PDA

View Full Version : Are the Spurs

greensborohill
05-16-2006, 11:57 AM
Are the Spurs now just a regular season team?

All they do is play perimeter offense during the regular season to pile up meaningless wins and just fade in the playoffs when it comes down to defense, rebounding, and inside play.

Spurs = regular season team.

Trainwreck2100
05-16-2006, 12:00 PM

All they do is play perimeter offense during the regular season to pile up meaningless wins and just fade in the playoffs when it comes down to defense, rebounding, and inside play.

:lol :lol
I get it, cause you see guys all these years people have called the Dallas mavericks a regular season team (which they were) so this guy's doing the same thing just to be a jerk. Also regular season teams don't win championships, which they did, and you need more than one failed season to call them a regular season team.

pache100
05-16-2006, 12:01 PM
:lol :lol
I get it, cause you see guys all these years people have called the Dallas mavericks a regular season team (which they were) so this guy's doing the same thing just to be a jerk. Also regular season teams don't win championships, which they did, and you need more than one failed season to call them a regular season team.

We got three Larry O'Briens in our cupboard. How many does dallas have? That is what distinguishes the Champions and the "regular season teams".

They can get back to us when they have ONE...let alone THREE.

FromWayDowntown
05-16-2006, 12:04 PM

I don't think this thing is over, and I think you're hoping that you're right.

Frankly, even if the Spurs don't take this thing, I think it's an anomalous season for the Spurs, in many ways. I think the Spurs team as it stands is well-constructed to deal with teams like Detroit in a playoff setting, but not with teams that play with more finesse or athleticism. There were some personnel changes across the West that created some matchup problems that the Spurs weren't able to address during the season. Would an acquisition of J.R. Smith have provided enough athleticism on the perimeter to allow these series to be played at more of a traditional Spurs playoff pace? I don't know.

I do think, though, that the Spurs will have some questions to answer in the off-season, regardless of the outcome of this postseason. Those questions start with finding something that works inside other than Tim Duncan (who, obviously, can still play at an MVP+ level) and finding the long wing player that everyone around here has been screaming for.

FromWayDowntown
05-16-2006, 12:06 PM
It's not as if the Spurs are getting run out of the building by the Mavericks or steamrolled in this series. But you couldn't tell that from the giddiness of Mavs' fans.

In essence, I think the series to date comes down to who gets the rebounds on two missed Mavericks' shots.

peskypesky
05-16-2006, 12:09 PM
It's not as if the Spurs are getting run out of the building by the Mavericks or steamrolled in this series. But you couldn't tell that from the giddiness of Mavs' fans.

In essence, I think the series to date comes down to who gets the rebounds on two missed Mavericks' shots.

Exactly. Some of us who don't know anything about basketball know that rebounds are crucial, which is why most, if not all, teams play with a Center. 7-footers just have a knack of rebounding better than 6'7' guards. but don't tell that to Poopavitch and his brain-dead supporters.

austinfan
05-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Summer to-do list (regardless of playoff outcome):

1. Find a center who knows how to rebound and, you know, do it consistently over the course of a season. Offensive rebounding was by far our number one problem this year.

2. Let some of the older guys who are not Bruce Bowen go. We need younger legs to help out the atrocious back-to-back numbers, to provide a spark off the bench and to tide us over a long, physical playoff series.

3. Hire a trainer/physical therapist/nutrition guru just for Manu. I posted this before, only half-jokingly. Manu works his body extra hard; he needs to take care extra special care of it. Whatever regimen he's currently following isn't getting the job done.

SenorSpur
05-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Summer to-do list (regardless of playoff outcome):

1. Find a center who knows how to rebound and, you know, do it consistently over the course of a season. Offensive rebounding was by far our number one problem this year.

2. Let some of the older guys who are not Bruce Bowen go. We need younger legs to help out the atrocious back-to-back numbers, to provide a spark off the bench and to tide us over a long, physical playoff series.

3. Hire a trainer/physical therapist/nutrition guru just for Manu. I posted this before, only half-jokingly. Manu works his body extra hard; he needs to take care extra special care of it. Whatever regimen he's currently following isn't getting the job done.

Maybe we should coax Manu not to play international ball.