PDA

View Full Version : Agent: Stojakovic wants to stay in Indiana

ducks
05-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Agent: Stojakovic wants to stay in Indiana
Agent: Stojakovic wants to stay in Indiana

By CLIFF BRUNT, Associated Press Writer
May 16, 2006

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Peja Stojakovic believes he and Jermaine O'Neal could be cornerstones for the Indiana Pacers.

But first Stojakovic and his new team need to agree on a contract.

ADVERTISEMENT

Stojakovic came to Indiana from Sacramento in a midseason trade for Ron Artest. He wants to stay, even though he'll officially become a free agent next month, his agent David Bauman said.

"There's no question Peja was happy in Indiana," Bauman said. "He would like to re-sign, and he would like to finish his career as a Pacer."

Pacers president Larry Bird has said keeping the 28-year-old Stojakovic is a priority. The 6-foot-10 forward averaged 19.5 points in 40 regular-season games after the trade.

"We wants to do what's best for the franchise," Bird said recently. "Hopefully, we can get a deal done with him."

Bauman said Stojakovic and O'Neal could become one of the best inside-outside tandems in the league.

O'Neal averaged 20.1 points and 9.3 rebounds this season, playing hurt during much of the second half. Stojakovic, an eight-year veteran, has career averages of 18.4 points and 5.1 rebounds.

"He thinks that with him and Jermaine ... they can build around them," Bauman said.

But Stojakovic also missed 11 games this season and 16 last season because of injuries, including a protruding disc in his lower back, a sprained right pinkie finger and a strained groin. He missed four of Indiana's six playoff games with a sore right knee as the Pacers lost in the first round to New Jersey.

Still, Bauman said he left a meeting with Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh feeling confident the Pacers would try to get a deal done.

"We're making a lot of phone calls, but he asked me to give the Pacers every opportunity to re-sign him. If the Pacers do what they say they're going to do, that should happen."

Stojakovic had an early termination clause in his six-year contract that allowed him to choose after the fifth year whether to finish the contract or become a free agent. His current contract would pay him $8.125 million next season.

atxrocker
05-16-2006, 11:21 PM
good for peja. hopefully he can heal during the summer and shoot those beautiful 3s in regular form again next season.

RON ARTEST
05-17-2006, 12:13 AM
good for peja. hopefully he can heal during the summer and shoot those beautiful 3s in regular form again next season.
i cant wait until pacer fans realize he is the anti clutch.

Rip-Hamilton32
05-17-2006, 06:42 PM
lol anti clutch...reggie or peja..who has the better shooting touch? of course people are going to say reggie but 18 years in the league shooting 3s most of your career i think any body could shoot with that much accuracy..if peja sticks around for 18 seaons he could do it to

baseline bum
05-18-2006, 02:04 AM
You don't pay a guy big dollars when he ca't play in the postseason. I'd start Danny Granger over that choker any time. Peja is starting to become another Van Horn.

RON ARTEST
05-18-2006, 03:24 AM
lol anti clutch...reggie or peja..who has the better shooting touch? of course people are going to say reggie but 18 years in the league shooting 3s most of your career i think any body could shoot with that much accuracy..if peja sticks around for 18 seaons he could do it to
i think peja is the better shooter. but not in the second half of games. or the playoffs. other then that hes pretty good. :lol

Rip-Hamilton32
05-18-2006, 11:02 AM
lol yeah reggie lost his touch in his last few seasons..and then the tayshaun block that pretty much ended his playoff hopes, and ended his career, non the less hes still great...peja did missed alot of games this season so you never know maybe the kings could have got past the first round if he played the full season and playoffs with him..getting to know his style and him getting to know theres

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-19-2006, 02:51 AM
lol yeah reggie lost his touch in his last few seasons..and then the tayshaun block that pretty much ended his playoff hopes, and ended his career, non the less hes still great...peja did missed alot of games this season so you never know maybe the kings could have got past the first round if he played the full season and playoffs with him..getting to know his style and him getting to know theres
Peja has the access to keep working on his shooting game with Larry Bird though.

No doubt, Peja's gonna be a solid shooter for them. His threes are one of the cleanest shots to look at...too bad he has a past of disappearing on the biggest stage but he's the kind of player that can give the Pacers 15-20+ points a night for the regular season at least. :lol Nah, Peja's a good player.

I think the Kings as a whole choked against the Lakers regardless...

I wouldn't have mind getting Peja to fill in spots as one of the Spurs' Shooters...his game is pretty solid.

RON ARTEST
05-19-2006, 03:21 AM
Peja has the access to keep working on his shooting game with Larry Bird though.

No doubt, Peja's gonna be a solid shooter for them. His threes are one of the cleanest shots to look at...too bad he has a past of disappearing on the biggest stage but he's the kind of player that can give the Pacers 15-20+ points a night for the regular season at least. :lol Nah, Peja's a good player.

I think the Kings as a whole choked against the Lakers regardless...

I wouldn't have mind getting Peja to fill in spots as one of the Spurs' Shooters...his game is pretty solid.
as a whole they did choke in 2002. but if thats the only time he choked then i wouldnt talk about him the way i do.

RON ARTEST
05-19-2006, 03:23 AM
no trust me. the games he played you can tell he wasnt even trying. thats why i dont respect him. he hasnt played well since his husband vlade left and it made me sick. its not just the playoffs either. its the second half of almost every game.

RON ARTEST
05-19-2006, 03:25 AM
if he came off the bench like barry and finley do and get open looks from duncan. :wow :wow they would never lose. but thats only if he plays the first half. otherwise forget it.