PDA

View Full Version : It doesn't make sense

NuGGeTs-FaN
05-16-2006, 02:11 AM
i hear people blaming Stern for this and saying its a conspiracy but why would the NBA want Dallas over the Spurs?

Both play similar styles, population is close in each city, neither team has an exciting 'marketable' NBA superstar (eg LBJ, Wade, Kobe )

sure the refs are really bad in these playoffs but thats on them, i really dont think the NBA is out to get Dallas to the WCF

im in Australia so i really dont know if the NBA market is bigger in Dallas or whatever but it doesnt seem like the NBA would favour one over the other to get to the WCF

austinfan
05-16-2006, 02:13 AM
I don't have the figures right off hand for Dallas, but it's a significantly larger media market than San Antonio, which ranks something like 37th in the country. Plus, I'm not convinced that Stern wants the Mavs in the Finals. I think he'd just as soon see the Suns there, to showcase MVP Nash and the Suns' flashier, crowdpleasing game.

Winnipeg_Spur
05-16-2006, 02:13 AM
i hear people blaming Stern for this and saying its a conspiracy but why would the NBA want Dallas over the Spurs?

Both play similar styles, population is close in each city, neither team has an exciting 'marketable' NBA superstar (eg LBJ, Wade, Kobe )

sure the refs are really bad in these playoffs but thats on them, i really dont think the NBA is out to get Dallas to the WCF

im in Australia so i really dont know if the NBA market is bigger in Dallas or whatever but it doesnt seem like the NBA would favour one over the other to get to the WCF
It's not a conspiracy, but Stern has to get some of the blame for the quality of officials in his league.

ponky
05-16-2006, 02:17 AM
This is a ridiculous thread and fill of people who don't know what they're talking about. Look up the figures, by the *conspiracy* theory standards, the Knicks should meet the Lakers in the Finals. The Lakers were up 3-1, the refs should've given them just a bit of help to put them over the hump due to their profitable market.

TDMVPDPOY
05-16-2006, 02:19 AM
another yobbo from down under, fair dinkum mate, spurs< mavs media market and $$$ cuban gives nba

Slinkyman
05-16-2006, 02:25 AM
This is a ridiculous thread and fill of people who don't know what they're talking about. Look up the figures, by the *conspiracy* theory standards, the Knicks should meet the Lakers in the Finals. The Lakers were up 3-1, the refs should've given them just a bit of help to put them over the hump due to their profitable market.

trust me the refs tried to help the lakers over that hump but phx did what we need to do, take the game out of the refs hands and unleash a couple 20 point blow outs.

Winnipeg_Spur
05-16-2006, 02:28 AM
I believe there's exactly one post above you where the poster thinks there was a conspiracy. Again, there was no and there is no conspiracy. But that doesn't make the game any less of a gift to the Mavericks, and a downright theft from the Spurs. The refs didn't conspire to take the game away from the Spurs, but that's what they did. Whether that was because of fear, incompetence, or just bad eyesight, it doesn't really matter. It is what it is.

NuGGeTs-FaN
05-16-2006, 02:33 AM
its ashame that the type of ball played in different countries isnt the same. The reason being that is eliminates the option to use international refs with no reason to be bias towards homecrowds, a certain player etc,.

In rugby they use refs from countires that arent involved in that particular match being played, in the hope that there is no bias present.

The NBA is such a different type of ball to anywhere else in the world so it wouldnt be feasible for the game which is ashame

TDMVPDPOY
05-16-2006, 02:48 AM
sterns admin is like juventus admin :D hahhahaa busted for fixin bias refs into home matches to make home teams more favourable.

SenorSpur
05-16-2006, 02:49 AM
Please!

SPARKY
05-16-2006, 02:51 AM
I think it's a case of some cowardly ass suckup refs.

Borosai
05-16-2006, 02:56 AM
I don't think it's a conspiracy or Stern. It's the refs...they suck, and honestly, something should be done...if you go to work and do a shitty job, guess what happens? But nothing is happening to these pricks...suspend them, fire them, fine them, whatever...just put more pressure on them to make the right fucking call, esp. in the fucking final minutes of a fucking 4th quarter in a fucking playoff game.

