PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Pistons Fans

Trainwreck2100
05-16-2006, 12:34 PM
What do you think of the Dal/SA series, you're impartial 3rd parties after all.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
05-16-2006, 01:01 PM
I assume you are talking about the officiating. SA has been on the short end of the stick in that regard, as well as hustle, desire and overall play...

JamStone
05-16-2006, 01:01 PM
Dallas has more offensive firepower, with the emergence of Devin Harris, Jerry Stackhouse's surprisingly consistent play, and the fact that Manu is still relatively limited, though he played great last night when he was actually in the game.

The Spurs still have the better defense, but it has yet to really take over in this series.

Overall, the Spurs are the better team.

But, right now the Mavericks are playing better.

Yes, the officiating has been tough on the Spurs, but just like the Pistons, I expect the Spurs to overcome bad officiating and not use it as an excuse.

I still don't count out the Spurs yet, but it's not looking good right now.

1Parker1
05-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Well, who asked you losers anyways? :angel :lol

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
05-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Well, who asked you losers anyways? :angel :lol

Kobe ?

Darrin
05-16-2006, 01:19 PM
We're not that impartial. But knowing the forces of being the defending NBA Champs and having a hungry team put a bullseye on the Champs' back, I'm not all that suprised with the result. The Mavericks have a sense of urgency because they know this is the year - if it's not this year, then they will never beat the Spurs.

They've been built to beat San Antonio. They went from wanting to be a fun-and-gun team that was going to make Shaq run on the break to one looking for committed two-way players like Josh Howard and Jerry Stackhouse. They have a former Spurs' player coaching their team. They replaced Raef LaFrentz with Erick Dampier, and tried to get not only Shaq, but Alonzo Mourning as well. They replaced Shawn Bradley with Desagana Diop. Steve Nash, who was probably their worst defender on that '03 team, with Jason Terry.

In the words of Steve Kerr: "If you squint your eyes you think Devin Harris is Tony Parker." That's not a coincidence. While you've been laughing at the Mavs they have learning their lessons. They aren't the Spurs, but they are trying to emulate enough of the Spurs' philosophy to beat them.

I knew this series wouldn't be a blowout in favor of the Spurs because they don't take the Mavs as seriously as the Mavs take the Spurs. It's the nature of these kind of rivalries.

Do I think the Spurs can come back? Yes.

But to be honest, I think it would benefit the Spurs more if they were knocked out early. Much like losing to the Spurs and almost losing to the Heat did for the Pistons, it would give them a mantra heading into next season. I'm sure some house cleaning would not only be easier to justify, but necessary. There may be the temptation for the Spurs to keep things as is, and that would be a mistake heading into next season.

Vizzini
05-16-2006, 01:44 PM
The Spurs are in trouble right now, but they definetly are not out of it. I do not trust the Mavs in the playoffs, and will not until they prove themselves in the playoffs. If they do end up beating the Spurs, I will withhold judgement until after the WCF are over, for the simple fact that the Mavs seem like the team that would win a big series, and then fold like Superman on laundry day in the next series. I am rooting for the Spurs in this series for three reasons: 1. I like the Spurs more than I like the Mavs 2. I want the Pistons to get a rematch in the Finals against the Spurs 3. The Spurs are a known entity for the Pistons, the Mavs are not, so if the Pistons make the Finals, I would rather have them play the team they know, rather than the team that is still a mystery. This series is not over, and the remaining mystery is how the Spurs are going to hanlde game six back in Dallas. If by chance the Mavs win game five, then they become the odds on favorites for the title right now in my book. But I am not going to bet on it right now.

bdubya
05-16-2006, 01:50 PM
In brief: refs are lousy, Mavs are impressing me, Spurs can still take this one (but it won't be easy), Cuban needs his fingers stapled to his lips so he can't talk or blog, and what really sucks is whoever wins this one is going to stroll through the WCFs while we're going 6 or 7 with the Heat.

DarkReign
05-16-2006, 01:59 PM
First, these late games are killing me at work.

Bottom line.

Pop is being outcoached, Spurs are being outplayed.

Tony Parker is making Devin Harris look like AI. Another chink in TP's unbreakable armor. Not only does he not distribute the ball to my liking, he cant play defense on his postion for shit. Devin Harris is a kid who sees weakness in TP. TP is fast, Harris is faster.

TD owns. Absolutely owns. He is getting jobbed by the refs, IMO. Who is the superstar in this series? Must be Dirk I guess with all his empty fingers...

