PDA

View Full Version : The Pop Show 4:30pm

Kori Ellis
05-16-2006, 04:25 PM
I believe there's a Pop Show today at 4:30.

http://www.ticket760.com/main.html

Click Listen Live.

timvp
05-16-2006, 04:27 PM
Hopefully Pop's Russian ass calls out the refs.

:lol:drunk

angel_luv
05-16-2006, 04:30 PM
You're right Kori.

Thanks! Listening now. :)

2centsworth
05-16-2006, 04:33 PM
I can tell you what's going to be on the show. Pop and the host will get mad at all the callers for not asking questions but for making comments. Then people will ask questions and Pop won't answer them.

Walton Buys Off Me
05-16-2006, 04:34 PM
I've got a question-

Why do you still have a job?

Take a year off- spend some time at the vineyard and come back in 2008.

Kori Ellis
05-16-2006, 04:34 PM
I've got a question-

Why do you still have a job?

Take a year off- spend some time at the vineyard and come back in 2008.

Call in and ask :drunk

SPURSCHAMPS
05-16-2006, 04:36 PM
What is he saying???????? Please post.

2centsworth
05-16-2006, 04:36 PM
both teams played hard.

Walton Buys Off Me
05-16-2006, 04:37 PM
Give me the number.

Kori- you're an intelligent woman- please don't tell me that Pop hasn't been played like a fool in this series...please don't tell me that.

2centsworth
05-16-2006, 04:38 PM
he's sorta calling out the refs!

PeterBurns
05-16-2006, 04:39 PM
736-9760

Walton Buys Off Me
05-16-2006, 04:40 PM
Area code please?

Kori Ellis
05-16-2006, 04:40 PM
Area code please?

Walton Buys Off Me
05-16-2006, 04:42 PM
What are the chances I get through if I call now?

I'm not gonna run up my long distance bill waiting.....seems to me they only take about three calls anyways.

2centsworth
05-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Pop a little sensitive to criticism. Good question Walter.

GermationSensation
He says what every Spurs fan should accept, both teams played hard, refs were crap on both sides but the bottom line is the Spurs had a shot at the end of both games 3 and 4 and fucked both of them up.

angel_luv
Pop said how proud he is of the guys for coming out strong and playing well even after game 3.
Said the team is motivated.

Walton Buys Off Me
05-16-2006, 04:44 PM
Busy...busy can't get through

PeterBurns
05-16-2006, 04:44 PM
He just said Brent played as he had .."His head in his ass"
Van Exel has been asked not the dress for the game 5

Devin Harris looks like..."A Bitch"

And Dick Bevatta was name Dick for a reason

2centsworth
05-16-2006, 04:45 PM
, refs were crap on both sides
he absolutely did not say that. He said he's never seen a worse call ever, and then said it was frustrating that the mavs didn't score a fg at the end of the 4th in game 3 but made 11 fts.

Kori Ellis
05-16-2006, 04:47 PM
He is explaining the use of the small lineup throroughly.

He's saying that the small lineup is working very well on offense.

He's saying that Nazr and Rasho both didn't play well down the stretch of the season. He's saying that he can't have two bigs on the floor because Duncan would have to guard Dirk (or maybe Howard) and would get into foul trouble.

He said that Dirk has gotten 21 and 14 freethrows in the last two games and if Duncan had to guard him, he'd foul out.

nbascribe
Walton,

What the fuck are u talking about? Let's see, two titles in three years; three titles in seven years. One of the fastest coaches to reach 500 games. Tell us what coach in the modern era outside of Phil Jackson has that type of coaching line? Those two are it jackass.

Dude come to this forum with some intelligence on the criteria for coaching. Avery has a young team that has energy and they are hungry. The Spurs are playing like typical champions do; figuring they flip the damn switch. Twice a missed rebound and lack of knowing your assignment has cost this team wins. It's not the refs. It's not the floor. The Spurs lost because they got their asses out hustled down the stretch.

The only thing Avery is doing is motivating his team to play their best basketball and he's getting maximum effort from guys who want to play. He's not outcoaching Pop or anything like that mess.

And quit whining about you can't get through. Use the damn cell phone it would be cheaper. Send an IM to the studio and it might get read on the air.

Get a fucking grip.

island_dude
He just said Brent played as he had .."His head in his ass"
Van Exel has been asked not the dress for the game 5

Devin Harris looks like..."A Bitch"

And Dick Bevatta was name Dick for a reason
Homo says what???

Walton Buys Off Me
05-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Why doesn't he address the fact that he's let Avery Johnson dictate EVERY strategic facet of this series?

Why doresn't he address why he's allowed the Mavericks coaching staff- not he Mavericks to take one of the greatest playoff performers of all time, Robert Horry out of the series?

angel_luv
05-16-2006, 04:48 PM
He's saying that Nazr and Rasho both didn't play well down the stretch of the season.

