PDA

View Full Version : How To Win Game 4

timvp
05-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Winner of Game 4 is going to win the series. The Spurs almost got Game 3 but it slipped out of their grasp. Today, the Spurs need to play like they did in fourth quarter all game and just dismantle Dallas. No more messing around.

Offensively, the Spurs looked good in the second half. The key versus the Mavs is spacing. When the floor is spaced, the Spurs can score pretty easily. Duncan has dominated in the post and it seems like Tony and Manu have figured out how to get to the rim consistently. The Mavs aren’t helping off of the perimeter much, so the Spurs should continue to get whatever they want. Duncan, Parker and Ginobili need to combine for at least 80 points since the rest of the team will be guarded closely.

Offense, however, is not the problem. Defensively and on the glass is where the Spurs have struggled. To improve their rebounding, the Spurs just need to box out. Bowen was doing a poor job in boxing out Dirk. He was engaging him late and letting Dirk get too good of position. Duncan wasn’t boxing out well either and was mistiming his jumps. It’d also be nice if Parker and Manu would join the fray and battle more for defensive rebounds.

I watched the second half of Game 3 a couple times and the Mavs are very predictable offensively.

The Mavs ran pick-and-roll every time up the court in the fourth quarter other than the one time they isolated Stackhouse. The Mavs look to see how the Spurs are defending them and then select which matchup they want to pick-and-roll with.

A favorite of theirs in the fourth was with their center (Dampier or Diop) and Harris. They ran this play at least a half dozen times in the final stanza. The reason why they continued to run it was because the Spurs were switching it and leaving Duncan alone to guard Harris. Harris got to the basket a few times for layups and another couple times he drew a foul, so the Mavs just kept running it.

Honestly, I hated the way the Spurs were guarding it. Leaving Duncan on an island versus a quick point guard is an easy way to get your bigman into foul trouble. It’s also a good way to give up a bunch of easy layups.

What I would do is not switch any pick-and-rolls that Harris is involved in. Just have the point guard go under the screen. What you want to do with Harris is make him shoot or pass. He can’t do either. Harris doesn’t have a jumper to speak of and had a grand total of zero assists in Game 3. He has below average court vision and never once looked to pass the ball off of the pick-and-roll. He put his head down and attacked the basket with a seven-footer guarding him.

Make dude shoot the ball. Go way under the screen and dare him to hit the 15-footer. Or just trap the pick-and-roll with the point guard and Duncan and make him pass. The one thing you don’t to let him do is go one-on-one. That’s the one thing he does well. Harris scoring 24 points was just a matter of the Spurs playing dumb.

The Mavs also like to run a pick-and-roll between Terry and Dirk. The Spurs switched this and that oftentimes put Parker on Dirk. And actually, that’s decent matchup. Dirk doesn’t post up so having a point guard on him isn’t too big a deal. But what Parker (or Van Exel) has to do is just stay in front of him. For some reason Parker was pressuring him too much and that let him easily drive the lane. Just stay in front of him, send help and Dirk will pass. At worst he’ll take a contested jumper … which he hasn’t hit consistently in this series.

Other matchups the Mavs have been attacking are Howard versus a big or Stackhouse versus Manu. With Howard, you just have to make him shoot. He might hit some, but he’s a streaky shooter. I’ll live with him taking jumpers. Regarding Stackhouse, Manu just has to do a better job guarding him. Stackhouse has scored on him too much this series.

In reality, nothing the Mavs do should be that hard to guard. I have no idea what the hell they were trying to do with the Harris pick-and-roll. The way the Spurs guarded that was beyond stupid. They guarded Dirk well, except they gave him too many driving lanes. Keep him in front of you. If he shoots and makes it … oh well, you live with that. You can’t let him drive into the lane and start flailing his arms and getting Duncan in foul trouble.

The Mavs hit one three-pointer last game. Dirk didn’t even attempt a field goal in the fourth quarter. Harris air balled his one jumper and finished without an assist.

Just make the Mavs shoot it and stop letting Harris go one-on-one. Do that and the Spurs win going away.

Believe.

MAVS FAN
05-15-2006, 04:34 PM
actually, 76% of game 3 winners have won the series in all of the leagues playoff history

timvp
05-15-2006, 04:36 PM
actually, 76% of game 3 winners have won the series in all of the leagues playoff history

You worry about history. We'll worry about the present.

Spurs lost Game 3 versus the Kings too. I guess it used to be 77% :jack

MAVS FAN
05-15-2006, 04:37 PM
ah yes, we will see, and it will be so sweet to see that percentage increase.

Nbadan
05-15-2006, 04:39 PM
The Mav's run one play right, the back-door pic for Harris. I'm surprised it took the Spurs a whole half to figure out how to guard against it.

Whoever is being guarded by Jason Terry should take the ball to the hole. Terry is a defensive liability for Dallas, over-extends on D, and almost always can be faked out. Harris plays to far off the dribble and should be screened. Where the Fuck is POP and Carlesimo with these adjustments?

desertlobo
05-15-2006, 04:40 PM
keep nowitzki from getting to the line 22 times:)

Shank
05-15-2006, 04:41 PM
I like and understand everything you wrote, but the Mavs can still shoot from the outside if they want to. That was their M.O. before Avery rolled in. Granted, if they're shooting funky and have an off-night well then - it's church. But I'm thinking a little of column A and column B is what it would take to keep the Mavs in check.

DubMcDub
05-15-2006, 04:58 PM
You worry about history. We'll worry about the present.

