PDA

View Full Version : Rick Barry Interview on Ticket 760

Crookshanks
05-15-2006, 09:47 AM
Charlie and Chance interviewed Rick Barry this morning and it was so good that they're going to replay it in the 10:00 hour.

Be sure to catch the interview, if you can. It was awesome - Rick really ripped the Refs and officiating in general. It's a good thing he can't get fined because he really let them have it!

What's so great about it is that he gives specifics and he has a great idea on how to fix the system.

AlamoSpursFan
05-15-2006, 09:50 AM
The same Rick Barry who in 1987 said David Robinson would be stupid to sign with the Spurs?

DDS4
05-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Charlie and Chance interviewed Rick Barry this morning and it was so good that they're going to replay it in the 10:00 hour.

Be sure to catch the interview, if you can. It was awesome - Rick really ripped the Refs and officiating in general. It's a good thing he can't get fined because he really let them have it!

What's so great about it is that he gives specifics and he has a great idea on how to fix the system.

He has an afternoon radio show here in the Bay Area. Pretty old school and isn't afraid to speak his mind (pretty much why he doesn't have a coaching gig). He's lightened up a little compared to the past.

jmard5
05-15-2006, 10:45 AM
He has an afternoon radio show here in the Bay Area. Pretty old school and isn't afraid to speak his mind (pretty much why he doesn't have a coaching gig). He's lightened up a little compared to the past.

I'm not from the US. Can anyone post a summary of what he said? Thanks in advance.

LEONARD
05-15-2006, 10:46 AM
I'm not from the US. Can anyone post a summary of what he said? Thanks in advance.

/cliff notes
Waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh
/end cliff notes

leemajors
05-15-2006, 10:47 AM
/cliff notes
Waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh
/end cliff notes

you have a template or just make up all this good material?

SpursWoman
05-15-2006, 10:48 AM
/cliff notes
Waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh
/end cliff notes

This coming from a Maverick fan ... the irony is almost overwhelming. :fro

DampierAmGod
05-15-2006, 10:50 AM
Is there a reason that female posters here all have tit pics as avatars? Are they all whores who actually put shots of themselves like that online or are they just pics they found on the internet?

FromWayDowntown
05-15-2006, 10:50 AM
The same Rick Barry who in 1987 said David Robinson would be stupid to sign with the Spurs?

Yes; and the same Rick Barry whose son is playing for the Spurs.

AlamoSpursFan
05-15-2006, 10:52 AM
Is there a reason that female posters here all have tit pics as avatars? Are they all whores who actually put shots of themselves like that online or are they just pics they found on the internet?

Oh no he didn't...

:lmao

SpursWoman
05-15-2006, 10:53 AM

Yes.

NINERS4LIFE
05-15-2006, 11:04 AM

Is there a reason Dampier is God ?

LEONARD
05-15-2006, 11:05 AM
Is there a reason Dampier is God ?

Who said that??

Rick Von Braun
05-15-2006, 11:33 AM
you have a template or just make up all this good material?

:lmao

Crookshanks
05-15-2006, 11:33 AM

Basically, he said that he was disgusted with the officiating - not as a Spurs Fan, but as a basketball fan. He said the Spurs should have won the game and would have, if not for the horrible calls. He said Tim's 5th and 6th fouls were bogus and shouldn't have been called, as well as the call when Dirk lost his balance and fell out of bounds.

He said he watched some of the game frame by frame and the last foul when Dirk got the offensive rebound - the ref had his hand up and called the foul BEFORE there was any contact. In other words, he said many of the officials are anticipating calls instead of calling what they actually see.

He also said he's getting very tired of all the players who get away with traveling. He said all 3 games that the Cavs won by 1 point should have been losses because LeBron traveled big time on all the game - winning shots. He also said many of the players get away with carrying the ball and that the refs are horrible with the blocking/charging calls.

He said if the refs would call the games according to the rule book, it would be great. His solution was that the refs should have to watch the games and have their mistakes pointed out and they should be fined for bad calls. He said the refs needed more motivation to study the game and the rulebook and to concentrate on the task at hand.