Ouch!

ducks
05-16-2006, 04:51 PM
can spurs get one big if it means rasho and nazr go?
I know nazr is a fa
spurs need to try to do a sign and trade for him for a long three or a big

Walton Buys Off Me
People who sing the praises of Gregg Popovich forget that he's been blessed to coach two of the 50 greastest players of all time

Flip Saunders won how many games this year? Does that make him a great coach? Byron Scott has one of the best playoff coaching percentages of all time? Does that make him a great coach?

2centsworth
Tony pulls a groin, great.

erica_who?
05-16-2006, 04:52 PM
Who are they talking about? (the pulled groin)

Kori Ellis
Now he's talking about how/why Tony was limping in the 4th.

Apparently he pulled a groin muscle at some point and was laboring heavily by the end of the game. He got treatment today and they hope he can go tomorrow.

Walton Buys Off Me
And my point is that Pop is a great coach. I think he just needs time off.

angel_luv
05-16-2006, 04:53 PM
Was the hang up really an accident?

Cue conspiracy music... :lol

ducks
if tp is not 100%
this series IS FUCKING OVER

nbascribe
What you have to realize is that this is a match up nightmare for the Spurs. There are not many athletic big men out there that can play with Dirk and a few others.

in the words of Bruce Bowen, "it is what it is".

td4mvp21
05-16-2006, 04:54 PM
Pop is a great coach, but I wouldn't mind seeing a new coach for the Spurs. Sometimes I feel Pop doesn't make the right decisions. Actually often I feel that way. Just an opinion though.

angel_luv
05-16-2006, 04:55 PM
"Game 3 was a strange ending game in many ways, I thought. But still we have to over come it."- Pop

Kori Ellis
He's talking a little about officiating. Saying that they can't control that and that they need to concentrate on what they can control (good defense, rebounding, etc).

Basically he's saying Dallas got it done and the Spurs didn't.

nbascribe
What to 50 players Walton? Duncan wasn't named one of the 50 greatest players in league history.

ducks
only change the spurs need to make is for pj to get a head coaching job and rick (kings coach) to be the head assistant

are spurs missing mike brown
He worked with stephen jackson and his d

PeterBurns
05-16-2006, 04:56 PM
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Go Big. Damn. Let Dirk get 40 Tomorrow. But Clog the DAMN LANE....
Amare went off last year, and we shut them down.....

RASHO HAS GOT 275 Pounds and 6 F'n Fouls....USE THEM

Walton Buys Off Me
What to 50 players Walton? Duncan wasn't named one of the 50 greatest players in league history.

Yes he was

2centsworth
"Game 3 was a strange ending game in many ways, I thought. But still we have to over come it."- Pop
but he said they did over come it but things were out of their control.

ducks
05-16-2006, 04:57 PM
He's talking a little about officiating. Saying that they can't control that and that they need to concentrate on what they can control (good defense, rebounding, etc).

did people actually think he would call out the refs :wakeup

2centsworth

Basically he's saying Dallas got it done and the Spurs didn't.for pop to even talk that much about officiating says a lot. I have never heard him say a thing ever about officiating before.

Extra Stout
Teams don't win championships playing small ball. If that's all Pop has, then this team simply doesn't have the guns to get it done.

td4mvp21
05-16-2006, 04:58 PM
only change the spurs need to make is for pj to get a head coaching job and rick (kings coach) to be the head assistant

are spurs missing mike brown
He worked with stephen jackson and his d

I would love for PJ to be head coach.

angel_luv
05-16-2006, 04:58 PM
The caller was asking what it was like coaching against himself... i.e. Pop vs. Avery.

Pop: "It's going to come down to a board, a shot, or a call and those things haven't gone our way."

ducks
05-16-2006, 04:59 PM
I would love for PJ to be head coach.
\
spurs or another team

pj has no chance with the spurs until pop says so

Kori Ellis
05-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Now they are asking him about the makeup call after the Spurs got that call in their favor (when the ball didn't hit rim).

He couldn't really comment.

nbascribe
Okay for the umpteenth time. Dallas puts their big and lessor players (Griffin) on the weakside of the ball. The Spurs need to attack that side of the floor more often, running pick and rolls, screens, etc and have Tim drive on that side more. They did it some in the game.

Most importantly this team needs to slow this tempo down. Again, if the Spurs go over 100 points and allow their oppoents the same amount, they lose most games.

ducks
when your bigs suck you have to go small
not a hard concept is it?

PeterBurns
Teams don't win championships playing small ball. If that's all Pop has, then this team simply doesn't have the guns to get it done.

Exactly....That's why if the Mavs advance they'll get in handed to them with the bigs of Detroit.

angel_luv
Pop says they need all us fans tomorrow tonight.

Bring it guys!
(That last part was me. :) )

polandprzem

That pretty much Pop.

"I don't care about things I can't control"

I love it.

austinfan
05-16-2006, 05:02 PM
That pretty much Pop.

"I don't care about things I can't control"

I love it.

