PDA

View Full Version : Needed: Starting forward

ducks
10-09-2004, 09:29 PM
Needed: Starting forward
COLLEGEVILLE, Minn. — His left foot? Good. His back? That's good, too. His spot in the starting lineup? That's a different story.

In most years, Timberwolves swingman Wally Szczerbiak would return from an injury, come off the bench for a couple of games and then be put back into the starting lineup.

Things changed last season after he missed the first 53 games with a strained plantar fascia in his left foot.

The Wolves had a starting lineup they liked, and it was resulting in wins. Trenton Hassell complemented the Big Three of Kevin Garnett, Latrell Sprewell and Sam Cassell because all he had to do was play defense and hit open jumpers. As a result, Szczerbiak did not start a game during a season for the first time in his career.

But this is a new season, and the former all-star has different expectations. He's fully healthy and plans on regaining his starting spot.

"I want to start. I don't care what people say about starting and getting minutes," he said. "I do not like coming off the bench. I didn't enjoy it last year. I flat out want to start. I've got to go out and earn it, and that's something I've been trying to do so far in training camp. I've got to produce when I'm out on the floor and let the coaches decide."

Szczerbiak said he doesn't like it because it's tough for him to get into a rhythm.

"I'm not used to it because I've never done it my whole career," he said. "It's something the team asked me to do, so I did it last year. But by no means would I like to do it again."

After two injury-filled seasons in which he has played only 80 out of 164 regular-season games, Szczerbiak entered training camp injury free. He spent the summer adding 10 pounds of muscle and playing basketball three times a week while splitting his time in the Twin Cities and New York.

As is the case every summer and around every trading deadline, Szczerbiak had to plug his ears and close his eyes to avoid trade rumors involving him. Szczerbiak was rumored to be traded to the New York Knicks in a three-team deal last month.

"I try not to pay too much attention to the rumors, but the New York rumors do intrigue me somewhat," he said. "If I'm going to go, that's the only I place I would want to go. I love it here, we have a chance to win a title, but New York always raises my eyebrow because that's home, and it would always be nice to have one house and settle the family. But hey, I'm still here, so that should say something about the management and that they think I can still help this team."

In order to start, Szczerbiak has to show that he can do more than knock down jumpers and fill the lane on the fast break. He has to prove that he can complement Sprewell and play solid perimeter defense, which Hassell has done.

Coach Flip Saunders may solve the problem by starting the player who best fits the opponent. He could go with Szczerbiak when the Wolves need more offense and Hassell when they need somebody to defend an explosive perimeter player. Saunders, however, would rather select one player and stick with him.

"It doesn't make any difference to me who starts, it's who finishes," Wolves vice president of operations Kevin McHale said. "Who can help the team play well, who helps the team win games. They're both going to play a lot. I never worry about that stuff."

A starter hasn't been selected and might not be until later in the preseason, but Szczerbiak has made his presence felt in the first week of training camp.

"Wally has had a very good camp," Saunders said. "Trenton had some problems with soreness the first couple of days. They are both playing really well now."

Briefly: Center Michael Olowokandi didn't finish practice Friday because of soreness in his legs and back.

Mike Wells covers the Timberwolves and the NBA. He can be reached at [email protected].