PDA

View Full Version : Is small ball...

Tek_XX
05-16-2006, 01:37 PM
working? We've lost three in a row. Would we have lost those with some big men?

Kori Ellis
05-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Works on offense. Doesn't work on D.

Tek_XX
05-16-2006, 01:42 PM

Yep, i'm tired of seeing our guys struggling for rebounds over taller Mavs.

T Park
05-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Bring in Mohammed, he will turn the ball over and continue the bad D.

Bring in Rasho, the D improves, but not the rebounding, and the offense gets worse.

Forced to play small ball.

strangeweather

Only one way to find out in Game 5.

mavsfan1000
Dirk Nowitzki by himself made the spurs change their lineup just like Tony Parker did to the mavs. Small ball is something the spurs have to do and it is their best chance of winning.

Kori Ellis
05-16-2006, 01:44 PM

Bring in Rasho, the D improves, but not the rebounding, and the offense gets worse.

During the season, Nazr/Rasho combined for 40+mpg in the 2 wins over the Mavs.

strangeweather
05-16-2006, 01:44 PM

If it's not working, why are we forced to do it?

SA210
05-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Great point :tu

Tek_XX
05-16-2006, 01:46 PM
We should definilty use Rasho more, it's not like Horry is lighting it up or anything.

Extra Stout
If the Spurs don't go small-ball, then Duncan has to guard Nowitzki, plays only 25 minutes due to foul trouble, and the Spurs lose 111-91 in regulation rather than 123-118 in OT.

Even if the Spurs did play another big, Rasho doesn't solve the rebounding problem, Nazr is an instant 10-2 Dallas run every time he enters the game, and Oberto is a scrub.

I guess Rasho at least could help close down the lane.

MannyIsGod
I hope Rasho sees the floor next game. I can deal with him guarding somenoe and possibly getting burnt. Everyone else has given up points, whats the damn difference really?

sa_butta
05-16-2006, 01:48 PM
I think they should at least try it, with small ball the Mavs get to 100 points fairly easily. W/O I think we can hold them below and have a better chance of winning.

Extra Stout
05-16-2006, 01:48 PM
I hope Rasho sees the floor next game. I can deal with him guarding somenoe and possibly getting burnt. Everyone else has given up points, whats the damn difference really?
True... if the Spurs are going to allow 50% shooting with a dozen offensive rebounds and at least 30 free throws with small ball, how much worse could the defense be?

Tek_XX
05-16-2006, 01:49 PM

YOu hit the nail on the head. Why not use Rasho, it's not like our plan is working anyway, we've lost three games in a row.

sa_butta

Forced to play small ball.Which is exactly what kept us winning in the past.

strangeweather
If the Spurs don't go small-ball, then Duncan has to guard Nowitzki, plays only 25 minutes due to foul trouble, and the Spurs lose 111-91 in regulation rather than 123-118 in OT.

Put Duncan on Howard.

Extra Stout
05-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Put Duncan on Howard.

That could work.

Kori Ellis
In the regular season, Howard went for 20 on Duncan in just one half. (Then Pop switched Bowen on him).

mavsfan1000
Rasho is only good on defense in the half court. The mavs have too much foot speed and Rasho would find it hard to keep up. On offense the mavs would finally be able to double team Duncan and force Rasho to hit jumpers. Duncan would have to guard Josh Howard or Dirk Nowitzki also. Like I said before the series the spurs don't matchup well to the mavs. This series it got exploited.

SLOVENIAN 8
05-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Rasho shoud be used 3 games before. Now is too late. It could work but...
I think that Pop will play small ball in game 5 ... so it will be hard, hard,hard.......

Extra Stout
05-16-2006, 01:55 PM
In the regular season, Howard went for 20 on Duncan in just one half. (Then Pop switched Bowen on him).
Then did Duncan guard Nowitzki?

strangeweather
05-16-2006, 01:55 PM

I know. And Howard might beat us.

But we can't leave Tim on Dirk the whole game, or he'll be on the bench with fouls. So for at least a good chunk of time, I think we're going to have to take our chances with Howard.

Do you think Tim covering Dirk all game long is realistic?