You've got to respect a guy who declines the chance to get in a pissing match with Cuban or the refs. Still don't understand why he doesn't give Rasho a chance--hell, even 5 minutes out there--to see what he can do, and if it throws the Mavs off their game plan a little.

nbascribe
05-16-2006, 05:03 PM
Walton, no he wasn't. Tim hadn't been in the league long enough to ge that honor back in the 90s. Matter of fact I think Robinson getting that honor was either a year before Tim got to San Antonio or a year afterwards. I'd have to check but I know for certain Tim was never named to to that list.

As a matte of fact: http://www.nba.com/history/50greatest.html

That's the story from the NBA. You want to still say Tim was one of the 50 greatest?

Extra Stout
05-16-2006, 05:03 PM
Exactly....That's why if the Mavs advance they'll get in handed to them with the bigs of Detroit.
I think Detroit would win that series handily... but the Mavs are more the way the Spurs were last year, versatile enough to switch styles. A Detroit-Dallas series would be in the 90s.

AJ migrated them to a conventional lineup this year.

picnroll
05-16-2006, 05:04 PM
I've got a feeling that in private Pop reamed Bavetta a new asshole.

Crookshanks
This is the most candid talk about officiating that I've heard from the Spurs. Usually, Coach Pop changes the subject or doesn't even acknowledge the question. For him to talk as much as he did shows how frustrated they are with something that is totally out of their control.

I especially liked how he mentioned that the Mavs didn't make a shot late in the 4th quarter of game 3, yet they got 11 freethrows! He said that was especially frustrating for his guys.

2centsworth
I would bet the farm that the coaching staff bitched about the officiating in private.

polandprzem
05-16-2006, 05:05 PM
You've got to respect a guy who declines the chance to get in a pissing match with Cuban or the refs. Still don't understand why he doesn't give Rasho a chance--hell, even 5 minutes out there--to see what he can do, and if it throws the Mavs off their game plan a little.

No sarcasm on my part

Slinkyman
05-16-2006, 05:05 PM
when your bigs suck you have to go small
not a hard concept is it?

exactly, pop has lost all faith in rasho and nazr and i'd be surprised to ever see either one in a spurs uni again

DDS4
05-16-2006, 05:06 PM
Now they are asking him about the makeup call after the Spurs got that call in their favor (when the ball didn't hit rim).

He couldn't really comment.

That has got to be my biggest pet peeve of the NBA officiating. Refs feel they have to cover up a blown call with another makeup bogus call.

Kori Ellis
05-16-2006, 05:06 PM
exactly, pop has lost all faith in rasho and nazr and i'd be surprised to ever see either one in a spurs uni again

I was thinking the same thing. But I don't know if anyone will take Rasho's contract.

2centsworth
05-16-2006, 05:07 PM
This is the most candid talk about officiating that I've heard from the Spurs. Usually, Coach Pop changes the subject or doesn't even acknowledge the question. For him to talk as much as he did shows how frustrated they are with something that is totally out of their control.

I especially liked how he mentioned that the Mavs didn't make a shot late in the 4th quarter of game 3, yet they got 11 freethrows! He said that was especially frustrating for his guys.
to that point do you remember Pop calling Walter a homer for asking about officiating against SAC. Even against the Lakers Pop never once said anything about the refs.

nbascribe
This coaching staff is to professional for that. If Pop said that they didn't talk about it much, you can bet your rent money that it wasn't discussed much. if it were, then they would have sent a tape in to the league. And they don't need to do that. There are eight group supervisors watching these games in New York so I'm sure somebody will get their ass chewed out for bad calls.

timvp
Okay for the umpteenth time. Dallas puts their big and lessor players (Griffin) on the weakside of the ball. The Spurs need to attack that side of the floor more often, running pick and rolls, screens, etc and have Tim drive on that side more. They did it some in the game.

Someone is drunk off they azz. Don't blame you.

Check how many minutes Griffin played in the last two games.

CosmicCowboy
05-16-2006, 05:08 PM
Yes he was

No he wasn't.

That "Top 50" list was made in 1996 and Tim was NOT on it.

bendmz
05-16-2006, 05:09 PM
guess it's time to start the "TRADE BARRY TALKS AGAIN"!!!!!!!!

degenerate_gambler
I was thinking the same thing. But I don't know if anyone will take Rasho's contract.

Then throw in Brent Barry too.

Extra Stout
This coaching staff is to professional for that. If Pop said that they didn't talk about it much, you can bet your rent money that it wasn't discussed much. if it were, then they would have sent a tape in to the league. And they don't need to do that. There are eight group supervisors watching these games in New York so I'm sure somebody will get their ass chewed out for bad calls.
Yeah, I'm sure the NBA is all torn up about it.

nbascribe
CC, tried to tell Walton that about bringing knowledge to this forum.

Slinkyman

Unfortunitly the only way i see rasho traded is if we trade someone rights or take an even bigger and longer contract back in exchange.

ducks
05-16-2006, 05:10 PM
rasho, barry for smith and pj brown
they get out of browns contract in one year

polandprzem
Has offseason started?