Bowen is also awesome. He is playing great ball but I think he could contribute some more offensively. Just my opinion.

Manu, Manu, Manu...where art thou? Thank you for finally showing up in this series, albeit 4 fucking games into it. I am sick and tired of hearing how great he is. Its almost embarassing to think he was the sole reason SA beat Detroit in game 7. After that series, I thought this guy was on his way to stardom. Well deserved, reckless stardom. Where is the fire? The hustle? Where is Manu?

Centers = none. Pop doesnt play centers I guess.

Bench has been horrible except Barry. Eerily similar to Detroit's bench, they have been non-existent. Jacking up horrible shots, running the shot clock down to nil, etc.

All the while, after all of this...the fucking Mavs are rolling! The are faster, younger, stronger and (*gulp*) hungrier.

I dont know Spurs fans. I think you win game 5, no doubt. But game 6...I dont think the chances are good. BUT!

If you do win game 6, this series is over. No way you lose game 7 on your floor.

leemajors
05-16-2006, 02:11 PM
i think the pistons have a little more youth, athleticism, and length on the defensive end, and the mavs would give them less trouble than they are currently giving the spurs. it also helps they have a second pg to come in and play good defense. i am interested to see the WCF if the mavs and clips advance. i think livingston could give harris all he could handle on both ends with the way he has been playing, but dallas may just revert to starting griffin.

Darrin
05-16-2006, 02:27 PM
i think the pistons have a little more youth, athleticism, and length on the defensive end, and the mavs would give them less trouble than they are currently giving the spurs. it also helps they have a second pg to come in and play good defense. i am interested to see the WCF if the mavs and clips advance. i think livingston could give harris all he could handle on both ends with the way he has been playing, but dallas may just revert to starting griffin.

Pistons 82, Mavericks 119.
Points in the paint: +26 for Mavs (58-32).
Biggest lead: +37 for Mavs.
Rebounds: +21 for Mavs (47-26).
Outscored 40-16 in first quarter.
Allowed Mavs to shoot 59.2% from the field.

Howard - 26 points, 8 rebounds, 2 steals, and 1 block.
Nowitzki - 23 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists, and 1 block.
Dampier - 16 points, 14 rebounds, and 2 blocks.
Daniels - 15 points, 6 assists, 2 rebounds, and 1 steal.
Harris - 14 points, 3 rebounds, and 3 assists.
Terry - 12 points, 3 assists, 2 rebounds, and 1 steal.
Diop - 2 points 6 rebounds, and 3 blocks.

Look familar?

The Pistons won the next matchup, and this was a back-to-back night after a physical win over Houston, but this was, by far, the worst loss of the season. I'd be less concerned if the Pistons had shown the ability to bring down the shooting percentage of opponents and out-rebound teams once the postseason started.

FreshPrince22
05-16-2006, 02:30 PM
i think the pistons have a little more youth, athleticism, and length on the defensive end, and the mavs would give them less trouble than they are currently giving the spurs. it also helps they have a second pg to come in and play good defense.

That's if we make it past the freaking Cavs

:madrun :cuss :frying: :soapbox: :td :makemyday :flipoff :jack :bang :hang :pctoss

And yes, I'm not at all concerned about the finals at this moment. Clearly the Pistons are gonna dogfight their way through the playoffs and hope they squeek a few series' out.

As for the Mavs/Spurs... The biggest thing I noticed is the lack of the Spurs D and defensive rebounding. Their D seemed much tougher to solve last year. The Mavs have so many good one-on-one players that it really makes them a tough matchup. Harris, Terry, Stack, Dirk, Howard, Daniels, etc. And now they've got guys like Diop, Dampier, and Griffin attacking the glass and defending.

They have obviously been the best team in the playoffs thusfar even with some questionable homer refs in Dallas.

ABDENOUR POWER
05-16-2006, 02:30 PM
My un-biased analysis:

Mavs have great offense.

Spurs going small is taking away from their great defense.

Refs are giving the Spurs a tough whistle.

If SA (mostly Manu and Horry) would play like they did in the Finals last year they'd be up in this series.

Game 5 is a lock for the Spurs.

If Dallas wins the series it will be in 6. No way can they win a game 7 in SA.

leemajors
05-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Pistons 82, Mavericks 119.
Points in the paint: +26 for Mavs (58-32).
Biggest lead: +37 for Mavs.
Rebounds: +21 for Mavs (47-26).
Outscored 40-16 in first quarter.
Allowed Mavs to shoot 59.2% from the field.