1Parker1
05-16-2006, 01:57 PM

What I don't get is, Pop addressed this issue just a few days ago, before the game. He said, and I quote, "If teams score 100+ points on us, more than likely we are going to lose that game. That's been our MO for years." Pop knows that defense has been our biggest problem, not offense. Yet, he continued to play small ball in Game 4...even worse he put out Tim Duncan and 4 guards in his starting lineup. How does he expect to address defense with that?

Tim, Tony, and Manu combined to score 90 points all by themselves last night. If Pop had inserted, Rasho/Oberto/even Nazr for a few rebounds/defense guarding the paint against Devin Harris drives, that could have made a huge difference. And as you've pointed out, in the two regular season wins against Dallas, Rasho/Nazr combined for 40 minutes.

Now, I think it's too late for Pop to insert Nazr/Rasho. After being practically inactive for this series, they're going to be rusty, and it's going to be a huge adjustment for the rest of the Spurs. Irregular minutes, constant/different substitutions I think have contributed greatly to the Spurs inconsistencies on defense this series.

ducks
05-16-2006, 01:58 PM
did not spurs outrebound mavs last night

RON ARTEST
05-16-2006, 02:00 PM
regular season.

ballhog
05-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Put those big boys in there---when Harris or Terry drives to the hole...knock 'em into the front row. Used to work on Parker against the Lakers a few years ago.

v2000
05-16-2006, 02:02 PM
If it's not working, why are we forced to do it?
Because the Mavericks have a better team.

Kori Ellis
05-16-2006, 02:03 PM
regular season.

Yeah, that's the only thing that we have to compare it to -- the bigs haven't got minutes in this series. So we don't know it's going to fail if it hasn't been tried. I don't want to see them in major minutes. But I also don't want the Spurs to switch on pickandrolls, leaving Duncan guarding Harris and Parker guarding Dirk.

SA210
05-16-2006, 02:11 PM
Rasho!! and run some high lows with Timmy and Rasho too.

Nero
05-16-2006, 02:16 PM
I hope Rasho sees the floor next game. I can deal with him guarding somenoe and possibly getting burnt. Everyone else has given up points, whats the damn difference really

Exactly. We'd be better off playing lazy defense, especially against Dirk. Just guard him loosely and let him shoot his 17ft jumper. He'll make a lot of them, but it will be a lot better than him shooting freethrows every 10 seconds. Our little guys have done a terrible job against Dirk in this series, because not only are they not challenging his jumpshot, but they're also sending him to the line over and over on ticky tack crap. Duncan would just stay back and let him shoot.

Extra Stout
05-16-2006, 02:17 PM
Duncan's PF seemingly has all but disappeared since then. Would he be as ineffective now as he was in April?

velik_m
05-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Put Rasho in and then feed the ball to whoever Dirk is guarding. He will be fauled out by halftime

Who cares how the spurs match up with mavs - how do the mavs match up with spurs?

Kori Ellis
05-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Would he be as ineffective now as he was in April?

No, of course he wouldn't.

I'm all for Duncan guarding Dirk or Howard and Bowen guarding the other one. Maybe even switching back and forth throughout the game. Then letting Rasho guard Diop. And Manu/Tony take Terry/Harris.

I'm not saying it will work, but I would have tried it by now if I was Pop.

Tek_XX
05-16-2006, 02:21 PM

I'm all for Duncan guarding Dirk or Howard and Bowen guarding the other one. Maybe even switching back and forth throughout the game. Then letting Rasho guard Diop. And Manu/Tony take Terry/Harris.

Will he try it, im going to say no

MannyIsGod
05-16-2006, 02:21 PM
True... if the Spurs are going to allow 50% shooting with a dozen offensive rebounds and at least 30 free throws with small ball, how much worse could the defense be?Really, the more you think about it the more you realize how we've played right into their damn hands.

They're going to outscore us unless we play perfectly using small ball. They had the advantadges and the better team to play that way. Its just the way it is!

I understand Dirk is a tough matchup, but let Rasho have his try at him. Is Dirk going to drive past him every single time? Well, if so, I don't mind Duncan rotating off of the useless centers of Dallas because that sure as hell beats a rotation by a small guy leaving a shooter open. The smaller Spurs can't change a shot but they can give up 3s.

The rebounding is killing us. We've played them this way before and at least we didn't have the rebounding issues we've had.