(The question to believers.)

td4mvp21
\
spurs or another team

pj has no chance with the spurs until pop says so

For our coach. He likes motion offense, and I bet he could utilize our players better than Pop does at the moment. But you are right, he probably won't. Pipe dream, mostly.

nbascribe
If this goes seven, remember the refs had nothing to do with it....well maybe!! lol

2centsworth
Unfortunitly the only way i see rasho traded is if we trade someone rights or take an even bigger and longer contract back in exchange.
spurs are going to have to go over the cap to correct that mistake.

CosmicCowboy
05-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Has offseason started?

(The question to believers.)

nope. If Tony is OK this is still gonna be a 6-7 game series.

ata

Not well enough.

He's saying that Nazr and Rasho both didn't play well down the stretch of the season. He's saying that he can't have two bigs on the floor because Duncan would have to guard Dirk (or maybe Howard) and would get into foul trouble.

He said that Dirk has gotten 21 and 14 freethrows in the last two games and if Duncan had to guard him, he'd foul out.

So, Horry was shinning all season long, or what. I respect BigShot, however he hasn't done shit in this PO. Damn, Rasho played better against Kings.

Extra Stout
guess it's time to start the "TRADE BARRY TALKS AGAIN"!!!!!!!!
Even if one were prone to defend Barry... this team has to do something about its age on the perimeter and its suddenly-inept frontline around Duncan.

If that means trading Barry, so be it.

A maximum of 6 players from this squad will return for 2006-07.

angel_luv

I'm trying hard to be focused and brave here.

Work with me woman! :angel

nbascribe
Look on the bright side, if this happens again, we get Dallas in the WCF....Stern got tired of hearing people bitch about him fucking that up (seeding).

ploto
05-16-2006, 05:12 PM
He's saying that Nazr and Rasho both didn't play well down the stretch of the season.
I actually don't agree with this. Rasho ended the season on a definite high note after a couple of weeks of barely playing. He had 11 rebounds off the bench the next to last game of the season. Pop brought him in several times to shut down someone- like Dwight Howard. Nazr on the other hand was in decline.

I am curious as to what question brought forth this answer-- or was it just a general statement that they both played poorly. How can he possibly leave Horry out of this discussion? His series has been pathetic.

strangeweather
05-16-2006, 05:13 PM
rasho, barry for smith and pj brown
they get out of browns contract in one year

Why is that a smart deal for New Orleans?

CosmicCowboy
Look on the bright side, if this happens again, we get Dallas in the WCF....Stern got tired of hearing people bitch about him fucking that up (seeding).

You guys are forgetting Phoenix. If Stoudamire comes back healthy that team is gonna be scary good.

2centsworth
Even if one were prone to defend Barry... this team has to do something about its age on the perimeter and its suddenly-inept frontline around Duncan.

If that means trading Barry, so be it.

A maximum of 6 players from this squad will return for 2006-07.
Spurs need an athletic big, a backup PG, and another defensive stopper on the perimeter.

ducks
05-16-2006, 05:14 PM
the pop show will be online later for those that did not hear everything

props for people telling people what was talked about now though

Shank
05-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Okay for the umpteenth time. Dallas puts their big and lessor players (Griffin) on the weakside of the ball. .

Griffin hasn't played since game 1.

ducks
05-16-2006, 05:15 PM
Why is that a smart deal for New Orleans?

pj is 50 -50 that he wants to go to a contender

td4mvp21
05-16-2006, 05:15 PM
I don't care what happens in this series, but get rid of Van Exel, Barry, Nazr, and Rasho for young, athetlic, players and someone who can defend and rebound effectively (if the Mavs didn't have Diop, I'd want him)

picnroll
05-16-2006, 05:16 PM
I can't believe people talking about playing Rasho or Nazr wioth Duncan.

If Rasho or Nazr is in HOW THE HELL ARE YOU GOING TO MATCH UP. Put up.

Extra Stout
05-16-2006, 05:17 PM
I can't believe people talking about playing Rasho or Nazr wioth Duncan.

If Rasho or Nazr is in HOW THE HELL ARE YOU GOING TO MATCH UP. Put up.
The point is that they are not matching up anyway. The defense cannot get much worse than it has been the last three games. At least another big might stop some of the hemmorhaging in the lane and might grab a couple of boards.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-16-2006, 05:19 PM
oh my god

Tony pulled a groin muscle?

Someone on our team must have pissed on the alter of the basketball gods, cuz shit just keeps flowing all over us now.

FromWayDowntown
05-16-2006, 05:20 PM
I'm with polandprzem that it's way too early to think seriously about the off-season. Win Game 5 and who knows what happens. One game at a time and there are still games to be played.

With that said . . . .

I don't care what happens in this series, but get rid of Van Exel, Barry, Nazr, and Rasho for young, athetlic, players and someone who can defend and rebound effectively (if the Mavs didn't have Diop, I'd want him)

Van Exel is gone anyway -- he's said he's retiring.

I wonder about Horry and that notion, too.

The Spurs are over the cap and have limited cap exceptions to sign free agents. That leaves trades and, essentially, minimum contract types (who don't tend to be young, rare commodity kinds of players).

ploto
I think it has more to do with Pop getting pissed that everyone is questioning his small ball tactics when they are losing, especially by not rebounding at the end of games, and he is giving this as his excuse.

angel_luv
Pop said himself. With the exception of Game 2 when everyone was exhausted, the current line up has had us right in these games.

