBA Championship? Someone please tell me when this magical event happened.

FromWayDowntown
05-15-2006, 11:10 AM

What rest of the story?

A little girl went to the game to cheer on her team. I can vouch for the fact that she did nothing other than to cheer for her team. She didn't speak to anyone around her (other than me and her mother) and she remained in her seat until those in front of her stood up. As her team made the game close and gave the fans behind her some reason for concern about their team winning, she continued cheering. When she cheered about a score that gave her team the lead late in the game, someone sitting behind her spit on her -- apparently because she was cheering for the visiting team.

Is that better?

ducks
05-15-2006, 11:11 AM
Bullshit. When have the Spurs ever won an NBA Championship? Someone please tell me when this magical event happened.
you do do not know :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Shank
05-15-2006, 11:16 AM
What rest of the story?

A little girl went to the game to cheer on her team. I can vouch for the fact that she did nothing other than to cheer for her team. She didn't speak to anyone around her (other than me and her mother) and she remained in her seat until those in front of her stood up. As her team made the game close and gave the fans behind her some reason for concern about their team winning, she continued cheering. When she cheered about a score that gave her team the lead late in the game, someone sitting behind her spit on her -- apparently because she was cheering for the visiting team.

Is that better?

You make it out to sound like a fairy tale and if it's that cut and dry, then the guy should have been escorted out of the building by the police. But for anyone to think that everyone in Dallas acts like this or that it only happens in the AAC is ridiculous.

picnroll
05-15-2006, 11:18 AM
What rest of the story?

Is that better?
Was it Cuban?

Shank
05-15-2006, 11:20 AM
Cuban rarely has enough spit in his mouth after yelling at the refs for the entire game.

FromWayDowntown
05-15-2006, 11:22 AM
You make it out to sound like a fairy tale and if it's that cut and dry, then the guy should have been escorted out of the building by the police. But for anyone to think that everyone in Dallas acts like this or that it only happens in the AAC is ridiculous.

Sure -- you're right. My friend's daughter was actually swilling beer and cursing a blue streak about the parentage of every fan sitting around her.

:rolleyes

The guy wasn't taken out because the incident happened as the game ended. By the time I got to an usher, there was nothing that could be done because the guy had already faded into the crowd leaving the arena. Besides, the usher didn't seem terribly concerned with what had happened to us.

I'm not saying every Mavericks fan acts that way -- clearly they don't. But we had a bad experience because one fan did act that way. I don't recall ever hearing of fans in San Antonio doing that, but I can't say that I've heard every story of every opposing team fan who has visited the Spurs' arenas. If it's happened here, it's equally classless of those fans.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-15-2006, 11:23 AM
Are they going to make a clip with Dirk acting? They have a lot of material (basically every possesion).

Or will they make one of him simulating a rolled ankle?

Will they show a clip about their constant crying to the refs even when every call has gone their way?

Probably they'll make one of Cuban acting like the dork he is, but only after the Mavs are eliminated.

SpursWoman
05-15-2006, 11:23 AM

little Mavs fans troll brigade in here doesn't help your argument much.

ObiwanGinobili
05-15-2006, 11:27 AM
all these Sparky posts are getting me confused... the style is Sequ plus the avatar is Sequ's.....

greywheel
05-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Mavs fans have the worst case of championship envy.

Mark Cuban has the worst case of championship envy. It's the one thing he's tried to buy (see Mavs inflated payroll a few years back), that has alluded his billionaire pocketbook.
I often wonder if he will be as interested in basketball, after (if?) the Mavs ever when a championship. I could see him easily buying a baseball team and trying to get to the World Series.

And back to the original subject of this post: Any video of the opposing team that tries to influence the refs during a game is classless.

Shank
05-15-2006, 11:29 AM
And back to the original subject of this post: Any video of the opposing team that tries to influence the refs during a game is classless.

It was meant to make light of Manu's reputation, not influence the officials.

picnroll
05-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Are they going to make a clip with Dirk acting? They have a lot of material (basically every possesion).

Or will they make one of him simulating a rolled ankle?

Will they show a clip about their constant crying to the refs even when every call has gone their way?