The sad thing is that Pop never gave Rasho a damn chance in the series. I can understand making the adjustment to small ball if using your bigs didn't work, but the fact is that Pop never tried playing Spurs ball. He defaulted to Horry and small ball.

If the Spurs don't pull out this series, the offensive rebounding and defensive woes are going to lead to a summer of second guessing beyond belief.

ploto
05-16-2006, 02:22 PM
The main reason to scratch the small ball is that Dirk is having to do nothing on defense. Unfortunately, Big Shot Rob has turned into No Shot Rob. By playing Rasho, you are forcing Nowitzki to cover either him or Tim. Make Dirk do some work- get some fouls- something. If nothing else, Rasho will set some screens and get some guys better looks. Oh, and just let Rasho cover Dirk. Leave Tim on their center- inside rebounding.

SA210
05-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Make them matchup to US!! Put some twin tower basketball in the paint!

Swat at everything that comes our way.

It's do or die.

ploto
The sad thing is that Pop never gave Rasho a damn chance in the series.
Except in the one game they won.

Extra Stout

Well, he has to try something else, even if there's a chance it will fail miserably, because there is no way the Spurs win 3 straight against Dallas playing small-ball 111-109 games. It's not their game and hasn't been since reknowned well-tailored coaching genius Bob Hill patrolled the sidelines.

CosmicCowboy
05-16-2006, 02:25 PM
Will he try it, im going to say no

If he changes for game 5 and the Spurs win it will look like Pop fucked up games 2-4. I think Pop will stay with smallball and we will always wonder "what might have been".

Nero
05-16-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm not scared of Dirk driving by Rasho. Dirk is so lost in the lane. I haven't seen him finish in ages. Help defenders just have to try to stay out of his way when he comes smashing into you and throws up nonsense.

SA210
05-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Well, he has to try something else, even if there's a chance it will fail miserably, because there is no way the Spurs win 3 straight against Dallas playing small-ball 111-109 games. It's not their game and hasn't been since reknowned well-tailored coaching genius Bob Hill patrolled the sidelines.

Make them matchup to US!! Put some twin tower basketball in the paint!

Swat at everything that comes our way.

It's do or die.

MannyIsGod
05-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Someone explain to me why Rasho can't cover Dirk. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect him to shut him down, but I don't think its as bad as say, having Tony Parker switch onto Dirk. I think at this point if you can play some solid d on him, then you're doing a good thing. Especially if you're able to clear the glass when you play said defense and may actually give them fewer shots.

Tek_XX
05-16-2006, 02:27 PM
If he changes for game 5 and the Spurs win it will look like Pop fucked up games 2-4. I think Pop will stay with smallball and we will always wonder "what might have been".

You may be right. How can people say he was wrong if he never puts it on the floor to succeed

MannyIsGod
05-16-2006, 02:28 PM
BTW, for all the hate that Barry has gotten for his fuck ups, he should be given some props for the way he dleand the glass yesterday. he did a really good job.

SA210
05-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Someone explain to me why Rasho can't cover Dirk. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect him to shut him down, but I don't think its as bad as say, having Tony Parker switch onto Dirk. I think at this point if you can play some solid d on him, then you're doing a good thing. Especially if you're able to clear the glass when you play said defense and may actually give them fewer shots.

Exactly. The scoring was low for both teams in game 1, that's in OUR favor.

Put the 14 feet in the paint and swat like hell and let's play some godamn Spurs basketball!!

Do or Die,

someone text message Pop!!!

Tek_XX
It's true that rasho can't run with the mavs, pop is right here, but we have to do something to help our defense

1Parker1
The sad thing is that Pop never gave Rasho a damn chance in the series. I can understand making the adjustment to small ball if using your bigs didn't work, but the fact is that Pop never tried playing Spurs ball. He defaulted to Horry and small ball.

Exactly. Rasho never even got a chance in this series...and to give him one in Game 5, after his ass has been sitting on the bench for most of 4 games, how can you expect an average guy to produce on cue like that?

1Parker1
05-16-2006, 02:30 PM
Exactly. We won game 1 using Rasho. The scoring was low for both teams, that's in OUR favor.

Put the 14 feet in the paint and swat like hell and let's play some godamn Spurs basketball!!

