PDA

View Full Version : Spurs in 7

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-16-2006, 03:45 PM
What I’ve like about the Spurs recent small-ball play is their ability to spread the floor on offense and get to the rim. If one possession had gone differently at the end of games 3 and 4 this series would be 3-1 in favor of San Antonio. Dallas isn’t crushing the Spurs by any means, and the Spurs don’t look defeated or deflated as they did against the Lakers in the .04 series a couple of years back. I can see still see the Spurs winning this series, all it will take is a few breaks to go their way, and a change in defensive philosophy.

If I’m Pop I start Rasho in game 5 and plan on rotating him, Nazr and Oberto at the 5 spot. I will expect all 18 fouls to be used to deny the Mavs anything easy, and will reiterate to my troops that the only way the Mavericks score in the paint is if they get it from the line. (Dallas is getting to the line every other possession anyway, at least force them outside a bit more.) I tell these three that I want them to play like men possessed and I do not hesitate to switch them out the second they appear even slightly winded. I switch between a man and zone with my two bigs clogging the paint. If Dirk is getting some shots from the perimeter, fine, I’ll live with that as opposed to the parade of layups and shooting fouls Dallas has been getting to this point.

On offense I continue my using my spread offense and make sure my post guys are moving as much as possible. If Duncan is hit with the double team from Rasho’s man I’m making sure Rasho and company flash to the basket. If Dallas is single covering I move Rasho et. al. out of the paint and let Timmy go to work. I attack the rim at every opportunity and try to deny the offensive glass. Dallas is inept enough in the paint that even Rasho should be able to score down low.

Bottom line is that the Spurs need to play ‘Spurs basketball’ which is to protect the paint from all invaders and force the Mavericks into more of an outside attack. My fear is that Pop won’t want to tinker with the lineup much at this point, and considering that it’s already 3-1 he may have already gambled on small-ball for too long. His coaching history tends to show that he may not be willing to mix things up enough when the Spurs are trailing late in a series to make any real impact. My other fear is that Rasho, Nazr and Oberto won’t be capable of being the enforcers we need them to be to change the face of these next three games.

I seem to remember someone saying that defense wins championships, unfortunately that mantra been forgotten here in the last 3 games.

But I’m going to go out on a limb and predict that Pop is going to change something in game 5 that will change the face of the series and the momentum will shift back to San Antonio. The Spurs have only been a basket or two away from being up 3-1 and there's no reason to think that a small tweak won't fix what's broken. The Spurs will win in 7 games and advance.

I Believe.

td4mvp21
05-16-2006, 03:48 PM
Sounds nice, but Pop won't do anything extraordinary and change the series. He's not big on adjustments, he'll probably keep the same lineup and we'll lose in six.

1Parker1
05-16-2006, 03:48 PM
I hope you're right. Even if they win Game 5, what about Game 6 in Dallas?

Budkin
05-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Hell yeah!

ducks
05-16-2006, 03:51 PM
why not

2centsworth
05-16-2006, 03:51 PM
Dallas doesn't have experience in pressure situations. Those jumpshots will feel like they are shooting a medicine ball. Dallas' only chance to close out is tomorrow, if they don't the spurs walk them down.

SA210
05-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Play both our 7 footers.

Play D, make them adjust to us. Rabid fans.

Spurs in 7.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-16-2006, 03:54 PM

Games 3 and 4 were there for the taking with less than 24 seconds remaining. I see that as anyone's game. Momentum is a wonderous thing in sports and it's really all the Spurs need.

If we had no answers for Dallas then I'd say we're sunk, but we're still alive. . .especially if we can figure out a way to get the defense looking a little more recognizable.

LEONARD
Dallas doesn't have experience in pressure situations. Those jumpshots will feel like they are shooting a medicine ball. Dallas' only chance to close out is tomorrow, if they don't the spurs walk them down.

Yea, because none of the 1st 4 games were "pressure situations"... :spin

td4mvp21

They looked experienced last night. If they have an off night, I doubt it will be from pressure-it will be from them being overdue for an off night. S

Shank
05-16-2006, 03:56 PM
The San Antonio centers combined for, what, 1 second in game 4? Why would Pop start one or roll with one for an extended period of time?

DarrinS
05-16-2006, 03:57 PM
If there is a game 7, that's the next one I'll watch.

1Parker1
05-16-2006, 03:58 PM
Games 3 and 4 were there for the taking with less than 24 seconds remaining. I see that as anyone's game. Momentum is a wonderous thing in sports and it's really all the Spurs need.