Probably they'll make one of Cuban acting like the dork he is, but only after the Mavs are eliminated.
I think a little montage of some of the plays at the end of game three, Barry getting called for the foul on the out of bounds, Parker getting tripped, the over the back that Dirk didn't get called on, the non-walk Barry got called for, the push in the chest to Manu by Damp, the sixth foul on Duncan, maybe do some nice slo mos. That would get the crowd in the right mood.

SpursWoman
05-15-2006, 11:32 AM

My favorite one is when the Mavs were up 22 with less than 2 minutes left in the game ... Dirk gets called with his first or second foul, and he has the most incredulous look on his face as he cried to the refs.

I don't think I've seen many that can top that one.

SPARKY
05-15-2006, 11:32 AM

Dallas contains a volatile mixture of Oklahoma trailer-park ranchers and Texas bubbas. Nothing that happens there surprises me.

ballhog
05-15-2006, 11:35 AM
Cubans pockets are depp enough that he doesn't really care. If he entertains the fans, I think it's worth it to him. Not quite as tasteless as the "Slums of Detroit" montage that Sacramento played earlier this season though...

For 200K he's getting his money's worth.

Shank
05-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Dallas contains a volatile mixture of Oklahoma trailer-park ranchers and Texas bubbas. Nothing that happens there surprises me.

You really can't find anything better than to make assumptions about the population of the Dallas area? I thought Spurs fans were above that. Apparently not.

greywheel
05-15-2006, 11:39 AM

The one thing that surprised me, was yesterday I actually saw someone with a Mavs hat on. I live in the Mid-Cities area and the lack of fans wearing merchandise has been shocking to me. When I took my wife out for Mother's Day, I was looking for Mavs fans, I saw quite a bit of Cowboy merchandise but only one guy with a Mavs hat.
I had my Spurs cap on and got no reaction from it, don't know if it was politeness or apathy.

SpursWoman
05-15-2006, 11:41 AM
You really can't find anything better than to make assumptions about the population of the Dallas area? I thought Spurs fans were above that. Apparently not.

I've had the misfortune of sitting next to the most obnoxious fans on the planet at I have no idea how many games over the last 5 years or so. And the worst were all from Dallas. Even the Laker bandwagoner's during their 3-peat era never even came close. And if at the game wasn't bad enough, partying downtown after the game....you must have some huge rocks in Dallas for all of these morons to crawl out from under. They certainly don't represent your city or your team very well.

Added to the asswipes that pollute this forum, it's very difficult to be objective. Sorry.

shelshor
05-15-2006, 11:46 AM
What rest of the story?

Is that better?
After some of the boorish behavior from Mavs fans that we saw at game 3, I have no reason to doubt your story
Was it the same guy, who earlier in the game, was screaming in your ear to show some sportsmanship?

LEONARD
05-15-2006, 11:50 AM
Added to the asswipes that pollute this forum, it's very difficult to be objective. Sorry.

http://www.ezines4all.com/pics/dogs/asswipe.jpg

picnroll
05-15-2006, 11:50 AM
Class of Dallas fans as fans = class of Cuban as NBA owner. Nuff said.

FromWayDowntown
05-15-2006, 11:52 AM
After some of the boorish behavior from Mavs fans that we saw at game 3, I have no reason to doubt your story
Was it the same guy, who earlier in the game, was screaming in your ear to show some sportsmanship?

No. The guy next to me was some passive-aggressive jackhole who thought it was hilarious to bang his clapper right next to my ear everytime the Mavericks scored or got a stop, while constantly ridiculing the Spurs to his companion. I made a conscious choice to never say a word to him. That seemed to frustrate him as much as anything.

I must say, in mitigation of the other behavior that I witnessed, that the guy who sat right in front of me was obviously an ardent Mavericks fan, but he was also very good-natured and engaged me in a fun dialogue throughout. Not all Mavs fans are a-holes, but we certainly saw many on Saturday night who seemed inclined to act that way.

LEONARD
05-15-2006, 11:52 AM
If Cuban owned the Spurs the fans there would love him...

The fact that he gets on the nerves of everyone that's not a Mavs fan is greatness :fro

picnroll
05-15-2006, 11:55 AM

The fact that he gets on the nerves of everyone that's not a Mavs fan is greatness :fro
We're talking about class or lack thereof.

