PDA

View Full Version : Morgellons Disease Infects South Texas

Nbadan
05-15-2006, 01:32 PM
If diseases like AIDS and bird flu scare you, wait until you hear what's next. Doctors are trying to find out what is causing a bizarre and mysterious infection that's surfaced in South Texas.

Morgellons disease is not yet known to kill, but if you were to get it, you might wish you were dead, as the symptoms are horrible.

"These people will have like beads of sweat but it's black, black and tarry," said Ginger Savely, a nurse practioner in Austin who treats a majority of these patients.

Patients get lesions that never heal.

"Sometimes little black specks that come out of the lesions and sometimes little fibers," said Stephanie Bailey, Morgellons patient.

Patients say that's the worst symptom — strange fibers that pop out of your skin in different colors.

"He'd have attacks and fibers would come out of his hands and fingers, white, black and sometimes red. Very, very painful," said Lisa Wilson, whose son Travis had Morgellon's disease.

While all of this is going on, it feels like bugs are crawling under your skin. So far more than 100 cases of Morgellons disease have been reported in South Texas.

-snip-

So far, pathologists have failed to find any infection in the fibers pulled from lesions.

"Clearly something is physically happening here," said Dr. Randy Wymore, a researcher at the Morgellons Research Foundation at Oklahoma State University's Center for Health Sciences.

Wymore examines the fibers, scabs and other samples from Morgellon's patients to try and find the disease's cause.

MySA.com (http://www.mysanantonio.com/global-includes/printstory.jsp?path=/news/metro/stories/MYSA051106.morgellans.KENS.32030524.html)

Morgellons Disease was coined, not by clinical researchers, but by a mom after finding 'bed bugs' in her son's bed following a skin affliction...

Across the country, thousands of people complaining of the same horrifying phenomenon have formed an illness subculture. They share lists of symptoms, medical speculation and tales of run-ins with mainstream doctors at www.morgellons.org, the official Web site of a group called the Morgellons Research Foundation. It was founded in 2002 by Mary Leitao in McMurray, Pa. Leitao named the condition Morgellons Disease--after a disease with similar symptoms mentioned in a 16th-century medical text--while investigating a skin affliction on her then-2-year-old son.

Popular Mechanics (http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/medicine/1662162.html)

It seems that it clears up really quickly when treated with anti-psychotic medication.

Vashner
05-15-2006, 04:49 PM
I think it's some kind of borrowing parasite.

Yonivore
05-15-2006, 05:05 PM
What's the parasite borrowing? Cash? Cigarettes?

Phenomanul
05-15-2006, 05:31 PM
What's the parasite borrowing? Cash? Cigarettes?

:lol :lol

burrowing...

Oh, Gee!!
05-15-2006, 05:47 PM

so's my cousin, Chuy.

Vashner
05-15-2006, 05:52 PM
lol yea funny typo. haha. I didn't even see that lol..

Oh, Gee!!
05-15-2006, 05:55 PM
lol yea funny typo. haha. I didn't even see that lol..

repeat this 6,138+ more times and you'll have caught them all

Vashner
05-15-2006, 06:03 PM
Still bet I am fucking right though... they said some shit was wiggling around and strings shit came out...

And it's spring.. that's normally when chiggers and shit attack..

Ever seen those pork worm things?

Sec24Row7
05-16-2006, 07:51 AM
If you ask me it is tranmitted by the Chupacabra...

Supersticious fuckers...

hehe

Vashner
05-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Munchin' :)

At least I am not the only one making funny typos..

Munchausen

Nbadan
05-16-2006, 12:22 PM
The thing is, if this is such an outbreak then why aren't we hearing about it on the State and local news? Where is the CDC on this?

Cant_Be_Faded
05-16-2006, 07:48 PM
very curious indeed
seeing how its Dubya's home state and all

DarkReign
05-17-2006, 10:53 AM
The thing is, if this is such an outbreak then why aren't we hearing about it on the State and local news? Where is the CDC on this?

Because it is almost universally dismissed as a hoax. Even if an official medical body admits the symptoms, they would most certainly attribute it to a psychotic byproduct.

Frank Brickowski
05-18-2006, 03:52 PM

Deborah Knapp did a long piece on this last week on KENS 5. It lead one guy here to committ suicide.

boutons_
07-25-2006, 06:08 AM
CDC considers Texas for Morgellons study

Web Posted: 07/25/2006 12:50 AM CDT

Deborah Knapp
KENS 5 Eyewitness News

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is launching a study of Morgellons disease that may target South Texas where more than 100 people are suffering from the illness.

Cindy Casey suffers from Morgellons. Symptoms of the disease include lesions that leave scars, the sensation of bugs crawling under the skin, and fibers that pop out of the skin.

"Mostly black and white. Some of them were blue, and some of them were red. The whole area gets really sore and you feel some sort of crawling sensation around the lesion," Casey said.

Like others, Casey was diagnosed with delusional parasitosis — delusions of parasites. Most doctors do not recognize Morgellons as a disease.

However, one medical school is taking Morgellons very seriously. Most of the research on Morgellons is being done at Oklahoma State University in Tulsa. Doctors and scientists at OSU said this disease is real, and it's frightening.

"I am 100 percent convinced that Morgellons is a real disease pathology," said Dr. Randy Wymore, an assistant professor of pharmacology and physiology at OSU.

Wymore has spent the past year studying hundreds of fibers from Morgellons patients.

"The samples do look very similar to one another," he said.

Wymore added that the fibers don't look like anything found in textiles. He has also determined that the fibers are not rubbing off from clothing, because doctors at OSU have found the fibers inside the body.

"We were able to observe fibers under completely unbroken skin," he said.

Dr. Rhonda Casey has examined more than 30 Morgellons patients.

"There's no question in my mind that it's a real disease," she said.

Dr. Casey has extracted fibers from under the skin, and examined them under a microscope.

"If it were not for the fibers, the patients would all be taken seriously. So I think even though the fibers may be a key to helping us diagnose this disease, they have also been a hinderance to it even being accepted as a real disease in the past," she said.

Even thought the lesions and fibers are the most visible symptoms, doctors said the more damaging effects of this disease are the nerve and neurological damage, which affects the ability to think and move.

"Trouble concentrating, trouble communicating, and problems thinking of the words you want to say, and how you want to express yourself," patient Cindy Casey said.

However, it is the symptoms that sound like science fiction that make this disease like no other.

"I pulled some fibers out, and I was just taking a look at it, and the fibers just started to move around, kind of around each other," Cindy Casey said. "And I screamed to Charles (my husband), 'Charles, come here and look, because everyone's been telling me I'm crazy. Charles, look at this,' and he looked at it, and yeah, he saw it too."

"This one I didn't want to believe," Charles Casey said.

Incidents like that are just one more bizarre part to this puzzling disease that seems to be spreading.

"There is the slightly frightening component to it that we don't know what causes this. If more and more people are coming down with Morgellons, we need to get a handle on this," Wymore said. "Is there an environmental component that needs to be addressed? Is it contagious? These are all things that we don't know the answer to at this point."

The CDC has formed a task force to investigate Morgellons, and they are launching a study to find out where this condition is most common and who it affects. Texas is one of the states with the most cases per capita, and the epidemiology study may be conducted here.

The CDC has setup an e-mail address for people to ask questions, because of the volume of calls following the reports that aired on KENS 5 in May. That e-mail address is [email protected].
Online at: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA072406.morgellons.KENS.1e13fade.html

Phenomanul
07-25-2006, 08:28 AM
Scary stuff...

clambake
07-25-2006, 10:48 AM
Sounds like it's time for a good old fashioned texas faith healer.