We can win if we find a way to get that last shot and block.

It can happen.

picnroll
05-16-2006, 05:21 PM
The point is that they are not matching up anyway. The defense cannot get much worse than it has been the last three games. At least another big might stop some of the hemmorhaging in the lane and might grab a couple of boards.

Give me matchups. Who plays Dirk? Nazr or Rasho? Great the Mavs will be in the penalty shooting FTs after the 1st minute of each quarter. Duncan? Great Duncan gets pulled away from the basket and if he looks at Dirk they call a double technical.

ducks
05-16-2006, 05:23 PM
I would not be shocked if the spurs win this series

eveyone thought this would be a close series

it is
game 2 was mavs
other then that it could have gone either way

I am not for starting completely over

ploto
05-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Pop said himself. With the exception of Game 2 when everyone was exhausted, the current line up has had us right in these games.

But the other line-up WON us game 1.

td4mvp21
05-16-2006, 05:28 PM
Van Exel is gone anyway -- he's said he's retiring.

I wonder about Horry and that notion, too.

The Spurs are over the cap and have limited cap exceptions to sign free agents. That leaves trades and, essentially, minimum contract types (who don't tend to be young, rare commodity kinds of players).

Yeah, I want Horry to stay. But, who would we get? I just want some big men with solid basketball IQs who can defend, rotate, and be aggressive. Barry has hit some big shots, but he's got his ring. Get some youth on this team!

angel_luv
05-16-2006, 05:32 PM
But the other line-up WON us game 1.

You know I love Rasho. This isn't about that.

It has been a long series. I don't mean the following at all facetiously.

What minutes/ numbers did our Bigs have in game one?

Since we did win Game One last minute on a prayer, I'm not sure what real case that makes for playing our bigs.

Extra Stout
05-16-2006, 05:36 PM
Give me matchups. Who plays Dirk? Nazr or Rasho? Great the Mavs will be in the penalty shooting FTs after the 1st minute of each quarter. Duncan? Great Duncan gets pulled away from the basket and if he looks at Dirk they call a double technical.
Bowen plays Dirk for the first three quarters. Duncan plays him in the fourth.

Spurs would prioritize keeping players out of the lane. If that means conceding more perimeter shots, so be it.

All this would be contingent upon competent play from Rasho. If the Spurs have to play small ball because their bigs suck too bad to get on the court, then they have no business beating Dallas anyway. If they did, they'd have to pray the Clippers didn't advance. And if somehow the Spurs got to the Finals, the Pistons would win in four routs.

picnroll
05-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Bowen plays Dirk for the first three quarters. Duncan plays him in the fourth.

Spurs would prioritize keeping players out of the lane. If that means conceding more perimeter shots, so be it.

All this would be contingent upon competent play from Rasho. If the Spurs have to play small ball because their bigs suck too bad to get on the court, then they have no business beating Dallas anyway. If they did, they'd have to pray the Clippers didn't advance. And if somehow the Spurs got to the Finals, the Pistons would win in four routs.
I have no clue what you just said about matchups. Okay Bowen is on Dirk. So whose covering Howard? Duncan? So you want Duncan to foul out in the first quarter? Certainly you're not putting Rasho on Howard I hope. Nobody could be that insane.

angel_luv
05-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Stats from Game 1

Rasho played 8:44 minutes. Nazr played 1:41. Rob played 32:56 minutes.

Rob had 5 points 9 rebounds and one steal, block, and assist.

Sho had two rebounds.

Nazr had 1 rebound.

ploto
05-16-2006, 05:44 PM
You know I love Rasho. This isn't about that.

It has been a long series. I don't mean the following at all facetiously.

What minutes/ numbers did our Bigs have in game one?

And we did win game one on a prayer, so I am not sure what real case that makes for the bigs.
The third quarter was the key to game 1. Dallas led by 6 at halftime after a first half with less play from the bigs and more small ball. The Dallas lead went from 6 to 1 in that quarter when we played 2 bigs the entire time. First Tim and Horry- then Rasho and Horry- then Tim and Rasho. 24 minutes of bigs-- 9 for Tim; 9 for Rob; 6 for Rasho. Turned that game around. If I remember correctly, the fourth quarter had a couple of minutes of small ball at the beginning, but ended with at least 8 or 9 minutes of Tim and Horry together. Rob played over 30 minutes that game and Tim over 40.

blaze89
05-16-2006, 05:46 PM

At the rate the Mavericks are shooting? If the jumpers weren't falling, OK clog the lane and dare them to shoot but it's not happening, from what I see.

Extra Stout
05-16-2006, 05:47 PM
I have no clue what you just said about matchups. Okay Bowen is on Dirk. So whose covering Howard? Duncan? So you want Duncan to foul out in the first quarter? Certainly you're not putting Rasho on Howard I hope. Nobody could be that insane.

