PDA

View Full Version : F--- small ball. F--- Poopavitch.

peskypesky
05-16-2006, 11:03 AM
Fill in the blanks with whatever letters you want. But I suggest using I,R, and E in the second set of blanks.

I promised that the Spurs would lose again if Poopavitch went with his retarded small-ball scheme in Game 4, and guess what?

I called for Poop's firing last year, and I'm calling for it again. The man has been coaching like a scared piece of cra-.

blaze89
05-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Funny coming from someone with "Believe." under his name.

mFFL03
05-16-2006, 11:06 AM
calm down. you've won 3 championships out of how many again? And it has always come down to the western conf. finals every year.

Hardly a case for you to fire a great coach.

JamStone
05-16-2006, 11:07 AM
Spurs could use an athletic combo forward like Tim Thomas or a Danny Granger type player who can play out on the perimeter as a small forward but can also play the power forward spot if the teams go to a "small ball" type of game.

orhe
05-16-2006, 11:18 AM
FUCK SMALL BALL I CAN'T BELIEVE ILL SAY THIS BUT FUCK I MISS HEDO...

we need to fucking discard the small ball... we are adjusting to their style... we need to impose our will on the boards with RASHO!!!!!!

peskypesky
05-16-2006, 11:20 AM
I do believe. I believe that you need to have a Center to win in the NBA. I'm curious as to how many Championships were won by teams without a Center. Please enlighten me.

strangeweather
05-16-2006, 11:20 AM
I called for Poop's firing last year, and I'm calling for it again. The man has been coaching like a scared piece of cra-.

Yeah, he really fucked us last year. :rolleyes

clambake
05-16-2006, 11:25 AM
FIRE POP? = Pop takes sacramento to the finals.

DDS4
05-16-2006, 11:27 AM
FUCK SMALL BALL I CAN'T BELIEVE ILL SAY THIS BUT FUCK I MISS HEDO...

SSC.

timmydidit
05-16-2006, 11:27 AM
fuk you hes a great coach

CosmicCowboy
05-16-2006, 11:28 AM
I am certainly not advocating firing Pop but I think he has outcoached himself this series. Spurs have a defensive philosophy that has been very effective and has worked pretty well for years and for 80+ games this season. Pop abandoned this basic defensive philosophy to "match up" with Averys Mavs. It's not working. Players haven't practiced it, they haven't executed it, and they are making these Mavs role players look like superstars because they are getting too many wide open shots and penetrations on missed/slow rotations. This Mavs team is not as good as the last three games would suggest, but I don't think Spurs can win three straight playing smallball.

peskypesky
05-16-2006, 11:32 AM
The Spurs won last year in spite of Poop's bad coaching. And they barely won.

strangeweather
05-16-2006, 11:39 AM

So what are you saying? That we should put an asterisk by the title? :madrun

blaze89
05-16-2006, 11:42 AM

That record's been playing for years....The Spurs win in spite of Pop.

As far as a center, quality centers are not easily found anymore.

CosmicCowboy
05-16-2006, 11:46 AM
That record's been playing for years....The Spurs win in spite of Pop.

As far as a center, quality centers are not easily found anymore.

Are you saying Diop and Dampier are "quality" centers?

peskypesky
05-16-2006, 11:57 AM
Go back and check out the box scores from the season series against the Mavs. You'll notice that in the 2 victories, Rasho and Nazr combined for 42 and 38 minutes. In the two losses, they combined for 22 and 20 minutes.

You Poopavitch supporters must explain to me how these stats could lead anyone with their head not up their a-- to conclude that small-ball is what we need to play against the Mavs.

Gummi
05-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Some people "peskypesky" don't know shit about basketball. Period. No need to discuss this topic even.

peskypesky
05-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Some people "peskypesky" don't know shit about basketball. Period. No need to discuss this topic even.

Got some stats (or anything at all) to back up your trash-talking, bitch?

blaze89
05-16-2006, 12:25 PM
Go back and check out the box scores from the season series against the Mavs. You'll notice that in the 2 victories, Rasho and Nazr combined for 42 and 38 minutes. In the two losses, they combined for 22 and 20 minutes.

You Poopavitch supporters must explain to me how these stats could lead anyone with their head not up their a-- to conclude that small-ball is what we need to play against the Mavs.

So who are Nazr and Rasho going to guard? You want to put Duncan on Nowitzki?

As far as quality centers, I never said Diop and Dampier are not quality, I just said they are not easily found as some may believe - as if they (centers) will fall out of the sky.