Howard - 26 points, 8 rebounds, 2 steals, and 1 block.
Nowitzki - 23 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists, and 1 block.
Dampier - 16 points, 14 rebounds, and 2 blocks.
Daniels - 15 points, 6 assists, 2 rebounds, and 1 steal.
Harris - 14 points, 3 rebounds, and 3 assists.
Terry - 12 points, 3 assists, 2 rebounds, and 1 steal.
Diop - 2 points 6 rebounds, and 3 blocks.

Look familar?

The Pistons won the next matchup, and this was a back-to-back night after a physical win over Houston, but this was, by far, the worst loss of the season. I'd be less concerned if the Pistons had shown the ability to bring down the shooting percentage of opponents and out-rebound teams once the postseason started.

i considered that game an anomaly. if the spurs had a serviceable backup pg i think we would be in less trouble. i think hunter could rattle terry and/or harris a little better than beno/van exel could, which would be key to slowing the mavs.

Darrin
05-16-2006, 04:16 PM
i considered that game an anomaly. if the spurs had a serviceable backup pg i think we would be in less trouble. i think hunter could rattle terry and/or harris a little better than beno/van exel could, which would be key to slowing the mavs.

So did I, but if you've been able to watch the Pistons on the road in these playoffs, that looks less and less like an anomaly. They had that 124-104 debacle (most points given up in the playoffs since 1991), surrendered a 10-point 2nd-half lead to the Cavs, and couldn't score for 9 minutes in last night's game. Imagine if they do that to the Mavs? Another 40-16 quarter is in their future.

I love the Pistons, and this season will be a failure without a Championship. However, the Mavericks pose some unique problems that the Spurs do not. It wouldn't be a slam-dunk most people around here might think. And that's if they can get past Miami/New Jersey.

Assessing this potential matchup in the Finals this afternoon is probably a bad idea. Rasheed and Rip have rolled ankles, McDyess banged his "shin" into Lebon's knee, and they are playing terribly on the road (1-3, giving up 53% from the field, allowing 93.7 PPG). The moxy of a GuaranSheed has worn off.

I'm just as distraught as the Spurs fans are. Not because of the Cavaliers, but if this is the team that's "on a mission," they aren't going to win jack. They are playing their competition, not themselves. They need two big games in 5 and 6, or I will remained more than a little worried about their chances.

leemajors
05-16-2006, 04:54 PM
these playoffs have been more up and down than any in recent memory. i would not be surprised whatever happens.

Darrin
05-16-2006, 09:07 PM
these playoffs have been more up and down than any in recent memory. i would not be surprised whatever happens.

Last year for the Pistons they were pretty up and down. I felt my like my chain was constantly being yanked. 1-0 domination of Indiana. Give up huge lead from first half of game 2, lose homecourt in seond-half. Lose game 3, win game 4 to tie the series, blow out the Pacers in game 5, and see Reggie Miller put on a vintage performance on the last night of his career; Pistons win anyway.

Pistons go nuclear on the Heat in the fourth quarter of game one, take a 1-0 lead. Lose game 2, give back homecourt in game 3, win game four in their place, lose game 5 after being up by 10+, win game 6 by dominating the team, lose all of the 2nd half of game seven, except the last 4 minutes.

Close game one against San Antonio until the fourth quarter when Ginobili goes nuts. Game 2 they play a great in the 1st quarter, and suck the rest of the game. Game 3 they win convincingly. Game 4 is perhaps the best game of the entire playoffs. Game 5 goes from "3-2 series lead" to "Game six is an elimation game" on one shot in overtime. Given up for dead, the heartattack heroes gut out one more win. It looks like the Pistons might...just...pull...it...naw, San Antonio is the Champion.

I needed TUMS after that postseason. It's why I'm not on the roller coaster this season. No other postseason has ever done that to me - feel like a full season of 24. But the NBA series appear to have been built to eliminate the impression that 1-0 means anything, 2-0 mean anything, and 3-1 mean anything. Up until the last 3 years, taking those leads meant a significant increase in the ability to win a playoff series.

Dunc
05-16-2006, 11:07 PM
I needed TUMS after that postseason. It's why I'm not on the roller coaster this season. No other postseason has ever done that to me - feel like a full season of 24.

Agreed. The Pistons seem not to want to do anything the easy way. We've seen this movie too many times to get too worked up about it. That's probably the way they look at it too, which may explain the utter lack of urgency they've displayed lately.