Now, for all you who think he's a homer just because Brent plays for the Spurs - he also said that Tim's great shot over Shaq in the 2004 playoffs (right before the infamous .04 shot) should not have counted because Tim traveled!

He also said that Tony Parker is going to have to do a better job on defense and that it was ridiculous how many open drives to the basket the Mavs were getting.

Whatever you might think of Rick Barry as a person, he is a hall of famer and is known throughout the league as a person who is very knowledgeable about the fundamentals of basketball. I thought the interview was great.

T Park
05-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Rick Barry would be a fantastic coach.

egotistical as HELL, but a great basketball mind.

His interview was fantastic.

Spurologist
05-15-2006, 11:41 AM
Does this guy still not have an nba job. A legend is getting fucked over. Good thing nba teams are improving every year with the likes of Isiah Thomas.

Willinsa
05-15-2006, 11:53 AM

I forgot most guys in dallas are homos.

SPARKY
05-15-2006, 12:05 PM

Only a Mavs fan would have a problem with that.

jmard5
05-15-2006, 12:06 PM
/cliff notes
Waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh
/end cliff notes

You answered my simple request with this? You have problems with this, sir? Or are your 300+ posts in this board as lame as this.

T Park
05-15-2006, 12:07 PM
Barry spoke the absolute truth today.

But of course, Mavs fan will try their best to discredit him.

jmard5
05-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Basically, he said that he was disgusted with the officiating - not as a Spurs Fan, but as a basketball fan. He said the Spurs should have won the game and would have, if not for the horrible calls. He said Tim's 5th and 6th fouls were bogus and shouldn't have been called, as well as the call when Dirk lost his balance and fell out of bounds.

He said he watched some of the game frame by frame and the last foul when Dirk got the offensive rebound - the ref had his hand up and called the foul BEFORE there was any contact. In other words, he said many of the officials are anticipating calls instead of calling what they actually see.

He also said he's getting very tired of all the players who get away with traveling. He said all 3 games that the Cavs won by 1 point should have been losses because LeBron traveled big time on all the game - winning shots. He also said many of the players get away with carrying the ball and that the refs are horrible with the blocking/charging calls.

He said if the refs would call the games according to the rule book, it would be great. His solution was that the refs should have to watch the games and have their mistakes pointed out and they should be fined for bad calls. He said the refs needed more motivation to study the game and the rulebook and to concentrate on the task at hand.

Now, for all you who think he's a homer just because Brent plays for the Spurs - he also said that Tim's great shot over Shaq in the 2004 playoffs (right before the infamous .04 shot) should not have counted because Tim traveled!

He also said that Tony Parker is going to have to do a better job on defense and that it was ridiculous how many open drives to the basket the Mavs were getting.

Whatever you might think of Rick Barry as a person, he is a hall of famer and is known throughout the league as a person who is very knowledgeable about the fundamentals of basketball. I thought the interview was great.

Thank you. Appreciate it. :spin

SequSpur
05-15-2006, 12:20 PM
Most of you are stupid.

The small balls are the reason why the Spurs lost.

Jimcs50
05-15-2006, 12:24 PM

He said he watched some of the game frame by frame and the last foul when Dirk got the offensive rebound - the ref had his hand up and called the foul BEFORE there was any contact. In other words, he said many of the officials are anticipating calls instead of calling what they actually see

This man is a genius for seeing these 3 Horrible calls.
:angel

:)

erica_who?
05-15-2006, 12:24 PM

Yesterday I was wondering if the refs do that. Don't they? It is such an obvious solution. It would help them improve themselves by learning from their mistakes like the players do.

101A
05-15-2006, 12:43 PM
Yesterday I was wondering if the refs do that. Don't they? It is such an obvious solution. It would help them improve themselves by learning from their mistakes like the players do.

You're assuming from their employer's point of view they did ANYTHING wrong.

Horry For 3!
05-15-2006, 12:53 PM
This man is a genius for seeing these 3 Horrible calls.
:angel

:)
Everyone saw the bad calls but Rick Barry has nba credit as a player and hall of famer, so his opinion will count more than many others.

erica_who?
05-15-2006, 12:54 PM
You're assuming from their employer's point of view they did ANYTHING wrong.

What you're saying is that their employer (the NBA) has to think they did something wrong for them to do that?

