PDA

View Full Version : Project Ideas

E20
05-17-2006, 12:06 AM
I have to do a project for my History class. I can either pick an important event in the Vietnam war or I can choose to pick the Greatest American. I'm gonna pick the second one. Any ideas who should I pick as the Greatest American? I'm thinking Lincoln.

timvp
05-17-2006, 12:08 AM
Dirk Bavetta.

spurs=bling
05-17-2006, 12:10 AM
Dirk Bavetta.
:lol
how about David Stern?

Pistons < Spurs
05-17-2006, 12:11 AM
Sounds like it could be a fun project.

I'll go with someone a little bit outside the box:

Walt Disney

ashbeeigh
05-17-2006, 12:15 AM
Strom Thurmon. No, seriously. Dorthea Dix. I think she was America.

NASpurs
05-17-2006, 12:20 AM
maxpower for the invention of the Quattro thread

ashbeeigh
05-17-2006, 12:21 AM
maxpower for the invention of the Quattro thread

I don't think that would fly, nor could you find the mandatory three to five sources he may need for the A.

Jekka
05-17-2006, 12:23 AM
I have to do a project for my History class. I can either pick an important event in the Vietnam war or I can choose to pick the Greatest American. I'm gonna pick the second one. Any ideas who should I pick as the Greatest American? I'm thinking Lincoln.

Lincoln's so conventional though - you should do a project on someone like Geronimo.

Trainwreck2100
05-17-2006, 12:25 AM

Stan Lee

Pistons < Spurs
05-17-2006, 12:27 AM
Lincoln's so conventional though

Exactly. I can see tons of people choosing Lincoln or Washington or Jefferson. I'd try to be a little origional.

Trainwreck2100
05-17-2006, 12:35 AM
Exactly. I can see tons of people choosing Lincoln or Washington or Jefferson. I'd try to be a little origional.

Don't forget MLK

E20
05-17-2006, 12:36 AM
True. Lincoln would be an easy way out. I was also considering:

FDR
Kennedy
Fredreick Douglass
MLK
John Smith
Benjamin Franklin

Jekka
05-17-2006, 12:38 AM
I would do a project on Roberta Blackgoat just to include this picture because she's so awesome -

http://www.geocities.com/redroadcollective/BWRobertaBlackGoat.jpg

Mark Twain would be fun to work on, too.

NASpurs
05-17-2006, 12:39 AM
True. Lincoln would be an easy way out. I was also considering:

FDR
Kennedy
Fredreick Douglass
MLK
John Smith
Benjamin Franklinum... if they have a school or a street named after them, then don't choose them. That's my advice.

E20
05-17-2006, 12:46 AM
I'll look at all my options before I finally choose, I have until the 26th to do so. A good challenge would be Lyndon Johnson or maybe Henry Clay.

Jekka
05-17-2006, 12:51 AM
I've noticed that almost all the possibilities you've brought up have been white men, with the exception of MLK Jr and Douglass. You might consider branching out a little - not just because it will look better with the project, but also because it wouldn't be a bad idea to learn more about other people that have contributed a lot to American history. Just a suggestion.

Vashner
05-17-2006, 01:05 AM
Does it have to be greatest? That's shallow.. Great American's...

Lincoln would not want to be known as that. He was a man with flaws and that's the way I like my Presidents...

Besides he way too much like Bush breaking laws, detaining people, spying etc. He was not warm to ending Slavery either till it became an issue of the Union. It's not like he was a life long abolitionist. That came later.

Try someone that's a true American..

like Pappy Boyington..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pappy_Boyington

E20
05-17-2006, 01:41 AM
I've noticed that almost all the possibilities you've brought up have been white men, with the exception of MLK Jr and Douglass. You might consider branching out a little - not just because it will look better with the project, but also because it wouldn't be a bad idea to learn more about other people that have contributed a lot to American history. Just a suggestion.
Yeah, the project is you impersonate the person and you persuade why should you be labeled as the greatest American.
If it weren't like that I would have included:

Elenaor
Rosa Parks
Harriet Tubman
Mary B Anthony
Elizabeth Stanton
Pochohantoes. :lol

1Parker1
05-17-2006, 08:35 AM
George W.