SA210
05-16-2006, 11:24 PM
My un-biased analysis:

Mavs have great offense.

Spurs going small is taking away from their great defense.

Refs are giving the Spurs a tough whistle.

If SA (mostly Manu and Horry) would play like they did in the Finals last year they'd be up in this series.

Game 5 is a lock for the Spurs.

If Dallas wins the series it will be in 6. No way can they win a game 7 in SA.
I agree completely.

Darrin
05-16-2006, 11:53 PM
Agreed. The Pistons seem not to want to do anything the easy way. We've seen this movie too many times to get too worked up about it. That's probably the way they look at it too, which may explain the utter lack of urgency they've displayed lately.

The only situation in seven-game series they have not faced is sweeping an opponent.

Down 1-0 without homecourt ('04 vs. Pacers, '05 vs. Spurs)
Down 1-0 with homecourt ('03 vs Nets)
Tied 1-1 with homecourt ('02 vs. Celtics, '03 vs. Magic, '04 vs. Bucks, '05 vs. Pacers)
Tied 1-1 without homecourt ('04 vs. Pacers, '04 vs. Lakers, '05 vs. Heat).
Down 2-0 with homecourt ('03 vs. Nets)
Down 2-0 without homecourt ('05 vs. Spurs).
Up 2-0 with homecourt ('02 vs. Raptors, '03 vs. Sixers, '04 vs. Nets, '05 vs. Sixers, '06 vs. Bucks, '06 vs. Cavs).
Up 2-1 with homecourt ('02 vs. Raptors, '03 vs. Sixers, '04 vs. Bucks, '04 vs. Nets, '05 vs. Sixers, '06 vs. Bucks, '06 vs. Cavs).
Up 2-1 without homecourt ('04 vs. Pacers, '04 vs. Lakers).
Down 3-0 with homecourt ('03 vs. Nets).
Swept 4-0 with homecourt ('03 vs. Nets).
Down 3-1 with homecourt ('03 vs. Orlando).
Up 3-1 with homecourt ('04 vs. Bucks, '05 vs. Sixers, '06 vs. Bucks).
Tied 2-2 with homecourt ('02 vs. Raptors, '03 vs. Sixers, '04 vs. Nets, '05 vs. Pacers, '06 vs. Cavs).
Tied 2-2 without homecourt ('04 vs. Pacers, '05 vs. Heat, '05 vs. Spurs).
Down 3-2 going on the road ('03 vs. Magic, '04 vs. Nets, '05 vs. Spurs, '06 vs. Cavs)
Up 3-2 going on the road ('03 vs. Sixers).
Up 3-2 heading to the Palace ('04 vs. Pacers).
Down 3-2 heading to the Palace ('05 vs. Heat).
Won 3-2 at home ('02 vs. Raptors)
Lost 4-1 at home ('02 vs. Celtics)
Won 4-1 at home ('04 vs. Bucks, '04 vs. Lakers, '05 vs. Sixers, '06 vs. Bucks).
Tied 3-3 heading to Detroit ('03 vs. Magic, '04 vs. Nets)
Tied 3-3 heading on the road ('05 vs. Heat, '05 vs. Spurs).
Won 4-2 on road ('03 vs. Sixers, '05 vs. Pacers)
Won 4-2 at home ('04 vs. Pacers)
Won 4-3 at home ('03 vs. Magic, '04 vs. Nets).
Won 4-3 on road ('05 vs. Heat)
Lost 4-3 on road ('05 vs. Spurs).

Down 3-0 without homecourt.
Up 3-0 with homecourt
Win 4-0 with homecourt
Win 4-0 without homecourt.
Lost 4-2 at home
Lost 4-3 on road
Lost 3-2 at home
Won 3-2 on road.

- If I missed something, I'll correct it. I did that by memory.

jochhejaam
05-17-2006, 06:28 AM
Dallas is a very good team that been bailed out (unintentionally but that doesn't make it any better) by the refs in at least one game. Series should be tied 2-2.

If I were a Spurs fan knowing that there is a possibility of 2 more home games I'd definitely be guardedly optomistic.

Roscoe and the Body
05-17-2006, 04:21 PM
I'm really impressed with the Mavs, it seems like this could be their year. They've really bought into L'il General's system and are giving 100% effort and putting their bodies on the line for the cause. They sorta remind me of the Pistons of 2004 - they just seem to want it more than anybody else. That's not a knock on the Spurs, because they're putting up a helluva battle, it's just really hard to win back-to-back championships.