I'm just checking if I got what you said right. English isn't my language and sometimes I have trouble understanding.

Jimcs50
05-15-2006, 12:56 PM
Everyone saw the bad calls but Rick Barry has nba credit as a player and hall of famer, so his opinion will count more than many others.

I happen to think my opinion and observations have more merit in this forum.

:spin

jmard5
05-15-2006, 12:59 PM
This came from a non-Spurs fan

---------------------------
DAILY DIME

Being a Suns fan and Spurs hater, you'd think I'd love watching the refs call them for 500 fouls in Game 3. But no, I'm starting to hate Dallas even more than SA. The NBA should be about playing basketball, not about refining the art of "drawing fouls."

I'm all for offense and hate physical defense, but I hate watching offensive players get call after call for "initiating contact." NBA officiating is beyond horrible. It's not all the refs' fault -- the NBA has some really stupid rules that do nothing for basketball.
-- Paul (Phoenix)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-060515

Horry For 3!
05-15-2006, 01:02 PM
I happen to think my opinion and observations have more merit in this forum.

:spin
Because you have been here since 02? :lol

Jimcs50
05-15-2006, 01:03 PM
Because you have been here since 02? :lol

1998 actually, I preceded Kori.

:smokin

SpursWoman
05-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Most of you are stupid.

The small balls are the reason why the Spurs lost.

Literally and figuratively speaking? :fro

Jimcs50
05-15-2006, 01:05 PM
Literally and figuratively speaking? :fro

:lol

Horry For 3!
05-15-2006, 01:06 PM
1998 actually, I preceded Kori.

:smokin
Well for this forum it says 2002, at least that is what is on your profile.

Jimcs50
05-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Well for this forum it says 2002, at least that is what is on your profile.

I know, it is a mistake....Kori and I have been together in Spurs forum since 1999, and I was here for about 8 months when she came in.

mabber
05-15-2006, 01:12 PM

I agree with all of this. NBA officiating is not that great right now.

At the same time, bad calls happen and to use it as an excuse for your team losing is friggin pathetic. And yes, a lot of fans (including a lot of Mav fans) do it. Bad calls are part of the game just like turnovers, etc.. Good teams overcome them. It's sad that you have sift thru so many "bad calls cost us the game" and "the games are fixed" posts on forums like this (Mav forums are the same when they get bad calls) to get to some decent posts.

Fabbs
05-15-2006, 01:15 PM

Excellent.

SpursWoman
05-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Seriously, in my 34 1/2 years on the planet, I've never in my life heard a normal, red-blooded man complain about exposed boobage unless he was 5 years old and still thinks girls have cooties. :lol :lol

I'm not sure a homosexual man would complain either, because they are generally more open-minded. :spin

Islymore
05-15-2006, 01:26 PM
i just wondered was it a contest or something like that?
being a female... i got no prob with boobage just wondered if that was something planned or something that just happened?

do what you do - i dont knock you! if you got em' why not flaunt em??

SpursWoman
05-15-2006, 01:29 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37085

It's not a contest ... :)

LEONARD
05-15-2006, 01:35 PM
i just wondered was it a contest or something like that?
being a female... i got no prob with boobage just wondered if that was something planned or something that just happened?

do what you do - i dont knock you! if you got em' why not flaunt em??

LMAO...I love how everybody jumped you and started talking about how the entire population of Dallas are homos, blah blah blah...too funny!

LEONARD
05-15-2006, 01:36 PM
At one point Barry DID say "but maybe I'm biased"...

Nooooooooo, ya think??

SpursWoman
05-15-2006, 01:44 PM
LMAO...I love how everybody jumped you and started talking about how the entire population of Dallas are homos, blah blah blah...too funny!

No one jumped her.

LEONARD
05-15-2006, 01:50 PM
No one jumped her.

Fair enough...jumped the city of Dallas...

Only a Mavs fan would have a problem with that.

SpursWoman
05-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Fair enough...jumped the city of Dallas...

You saw that person pretty much called us whores, right? Without having a clue as to what the avatars are for?

Or was that okay because he's a Maverick fan?