Do or Die,

someone text message Pop!!!

I don't recall using Rasho much in Game 1 either...

1Parker1
05-16-2006, 02:31 PM
BTW, for all the hate that Barry has gotten for his fuck ups, he should be given some props for the way he dleand the glass yesterday. he did a really good job.

:lol I gave him props for that also in the Game Blog last night...right before he made that TO. :oops

Extra Stout
Even if Pop looks at his bigs and says, "There's nobody for them to guard," so what? Can transition defense get any worse? Can Finley get any more lost trying to rotate onto open shooters?

At least another big might be able to contain dribble penetration, which has been making the Spurs look like Seattle since Game 1.

SLOVENIAN 8
That is SICK that Pop did not even try with Nazr and Rasho... :cuss

If we lost this series, then for me is Pop the guilty man simply... :madrun :cuss

Tek_XX
05-16-2006, 02:32 PM
We tryed Nazr it didn't work out

Nero
05-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Nazr hasn't sniffed the court since Game 4 against SAC! That's when this whole thing started.

Extra Stout
05-16-2006, 02:36 PM
We tryed Nazi it didn't work out
Nazr is beyond hope at this point. He was critical to beating Detroit last year, but he is not the same guy now.

Maybe Pop has lost confidence in Rasho as well. It may be that he knows he needs another big, but the only ones at his disposal he thinks can't contribute in any meaningful way.

ploto
05-16-2006, 02:37 PM
Maybe Pop has lost confidence in Rasho as well. It may be that he knows he needs another big, but the only ones at his disposal he thinks can't contribute in any meaningful way.
All about match-ups.

Tek_XX
05-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Nazr is beyond hope at this point. He was critical to beating Detroit last year, but he is not the same guy now.

I thought Rasho looked active at the end of the season and also in the Kings series. I don't think Rasho is in the dog house, pop just really believes in this small ball crap.

ploto
05-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Rasho never even got a chance in this series...and to give him one in Game 5, after his ass has been sitting on the bench for most of 4 games, how can you expect an average guy to produce on cue like that?
Didn't you see his 7/10 of a second last night? :)

SLOVENIAN 8
05-16-2006, 02:41 PM
And Rasho he played well against SAC, and then sudenly he stay without playing time vs. DAL.

Is SA is paying players for sitting on the bench, then i would like to came there to :lol This is some unbelivable sh... i have ever seen. I cant belive that Spurs are loosing 3-1 and they play almost 50 min per game with same players. That is some fuc... shi... Sorry i have lost my all confident for this year becouse of that shi... :madrun :madrun not even try??? :madrun

Tek_XX
Didn't you see his 7/10 of a second last night? :)

He looked awesome waiting for the guy to shoot the FT

Nero
Matchups? Who will guard Nazr in the post? Howard, Dirk? Ha! Last I saw Nazr getting meaningful minutes he was playing very well on offense. Getting good position in the paint and scoring. Rebounding with the best in the league. It will be a matchup problem for both teams, but we will definitely improve on the boards and in interior D. Nazr played fine against Dallas, Phoenix, SAC in the reg season. Nothing has changed. Of course he'll look bad in 1 minute when he extremely rusty and scared of getting benched. Pop has panicked.

Extra Stout
05-16-2006, 02:52 PM
All about match-ups.
If so, then Pop's strategy has been a complete failure. The point of adjusting to matchups would be to keep the defense from breaking down completely.

The defense has broken down completely.

velik_m
05-16-2006, 02:57 PM
Free The Hulk!

http://www2.arnes.si/~ssdmgor3/rashohulk.jpg

Pero
05-16-2006, 04:40 PM
Matchups? Who will guard Nazr in the post? Howard, Dirk? Ha! Last I saw Nazr getting meaningful minutes he was playing very well on offense. Getting good position in the paint and scoring. Rebounding with the best in the league. It will be a matchup problem for both teams, but we will definitely improve on the boards and in interior D. Nazr played fine against Dallas, Phoenix, SAC in the reg season. Nothing has changed. Of course he'll look bad in 1 minute when he extremely rusty and scared of getting benched. Pop has panicked.

:lol
And looking bad in one minute might be an understatement.