If we had no answers for Dallas then I'd say we're sunk, but we're still alive. . .especially if we can figure out a way to get the defense looking a little more recognizable.

You're right about our defense, but I'm thinking Pop's adjustments, if he does decide to make them will be too little too late.

Still, it would be one of the best comebacks in the history of the league :smokin

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-16-2006, 03:58 PM
The San Antonio centers combined for, what, 1 second in game 4? Why would Pop start one or roll with one for an extended period of time?

Because it's 3-1 Mavs and the Spurs are last in the league in defense during the playoffs.

DDS4
05-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Play both our 7 footers.

Play D, make them adjust to us. Rabid fans.

Spurs in 7.

If anything, do that at the end of the game when we need stops. We haven't been able to get stops at crucial times.

himat
05-16-2006, 04:24 PM

Just hope that the Spurs win Game 5 and have a chance at the end of Game 6.

Oh, Gee!!
05-16-2006, 04:24 PM
If spurs win this series, I'll stop posting here forever.

atxrocker
05-16-2006, 04:25 PM
:lol :lol

Unregistered
05-16-2006, 04:32 PM
If spurs win this series, I'll stop posting here forever.

Why don't you get a head start?

Great post, Ed.

bigzak25
05-16-2006, 04:33 PM
The Spurs will win in 7 games and advance.

I Believe.

:makemyday

Extra Stout
05-16-2006, 04:35 PM
That was my line of thinking a month ago. When Jason Terry nailed that rainbow over Duncan with 30 seconds left in overtime, my line of thinking was shattered. That was a pressure shot if there ever was one.

The yips would emerge if the Mavs feared the Spurs. But with small ball all the rage right now with Pop, the Spurs are about as scary as the Suns.

td4mvp21
05-16-2006, 04:38 PM
:lol :lol

KINGS IN 7!!

Oops. :flipoff :stfu

Nbadan
05-16-2006, 04:47 PM
If Duncan had seal the shot at the end of regulation, we would all be praising POP for his offensive adjustments. Everytime the Spurs try to go big the Mavs go on a run, but the answer for some of you remains to play Rasho and Nazr. Yet, when Dirk goes to the basket and gets touched, he gets the call, but you still want to put Duncan on Dirk? That's crazy.

Spurminator
05-16-2006, 04:55 PM
How badass would a game 7 in this series be?

I'm getting excited again. Just 2 wins in a row and we're there.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-16-2006, 04:56 PM
If Duncan had seal the shot at the end of regulation, we would all be praising POP for his offensive adjustments. Everytime the Spurs try to go big the Mavs go on a run, but the answer for some of you remains to play Rasho and Nazr. Yet, when Dirk goes to the basket and gets touched, he gets the call, but you still want to put Duncan on Dirk? That's crazy.

I'd consider trying Rasho on Dirk. I think the Spurs need someone out there to clog the lane. Right now Dallas is performing a layup drill, and when they miss they're shooting free throws. The Spurs would be better off playing there bigs, sagging into the lane a little bit and forcing Dallas to beat us from the outside. Other teams have done exactly this to us in the past with pretty good success.

If the Spurs had anyone other big waiting in the wings I'd say fire 'em up, but Rasho and Nazr is what we got. Small-ball killed us in some regular season games and is killing us in this series.

Sean Marks anyone??

Nbadan
05-16-2006, 04:57 PM
It's possible, but the Spurs would have to shoot 3 more times like they did last night and I'm not sure they have it in them.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-16-2006, 04:57 PM
How badass would a game 7 in this series be?

I'm getting excited again. Just 2 wins in a row and we're there.

It can be done!!! Phoenix already proved that this season.

Nbadan
05-16-2006, 05:15 PM
Rasho's just not much of scoring threat, and combined with Bowen, who's not much of shot-creator anyway, but has been really enemic in this series, you limit your scoring opportunities to 3.

tlongII
05-16-2006, 05:34 PM
Mavs in 5.