Nero
05-16-2006, 03:01 AM
"im in Australia so i really dont know if the NBA market is bigger in Dallas or whatever but it doesnt seem like the NBA would favour one over the other to get to the WCF"

Why not? It's mostly about getting rid of the Spurs/Pistons matchup. I think the L always has hopes as to which teams suceed, and do a little to help or hurt their cause with the rules and officiating. But they don't do that much, because even casual fans would notice and get pissed. I don't know if the L has it out for the Spurs, but it's certainly plausible. Basketball is a really hard sport to officiate, and the vast majority of the bad calls are honest mistakes, some are star treatment and make up calls, and *maybe* there's a couple conspiratorial ones.

Actually, I'm suprised that the Spurs aren't a marketable team since they have two flashy international players. I guess I'm out of touch with the NBA's market.

At least it's not as blatant as in the NFL.

Kori Ellis
05-16-2006, 03:04 AM
I think the only poster that thinks the NBA is fixed is Flash Gordon. Other people are saying that the calls sucked, but they aren't saying the league is fixed.

efrem1
05-16-2006, 03:06 AM

Nuggets FAn

Check out www.census.gov Doing a search will show you that the DFW metro area is four times the size of SA

efrem1
05-16-2006, 03:08 AM
I think it's a case of some cowardly ass suckup refs.

The Mavs fan must be constantly reminded of Cuban's rant of the refs.

Nbadan
05-16-2006, 03:13 AM
I think the only poster that thinks the NBA is fixed is Flash Gordon. Other people are saying that the calls sucked, but they aren't saying the league is fixed.

Stern has ruined the league. I've been saying that for years. I'm not saying the league is totally fixed, but the refs are simply playing too big a role in this series for this bias to be purely random. There ought to be an investigation.

SA210
05-16-2006, 03:16 AM
Stern has ruined the league. I've been saying that for years. I'm not saying the league is totally fixed, but the refs are simply playing too big a role in this series for this bias to be purely random. There ought to be an investigation.

agreed

SA210
05-16-2006, 03:16 AM

agreed

SPARKY
05-16-2006, 03:18 AM
It's not hard to figure out. Cuban pays a shitload of $ to scrutinize refs and harangue the league about it. Cuban also hires former refs to do that. Stick, then carrot.

Athenea
05-16-2006, 10:17 AM
I didn't read the whole thread.
My theory?
It's not about getting Dallas's market but avoiding another Spurs-Pistons final.

HavefunFishing
05-16-2006, 10:22 AM
I have a question to all of you morons. If the NBA doesnt want the Spurs in the finals then why did they win a championship last year?

Idiots. Get smart. Your team is OWNED.

Trainwreck2100
05-16-2006, 10:27 AM
I have a question to all of you morons. If the NBA doesnt want the Spurs in the finals then why did they win a championship last year?

Read the forum

One guy's calling fix, everyone else is calling shit, and welcome to yet another Mav asshole

pache100
05-16-2006, 10:29 AM
I didn't read the whole thread.
My theory?
It's not about getting Dallas's market but avoiding another Spurs-Pistons final.

:tu

That's why I said earlier that it's not about the poor Mavericks at all. Luck of the draw. Bless their little pea-pickin' hearts, though, they think it's all about them.

pache100
05-16-2006, 10:30 AM

How many screen names do you have?

menono
05-16-2006, 10:46 AM
It's not hard to figure out. Cuban pays a shitload of $ to scrutinize refs and harangue the league about it. Cuban also hires former refs to do that. Stick, then carrot.

C'mon, don't you think other owners complain about the officials? Cuban is not unique in that capacity. He just happens to make his gripes public...causing every non-mav fan hate him and his team. Also, are the mavs the only team with ex-refs on their staff? Cuban's either a complete idiot, or a freakin genius for doing something other franchises haven't even thought of.
I don't know!