PDA

View Full Version : Mahinmi to the rescue?

ducks
05-16-2006, 05:19 PM
forget rasho and nazr
can not sign the fa draft him

:fro

Kori Ellis
05-16-2006, 05:20 PM
He won't be ready next year by all accounts.

They should probably bring in Javtokas.

strangeweather
05-16-2006, 05:23 PM
Javtokas, Sanikidze, Scola. I'm all for bringing in some new blood.

picnroll
05-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Can Mahinmi be any worse than Nazr or Rasho? If Javtokas can't move a lot faster than those two and isn't a lot smarter than Nazr Spurs are fucked again next year if he's plan A, B and C. Kind of like counting on Quicksand as the backup PG this year.

ALVAREZ6
05-16-2006, 05:29 PM
I want the Spurs to get a solid back up SF, and out of the big men, only bring back TD and Horry, that's if Horry doesn't retire.

If he does, then possibly keep Rasho, but screw Nazr. Bring in a guy that can score the ball download. Other than Tim, all of the Spurs scoring comes from guards. Manu, Tim, Finley, Barry...they are the ones doing the rest of the scoring. The Spurs rely on the perimeter a lot.

I want to see another guy that can score downlow. When Tim is resting, we need someone to go to in the paint. Scola wouldn't be a bad option, but with his buyout and you are never sure if his game is going to translate.

Can Javtokas score?

Bruno
05-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Some news about Mahinmi :
He received the award for best young player in france (not a lot of concurence).
He played the first playoff game of the season : 14pts/5rbds/12min.
He was dominant but in foul trouble and missed some Ft at the end of the game (his team lost).

As Kori said, he won't be ready for next year : Javtokas and Scola are the only euros who can contribute next year.

Without giving up on the season (I still believe), the state of the Spurs for the next season is quite pathetic outside the big four (TD, manu, TP, Bowen):
- Finley hasn't made a bad season but he is what he is : a great shooter who is an average defender/rebounder.
- Nazr and Rasho have been very disapointing : they aren't starting material.
- NVE will retire.
- Pop doesn't trust Beno.
- Barry is average, too old and redundant with Finley
- Horry has made a bad season so far and will be 36 for the playoff next year.
- Oberto plays with heart but is a very limited player.

We will need for next year :
- a reliable backup PG
- a 4th SG/SF that is a better fit with Manu/Bowen/Finley : an athletic player or/and a long SF.
- a new bigmen rotation and I'm not sure that Scola/Javtokas are enough to face the lack of good players behind TD.

coachmac87
05-16-2006, 05:43 PM
ok...our back up pg next is going to be speedy claxton right it down on paper...and i think they get rid of rasho in a trade with chicago for nocioni or sumone for a big man...and possibly scola can get out of his contract and play with the spurs...barry could be traded for jr smith....horry is stayin one more year and they resign nazr and peace out marks

picnroll
05-16-2006, 05:43 PM
Pop, Buford and Presti better do some quick thinking. They can't be wasting the Duncan years.

ducks
05-16-2006, 05:45 PM
i think they get rid of rasho in a trade with chicago for nocioni

you need to put down the pipe dream

leemajors
05-16-2006, 05:45 PM
if scola comes over and can be a decent low post threat we should be ok. from what i have seen heard, javtokas will not be an answer on offense but can rebound and defend. those are both things we need. the offense suffers a bit when tim leaves and becomes totally dependent on the perimeter. we also need a serviceable backup pg who is a decent defender. beno has a long way to go.

ducks
05-16-2006, 05:47 PM
beno is going to be in his 3 year
he should be alot better next year
if not he might as well get the boot

blackbucket
05-16-2006, 05:48 PM
i think they get rid of rasho in a trade with chicago for nocioni

you need to put down the pipe dream

:lol Ducks rocks

coachmac87
05-16-2006, 05:48 PM
im dead serious...about rasho and chicago....the talks came up...name a big man besides tyson chandler...they are desperate and rasho can do better in the east...i mean i never thought chicago would try to ship out ben gordon....but dont think chicago wouldnt consider a big man and maybe a guard like barry or beno for nocioni

Bruno
05-16-2006, 05:49 PM
And we shouln't forget that Spurs will try to avoid to pay the luxury tax.
We paid it this year and if we don't get a great result in the playoff, I doubt that Holt will be ready to pay it next year.

