PDA

View Full Version : Here's an idea

TDfan2007
05-15-2006, 12:33 PM
PUT TIM ON DIRK!!!

Absolutely nothing else has worked. Tim has the mobility and length to effectively gaurd Dirk.

I know you guys are going to pull out the "but he'll get in foul trouble" card. That's not true. Tim picks up most of his fouls on help D, not when gaurding his man one on one. Actually chances are, if Dirk gets by Tim, then the help defender will pick up the foul and not Tim.

Anyone agree?

EVAY
05-15-2006, 12:35 PM
Actually, I agree completely. I don't know why we haven't done it, except that to do it means that Tim would have to guard away from the basket a lot, and he really doesn't like to do that, and is not very good at it. I still believe we need a shot blocker in the post ( besides Duncan), but Pop still won't do it. He' just too stubborn sometimes.

101A
05-15-2006, 12:39 PM
Dirk will pull Tim out of the middle, then drive right by him; Tim WILL be in foul trouble. (Of course he's consistently in fould trouble anyway.

Besides, Dirk hasn't been the problem this series.

FromWayDowntown
05-15-2006, 12:40 PM
If the Spurs stay small, you can't do that. The only thing that's been remotely a deterrent to the Mavs' drives has been Duncan at the rim. If you play Duncan on Dirk, you open up the lane for drivers and don't have a shot blocker/shot changer underneath; you essentially create a layup line for Harris and others who've just been blowing by Parker on the perimeter.

What made things better for the Spurs in Game 3 was the decision to switch every screen in the 2nd half. The Spurs ended up with Parker on Dirk for periods of time, but Dirk didn't seem inclined to try to exploit that matchup. I'd think the Spurs will be switching everything early tonight.

Jimcs50
05-15-2006, 12:51 PM
This is why I want Rasho on Dirk and TD on Dampier and Diop. TD gets to stay arond the hoop to stop penetration, and Dirk would have to shoot over the taller Rasho.

SsKSpurs21
05-15-2006, 12:58 PM
we saw this last series against the kings. the kings played small ball with brad miller hanging out on the perimeter. duncan had to stay out because miller can hit long range shots which opened the floor for bonzi and artest.

mabber
05-15-2006, 01:14 PM
PUT TIM ON DIRK!!!

Absolutely nothing else has worked. Tim has the mobility and length to effectively gaurd Dirk.

I know you guys are going to pull out the "but he'll get in foul trouble" card. That's not true. Tim picks up most of his fouls on help D, not when gaurding his man one on one. Actually chances are, if Dirk gets by Tim, then the help defender will pick up the foul and not Tim.

Anyone agree?

This might work tonight with Dirk possibly being limited. I think you're on to something. I'm not so sure Tim can handle Dirk on the perimeter if Dirk is healthy though. Just like Dirk can't handle Tim down low.

Jimcs50
05-15-2006, 01:18 PM
This might work tonight with Dirk possibly being limited. I think you're on to something. I'm not so sure Tim can handle Dirk on the perimeter if Dirk is healthy though. Just like Dirk can't handle Tim down low.

I do not want TD getting fouls against Dirk, it is obvious that Dirk gets a lot more respect from the refs than TD....I mean TD is just a former 2 time MVP of this league, Dirk is a member of the German national team and a WC finalist.

Spurologist
05-15-2006, 01:20 PM
Tim is not a perimeter player. He needs to clog the lane against other players. This means more penetration from guards and more offensive rebounds for the mavs. TD has switched on Dirk many times and I remember him picking up silly pump fake fouls. If it's even an idea to have TD on Dirk, there needs to be another big inside to protect the basket. Insert Rasho/Nazr.

v2000
05-15-2006, 01:57 PM
PUT TIM ON DIRK!!!

Anyone agree?
That is actually probably the worst move the Spurs could make. When Tim isn't in the middle, it is completely exposed,. even if Nazr or Rasho are in there (they havent played more than 1 minute in this whole series if i recall), it will still be very weak, and Harris will be able to penetrate at will. Harris has already had a field day, but it will MUCH worse for the Spurs if they put Duncan on Dirk.

v2000
05-15-2006, 01:59 PM
I do not want TD getting fouls against Dirk, it is obvious that Dirk gets a lot more respect from the refs than TD....I mean TD is just a former 2 time MVP of this league, Dirk is a member of the German national team and a WC finalist.
Dirk gets more respect than Duncan? ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?!?!?!?! You are a total fucking moron for saying that. That is probably the stupidest shit ever said in the history of this forum. Just think before you say dumb shit like that. Dirk has definitley gotten more respect as of late, but there is no way in hell that anyone with a brain would say that Dirk Nowitzki gets more respect from the refs than Tim Duncan.

Jimcs50
05-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Dirk gets more respect than Duncan? ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?!?!?!?! You are a total fucking moron for saying that. That is probably the stupidest shit ever said in the history of this forum. Just think before you say dumb shit like that. Dirk has definitley gotten more respect as of late, but there is no way in hell that anyone with a brain would say that Dirk Nowitzki gets more respect from the refs than Tim Duncan.

You are one that needs people to put the little faces to show when a post is dripping with sarcasm, right?

:rolleyes

Dirk has gotten more calls/ drive to the basket than TD has, that is fact.

strangeweather
05-15-2006, 02:35 PM
This is why I want Rasho on Dirk and TD on Dampier and Diop. TD gets to stay arond the hoop to stop penetration, and Dirk would have to shoot over the taller Rasho.

Rasho doesn't have nearly the quickness to chase Dirk around. Dirk would not have been an MVP candidate if teams could just throw slow 7 footers out there and shut him down.

With someone like Rasho, Dirk has enough speed to either create his own shot by moving to get separation or to create contact and get to the line. Even Tim would be hard pressed to stay out of foul trouble, which is one of the major reason he rarely covers Dirk.

The bottom line, as far as I can see: if the Spurs hadn't waited a quarter before showing up to the game, their plan for Game 3 would have worked perfectly.

Jimcs50
05-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Rasho doesn't have nearly the quickness to chase Dirk around. Dirk would not have been an MVP candidate if teams could just throw slow 7 footers out there and shut him down.

With someone like Rasho, Dirk has enough speed to either create his own shot by moving to get separation or to create contact and get to the line. Even Tim would be hard pressed to stay out of foul trouble, which is one of the major reason he rarely covers Dirk.

The bottom line, as far as I can see: if the Spurs hadn't waited a quarter before showing up to the game, their plan for Game 3 would have worked perfectly.

Dirk is not 100%....read my post about why I want Rasho on Dirk.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41058&page=2

strangeweather
05-15-2006, 02:52 PM
Dirk is not 100%....read my post about why I want Rasho on Dirk.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41058&page=2

My apologies -- if Dirk is really limping around out there, that completely changes the game, and Rasho could cover him. If he can't jump or cut, Rasho might shut him down pretty effectively.

OTOH, if he's just playing possum and looks ok tonight, I think we need to stick to Horry and Oberto.