Indeed Duncan covers Howard. And no, he won't foul out in the first quarter. Duncan has guarded better players than Howard without getting in foul trouble, even if he gives up a lot of points. If Howard scores 30 on him, so be it. It's certainly better than having the Maverick guards go for 30 each and drawing a dozen fouls because there's nobody to keep them out of the lane.

The Spurs are going to have to give up something. What they're doing now is giving up everything.

ploto
05-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Stats from Game 1

Rasho played 8:44 minutes. Nazr played 1:41. Rob played 32:56 minutes.

Rob had 5 points 9 rebounds and one steal, block, and assist.

Sho had two rebounds.

Nazr had 1 rebound.
Add in Tim and you have 85 minutes out of 96 for bigs.

Last night: 51 minutes of bigs in regulation
Game 3: 54 minutes

Phenomanul
Get Finley more involved in Game 5... run some plays for him..

angel_luv
The third quarter was the key to game 1. Dallas led by 6 at halftime after a first half with less play from the bigs and more small ball. The Dallas lead went from 6 to 1 in that quarter when we played 2 bigs the entire time. First Tim and Horry- then Rasho and Horry- then Tim and Rasho. 24 minutes of bigs-- 9 for Tim; 9 for Rob; 6 for Rasho. Turned that game around. If I remember correctly, the fourth quarter had a couple of minutes of small ball at the beginning, but ended with at least 8 or 9 minutes of Tim and Horry together. Rob played over 30 minutes that game and Tim over 40.

With these gosh awful, I don't think our bigs, can make enough of a long term difference in this particular series.

That is not to discount any of the Bigs heart or effort, but I think we need to let Timmy ( with the occasional big sub for rest) and the guards handle this round.

Extra Stout
At the rate the Mavericks are shooting? If the jumpers weren't falling, OK clog the lane and dare them to shoot but it's not happening, from what I see.
Jumpers are more difficult than either layups or free throws, which is where the Mavericks are doing the bulk of their damage now.

Now if the officials are going to call fouls whenever jump shooters get breathed upon, all this is academic.

ploto
05-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Get Finley more involved in Game 5... run some plays for him..
Finley gets his best shots off of screens-- who do you propose sets those screens??

angel_luv
05-16-2006, 05:50 PM
Add in Tim and you have 85 minutes out of 96 for bigs.

Last night: 51 minutes of bigs in regulation
Game 3: 54 minutes

I only left Tim out because obviously we are going to play him.

ploto
05-16-2006, 05:51 PM
That is not to discount any of the Bigs heart or effort, but I think we need to let Timmy ( with the occasional big sub for rest) and the guards handle this round.
Because it's working so well.

Winnipeg_Spur
05-16-2006, 05:52 PM
I liked when Pop said something like it was clear that the smalls can't get away with the stuff the bigs do. I thought that was a nice little jab at Dampier.

angel_luv
05-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Because it's working so well.

Pop's explanation about playing smalls vs bigs was extentsive, proving to me that he and his staff give our lines up serious consideration before implementing them.

Pop has proven trustworthy in the past. I say we go with his game plan.

It's not like the majority of us have any play off coaching experience to go off of.

SequSpur
05-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Last time I checked the Scoreboard it said 3 to 1. Last time I checked the Spurs never played small ball in their 3 championship runs. Last time I checked the Spurs haven't played small ball all year long except against Sacramento. Last time I checked the Spurs always got it done with 2 bigs.

So whose fucking fault is that?

Greg Popovich.

Scoreboard 3 to 1. What fucking series are you all watching?

Extra Stout
05-16-2006, 05:56 PM
On the radio, Pop's explanation about playing smalls vs bigs was extentsive, proving to me that he and his staff give our lines up serious consideration before implementing them.

Pop has proven trustworthy in the past. I say we go with his game plan.
Pop may well be correct that the Spurs' best chance is to continue with the small lineup.

If that's the Spurs' best lineup, though, then Dallas is obviously a better team.

angel_luv
05-16-2006, 05:57 PM
To be fair though Ploto- what game plan would you suggest?

Seriously.

SequSpur
05-16-2006, 05:57 PM
What you have to realize is that this is a match up nightmare for the Spurs. There are not many athletic big men out there that can play with Dirk and a few others.

in the words of Bruce Bowen, "it is what it is".

Why wasn't this matchup difficult in years past? Maybe because the Spurs dictated tempo and defense? I recall a couple of bigs playing in years past.

3 to 1, it is what it is.

Pop's a fucking fool.

angel_luv
05-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Pop may well be correct that the Spurs' best chance is to continue with the small lineup.

If that's the Spurs' best lineup, though, then Dallas is obviously a better team.

You guys talk like the Spurs have gotten blown out all series.

I know it is frustrating to lose, but some perspective please.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-16-2006, 05:58 PM
It would be a complete idiot move to switch the line up back to normal after sticking with the small ball this long.

Maybe if we had 2 more games until elimination, we could try that. But we can't with our backs against the wall.

No matter how shitty any of us think the refs are, no matter how bad anything could possibly be, we were still in a position to win both games 3 and 4 when it came down to it.