Dallas fans = Cuban

Mixability
05-15-2006, 11:56 AM

If he owned the Spurs, I'd start wishing harder for an MLB franchise..... or become a Rampage fan.

MannyIsGod
05-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Fuck! Where is Patrick Davis when you need him?

WE NEED A FORUM RENDITION OF THE NASH STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LEONARD
05-15-2006, 11:59 AM
We're talking about class or lack thereof.

Dallas fans = Cuban

If he sold the Mavs and bought the Spurs now, most would probably hate him and eventually learn to like him...

but he'd bought the Spurs in the mid-late 90's, SA would love him...

FACT

SPARKY
05-15-2006, 11:59 AM

If Cuban owned the Spurs he would've brought back Bob Hill.

SPARKY
05-15-2006, 12:01 PM
If he sold the Mavs and bought the Spurs now, most would probably hate him and eventually learn to like him...

FACT

Not really. Spurs probably wouldn't have 3 titles in the bank with his dumb arse running the show.

Mixability
05-15-2006, 12:01 PM
If Cuban owned the Spurs he would've brought back Bob Hill.

And used the amnesty clause on Ginobili after one bad game. :lol

FromWayDowntown
05-15-2006, 12:03 PM

FACT

Since when is rank speculation about something that didn't happen a FACT?

Mixability
05-15-2006, 12:03 PM

FACT

Learn to like him? I like the Spurs, because of their non-chalantness. If the owner is as overboard as Cuban, then I'd be sick of him after a few games. Cuban is to the Mavs what Puff Daddy was to Biggie: The source of funds, but too involved in the action.

Mixability
05-15-2006, 12:04 PM
hey sparky, change your avatar before people start making fun of your height. :lol

George Gervin's Afro
05-15-2006, 12:07 PM
It was meant to make light of Manu's reputation, not influence the officials.

Come on..Cuban did it for strictly entertainment purposes? If he wanted to get a point across the officials what better way to do it..

LEONARD
05-15-2006, 12:08 PM
Not really. Spurs probably wouldn't have 3 titles in the bank with his dumb arse running the show.

He's not the guy making the basketball decisions...Nellie was a lot of the problem.

It's not like the Spurs haven't missed on a few things...ie, Josh Howard / Barbosa...

Since when is rank speculation about something that didn't happen a FACT?

Because Spurs fans have no other team to cheer for...they'd learn to like Cuban...

picnroll
05-15-2006, 12:16 PM
Question is if they learned to like Cuban would that put them closeer to the classlessness of Dallas fans. Sadly, as much as I like to think otherwise, I'm afraid Cuban would rub off on San Antonio.

FromWayDowntown
05-15-2006, 12:28 PM
He's not the guy making the basketball decisions...Nellie was a lot of the problem.

It's not like the Spurs haven't missed on a few things...ie, Josh Howard / Barbosa...

The Barbosa thing is misunderstood. The Spurs didn't draft Barbosa for themselves and apparently weren't interested in Barbosa. They got a first round pick out of that deal anyway, and used the pick to net a center who played an important role to winning a championship. In all, I'd say Barbosa wasn't a mistake by the Spurs -- it was a trade-off that worked quite well.

They missed on Josh Howard. But they absolutely have excelled on Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker and found some potential with Beno Udrih. Plus, they have a farm system of kids in Europe. So, even with the Howard miss, the Spurs have found at least two young all-stars and have developed a pipeline of prospects all with picks at the end of Round 1 or somewhere in Round 2.

The make mistakes, but they haven't made too many in recent years.

Because Spurs fans have no other team to cheer for...they'd learn to like Cuban...

That Spurs fans cheer for the Spurs doesn't mean that they will learn to like the Spurs' owner. If you had read this forum for very long, you'd learn that a significant number of posters here have disliked some of the decisions made by the current ownership group and been quite vocal about those disagreements. I suspect that the same folks who quibble with decisions made by Peter Holt and dislike him for those decisions would find reason to quibble with Mark Cuban and dislike him for some of his decisions as well. Supporting a team does not necessarily require supporting or liking that team's owner.