:lol Sorry, couldn't resist.

Pistons < Spurs
05-17-2006, 08:49 AM
George W.

:lol Sorry, couldn't resist.

lol don't laugh....according to the Discovery Channel and their "100 Greatest Americans" show, G W B was considered the 6th greatest.

Vizzini
05-17-2006, 09:14 AM
lol don't laugh....according to the Discovery Channel and their "100 Greatest Americans" show, G W B was considered the 6th greatest.

WTF? Politics aside, how can they come to that conclusion when he is still in office? He can still affect his standing, positive or negative, so he should be excluded from the list until his time in control is up. For him to be on that list while he can still change his legacy is absurd.

BTW, Here are a few I would consider for the project:
*just b/c I would consider them doesn't mean I have positive feelings for what they did

Bill Gates
Steve Jobs
Henry Ford
Ronald Reagan
Sam Walton
Steven Speilberg
Lucille Ball
Ray Kroc
Oprah
Tom Hanks

midgetonadonkey
05-17-2006, 09:15 AM
Steve Guttenburg is the greatest American.

http://www.movieactors.com/freezeframes-12/ShortCircuit4.jpeg

1Parker1
05-17-2006, 09:24 AM
Steven Spielberg would be cool, as would Oprah (Even though she's starting to get on my nerves :oops)

IceColdBrewski
05-17-2006, 09:27 AM
Whatever you decided to go with, just make sure it's a topic that you find interesting. The worst thing you can do on projects like this is pick someone (or something) that bores you to death.

j-6
05-17-2006, 09:27 AM
John Wooden.

1Parker1
05-17-2006, 09:43 AM
I got it!! Michael Jordan....or Michael Jackson depending on your taste :)

Vashner
05-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Or do paper on David Robinson.. :) (not actually a bad idea)

Fucking slackers don't like Pappy.. he's fucked up.. that's what makes him great American.

Vizzini
05-17-2006, 10:03 AM
I got it!! Michael Jordan....or Michael Jackson depending on your taste :)

I would consider Michael Jackson's influence on music during the '80s as some good criteria, but you just can't seperate that period of time from the rest of his f'ed up life. Michael Jordan would be good, if you focused more on how he changed advertising and endorsing through out the world, than just his sheer excellence on the court. This thread has really got me thinking, so here are a few more I would do:

Muhammad Ali
Joe Louis
John D. Rockefeller
Alfred Hitchcock
Johnny Carson
Howard Stern
Billy Graham
Bob Dylan

1Parker1
05-17-2006, 10:44 AM
:lol So you think anyone in the class will pick the first topic?

TimothyLeary
05-17-2006, 10:51 AM
What about an in depth look into the psychedelic world?

ShoogarBear
05-17-2006, 10:53 AM
It can only be one of two choices:

Kevin Bacon or Vida Guerra.

Vizzini
05-17-2006, 11:04 AM
It can only be one of two choices:

Kevin Bacon or Vida Guerra.

I was going to suggest Kevin Bacon, so it is good to know I'm not the only one. As for Vida, I will withhold judgement until I see her in next months Playboy.

E20
05-17-2006, 06:36 PM
I was going to suggest Kevin Bacon, so it is good to know I'm not the only one. As for Vida, I will withhold judgement until I see her in next months Playboy.
She's doing playboy????? :elephant :elephant

JoePublic
05-17-2006, 06:48 PM
She's doing playboy????? :elephant :elephant

Get out!!!!

Vizzini
05-17-2006, 11:08 PM
I shit you not. She will be in July's edition. The back page of this Playboy has a pic, It looks like it should be good.