And small ball put is in that position.
I hate small ball, but will embrace it for game 5. I have to.

Winnipeg_Spur
05-16-2006, 06:00 PM
Why wasn't this matchup difficult in years past? Maybe because the Spurs dictated tempo and defense? I recall a couple of bigs playing in years past.

3 to 1, it is what it is.

Pop's a fucking fool.
In the past I don't think Harris, Terry, Howard and Dirk were all starting and putting a big on any of those players in not the best option. If Griffin were still getting consistent minutes the matchups wouldn't be so brutal.

Extra Stout
05-16-2006, 06:03 PM
You guys talk like the Spurs have gotten blown out all series.

I know it is frustrating to lose, but some perspective please.
Do you seriously believe the Spurs could win 3 straight games playing this way? This is a team that has won by getting stops, not by having to hit 13 straight clutch shots to have a chance to win maybe by 2.

SequSpur
05-16-2006, 06:04 PM
In the past I don't think Harris, Terry, Howard and Dirk were all starting and putting a big on any of those players in not the best option. If Griffin were still getting consistent minutes the matchups wouldn't be so brutal.

Well, see you at the lake! :)

Rick Von Braun
05-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Indeed Duncan covers Howard. And no, he won't foul out in the first quarter. Duncan has guarded better players than Howard without getting in foul trouble, even if he gives up a lot of points. If Howard scores 30 on him, so be it. It's certainly better than having the Maverick guards go for 30 each and drawing a dozen fouls because there's nobody to keep them out of the lane.

The Spurs are going to have to give up something. What they're doing now is giving up everything.

I agree with Extra Stout. We have tried small ball, and it has obviously not worked as expected.

It is quite clear... the main problem has been rebounding and defense, in particular in the paint. What is the obvious way to solve this?

Size in the frontcourt. Protect the paint at all costs, make Dallas a jumpshoting team, fight for rebounds and live with it.

A couple of things I would like to see:

- Play TP, Manu, and Duncan at least 37 min/game. Like Kenny Smith and Barkley said, Manu must play starter minutes... it is do or die now. Ride the fucking horses that brought you to the WCF.

- Start Rasho or Oberto. If the latter, match him up with Dirk. He is mobile enough to follow him on the perimeter and long enough to bothered his shot. Rasho on the perimeter is a little more complicated, but could be done. If he doesn't respond, try Bowen on Dirk, and put Duncan on Howard.

- Do not play NVE. I repeat, do not play NVE. Play Beno if TP needs a breather, but for christsakes, do not play NVE.

- Play Rasho, Oberto and Horry more. I don't trust Nazr, but you should go with the other frontcourt players. We need two tall guys in the paint at all times. Size is important.

- Consider using a zone defense, to prevent penetrations and improve rebounding. Make Dallas an exterior jumpshooting team. If they beat you from the outside, shake hands and move on.

If we have to lose this series, fine, but at least go down fighting in Spurs's style... tough hard-nosed defense, not this gimmick crap.

Pop, it is time that you make Dallas adjust to the Spurs personnel, not the other way around.

P.S.: Do not play NVE.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-16-2006, 06:24 PM
omg are yall not listening ot ticket 760 right now>>

they're giving away tickets who can answer:

Manu's birth city

IN ORDER WHO DID THE SPURS BEAT FOR THE ROAD TO THE NBA 2003 CHAMPIONSHIP

NOONE CAN GET PAST PHOENIX

FUCKING IDIOTS

Cant_Be_Faded
05-16-2006, 06:28 PM
they rapped it up with what does Robert Horry's former teams + his championships equal

DDS4
05-16-2006, 06:33 PM
omg are yall not listening ot ticket 760 right now>>

they're giving away tickets who can answer:

Manu's birth city

IN ORDER WHO DID THE SPURS BEAT FOR THE ROAD TO THE NBA 2003 CHAMPIONSHIP

NOONE CAN GET PAST PHOENIX

FUCKING IDIOTS

Are you serious?

Cant_Be_Faded
05-16-2006, 06:35 PM
yes 5 or 6 people got it wrong not even getting past phoenix

SPARKY
05-16-2006, 06:39 PM
I don't believe the offense would suffer that much with Rasho. He'd have to hit a J or two. Defensively he could protect the rim and board better than what the Spurs have seen in this series.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Rebounds, rebounds, rebounds.

All we needed was one rebound to tie up game 3 and 4. But maybe if we had a bigger body in there it would not come to 1 rebound?

It's all stipulation. If Pop changes his lineup when the spurs are against the wall, I just don't think it bodes well at all.

jamezyjamez
05-16-2006, 06:41 PM
oh my god

Tony pulled a groin muscle?

Someone on our team must have pissed on the alter of the basketball gods, cuz shit just keeps flowing all over us now.

Hopefully Eva pulled it...at least he goes home happy, win or lose.

T Park
05-16-2006, 06:42 PM
I don't believe the offense would suffer that much with Rasho. He'd have to hit a J or two. Defensively he could protect the rim and board better than what the Spurs have seen in this series.

it has come to this.