MannyIsGod
05-16-2006, 05:50 PM
One game at a time. ONE game at a time. All I'm asking for is a battle from the Spurs in game 5. I definetly think winning this series is possible. I hope they bring it tomorrow night. A blowout would be awesome. :lol

spurschick
05-16-2006, 05:51 PM
I've been saying Spurs in 6 all along, but I guess that ship sailed. :lol

Spurs in 7!

hardwood
05-16-2006, 06:07 PM
I'd consider trying Rasho on Dirk.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA please put him on Dirk, please do. Dirk, even with his bum ankle would take over the game if you put Rasho on him. Just face it, the Mavs are exploiting all of your weaknesses. With the exception of Tim Duncan, the spurs have been out hustled, out rebounded, and out coached in this series. Avery has a solid system in place, and more speed than the spurs can handle. Jason Terry even juked Bowen out of his shoes, which surpised me. I must admit this has been the most entertaining basketball I have seen in a long time. Mavs win the series on Wednesday.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-16-2006, 06:14 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA please put him on Dirk, please do. Dirk, even with his bum ankle would take over the game if you put Rasho on him. Just face it, the Mavs are exploiting all of your weaknesses. With the exception of Tim Duncan, the spurs have been out hustled, out rebounded, and out coached in this series. Avery has a solid system in place, and more speed than the spurs can handle. Jason Terry even juked Bowen out of his shoes, which surpised me. I must admit this has been the most entertaining basketball I have seen in a long time. Mavs win the series on Wednesday.

Considering that it's been five against eight I think the Spurs have done pretty well.

abelle23
05-16-2006, 06:18 PM
If there is a game 7, that's the next one I'll watch.

me too...i dont think i can take it anymore...im just too nervous to watch!!!

coachmac87
05-16-2006, 06:20 PM
u have to start nazr....gotta get back to spurs basketball....make dallas shoot outside..sumthin that havent done all series...cause well theres only one 7ft in the lane and not 2.... to me its a no brainer...our best game was the 1st game of the playoffs and we had nazr in the lineup...he did great with 18pts and reb. but he hit a 3 and hasnt seen the floor since...(stupid pop) i didnt think harris would be such a factor but man he is...i think nazr will make a similar impact but not so much on the offensvie end but on the boards and to clog up the lane...i can live with duncan on howard...rasho...on the bench...to soft..

hardwood
05-16-2006, 06:22 PM
I agree that the spurs have done and excellent job in this series. They are a great team. The mavericks performance against the spurs in this series have not only raised my confidence in thier ability to win this series, but also that they could beat any team in a 7 game series. The mavericks run deeper than the spurs do and that is the reason why we are winning and will win. Congradulations on a wonderful regular season.

SenorSpur
05-16-2006, 06:22 PM
I suffered throught the doldrums of watching the replay of the game again today on NBATV. It's obvious. Defense and rebounding are sorely lacking on this team. They don't even resemble the team that stormed through the regular season.

coachmac87
05-16-2006, 06:26 PM
I suffered throught the doldrums of watching the replay of the game again today on NBATV. It's obvious. Defense and rebounding are sorely lacking on this team. They don't even resemble the team that stormed through the regular season.

and nazr will make a serious impact on those issues....he did it last yeari int he playoffs with det. and phoenix

Dre_7
05-16-2006, 06:32 PM
Spurs will win game 5 by over 10 points. Then they will win game 6 in a hard fought battle to tie the series and force a game 7. Once they have game 7 in SA, it will be off to the WCF!

Spurs in 7!

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-16-2006, 06:34 PM
and nazr will make a serious impact on those issues....he did it last yeari int he playoffs with det. and phoenix

Actually you're right coach. Nazr played well against Phoenix. I'd say give him a shot. He's been in the doghouse since game one against Sacramento.

SenorSpur
05-16-2006, 06:35 PM
Has anyone noticed that in the past 2 games, if the Spurs simply secure the defensive rebounds off Mavs miss - they win.

coachmac87
05-16-2006, 06:36 PM
im not sure if ur being sarcastic?? but when he did start against sac...that was by far the best the spurs played...and they seemed like the spurs of old...not this small squad weve tried with sac and were doing it with dallas..we cant rebound...and the lane is wide open..duncan is the only big in the lane and we cant afford to get him in fould trouble

Brutalis
05-16-2006, 06:41 PM
I believe.

Trifecta
05-16-2006, 07:05 PM
Spurs will win game 5 by over 10 points. Then they will win game 6 in a hard fought battle to tie the series and force a game 7. Once they have game 7 in SA, it will be off to the WCF!

Spurs in 7!

Man, I get really excited thinking about a game 7!!!

Spurs need to take this one game at a time!!!

Trifecta
05-16-2006, 07:07 PM
Has anyone noticed that in the past 2 games, if the Spurs simply secure the defensive rebounds off Mavs miss - they win.

That's why they need size in their late in the game!!!

After all, they were leading!!!! We don't need Rasho to be the focus on the offensive end anyway!

We need TWO BIGS late in the game.

