PDA

View Full Version : Question to Pistons Fans

LakeShow
05-16-2006, 08:59 PM
I've had this discussion with a couple of posters and I would like to know your opinion on this subject,

Would you trade Rasheed Wallace for Dirk Nowitzki and why?

Does Dirk, in your opinion, have more Heart than Wallace?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
05-16-2006, 09:02 PM
No and no.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-16-2006, 09:03 PM
omg this has to be a joke

LakeShow
05-16-2006, 09:07 PM
To me it is ridiculous. I personally do not believe it and I would be willing to bet that Avery would make that trade in a heartbeat.

Pistons < Spurs
05-16-2006, 09:11 PM
NO WAY IN HELL

Darrin
05-16-2006, 09:34 PM
I've had this discussion with a couple of posters and I would like to know your opinion on this subject,

Age is the only criteria that makes me think about this. The answer is no. There's no way that Nowitzki does what Rasheed Wallace is asked to do for this team. He's their fuel. People see the GuaranSheed's as useless showmanship, but as Scoop Jackson has said, "Rasheed gives the Pistons an id. As in id, ego, and superego." That's his leadership role. The Pistons were a finely-tuned engine before he got here, but they had no idea where they were going.

Also, Ben Wallace has his best affect on this team when he acts as a security blanket for the rest of the defense. Rasheed Wallace's biggest impact around here is on the defensive end. If you watched the Pistons with any regularity before he got here, he's a comination of the roles that Zeljko Rebraca and Cliff Robinson provided. He plays man defense on the best player on the opposing team's frontline and that allows Big Ben to roam. By no means am I saying that Ben Wallace can't guard. People read this and usually assume that I'm saying he's ineffective as a one-on-one defender. It's just that it's a waste of the human eraser to make him a pencil?

Offensively, he's the team's best post option. I've seen his shots missed, but never blocked man-on-man. He's, for my money, a top-3 post player in the league today. I miss it when he used to be smarter about setting up his 3-point shooting, but he's the best in the business 6-10 and higher. Having a post option that can flair to the corner is a mis-match nightmare.

People bitch about his lack of presence in the post, but he almost never faces a double-team, and that's because of his long-range shot. Brand gets doubled catching the ball from 18-out. Teams do that to Rasheed and he shoots over them. He has such a high release, it's incredible.

Dirk Nowitzki posts up like a guard. When the Mavs isolate on him, it is usually just on the right side of the floor. Rasheed can work both sides. When they isolate, don't be fooled by his size. Imagine another big making that move, and the first guys that will come to mind played small forward or shooting guard.

The Pistons had someone similar in Memo Okur, and they struggled to defend the frontlines of the Pacers and Spurs. The Pistons started doubling on Duncan with Rip Hamilton because he had the footspeed to recover on Bruce Bowen. It would really make the Pistons defense less effective.

They would be younger, and Dirk playing unselfishly wouldn't be criticized in this town. But Rasheed is asked to stay in one spot, 10 feet around the rim. Guard Duncan, guard Shaq. Free up Big Ben to guard the basket and generally disrupt offensive options for the opposition. I can't see Dirk Nowitzki in that role.

Kevin Garnett - now that's another story all together.

Brutalis
05-16-2006, 09:48 PM
If Detroit turned down that offer they would be just as stupid as the season ticket holders making asses of themselves at every home game.

FreshPrince22
05-16-2006, 10:10 PM
ehhh... no. Having a go-to guy would be tempting. But Dirk is the anti-sheed when it comes to 2 of Sheed's greatest qualities (Post Defense and Locker Room presence). Both are crucial to the Pistons' success.

JamStone
05-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Rasheed is my favorite Pistons player, but YES I would trade Rasheed for Dirk.

bdubya
05-16-2006, 10:14 PM
If Detroit turned down that offer they would be just as stupid as the season ticket holders making asses of themselves at every home game.

Y'know, if the Spurs don't show up for the Finals rematch we're hoping for, at least we'll get to read YOU crying and wailing about it.

Dunc
05-16-2006, 10:27 PM
^:lmao

Dunc
05-16-2006, 10:28 PM
My answer to this question is a no. Sheed is a Piston, hopefully for life. I'll take the good with the bad when it comes to Sheed.

LakeShow
05-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Rasheed is my favorite Pistons player, but YES I would trade Rasheed for Dirk.

Okay, tell me why?

JamStone
05-16-2006, 11:52 PM
I think Dirk is a better player than Rasheed. Simple as that. I think the Pistons team would find a way to work him into the team without hurting the chemistry. Dirk is a better scorer and a better rebounder than Rasheed. While he is not the defender Rasheed is, I think the other Pistons players are good enough to not only help him but to make him better defensively. He's younger than Rasheed and he'll be better for longer. I think this group of Pistons can compete for NBA titles for maybe 2 years, at most 4 years. With Dirk, I think the Pistons can compete for titles for the next 5 years and maybe more.

The only thing that would concern me is the contract and how much money he makes. I don't know how much more he makes than Rasheed or how many years he has left. But, if that is not a factor, then I make the trade.

freedom&justice
05-17-2006, 02:31 AM

Absolutely not.
And no, I don't think Dirk has more heart than Rasheed.

DarkReign
05-17-2006, 07:53 AM
No.

KG for Sheed and picks? Hell yes.

:madrun about the Darko/Sheed/1st rounder for KG.