PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Second Scoring Option

Kori Ellis
10-09-2004, 04:59 PM
This is the result of the first Battle Blog in it's final form. Soucier (Brodels) won the Battle.

It is now in article form and up on WOAI's SpursZONE.com. Please PM timvp if you want to participate as a Blogger or a judge.

http://www.woai.com/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=6437FE31-BC2F-4402-842A-18DF165CEA33

Spurs Second Scoring Option
LAST UPDATE: 10/9/2004 4:53:35 PM
Posted By: Kori Ellis

http://cctvimedia.clearchannel.com/woai/manutony.jpg

This season SpursZONE.com will have a series of Point/Counterpoint articles in which two writers debate different aspects of Spurs basketball and the rest of the NBA. This week FullSportPress.com writers LJ Ellis and Andy Soucier debate who should be the Spurs' second scoring option -- Manu Ginobili or Tony Parker.

Ellis: With a gold medal, a $52 million contract and a starting spot all but guaranteed, San Antonio Spurs guard Manu Ginobili’s basketball career seems to be in full flight. As Argentina and San Antonio’s golden child, he can seemingly do no wrong.

On the other hand we have Tony Parker. Though he excelled in the playoffs until the Lakers collapsed their defense to force the Spurs to beat them from the perimeter, the 22-year-old point guard received a good portion of the blame. Fans and league pundits alike said he choked under the pressure of the playoffs. Additionally, he has started training camp with his contractual status in limbo.

As the Spurs prepare for the 2004-05 season, both Ginobili and Parker figure to be central pieces in the composition of the team and will combine to form one of the league’s most exciting backcourts. However the question remains, which one is going to be the second scorer next to Tim Duncan?

Although both players have the skill set to succeed in that capacity, I believe that defining specific roles creates chemistry and cohesion. With that said, the job of second scorer should fall to the often maligned Tony Parker. Late in games, I believe that Parker is more able to beat his man off the dribble and finish at the rim. Clearly, Ginobili is able to do much of the same as Parker could, yet it is my opinion that Parker can do so at a higher level.

Soucier: Size. Athleticism. The ability to get teammates involved. Perimeter shooting. Finishing at the rim. When it comes to being a second scorer in the NBA, teams need a proven performer who can do all these things in addition to showing up in the clutch. Manu Ginobili is the perfect second scorer for the Spurs.

Tony Parker isn't a traditional point guard, but he's still at his best when he concentrates on getting his teammates involved. He can penetrate at will and get open shots for Ginobili and others. The Spurs motion offense works best when the point gets everyone involved instead of concentrating on scoring.

Ginobili has the ability and size to finish at the rim even after being hit, an unorthodox style that leads to open shots, and a penchant for making tough baskets when they are needed most.

Most importantly, the Spurs need a second scorer capable of showing up consistently in the clutch. Manu has raised his game in the playoffs and was the best player in Athens this summer. He's a proven big-game performer. At the end of games, he has the court vision to avoid getting trapped in the lane. While Parker has a history of either playing great or underperforming in the playoffs, Manu finds ways to contribute on the offensive end every game.

Ginobili has the size, confidence, maturity and experience to become Duncan's primary sidekick. Parker is inconsistent, plays a position focused on distributing and is limited by his small frame.

Ellis: As you indicated, Parker will have the ball in his hands a lot of during games. When the contest gets tight and the possessions are limited, he’ll be asked to control the ball at an even higher rate. Thus, it makes more sense to put the onus on him to be the second scorer.

While it is true that Parker has had his moments of inconsistent play, I contend that Ginobili has gone through similar inconsistent stretches. As a matter of fact, Parker has a higher field goal percentage in the regular season and the playoffs when compared to Ginobili.

You specified that Ginobili is the big-game performer, however history says otherwise. Whether it was a last second shot against the Jazz or the Mavericks to clinch division titles or dominating playoff series against the likes of Steve Nash or Jason Williams, Parker has proven he can get it done.

Soucier: Teams rarely win championships with scoring point guards. Billups succeeded last season only after Brown convinced him that creating opportunities for others would lead to team success.

Parker can contribute by getting in the lane and passing to his teammates for open shots. Ginobili has played better when he's gotten lots of touches. The motion offense will work best when both players are involved, and using Parker as a distributor and Ginobili as a scorer takes advantage of their individual skills.

Parker was bailed out by Speedy. There was nobody to bail him out last season in the playoffs. When the Spurs need a hoop, they can depend on Manu's size, ability and free throw shooting to get it done. It's better to have a three-pronged attack. Pick Parker as the second scorer and you will make sure that Manu never reaches his potential, and that's bad for the Spurs.

timvp
10-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Nice job, Brodels. You got me pretty good on that one.

Kori Ellis
10-09-2004, 05:21 PM
Yeah it was good. timvp's downfall was taking too long in the introduction to get to his argument. Because of the word limit, you have to get to your argument quickly.

Seeing as timvp can't win the money anyway, I'm glad Brodels won. :lol

pooh
10-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Perhaps you need to work with Timvp on his writing...haha, just kidding.

Nikos
10-09-2004, 05:55 PM
Huh? I don't get this article/argument? I thought Brodels stated that Tony should be the second option?

Kori Ellis
10-09-2004, 05:57 PM
No, Brodels said Manu should be.

Nikos
10-09-2004, 05:58 PM
In the POLL it shows Brodels voting for TP though? Am I missing something? Or was he just saying that TP is the second option as of now, and basically feels Manu SHOULD be the 2nd option?

Kori Ellis
10-09-2004, 05:59 PM
The poll doesn't have anything to do with this.

This is a Battle Blog. One person states their opinion and another person comes and counters the other side of the argument.

E20
10-09-2004, 06:02 PM
Do the battle bloggers get real money?

Nikos
10-09-2004, 06:03 PM
I am just wondering how Brodels can vote for TP in the poll and argue for Manu in the BLOG.

Also how do these things get setup? Did you just conduct this today?

Kori Ellis
10-09-2004, 06:09 PM
Do you guys read? :lol

There's been an Announcement at the top of the forum explaining Battle Blogs all week. Yes, the prize is real money. Read the announcement and if you want to participate as a Blogger or a Judge, you have to PM timvp and you'll be granted access to the forums necessary.

E20
10-09-2004, 06:13 PM
I did PM him and checked in the battle blog forum but, I thought it was Vbookie cash not real. Damn You and LJ are loaded.

Nikos
10-09-2004, 06:15 PM
I thought the money was fake too :lol

Or wait, isn't it actually fake? :lol

Brodels
10-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Huh? I don't get this article/argument? I thought Brodels stated that Tony should be the second option?

In the POLL it shows Brodels voting for TP though?

;)

Brodels
10-09-2004, 10:00 PM
I actually won't have enough time to play enough to get real money, but it was fun being one of the first two participants. Shouldn't I earn another spur for being the first winner? :)

That was fun LJ. I'll accept a rematch challenge if you wish.

timvp
10-10-2004, 02:23 AM
I might have to take you up on that.

:smokin