Dirk41MVP
05-16-2006, 05:08 PM

During the reg. season Devin Harris didnt play in all the games against the spurs, he has been the key in this series for us. Little sophomore point guard is breaking your defense down big time.

What makes you think having another center there is going to be better for you ?

YOU DO KNOW THAT YOUR CENTER IS GOING TO BE IN THE PERIMETER ANYWAYS ???

SPUR CENTER ON: jho = SPUR CENTER ON THE PERIMETER
SPUR CENTER ON: dirk = SPUR CENTER ON THE PERIMETER

YOUR THEORY OF ANOTHER CENTER WILL ONLY GET YOU KILLED WORSE !!! HE WONT EVEN BE IN THE PAINT TO GUARD THOSE LAYUPS UNLESS YOU WANT TO GIVE JOSH HOWARD AND/OR DIRK WIDE OPEN SHOTS ALL NIGHT LONG !!!

Besides ask any mavs fan that has seen harris play at full speed, he has dunked over 7 footers PLENTy of times... he even went against ZO, so your centers would be posterized like bitches by our 6'3'' PG.

ata
05-16-2006, 05:19 PM

What exactly Nazr did against Detroit last year. He was no-factor in first six games and showed-up in game 7. He was great against Denver, but against Detroit, he was scrub.

Extra Stout
05-16-2006, 05:28 PM
What exactly Nazr did against Detroit last year. He was no-factor in first six games and showed-up in game 7. He was great against Denver, but against Detroit, he was scrub.
He was Mr. Offensive Rebound in the Finals last year.

If he could still do that, he would be playing, because God knows the Spurs would kill for a board or two... but alas, all he can do now is lose track of his man on defense, commit fouls, and fumble easy wide-open passes under the rim.

clambake
05-16-2006, 05:31 PM
If the spurs go big, Pop will think that Howard, Harris, Terry, and even Daniels would likely fly right by them. Spurs haven't lost the last 2 games in blowouts. Better to stick with what he's trying and get over the hump.

abelle23
05-16-2006, 06:12 PM
small ball is not working.. we need rebounders and shot blockers to counter harris and terry...
we could also use beno he can drive and make outside shots...van exel sucks!!!!

please pop do something!!!!!

cherylsteele
05-16-2006, 06:21 PM
No it is not.....we are down 1-3.
We have played with Rasho and Nazr starting alternatively. We need to go back to what got us the best record in the West.
I prefer to see Rasho start.
I would much rather see Dirk hitting jumpers and getting fewer free throws than driving the lane and getting a boatload of and-ones.
Let Dirk get his numbers....what really ticks me off is the seemingly non-stop parade of layups....with Rasho in there that would probably be reduced.

DDS4
05-16-2006, 06:21 PM
We're not even using Nazr/Rasho late in the 4th quarter for defensive substitutions when we really, really need a stop or a rebound. Those two guys are 12 fouls we can use on Dirk.

Dallas has no problem using those 12 fouls with Damp/Diop on Timmy.

DDS4
05-16-2006, 06:23 PM
If so, then Pop's strategy has been a complete failure. The point of adjusting to matchups would be to keep the defense from breaking down completely.

The defense has broken down completely.

Microcosm of the whole series.

Mavs have dictated the matchups, been aggressive, and the Spurs have been reacting the whole time.

SenorSpur
05-16-2006, 06:44 PM
In some situations, it's good to have size.

For example Game#3 after Tim fouls out. Had Pop inserted either Rasho or Nazr in the game foir that possession only would have helped virtually secure the miss shot. If the Spurs get this rebound, they're able to run the clock out or get fouled and go to the FT line. In either case, they win the game.

Instead recall that Dirk was able to slither inside and grab the offensive rebound and score the putback. That setup the terrible out of bounds play that Harris knocked away the inbounds pass from Manu.

mavsfan1000
05-16-2006, 06:55 PM
During the reg. season Devin Harris didnt play in all the games against the spurs, he has been the key in this series for us. Little sophomore point guard is breaking your defense down big time.

What makes you think having another center there is going to be better for you ?

YOU DO KNOW THAT YOUR CENTER IS GOING TO BE IN THE PERIMETER ANYWAYS ???