To sum up : we will have a lot of holes, not a lot of money to spend and not a lot a good trade assets. Our front office is great but thye will face a difficult task.

coachmac87
05-16-2006, 05:49 PM
speddy claxton has said he wants back in sa...hes quick and he saved tonys ass in the finals...if he stays healthy big pick up by spurs..beno still a number 3 pg on this team

Kori Ellis
05-16-2006, 05:50 PM
To sum up : we will have a lot of holes, not a lot of money to spend and not a lot a good trade assets. Our front office is great but thye will face a difficult task.

That's why I think Javtokas will be here over Scola. A cheaper, bigger, better defender.

Extra Stout
05-16-2006, 05:51 PM
It's probably going to be a two-year project. There will be lots of new faces next year.

leemajors
And we shouln't forget that Spurs will try to avoid to pay the luxury tax.
We paid it this year and if we don't get a great result in the playoff, I doubt that Holt will be ready to pay it next year.

we do have decent trade bait, but the pieces are not necessarily ones we want to trade away... ^_^

Extra Stout
That's why I think Javtokas will be here over Scola. A cheaper, bigger, better defender.
Plus, I don't think Scola solves their problems. He's undersized and not a great rebounder.

ducks
05-16-2006, 05:54 PM
scola + beno for nocioni

I wish

ploto
And cheaper by far than Nazr.

picnroll
speddy claxton has said he wants back in sa...hes quick and he saved tonys ass in the finals...if he stays healthy big pick up by spurs..beno still a number 3 pg on this team
Speedy has said he wants to be in three or four places including staying in NO which probably means he's looking for the best paycheck.

Bruno
05-16-2006, 05:56 PM

I'm higher too on Javtokas, Scola is a 6'9" post player and it won't be easy for him in nba.

However, Javtokas won't be enough to wolve our bigmen troubles.
A rookie (Javtokas), a 36 year old player who won't contribute a lot during the regular season (Horry) and a sophomore who was barrelly a nba player in his rookie year (Oberto) is a very poor bench and even more if your starting center (Rasho if we keep him) is a 20 mpg player who has tons and tons of bad matchups.

picnroll
05-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Are the World Championships before or after the deadline to sign Scola? A real good showing, particulary against the USA, might drive up his trade value.

Tobias
05-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Beg NOLA to revisit the Barry-Smith trade

Extra Stout
05-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Next year, 54-28.

ducks
05-16-2006, 06:00 PM
Beg NOLA to revisit the Barry-Smith trade

and rasho for pj brown top

nazr goes to the bulls
spurs would be fine :smokin

coachmac87
05-16-2006, 06:01 PM
ya but when they last played the spurs in sa speedy says he misses the fun hes had and that he left sa for a bad reason to start in gs but van exel took his spot...then he got shipped to no for baron davis...hes fine not starting..especially with a contender...and trust me we could use some more quickness

Bruno
05-16-2006, 06:01 PM
we do have decent trade bait, but the pieces are not necessarily ones we want to trade away... ^_^

I disagree.
We won't trade TD, TP, Manu, Bruce, Finley and Horry for obvious reasons.

Then we have : an overpaid center (Rasho), a 35 years old player with a quite big contract (Barry) and a young backup PG (Udrih).
Udrih has a little trade value but not Rasho and Barry.
We have too same late first round picks and rights to some euros : nothing great.

Extra Stout
05-16-2006, 06:04 PM
and rasho for pj brown top

nazr goes to the bulls
spurs would be fine :smokinPJ Brown definitely fits the need to get younger.

ploto
05-16-2006, 06:05 PM
PJ Brown definitely fits the need to get younger.
:lol

picnroll
05-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Barry hs value as a shooter and leadership quality, good lockeroom guy. He can probably be moved but not for a lot unless the Spurs are willing to go out on a longer contract for him which is unlikley. He was nearly moved for JR Smith.