Kori Ellis
05-15-2006, 01:57 PM
DampierAmIdiot - So if you see a girl in her bra or bathing suit, she's a whore? There's nothing on here that you can't see at a beach. If it offends you so much, you have a choice to LEAVE or turn off your avatars in your control panel.

To explain the history, since you are a dumbfuck afterall, it's a thing we do for solidarity that in the meantime raises money for breast cancer research. It's not a contest.

Anyway, next time a mod ask you to apologize for being an idiot, I suggest you do it. Or your time is over here.

Thanks, ass.

Jimcs50
05-15-2006, 01:59 PM
DampierAmIdiot - So if you see a girl in her bra or bathing suit, she's a whore? There's nothing on here that you can't see at a beach. If it offends you so much, you have a choice to LEAVE or turn off your avatars in your control panel.

To explain the history, since you are a dumbfuck afterall, it's a thing we do for solidarity that in the meantime raises money for breast cancer research. It's not a contest.

Anyway, next time a mod ask you to apologize for being an idiot, I suggest you do it. Or your time is over here.

Thanks, ass.

He must be Muslim. Those are the only idiots that call women whores for showing their bras.

samikeyp
05-15-2006, 02:01 PM
LMAO...I love how everybody jumped you and started talking about how the entire population of Dallas are homos, blah blah blah...too funny

why not...you have claimed all Spurs fans are all the same in several posts.

City smack is very weak though.

SpursWoman
05-15-2006, 02:11 PM

He must be Muslim. Those are the only idiots that call women whore for showing their bras.

True ... I didn't think about that one. All I could think of was ... "Cooties!!!"

T Park
05-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Leave it to the mavericks fans to ruin another post.

God these fuckers are worse than Laker fans back in the day.

Shit, way to go fuckers.

Trainwreck2100
05-15-2006, 02:54 PM

Shit, way to go fuckers.

Got to be #1 at something

George Gervin's Afro
05-15-2006, 02:54 PM

Shit, way to go fuckers.

well there is a difference their basketball team (lakers) had actually accomplished something. just wanted to make sure to clarify that.

nbascribe
05-15-2006, 02:55 PM
Breast milk? did someone say breast milk? lol

Kori do i need to post my nba referee article too? lol

Ah hell, why not....some Mavericks' fans might need to understand the rule book!! lol

gm

mikejones99
05-15-2006, 03:12 PM
nothing wrong with sluts. Sex is a good thing. Boobs are good. Spurs will crush Dallas. Rick Barry was an MVP player and was correct about them calls. 24 free throws for Dirk

whottt
05-15-2006, 03:17 PM

Thanks, ass.

Now you know why Dallas Housewives are so willing, if not desperate, to look elsewhere for...stuff. :fro. Seriously.

That attitude(otherwise known as being stuck in 1940) is not that uncommon up there...

nbascribe
05-15-2006, 03:20 PM
And Damp the idiot is....gone!!

Loser, he doesn't know how to read betwee the lines either...lol

whottt
05-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Seriously, in my 34 1/2 years on the planet, I've never in my life heard a normal, red-blooded man complain about exposed boobage unless he was 5 years old and still thinks girls have cooties. :lol :lol

I'm not sure a homosexual man would complain either, because they are generally more open-minded. :spin

Good post...I think questioning his sexual orientation isn't the right point of attack though...it seems to have no effect on him...

Where is GayABC when we need him? He'd know how to handle this asshat.

JohnMcClane
05-15-2006, 03:21 PM
Rashaud (las Vegas): Ok.....John was Duncan's 6th foul in game 3 really a foul or did Dallas get saved on that play?

John Hollinger: (3:40 PM ET ) That's such a tough call to make, but I probably would have blown the whistle there, just because Duncan's leg was stretched outside the plane of his body. Especially as tightly as that game was officiated.

George Gervin's Afro
05-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Rashaud (las Vegas): Ok.....John was Duncan's 6th foul in game 3 really a foul or did Dallas get saved on that play?

John Hollinger: (3:40 PM ET ) That's such a tough call to make, but I probably would have blown the whistle there, just because Duncan's leg was stretched outside the plane of his body. Especially as tightly as that game was officiated.

well anytime i roll my ankle and fall into someone i always call a foul on the dude taking me.. i mean hey there was contact..