SPUR CENTER ON: jho = SPUR CENTER ON THE PERIMETER
SPUR CENTER ON: dirk = SPUR CENTER ON THE PERIMETER

YOUR THEORY OF ANOTHER CENTER WILL ONLY GET YOU KILLED WORSE !!! HE WONT EVEN BE IN THE PAINT TO GUARD THOSE LAYUPS UNLESS YOU WANT TO GIVE JOSH HOWARD AND/OR DIRK WIDE OPEN SHOTS ALL NIGHT LONG !!!

Besides ask any mavs fan that has seen harris play at full speed, he has dunked over 7 footers PLENTy of times... he even went against ZO, so your centers would be posterized like bitches by our 6'3'' PG.

It is true about Dirk but Duncan can stay inside against Josh Howard because Josh Howard is not a good outside shooter like Dirk.

strangeweather
05-16-2006, 07:00 PM
HE WONT EVEN BE IN THE PAINT TO GUARD THOSE LAYUPS UNLESS YOU WANT TO GIVE JOSH HOWARD AND/OR DIRK WIDE OPEN SHOTS ALL NIGHT LONG !!!

I want to give Josh Howard wide open perimeter shots all night long.

Sway
05-16-2006, 07:29 PM
I can’t believe people are still trying to defend this small ball BS. I mean I get all the “Mavs” fans supporting it but I don’t get it from the Spurs fans. Since when is turning into the Phoenix Suns in the playoffs a good idea? How about we put another big in there, make the Mavs change their style of play to match up with us and stop this small-nut crap.

ploto
05-16-2006, 08:03 PM
I think the greatest problem with small ball is all the players who don't have as much familiarity playing together and in their respective roles. I look back at game 1- a close game we pulled out- and who was on the floor late in the game- the same 5 guys we have expected for three years- Tim, Rob, Manu, Bruce, and Tony.

Flash forward to game 3- Tim fouls out- Tony sits on the bench- and we run a small ball line-up with Horry as the lone big-- Horry- a perimeter guy. 2 of the 5 are missing.

Game 4- Manu fouls out and you end up playing both Brent and Finley together in crunch time and they combine for the key turnover. Again 2 of the 5 are missing.

Small ball has been OK with 4 of the 5 guys-- Tim, Manu, Bruce, and Tony-- and even OK with Rasho against Sacramento- but when you replace Tim with Nazr , Horry or Oberto-- and/or you replace 2 of the other 3 guys, it just doesn't seem to work so well.

coachmac87
05-16-2006, 08:19 PM
u have to put nazr in the lineup and give him more min....small ball is not the way to go if they want to win 3 games in a row.....he will help the defense and clog the middle...and itll put dirk in the paint cause he will be forced to guard nazr..and that allows the spurs swingmen to drive and possibly attack dirk and get him in foul trouble for once in this seriies...duncan has to guard howard in this situation...make him shoot over tim and make sure tim doesnt play howard to tight so he wont get burned on penetration....if spurs dont make a change..they may survive in game 5 but will be done in game 6

Tek_XX
05-16-2006, 10:56 PM

SPARKY
05-16-2006, 11:01 PM
I think the Spurs should go with two bigs for stretches in the game. Assuming the refs continue to call the series as it has been in Games 2-4, putting TD on Nowitzki won't fly (TD couldn't even get repect from the refs against Diop). So TD would have to take on Howard. At least one big would be there at all times to protect the rim and hit the boards. Nesterovic makes more sense than Mohammed in this role. My guess is that Pop goes back to Oberto some.

PeterBurns
05-16-2006, 11:37 PM

Oh Sure Kori...Now you believe what I was saying....

Kori Ellis
05-16-2006, 11:38 PM
Oh Sure Kori...Now you believe what I was saying....