MrChug
05-16-2006, 12:26 PM
I'm inclined to agree. When Pop came out with the starting lineup he did, I sunk my head. :depressed It's like WHY all of a sudden are we succumbing to THEIR style. A champion ALWAYS makes the opponent play our style. Sad, real sad. If Tony doesn't get hot that 1st quarter...we get blown out. Truth. :oops

blaze89
05-16-2006, 12:31 PM
Pop lovers need to stop playing the game on paper and stop worrying about 'matchups' when you realize that, without Rasho/Nazr, the Spurs have been playing absolutely no defense at all

I'm not playing the game on paper, I'm just asking those, who keep offering suggestions, who are our centers going to guard. It's obvious that Rasho and Nazr are not known as quick-footed or athletic.

peskypesky
05-16-2006, 12:36 PM
I guess the people who are so concerned about matchups have no problem with the fact that we had Finley and Parker guarding Dirk for much of the game last night. What a joke.

strangeweather
05-16-2006, 12:37 PM
I'm not playing the game on paper, I'm just asking those, who keep offering suggestions, who are our centers going to guard. It's obvious that Rasho and Nazr are not known as quick-footed or athletic.

Put them on the Dallas centers.

Put Duncan on Howard, but play off him to be able to provide help in the lane.

blaze89
05-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Put them on the Dallas centers.

Put Duncan on Howard, but play off him to be able to provide help in the lane.

So who guards Nowitzki? Bowen keeps getting called for fouls. We've seen phantom calls on Duncan when he's guarding Nowitzki.

strangeweather
05-16-2006, 12:51 PM
So who guards Nowitzki? Bowen keeps getting called for fouls. We've seen phantom calls on Duncan when he's guarding Nowitzki.

That's why we put Tim on Howard, not Dirk.

On Dirk: Bowen, Horry, Oberto, Finley. In that order, if there are foul problems.

manuginobili20
05-16-2006, 12:55 PM
last year we let amare stoudemire go off for 40 a game and still managed to win the series rather easily, so i would say put nazr/rasho in the game more and let nowitzki go off but stop penetration to the basket by the guards

kg_veteran
05-16-2006, 12:57 PM
The Spurs have two basic problems on defense.

First, Duncan can't guard either of the Dallas forwards, so he has to guard a center. The Spurs have tried putting Duncan on Howard in the past. He erupted for about 20 points in a half (see the April 7 matchup). Pop doesn't want a repeat of that, so he has religiously avoided putting Duncan back on Howard. I can't say that I blame him.

Second, the Spurs don't have enough good perimeter defenders. In fact, they really only have one. And he's busy trying to shut down one of the Dallas forwards. Ginobili is good at digging out steals and getting into the passing lanes, but he doesn't have the quickness to stay in front of either Harris or Terry. Parker has plenty of quickness, but he hasn't shown the ability to stay in front of Harris, either.

As a Mavs fan, I understand the frustration of not wanting to "match up" with the other team, because we did that for years under Nelson. IMO, though, if you left a center in the game in this situation, it would just be trading one set of matchup problems for another.

(NOTE: I'm not saying the Mavs can stop the Spurs. Obviously, they have no one who can stop Duncan, just two centers who can work hard and make him earn his points. They also have had difficulty with Parker and Ginobili, respectively, at varying points in this series because of their ability to go to the basket.)

beirmeistr
05-16-2006, 12:59 PM
last year we let amare stoudemire go off for 40 a game and still managed to win the series rather easily, so i would say put nazr/rasho in the game more and let nowitzki go off but stop penetration to the basket by the guards
Bingo!!! You are right on.
End the small ball. Enough of the Spurlings. Let us have the Spurs!

strangeweather
05-16-2006, 01:02 PM
First, Duncan can't guard either of the Dallas forwards, so he has to guard a center. The Spurs have tried putting Duncan on Howard in the past. He erupted for about 20 points in a half (see the April 7 matchup). Pop doesn't want a repeat of that, so he has religiously avoided putting Duncan back on Howard. I can't say that I blame him.

Duncan on Howard is no panacea. And if Howard beats us, so be it.

But I want to see our real lineup in there, fighting and playing defense with the series on the line. Trying to beat the Mavs' at their own game just hasn't worked.

baseline bum
05-16-2006, 01:04 PM
The Spurs badly need a center. Mohammed is doing his best Van-Exel impersonation this season.

kg_veteran
05-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Duncan on Howard is no panacea. And if Howard beats us, so be it.

But I want to see our real lineup in there, fighting and playing defense with the series on the line. Trying to beat the Mavs' at their own game just hasn't worked.

