PDA

View Full Version : Bender sits out practice with sore knee

ducks
10-09-2004, 09:33 PM
Bender sits out practice with sore knee
By HANK LOWENKRON, AP Sports Writer
October 8, 2004

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Throughout his NBA career, Jonathan Bender has been slowed by injuries. As his Indiana Pacers teammates finished practice Friday, there he was again, just sitting and watching.

The 7-foot Bender hurt his knee about three weeks ago in a pickup game.

``There have been some residual effects from it. It is one of those bone bruises that takes a while to heal,'' coach Rick Carlisle said.

Bender, who made the jump to the NBA out of high school, knows all about healing. Injuries have kept him out of more than 100 games in five seasons, including last year when he missed the first 39 games due to offseason surgery on his left knee and then nine more games with a shoulder injury.

Bender worked hard on his conditioning during the offseason with trainer Macki Shillstone in New Orleans to prepare for training camp. He hoped that the departure of Al Harrington in a trade with Atlanta would increase playing time, and he gained about 15-20 pounds and increased his lower body strength.

``I had to work a lot with my legs, get them stronger to support my knees,'' said Bender, who gives the Pacers another option outside after shooting nearly 41 percent from 3-point range last season.

``As long as I stay healthy and stay in there, I'll play,'' he said.

Carlisle said the latest injury isn't serious.

``The good news is it is going to be fine. The bad news is that he has a little bit of swelling when he does a lot of running,'' Carlisle said. ``We're trying to monitor his situation so that he can get ready to plan and not get into a situation where he's too sore. Right now I think we're OK.''

Bender may not be ready when the Pacers begin exhibition play on Monday against Washington in nearby Muncie. But he's optimistic he'll be fine when the regular season begins Nov. 3 in Cleveland.

``He's done well. He had a good summer. He worked hard,'' Carlisle said.

The Pacers compiled the league's best record last season (61-21), while getting to the Eastern Conference finals before losing to eventual NBA champion Detroit in six games.

The nucleus of that team is back and Bender is impressed by what he's seen since camp began this week.

``Everybody is in shape and everybody is doing well. Everybody has improved,'' he said. ``We all worked hard in the offseason.''

Austin Croshere, another key reserve, could gain more playing time this season with the departure of Harrington.

``His natural position is to play the shooting power forward,'' Carlisle said of the 6-10, 242-pound seven-year veteran. ``He causes real matchup problems for other teams at the offensive end. Because Al is not here there's an opportunity to get more minutes.''

Carlisle goes into the season expecting to have the same five starters he used for much of last season with All-Star forwards Jermaine O'Neal and Ron Artest, the NBA's defensive player of the year, along with Reggie Miller and Jamaal Tinsley at guard and Jeff Foster at center.

``They all have an opportunity. They're going to decide who plays,'' Carlisle said. ``They'll decide by how they practice and how they'll play in exhibitions.''