PDA

View Full Version : Has Karl Rove Been Indicted?

Nbadan
05-15-2006, 12:57 PM
That's what Jason Leopold and truthout.org are claiming in a news feature article over the weekend...

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/w/d/rove_arrested.jpg
Will humor become reality?

Karl Rove Indicted on Charges of Perjury, Lying to Investigators
By Jason Leopold
t r u t h o u t | Report
Saturday 13 May 2006

Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald spent more than half a day Friday at the offices of Patton Boggs, the law firm representing Karl Rove.

During the course of that meeting, Fitzgerald served attorneys for former Deputy White House Chief of Staff Karl Rove with an indictment charging the embattled White House official with perjury and lying to investigators related to his role in the CIA leak case, and instructed one of the attorneys to tell Rove that he has 24 hours to get his affairs in order, high level sources with direct knowledge of the meeting said Saturday morning.

Robert Luskin, Rove's attorney, did not return a call for comment. Sources said Fitzgerald was in Washington, DC, Friday and met with Luskin for about 15 hours to go over the charges against Rove, which include perjury and lying to investigators about how and when Rove discovered that Valerie Plame Wilson was a covert CIA operative and whether he shared that information with reporters, sources with direct knowledge of the meeting said.

It was still unknown Saturday whether Fitzgerald charged Rove with a more serious obstruction of justice charge. Sources close to the case said Friday that it appeared very likely that an obstruction charge against Rove would be included with charges of perjury and lying to investigators.

An announcement by Fitzgerald is expected to come this week, sources close to the case said. However, the day and time is unknown. Randall Samborn, a spokesman for the special prosecutor was unavailable for comment. In the past, Samborn said he could not comment on the case.

The grand jury hearing evidence in the Plame Wilson case met Friday on other matters while Fitzgerald spent the entire day at Luskin's office. The meeting was a closely guarded secret and seems to have taken place without the knowledge of the media.

More: Truthout (http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/051306W.shtml)

Rove’s speech commitment at the AEI has disappeared from the Coming Events section at AEI’s website (http://www.aei.org/events/filter.all/events.asp).

The Sun Today issued a denial of this story by a Rove aid:

Rove Indictment Report Denied
By Staff Reporter of the Sun
May 15, 2006

A spokesman for a top White House aide under scrutiny in a criminal leak probe, Karl Rove, yesterday vigorously denied an Internet report that the political adviser to President Bush was told that he had been indicted on charges of perjury and lying to investigators.

"The story is a complete fabrication," the spokesman for Mr. Rove, Mark Corallo, told The New York Sun. "It is both malicious and disgraceful."

The Sun (http://www.nysun.com/article/32727)

If it's such a fabrication, why won't Luskin and Corallo talk to reporters?

Oh, Gee!!
05-15-2006, 01:10 PM
But Clinton got a blowjob, and Kennedy's son got away with a DWI

Nbadan
05-15-2006, 01:15 PM
More on this story: It looks like Rove did make the coference for the AEI today -

NEWS ANALYSIS
By Tom Curry
National affairs writer
MSNBC

WASHINGTON- Some Democrats have already celebrated the downfall of Karl Rove.

At a Michigan Trial Lawyers’ Association dinner Saturday night in Dearborn, Mich., the group's vice president Robert Raitt announced — according to the Detroit Free Press — that President Bush’s longtime strategist had just been indicted. The announcement reportedly prompted a standing ovation by the crowd of 700, which included Sen. Hillary Clinton.

Strange then that a relaxed-looking Rove – not indicted, not out on bail, and wearing a business suit, not orange prison garb -- was in person at the right-wing think tank, American Enterprise Institute Monday morning.

MSNBC (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12799420)

Fitzmas?

xrayzebra
05-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Gee dan, you didn't go into withdrawal because he is still free,
did you. Once again you leftwing bloggers screwed up.

Whats new pussy cat....yeoww....yeoww...yeoww.

Sorry OG, must use my own thing every now and then.

JoeChalupa
05-15-2006, 03:54 PM
If he is guilty he needs to be dealt with just like everyone else....or at least like Rush Limpballs.

Extra Stout
06-16-2006, 10:58 AM
No.

xrayzebra
06-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Dan, you next to each other, why don't you talk.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39405

Nbadan
06-16-2006, 11:06 AM
Jury is still out, but the fact remains that Rove lied to reporters.

C R E D I B I L I T Y

boutons_
06-16-2006, 12:29 PM
The Repugs are joyous because Rove wasn't indicted, but the investigation showed without any doubt that Rove lied, and dubya lied when he said his WH was not involved.

The Repugs' threshold for joyousness is in the toilet.

xrayzebra
06-16-2006, 02:10 PM
boutons, is boutons, is bountons. At least you are dependable. We always know
you have no sense of what is really going on in the real world. But we understand
and feel your pain. Rest easy son. Just bite down on the hard rubber thing in
your mouth. It will all be over real soon. And you will feel so much better.

jochhejaam
06-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Excerpt from Wolf Blitzer interview with Democratic Senator Joe Biden.

BLITZER: We have time for one final question, unrelated. Karl Rove off the hook from the special prosecutor. What do you make of this?