Marcus is asking for Rasho :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
05-16-2006, 06:44 PM
--->insert trainwreck I SEE picture here<---

ploto
05-16-2006, 07:53 PM
One thing you always have to keep in mind about the Pop Show is that it is often the vehicle for PR and "popoganda." Pop has no qualms whatsoever about boldly lying on this show. He has no problem asserting the Spurs are not trying to make a trade all the while they are working diligently to trade Brent or Malik. He will say that the Spurs would have signed Devin if Finley had not come, when that is not even close to the truth, but sounds good and can't really be disproven. I would not be a bit surprised to see less small ball tomorrow night- given Pop's apparent long explanation and justification for it. ;)

ploto
05-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Would this be the same Pop who said this about Rasho only 2 weeks ago??

"Rasho is doing a good job rebounding, running the sets, and he understands what we want to do," Popovich said.

DubMcDub
05-16-2006, 08:19 PM
for pop to even talk that much about officiating says a lot. I have never heard him say a thing ever about officiating before.

And yet he said absolutely nothing about the officiating yet again. He only spoke of it indirectly ("things we can't control"), which he frequently does.

I find it quite hilarious how you are hearing him say things that he hasn't even approached commenting upon.

picnroll
05-16-2006, 08:31 PM
Did you hear the show DubMcDub? Did you hear the comment about the legitimacy of the foul on Bowen where Dirk made the FTs to tie the game in regulation or the sequence about the bogus make up blocking call on Duncan? No? Didn't think so.

angel_luv
05-16-2006, 08:43 PM
Took a dinner break. :fro

Do you seriously believe the Spurs could win 3 straight games playing this way? This is a team that has won by getting stops, not by having to hit 13 straight clutch shots to have a chance to win maybe by 2.

I understand your concern and that this is one of those judgement call times.
Maybe you are correct that we need a radical change. But it could also be that best hope of winning is to keep momentum by staying true the plan we've already put into motion.

Regardless, it seems we are going to have to win playing small since this is the line up Coach Pop is using.

DubMcDub
05-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Did you hear the show DubMcDub? Did you hear the comment about the legitimacy of the foul on Bowen where Dirk made the FTs to tie the game in regulation or the sequence about the bogus make up blocking call on Duncan? No? Didn't think so.

Yes I heard both comments. Yes I listened to the show.

Thanks for asking the question then answering for me, though. I wasn't aware you were so in tune as to what I listen to and do not listen to.

picnroll
05-16-2006, 08:48 PM
then you know this
And yet he said absolutely nothing about the officiating yet again. He only spoke of it indirectly ("things we can't control"), which he frequently does. is BS.

DubMcDub
05-16-2006, 08:49 PM
then you know this is BS.

No, i know that, as always, he stuck to indirect comment and critique, which is what classy coaches like him do.

Thank god your coach doesn't sink to the pathetic level some of you do. I've yet to see him shed a tear on the podium.

baseline bum
05-16-2006, 08:55 PM

The Spurs tried to trade Nesterrible to Dallas for Tariq Abdul Wahad and got shot down. He's going to be in the black and silver until 2008, when his expiring contract might make good trade bait. I doubt we ever see Mohammed play another minute in a Spurs jersey.

weebo
05-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Nazr sucks ass and Rasho is right there with him...they're both gutless...good riddance to both of them

spur4life
05-16-2006, 09:35 PM

Hell!! I have heard this before....if we play with a center must duncan guard nowitzki? can't he guard someone else & let our center take nowitzki's fouls? I think this team is self-destructing. The bottom line is we don't have to have the center on the court for 48 mins (we never do anyways, even during the season, since we play duncan & horry sometimes). so why not mix it all up? In fact, pop is making things easy for avery johnson by being so predictable with his small lineups.....it is so sad!!

bigzak25
05-16-2006, 09:37 PM
Free Nazr! put him on dirk. let dirk get his points from the outside instead of the stripe.

peskypesky
05-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Free Nazr! put him on dirk. let dirk get his points from the outside instead of the stripe.

Exactly. Make Dirk shoot over and around the 7-footers (Rasho & Nazr), not over guards. If he blows past the center, that's what help defense is all about.

Even if Dirk racks up the points (as Amare did last year), we have to close down the lanes and stop the freakin' layups!!!!

Some rebounds would be nice too!

LakerHater
05-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Exactly. Make Dirk shoot over and around the 7-footers (Rasho & Nazr), not over guards. If he blows past the center, that's what help defense is all about.

Even if Dirk racks up the points (as Amare did last year), we have to close down the lanes and stop the freakin' layups!!!!

Some rebounds would be nice too! exactly!! let 'em use those 6 fouls Pop wasn't gonna play 'em anyway

Spurologist
05-16-2006, 10:37 PM
missed it. Is there a link to the show.

ducks
05-18-2006, 04:12 PM
http://www.ticket760.com/cc-common/podcast.html
url for pop show in case people missed it yesterday

zeleni
05-18-2006, 04:31 PM
thanks, ducks...but...

it doesn't work.

ducks