Somebody may be interested in Beno primarily for his shooting ability, but again he won't bring much.

ducks
05-16-2006, 06:10 PM
:lol

pjhas one year left on his contract
mahinmi would be ready then
:fro

coachmac87
05-16-2006, 06:11 PM
nazr is a decent center he can score shoot fts and rebounds off the ass...prolly should play next game...but he needs to learn how to catch

SenorSpur
05-16-2006, 06:15 PM

Anyone have any personal stats of Javtokas?

Personally, I'd love to see the Spurs invest in a young, seasoned NBA-ready player to help on the wing and the perimeter. Someone like a Gerald Wallace or a Luol Deng.

This series has exposed our weakness for defending the quicker, athletic, wing players. It's time we moved away from the strictly older, spot-up only shooter types. It's OK to have a couple, but we absolutely MUST get younger on the permieter.

Need rebounding and defense on the back line too.

picnroll
05-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Question on Javtokas for those that have seen him much. Are his hands any better than Nazr? Please let them be better.

Bruno
05-16-2006, 06:17 PM
^^ I know for the Barry trade but when you look more closely and even if it was a great deal for us we don't get a lot of thing :
- JR Smith is full of upside but he is a poor defender, he has a bad attiutde and is a very low percentage scorer.
- Macijauskas sucks and is overpaid (still $5M/2 years left on his contract this summer).

The only way we to improve our team is to take some risks and to gamble on players like Darius Miles, Chandler or Dalembert.

And on a side note (it doesn't deserve a thread) : Romain Sato has signed for the spanish Playoff with Barcelona, one of the top team in europe. I'm really curious to see what he will do against good opponents : was he a bust or wasn't he nba ready ?

picnroll
05-16-2006, 06:22 PM
There is some young athleticism out there, like Q Woods, that's a risk but there are players available

coachmac87
05-16-2006, 06:24 PM
wow i go crazy if the spurs had the oppurtunity to get deng....but i doubt it i think chicago likes him more than nocinoi who play the same position...so i think they have to get rid of rasho...too much money on him..and i hear people sayin nazr is trash i honestly dont think so and i think he can start with us...the only reason he didnt be so effective this season is casue he had family issues in camp giving him no pt in the start of the season...but i think i can live wih him maybe if we gave him sum stick em hell be good..hes a solid finisher at the rim

SenorSpur
05-16-2006, 06:24 PM
^^ I know for the Barry trade but when you look more closely and even if it was a great deal for us we don't get a lot of thing :
- JR Smith is full of upside but he is a poor defender, he has a bad attiutde and is a very low percentage scorer.
- Macijauskas sucks and is overpaid (still $5M/2 years left on his contract this summer).

Hell, I'd go back to New Orleans and make that trade again.

Bruno
05-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Hell, I'd go back to New Orleans and make that trade again.

Me too, but this trade trade won't make us way better.

coachmac87
05-16-2006, 06:30 PM
i think jr smith would be a solid pick up..he is crazy athletic was int he dunk contest...and he can shoot the 3 ball like crazy...only thing is that he is still sooo young and that could possibly lead him to pops dog house and he will be in and out of rotation...but if he gets his act togther he is a "super potential" player

exstatic
05-16-2006, 06:45 PM
Funny, I had heard Deng was the one they might shop of Deng/Noccioni. They definitely need to move one of them to fill holes, since they play the same position.

If you can get JR Smith, you DO it. His attitude can't be worse than DMiles, and he makes about 1/10th the Benjamins. His defense should be at least as good as Finley or Barry, he's a high wire act, and he shot 40% from downtown.