SPARKY
05-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Games 3 and 4 showed that the Spurs are right there with the Mavs. Spurs are ahead of the Mavs sans the bullshit preferential treatment for Dirk but I digress. Anyways, all they need to do is come out, play hard, loose and with nothing to lose. Win Game 5 and the pressure is all on the Mavs to close out in Game 6. Running up a 3-1 lead with some home cooking is one thing. Closing out the Spurs will be quite another. I think this series goes at least 6 barring another bag job by the whistles.

Leetonidas
05-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Excellent post Ed. I totally agree. I've been saying since Game 2 to start Rasho. Interior defense has always been our key to success and it's not there right now. If the Spurs can take Game 5 with confidence, they'll bring it all into Game 6.

Spurs in 7.

gameFACE
05-16-2006, 07:27 PM
I'm game for anything at this point. Even the ridiculous. Dirk is going to go to the line regardless of who guards him. I'd throw Nazr and Rasho in there for some quick fouls. But they will have to be aggresive. It could help Bruce and Manu avoid fouling out.

The thought of a Game 7 makes me salivate.

Mavs<Spurs
05-16-2006, 08:35 PM
As the tide started to turn against us, I got kind of upset at the Spurs and a little depressed. Winning 3 straight seems very unlikely and so it is easy to feel like it is not possible. This is how I felt as I saw us squander that 8 point lead...

However, with the passage of a day, it is not quite as bad as it looked at the time. There still are several reasons for hope.

(1) Not all 3-1 deficits are equal. Being down 3-1 when you did not have homecourt advantage (at the onset of the series) would mean that you would have to win 2 on the road as well as 1 at home. However, in our situation, we only have to win 1 on the road and win our home games.

(2) We were not blown out of any of the games in Dallas. We have been 1 play away from winning both games in Dallas. Therefore, it is reasonable to believe that it is realistic for us to win game 6 in Dallas if we get that far. It is reasonable to believe that we will win game 5 in San Antonio. Does anybody believe that we will lose this game in San Antonio? I don't. Beating us 4 straight games (2 straight in our building) does not seem likely. Surely we are the overwhelming favorites to win game 5. Then we are at game 6. Win that game, and game 7 is in San Antonio and we surely have at least a 50-50 shot at winning that game 7.

(3) Tim Duncan is playing the best he has in years, averaging better than 30 points a game and 10 + rebounds a game in this series. Playoff Manu is starting to return. If Tony isn't slowed too much by his recent groin injury, then we are in good shape with our players.

So, there is still a lot of room for hope for the Spurs to win this series.
Let's build some momentum, get a good solid win in game 5. Then, we can go into Dallas for game 6 feeling good about our team and retake hca.

Let's do this thing!

DubMcDub
05-16-2006, 08:45 PM
It can be done!!! Phoenix already proved that this season.

If only the Mavericks were the LA Lakers you folks would be in great shape!

Slinkyman
05-16-2006, 08:47 PM
we just have to win one game, get some momentum and go back to dallas 3-2.

Leetonidas
05-16-2006, 09:00 PM
If only the Mavericks were the LA Lakers you folks would be in great shape!

It's fairly the same thing. The Suns and Lakers are closely matched, like the Spurs and Mavericks. You'd be kidding yourself if you said the Spurs couldn't win the next 3, because they are damn well capable.

DubMcDub
05-16-2006, 09:09 PM
It's fairly the same thing. The Suns and Lakers are closely matched, like the Spurs and Mavericks. You'd be kidding yourself if you said the Spurs couldn't win the next 3, because they are damn well capable.

No, the Suns were actually quite a bit better than the Lakers all year. Whereas you could only make the case that the Spurs were marginally better than the Mavs.

Furthermore, the situation is different because the Mavericks play better defense, play better team ball, and won't revert to a situation in which one player (read: Kobe) tries to do everything in Games 5 and 6.

I'm not saying it cannot be done. The Spurs still scare me as a Mavs fan. All I'm saying is the Suns-Lakers series has VERY minimal relevance.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-17-2006, 11:10 AM
Tonight we start a new winning streak.

lilmads
05-17-2006, 11:15 AM
^ Hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!

4001 STEREO SPUR
05-17-2006, 11:37 AM
:flag: :flag: :flag:

kalikot_boy_kr
05-17-2006, 11:43 AM
thousand times, i always say: spurs will win game 7....spurs in history...ba afraid mavs, believed me....

kalikot_boy_kr
05-17-2006, 11:52 AM
i been saying> spurs win game 7<<<<