Oh, I still don't believe in using Nazr for any reason other than to hand out gatorade and towels. I was just noting that they were used in the regular season wins.

ploto
05-17-2006, 07:25 AM
A few words from Steve Kerr:

The Spurs are two defensive stops away from being up 3-1 in this series, but a couple of late lapses cost them Games 3 and 4 in Dallas. Still, there's no doubt that the Mavericks have dictated the terms, forcing San Antonio into many unfavorable matchups that have compromised its defense. Dallas has scored a combined 340 points in the last three games by attacking the rim with its speed and athleticism. The Spurs have gone small in an effort to combat the Mavs' quickness, but in the process, they've gotten away from the type of defense that won them three titles in the last seven seasons. Will Gregg Popovich play it the same way Wednesday, or will he go big by putting Rasho Nesterovic in the lineup to protect the rim and risk defending Dirk Nowitzki with Tim Duncan? Those are tough calls to make for San Antonio's coach, but consider this: The Spurs couldn't win Game 4 despite getting huge contributions from all three of their stars – Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili – and a great effort by Michael Finley. Dallas is on the verge of finally getting past its nemesis, but Avery Johnson's team can't let up now. A loss in Game 5 puts a lot of pressure on the Mavericks to win at home in Game 6. This is the one Dallas wants.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=sk-playoffs051606&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

ctpsb
05-17-2006, 09:16 AM
OK tell me where I'm wrong here (seriously). Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Start the other 7 footer (Nazr/Rasho, your choice). Have Duncan guard Howard. He hasn't been as offensively killing as other Mavs. And when Duncan guards Dirk, so be it. Tim is a how many time All-Star, 3 time Finals MVP, All-Defense, etc. At some point he has to be a big boy too. We can't be protecting him all the time. He is a top player in the league and should be able to defend Dirk at least some of the time.

And besides what good has been keeping him from guarding Dirk done? He still has 4-6 fouls at the end of every game anyway.

It was fine to experiment with small ball to see if it would work (Phoenix last year) and if it did, fine stick with it. Nothing wrong with trying. It's obvious it's not working this series. Some one else in this thread mentioned Nazr's/Rasho's stats in two wins over Mavs this season.

IT'S TIME TO PLAY SPURS BALL!!!

sakpase
05-17-2006, 10:01 AM
i don't undestand that we change the way we got success,

juste because pop don't want Duncan guards Dirk,
almost all Duncan fools is when is come to help when the Dallas do theirs penetration, second big=less penetrations

If Dallas as to win let's their all start beat us, not Terry,Howard,Harris,etc..

When the score is low, we can't give more rest to Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili too able to finish strong (not the case right now).

We are The Champions, the seed 1, 63 Win; and it's us to adapt to Dallas (soo Wrong).

Do you think Detroit will Change their line ups because they scare to put R Wallace guards Dirk.

Their success is our success= Defense ( force Jumps shoot) & Rebound

beirmeistr
05-17-2006, 11:01 AM
Oh, I still don't believe in using Nazr for any reason other than to hand out gatorade and towels. I was just noting that they were used in the regular season wins.
I'm not sure about the gatorade. He might drop it.

beirmeistr
05-17-2006, 11:04 AM
Pop is just being stubborn. For years he has preached defense, and now he states on the radio interview yesterday that the Spurs are scoring a lot of points with small ball.
They might still win game 5 with small ball but I think they would win it easier by playing D with their regular starters and Rasho. Dirk is playing on one good leg!

Dirk41MVP
05-17-2006, 12:26 PM
Those two guys are 12 fouls we can use on Dirk.
Dallas has no problem using those 12 fouls with Damp/Diop on Timmy

The difference here is Dirk is a 90% FT. shooter, one of the bets in the league, he is pretty much automatic from the stripe, while Duncan struggles mightly.

AND we dont need our centers for anything that rebounding an defensive purposes, so if they foul out we dont lose our offense, you dont lose offense with nazr and rasho either, but if you put duncan on dirk like i just read some people say, he will foul out like he did in game 3. YOUR CENTERS CANNOT KEEP DIRK IN FRONT OF THEM!!, simple as that really.

It is true about Dirk but Duncan can stay inside against Josh Howard because Josh Howard is not a good outside shooter like Dirk.

It's true about both, Remember those open looks Josh got in game 2 because of Harris's penetration ?, josh is a VERY good shooter, more of a slasher yes, but he an still shoot the ball VERY good. Not for anythig is he our 2nd best player.

And I dont think pop wants to leave him open all night long, considering he went for 27 points and 9 rebounds. Even so, that he was willing to switch bowen on josh instead of dirk so he wouldnt go off like that again.

Sad you dont even know Dallas's players and what they are capable of doing...good thing they're no coaches in this forum