BIDEN: Oh I make of it that there weren't facts to make the case against him and I respect the prosecutor because obviously it was overwhelming pressure for him to do something. I think the hardest job for a prosecutor is not to indict and I trust his judgment that if he said there weren't the facts here to indict, that he shouldn't and Karl Rove as far as I'm concerned then is innocent of any wrongdoing.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0606/13/sitroom.03.html

Extra Stout
06-16-2006, 10:48 PM
joch, Joe Biden had dinner with Joe Liebermann recently, so he's basically a neocon and you have to disregard everything he says. Plus, no self-respecting enlightened progressive can come from podunk Delaware.

jochhejaam
06-16-2006, 11:04 PM
joch, Joe Biden had dinner with Joe Liebermann recently, so he's basically a neocon and you have to disregard everything he says. Plus, no self-respecting enlightened progressive can come from podunk Delaware.
My bad, I had totally forgotten about that dinner.

Nbadan
06-17-2006, 01:16 AM
When did Joe Biden gain any credibility with the chicken-hawk crowd?

jochhejaam
06-17-2006, 03:52 PM
Good article from Blade columnist Jack Kelly

The liberal rush to judgment

THERE was anger, anguish, and incredulity in the fever swamps this week when Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald made it clear he would not indict White House political guru Karl Rove in his apparently endless investigation of the outing of CIA officer Valerie Plame.

This should remind us the greater threat to our civil liberties comes not from the measures the Bush Administration has taken to protect us from terrorists, but from prosecutors who abuse their power for political purposes.

Liberals wanted Mr. Rove indicted because he is a skilled political adversary.

The interest among liberals in an indictment of the person who actually told columnist Robert Novak about Ms. Plame (thought to be former Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage) is zero, because there would be no political gain from it.

Their efforts to criminalize policy differences stem from two related beliefs, both inimical to democracy.

The first is the belief that anyone who disagrees with me is evil and must be punished. It's hard to find people on the moonbat left who don't think this way.

The second is the belief that whatever I do to obtain political power is legitimate. Many Democrats who recognize belief No. 1 is a crock eagerly embrace this one.

Travis County (Austin) District Attorney Ronnie Earle indicted then House Majority Leader Tom DeLay for a fund-raising practice that wasn't illegal under Texas law, and which he knew Democrats were using, too.

For more than two years, the state attorney in Palm Beach tried to indict conservative radio talk-show host Rush Limbaugh for a felony because of his addiction to painkillers. Contrast this with the kid-glove treatment given Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D., R.I.), whose substance abuse problems are more public.

For liberals, it's the accusation that matters, not whether or not it is true. Consider the liberal rush to judgment in the Duke rape case.

Duke University lacrosse players raped me, an exotic dancer claimed in March. Because the accuser is black and female, and the accused are white males, liberals needed no evidence to declare their guilt.

Among them was District Attorney Mike Nifong, who was weeks away from a hotly contested primary election.

Mr. Nifong indicted three Duke players based on a questionable identification from the accuser, despite the fact there was no DNA evidence linking them to her, and that at least one of the three had an alibi.

Mr. Nifong won his primary, but his case is falling apart. He'd concealed from the grand jury and the presiding judge that the accuser had told wildly different stories (she'd been raped by three men; she'd been raped by 20 men; she hadn't been raped at all), and that the nurse who examined her found no evidence of rape, or that she'd been beaten and strangled, as she claimed.

I suspect Mr. Fitzgerald didn't indict Mr. Rove because he doesn't want to be known as the Mike Nifong of federal prosecutors. But it may be too late.

Mr. Fitzgerald was appointed to determine whether the Intelligence Identities Protection Act had been violated. The answer was no, because the law applies only to those who are working undercover overseas, or who have done so in the five years preceding disclosure, and Ms. Plame had been manning a desk at CIA headquarters for longer than that.

Not deterred by the absence of a crime, Mr. Fitzgerald indicted I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Jr., then the chief of staff for the vice president, for allegedly lying about his conversations with Time magazine's Matthew Cooper. But various drafts of Mr. Cooper's story about Ms. Plame suggest it may be Mr. Cooper who has the credibility issues.

Mr. Fitzgerald is a sloppy prosecutor who rushes to judgment, and then has to backtrack, charged Washington, D.C., lawyer Clarice Feldman.

In one recent high-profile case, Mr. Fitzgerald's staff mistakenly sent 16 cartons of classified documents to attorneys for the terror suspects he was prosecuting, she said. In another, Mr. Fitzgerald charged the victim in a financial fraud case instead of its perpetrators.

"Fitzgerald is good at creating elaborate facades which tart up the ramshackle huts to which they are affixed," Ms. Feldman said. "Once those facades are removed, it is obvious the cases behind them are rickety."

Journalists who do not wish to be cross-examined about when and from whom they learned of Ms. Plame's occupation want this case to go away. I suspect Mr. Fitzgerald does, too, but it's hard to dismount from the tiger he's riding.

Jack Kelly is national security writer for The Blade and the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

JoeChalupa
06-18-2006, 09:06 AM
I knew KR would walk.