It's a very difficult spot for Popovich to be in, but I see your point. The Mavs have been able to stick with their basic philosophy on both ends, while the Spurs are having to change theirs to match the personnel they are putting on the floor.

CubanMustGo
05-16-2006, 01:48 PM
One thing to remember is how many injuries the Mavs had in the regular season. Everyone is healthy now and it is causing matchup problems. That is prolly one reason why Pop isn't playing Rasho/Nazr.

Our only hope is that KVH makes an appearance in each of the remaining games and plays his usual game.

Busta Cap
05-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Our only hope is that KVH makes an appearance in each of the remaining games and plays his usual game.

:lol :lol Like myself, I think most Mav fans could do without seeing KVH the remainder of this series.

Nbadan
05-16-2006, 02:13 PM
The Spurs had the chance to win the game and Tim missed the shot, if they had gone big with Rasho or Nazr it would have been a blow-out for Dallas.

EVAY
05-16-2006, 02:14 PM

I think this is a great sugestion. Rasho could guard Diop or Dampier, and he does two other things well, too ( at sometimes) ...he is the best "pulling guard" ( to borrow a football term) for Tony and Manu. They, especially Tony, tuck up behind him and then follow him right to the basket and a layup. They did all the time when Rasho was in the lineup. The other thing he does is block shots. Tim is getting fouls called him because he's trying to do it all, guard on the perimeter at times, block shots at times, and set picks the rest of the time, when he's not trying to score himself. Pop may be a good coach a lot of the time...but man, he is really getting shown up in this series.

FromWayDowntown
05-16-2006, 02:58 PM
The Spurs had the chance to win the game and Tim missed the shot, if they had gone big with Rasho or Nazr it would have been a blow-out for Dallas.

I'm not sure, in that end-game, why Duncan went middle when he had been absolutely abusing Dampier on the baseline. Given the call that had just occurred on the other end, I'd have thought it a safe bet that a good hard drive by Tim would get him a shot at the rim from a comfortable spot and might have even given him a chance to go to the line. He went middle, ala the closing seconds of Game 5 in 2004 against LA, only this time, he couldn't get the roll. I can't fault Duncan for making that decision, but I wonder if he wishes he had that one over.

On another note, I don't think the decision to not put Duncan on Dirk for long stretches has anything to do with Tim being incapable of defending Dirk. I think it has more to do with further exposing the absence of a 2nd big on the floor and deciding that it's not worth risking foul trouble. In overtime, Pop put Duncan on Dirk and Tim played him well. Tim is certainly capable of defending a player like Nowitzki for extended stretches, but in the context of this series and the other decisions that Popovich has made, I think doing so would be a horrendous misallocation of an extremely limited resource.

blaze89
05-16-2006, 05:34 PM

That happened cause the Spurs were able to shut down or slow down Richardson and Marion. For the Mavs, it's Terry, Harris, Stoudemire to go along with Howard and Nowitzki.

blaze89
05-16-2006, 05:38 PM
That's why we put Tim on Howard, not Dirk.

On Dirk: Bowen, Horry, Oberto, Finley. In that order, if there are foul problems.

Bowen most likely will get into foul trouble, Horry is too slow and unless you really want to go further down the bench, Nowitzki will be have 40 FT attempts by halftime.

You make it sound as if we are getting blown out by 15 or 20, with the exception of game 2, these games have gone down to the wire. The speed of the Mavericks and the lack of an athletic big man is hurting the Spurs. Don't forget that the Mavericks are making anything they just throw up in the air.

strangeweather
05-16-2006, 05:46 PM
Bowen most likely will get into foul trouble, Horry is too slow and unless you really want to go further down the bench, Nowitzki will be have 40 FT attempts by halftime.

You make it sound as if we are getting blown out by 15 or 20, with the exception of game 2, these games have gone down to the wire. The speed of the Mavericks and the lack of an athletic big man is hurting the Spurs. Don't forget that the Mavericks are making anything they just throw up in the air.

So no one can hope to cover Nowitski, but the Spurs are playing them pretty even? I'm not sure I get your point.

spur4life
05-16-2006, 11:39 PM
I guess the people who are so concerned about matchups have no problem with the fact that we had Finley and Parker guarding Dirk for much of the game last night. What a joke.

nothing is funnier than seen parker & finley guarding nowitzki...very silly!! :drunk

spur4life
05-16-2006, 11:42 PM
it seems to me the front office & pop have their shortcomings...they ought to have forseen these potential matchup problems before the beginning of the season/ during the midseason & should have gotten players that match up.....especially since we played dallas in 2003 west finals....