PDA

View Full Version : An email exchange I had today.....

Walton Buys Off Me
05-16-2006, 02:37 PM
With a friend of mine that isn't even a Spurs fan........not saying it's right or wrong but worth noting that even someone with no real interest in the series can see the forest through the trees.

Everyone reaches a point in their line of work where some time off is beneficial. Phil Jackson stepped away from the game, I think Gregg Popovich needs to do the same thing. He's a great coach but he's clearly lost grasp of what made this team successful to begin with;

My comments are bolded;

Don’t really wanna talk about basketball till next year but I really hope the Spurs rethink the Gregg Popovich situation.

Yup.

Why is it the team with the better record and with home court advantage is making adjustments all series that are dictated by the opponent? That’s not a champion, that’s a scared coach. Avery Johnson, the rookie coach made a complete fool of Popovich from the opening tip of game 2.

Yes. It seems this series has really highlighted just how bad a coach Pop is at making adjustments. He's *woefully* slow and this time it's caught up to him with a vengeance. His love affair with small-ball this year is making the old Nellie-coached Mavs with their gimmicks look good. Our defense is as bad as its ever been with small guys trying to rotate and act as shotblockers. Kerr has mentioned this several times yet Pop doesn't have a clue.

We score > 100 points on > 50% shooting with our big 3 having the best lines they could possibly have and yet we still lose. Gee, you think maybe the problem is our defense? F--king imbecile!

Robert Horry has been pretty horrible I’ll agree but to not play him the entire fourth quarter and overtime is beyond insane.

Yeah, let's keep scared ass Barry in there so he can throw balls into the stands in crunch time and act as a turnstyle against Nowitski. Forget about the guy that singlehandedly destroyed a Pistons team in game 5 of the NBA finals last year and could actually help Tim out by blocking shots in the post so he isn't always in foul trouble with the Mavs driving all the time.

What an ignoramus.

Don’t get me started on taking Duncan out with 2:30 to play in the third and don’t even bring up the fact that he had Nick Van Exel guarding Devin Harris to start the fourth quarter of a must win game….

What more can you say? It's insane.

Pop needs a year off, he has totally lost it.

It hurts so much to see a team with the obviously more talented players lose to another team because of inferior coaching. It just robs everyone - the fans and the players themselves.

Let Carlisimo coach next year

That’s the last you’ll hear from me on the subject of basketball for 2006.