Nazr is history. He may be the worst big man to get minutes since I started following the Spurs. He'll either be allowed to walk, or possibly used to expand the N.O trade. Rasho can stay or go. He has good hands, sets monster picks, and generally doesn't do anything stupid.

coachmac87
05-16-2006, 06:50 PM
see i think ur wrong about nazr....i think it was him who dropped 31 and 18 against the spurs this season..and did great in the 1st game of the playoffs with 18pts... rasho cant do that ya right...hes solid but wont give u much...nazr is one of the best rebounders in the leauge per 48 min look at the stats...ull be surprised

T Park
05-16-2006, 06:51 PM
Sign and trade Mohammed,Beno, Barry for Deng Mike Sweetney.

ALVAREZ6
05-16-2006, 06:52 PM
I really hope this off season goes well.

I'm over this series. I just want the Spurs to seriously evaluate what this series has showed them, and take actions.

Next year the Spurs need:
- a whole new mentality. screw having the whole roster loaded with old vets with experience. It wasn't a bad idea, but once you run into a young, athletic team in the playoffs with a lot of scoring options, you are screwed.

- keep either finley or barry, not both. Acquire a big man that can score the ball in the post. We only have 1 post player, other than Tim, all of the scoring comes from the guard position.

- An athletic SF, has a well rounded game. It wouldn't help having another guy who can rebound the ball. I would like to see a SF that is around the 6'8" mark and can be physical in rebounding.

- A reliable PG. NVE + Beno....hit the road. But imaybe not so much Beno, I'm not too convinced that he needs to leave because he has barely played this year. I don't even remember how the dude plays, all I know is he can hit the 3 ball.

Kori Ellis
05-16-2006, 06:53 PM
Why would the Bulls give away Deng?

I think the only way they do that is if they are getting a superstar (KG) and are using him in a package.

coachmac87
05-16-2006, 06:53 PM

sweetney is trash....put rasho in that equation and ill like that better...nazr is a better player than rasho and deng is sumthin special...one of the best in between game in the leage behind rip...and hes big

coachmac87
05-16-2006, 06:54 PM
man wouldnt tim thomas look good in a spur uni right about now!!!

SenorSpur
05-16-2006, 06:58 PM

No.

I would suggest two separate trades:

1. Sign and trade with Chicago - Nazr for either Deng or Nocioni (and whatever else it takes to make the dollars work).

2. Resume the trade with New Orleans. Barry for J.R. Smith and Macijauskas.

If the Spurs could come away with both Deng and Smith, they would be in good shape.

Make no mistake about it. The Mavs aren't going anywhere. In fact, if they resign Jason Terry over the offseason, which they'd be foolish not to, there is every indication that they are going to get better. They have a young, athletic core group of guys.

exstatic
05-16-2006, 07:02 PM
Me too, but this trade trade won't make us way better.

It makes us better in a 34/20 sense...Barry is 34 and JR Smith is 20.

ALVAREZ6
05-16-2006, 07:02 PM
man wouldnt tim thomas look good in a spur uni right about now!!!
I like Tim Thomas.

He does a little bit of everything.

He is the quicker, more coordinated version of Robert Horry.

coachmac87
05-16-2006, 07:04 PM
ya too bad phx got him and we didnt...

Bruno
05-16-2006, 07:07 PM
Sign and trade with Chicago - Nazr for either Deng or Nocioni (and whatever else it takes to make the dollars work).

Unrealistic trade, Bulls don't need to do a S&T with Nazr. They will be under the cap.

SPARKY
05-16-2006, 07:07 PM
The Spurs have plenty of options this summer. Scola and/or Javtokas could be brought in. I think Mahinmi spends one more season in Europe. Sanikidze might be given a shot. They'll have their MLE and with Mohammed a FA (S&T?) and NO still interested in moving Smith there are some attractive options.

ducks
05-16-2006, 07:22 PM
scola will want the full mle and that my friend will be why he will get traded

coachmac87
05-16-2006, 07:27 PM
ya i dont see scola in a spur uni....but man wasnt oberto a waste of time or what...people actually thought he would be more important to the team than finley...spurs need a good sf...too many guards on the team...