Spurs lost Game 3 versus the Kings too. I guess it used to be 77% :jack

Actually the Kings series didnt' count into that statistic because it is only valid in series that began 1-1. He forgot to mention that part.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-15-2006, 04:59 PM
- Don't make Nowitzki set for a jumper. Make him work into the post. Whether it's Bruce, Oberto, Horry or Duncan; just stay in front of him and force him to post up or pass. If someone sets a screen for him, go under it, we don't want to watch Oberto trying to guard Harris, and if that happens, make him shoot.

- Dare the rest of Dallas to shoot. So far penetration was our main problem. Backing down a little and going under screens will force them to shoot, and they haven't been that great in that aspect.

- Everyone needs to help when boxing out. If we are getting outrebounded and things get out of control, put Oberto or Rasho, and see if you can force them to change their lineup.

- Play defense with hands and feet moving but up all the time. Avoid a whistlefest for the Mavs again. Specially if Bavetta is the ref.

- Spread the floor well. Small ball helps this, but the key factor is hitting the jumpers early. If Manu and Tony hit their jumpers early, they'll start penetrating easily. Dallas would collapse on the paint; Barry, Finley, Van Exel and Bruce should have a good game, we need them to be on target.

- If we don't make those shots, it's time to put someone who can grab some offensive rebounds (Nazr? Oberto?), otherwise we will be watching Dallas run the fastbreak.

- Put two shooters on the side where Tim Duncan is, another one in the far corner. They'll have to chose, double him or get destroyed.

- Mix a little bit of everything in offense. Don't stay with four down, or motion, or flex, or whatever it is for too long. Switch the plays according to the players on the court. Rebounding well in defense would be nice to get some fast break points. Pick'n'roll involving Manu/Parker and Duncan/Horry is vital. A few more minutes of Rasho/Oberto to set some good screens wouldn't hurt.

- Take care of the ball and avoid stupid turnovers. It sounds obvious, but the Spurs have been missing this for some time. Also, play focused and concentrated since the tipoff. Try to be consistent, making every possesion count, and avoid Dallas making runs of uncontested points.

FromWayDowntown
05-15-2006, 05:00 PM
I thought the Spurs aided their defensive effort substantially when they began switching everything in the second half. I'm sure AJ has some adjustment in mind to try to account for that, but I think over the long haul, switching the Dirk screens is the Spurs best bet.

I also agree with timvp on the notion of daring Harris (and Howard, for that matter) to shoot the ball from distance by going under screens and playing off of them a bit. If those guys get hot and hit shots to beat you, they do it. Better that than having them drive and drive and drive to not only score but also pick up fouls and free throws.

The Spurs have had some trouble with Dampier's pin-downs on some of Harris' drives, mostly I think, because there isn't another big on the weakside who can rotate and protect the rim and the sole big on the floor is being manhandled by Dampier in some fashion just above the block and just outside of the lane. It's been rather obvious that when the ballside of the floor is the ballhandler and Dampier, there will be a drive to attack the rim. When that happens, if the Spurs guard pressures the ball toward the baseline and the big plays behind Dampier, the pin-down becomes less plausible and the drive can be stopped. It would open a pass back to the middle and perhaps give a driving opportunity there as well, but there would be more help there plus an additional beat or two to allow the big (Tim) to recover and protect the rim.

FromWayDowntown
05-15-2006, 05:02 PM

Sure; even so, almost a quarter of the teams down 2-1 after game 3 have gone on to win the series. I'd be curious how many of the 24% had a pedigree like this Spurs' team.

picnroll
05-15-2006, 05:06 PM
Attack the rim with Parker and Manu constantly. Attack with Duncan. Put a hurting on the Mavs bigs foul-wise. In the second game Parker got a numebr of fastbreaks where he got into Dirk's body and got no call. These were exactly the same plays that Harris was getting calls on in game three. Force the refs to call it one way or the other.

Vashner
05-15-2006, 05:21 PM
I think Tim's gonna have a triple double tonight...

strangeweather
05-15-2006, 06:21 PM
What I would do is not switch any pick-and-rolls that Harris is involved in. Just have the point guard go under the screen. What you want to do with Harris is make him shoot or pass.

Amen to that. We need to stop giving up the easy free throws and layups. He's impressively quick off the drive, but he's a one-trick pony at this point.

Spurologist
05-15-2006, 06:34 PM
The bench needs to produce PERIOD. Barry/FIN have been quiet. Horry has been invisible. His fingerprints need and will be all over game 4 tonight.

ndnjumpman
05-15-2006, 08:13 PM
What I would do is not switch any pick-and-rolls that Harris is involved in. Just have the point guard go under the screen. What you want to do with Harris is make him shoot or pass. He can’t do either. Harris doesn’t have a jumper to speak of and had a grand total of zero assists in Game 3. He has below average court vision and never once looked to pass the ball off of the pick-and-roll. He put his head down and attacked the basket with a seven-footer guarding him.

Make dude shoot the ball. Go way under the screen and dare him to hit the 15-footer. Or just trap the pick-and-roll with the point guard and Duncan and make him pass. The one thing you don’t to let him do is go one-on-one. That’s the one thing he does well. Harris scoring 24 points was just a matter of the Spurs playing dumb.

i wonder if youve seen the devin harris behind the head pass half court to keith van horn..."below average court vision"

ALVAREZ6
05-15-2006, 08:26 PM
Believe.
Let's do this.

Dre_7
05-15-2006, 09:56 PM
Harris hit a lot of big jumpers in college. He can shoot the J. They just need to get a hand up when he commits to shooting.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-15-2006, 09:59 PM
oh boy looks like that harris fellah is being left wide open for his jump shot corso