PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Heart of a champion? Something to believe

Kori Ellis
05-17-2006, 12:14 AM
Buck Harvey: Heart of a champion? Something to believe

Web Posted: 05/17/2006 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051706.1C.COL.BKNharvey.spurs.178079f5.html

I believe bad calls happen to good people.

I believe Mark Cuban had nothing to do with either game in Dallas. He doesn't intimidate refs; he irritates them. If anything, the officials should want to make sure they don't have to see Cuban in another round.

I believe conspiracy talk is both fun and fiction. David Stern will celebrate the elimination of the small market that has eroded his TV ratings over the last number of years, but the sentiment doesn't seep to the game itself.

And I believe something else. I believe the Spurs, right or wrong, are seething. They think they should be coming home with the series tied, at worst, and they think others have stopped this from happening.

Unlike other teams who have faced historic deficits in the playoffs, the Spurs don't feel beaten as much as they feel abused.

How do teams come from 3-1 down?

I believe this is how.

Anger isn't enough for the Spurs. They need to find their poise, which they didn't have at the end of both games in Dallas. They've made more mistakes than the refs have.

They need to quit feeling victimized, too. From the beginning of these playoffs, when they found a stronger-than-an-eighth-seed in Sacramento, they've been expecting something to go wrong.

The Mavericks, in contrast, keep reacting as if the next bounce will be theirs. It's in their body language as well as their jumpers. When Jason Terry backed up on Tim Duncan in overtime Monday night, coolly arcing a shot as if in practice, he looked like a man who knew life was on his side.

The Spurs need to change this, too. They need to make the Mavericks tighten, and that begins tonight.

I believe in odds, too, and I understand what the Spurs face. Only about 5 percent of teams have come back to win a series when down by a 3-1 deficit. These numbers are worse than Fab Oberto's free-throw numbers.

But the details of the past skew the odds. There's a reason a team loses three of the first four games in a playoff series and is eventually eliminated. The other team is usually better.

Even the rare comebacks don't accurately describe what is going on in this series. An example of that was this very month, when Phoenix put together only the eighth such 3-1 comeback in NBA history.

The Suns were equally frustrated with the officiating in that series. But that's where the similarities end. The Suns were the second seed, the Lakers the seventh. The Suns were clearly the better team and should have responded.

The Spurs and Mavericks are even, which is why a series I covered a quarter of a century ago for a Boston newspaper is a better measure. Then the Celtics and the Sixers — two 60-game winners who chased each other all season within the same division — met in the 1981 Eastern Conference finals.

The Celtics had home-court advantage, as the Spurs did, then went down 3-1, which the Spurs have done. The Celtics, however, didn't come as close in Philadelphia as the Spurs did in Dallas.

The Celtics trailed late in Game 5, and tonight won't be easy for the Spurs, either. The Mavericks, still on a roll, will feel better about themselves in this game than they would in either of the next two.

But the Spurs won 63 games this season; winning a home game is not too much to ask. And the Celtics relied on the same logic. They came back to edge the Sixers in Game 5, and then something happened that carried over to that critical Game 6.

All emotions changed. The Celtics became the ones with nothing to lose. The Sixers, feeling pressure for the first time, tightened at home knowing they couldn't return to Boston for a Game 7.

At this point technical adjustments don't mean as much as emotional ones. This is what Rudy Tomjanovich played into in 1995, when the heart-of-a-champion Rockets came from 3-1 down to beat Phoenix.

Will it be the same for the Spurs? The odds say no.

But can the Spurs win a home game tonight? Can they then go back to Dallas, where they were within two plays of winning two games, and steal one? If that happens, how will the Mavericks feel about coming back to San Antonio for a Game 7?

I believe it can happen.

Because I've seen it before.

Leetonidas
05-17-2006, 12:18 AM
Good article. The Mavs don't have the momentum in their favor. The Spurs are going to get this win no matter what, and that's the bottom line.

timvp
05-17-2006, 12:23 AM
Buck is biting on my style.

Shank
05-17-2006, 12:35 AM
Fluff piece.

THE SIXTH MAN
05-17-2006, 12:37 AM
wow that makes me want to run through a wall!!! If that doesn't get you ready for game five, I don't know what will.

ca®lo
05-17-2006, 12:47 AM
damnit lets get it on with GAME 5!!!!!

GO SPURS GO!!!!!!!!!!

J.T.
05-17-2006, 01:28 AM
:tu

Step 1: Get Game 5.

rayray2k8
05-17-2006, 01:37 AM
But the Spurs won 63 games this season; winning a home game is not too much to ask. And the Celtics relied on the same logic. They came back to edge the Sixers in Game 5, and then something happened that carried over to that critical Game 6.

Thats all it comes down to..
Do you wanna lose on your floor?
The answer is no.
I believe the spurs can win game 5, but dallas will look to close
out the spurs.
Man I feel a nail-biter at hand. But I feel this is a good one, for us.
Lets take care of home fellas!!
GO SPURS GO!!! :flag: :elephant :clap

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-17-2006, 02:17 AM
Horry was part of that Houston team too. :flag:

whottt
05-17-2006, 02:35 AM
Too bad Horry won't see the court...

And didn't Buck pick us to lose in 03 and 05?

LEONARD
05-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Good article. The Mavs don't have the momentum in their favor. The Spurs are going to get this win no matter what, and that's the bottom line.

Only a Spurs fan could turn 3 straight losses into somehow having the momentum :smokin

Too bad Horry won't see the court...

And didn't Buck pick us to lose in 03 and 05?

LOL...

FromWayDowntown
05-17-2006, 12:21 PM
The sentiment is the right one from the Spurs standpoint. All you can do tonight is get one. But getting one might change some things. Until you get one, you can't get two. So focus on getting one, on playing well and eliminating distractions. Get one and see what happens. It's all they can do.

KingsFanWithoutName
05-17-2006, 12:25 PM

San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051706.1C.COL.BKNharvey.spurs.178079f5.html

I believe Mark Cuban had nothing to do with either game in Dallas. He doesn't intimidate refs; he irritates them. If anything, the officials should want to make sure they don't have to see Cuban in another round.

Now if only the rest of the Spurstalk Nation were as level headed as this guy. He wouldn't even have to post in the venting thread :lol

leemajors
05-17-2006, 01:03 PM
Fluff piece.

Fluff post.

fyatuk
05-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Only a Spurs fan could turn 3 straight losses into somehow having the momentum :smokin

They didn't say the Spurs had momentum, they said the Mavs don't. Big difference.

mabber
05-17-2006, 01:14 PM

San Antonio Express-News

I believe conspiracy talk is both fun and fiction. David Stern will celebrate the elimination of the small market that has eroded his TV ratings over the last number of years, but the sentiment doesn't seep to the game itself.

And I believe something else. I believe the Spurs, right or wrong, are seething. They think they should be coming home with the series tied, at worst, and they think others have stopped this from happening.

Unlike other teams who have faced historic deficits in the playoffs, the Spurs don't feel beaten as much as they feel abused.

How do teams come from 3-1 down?

I believe this is how.

Anger isn't enough for the Spurs. They need to find their poise, which they didn't have at the end of both games in Dallas. They've made more mistakes than the refs have.

They need to quit feeling victimized, too. From the beginning of these playoffs, when they found a stronger-than-an-eighth-seed in Sacramento, they've been expecting something to go wrong.

The Mavericks, in contrast, keep reacting as if the next bounce will be theirs. It's in their body language as well as their jumpers. When Jason Terry backed up on Tim Duncan in overtime Monday night, coolly arcing a shot as if in practice, he looked like a man who knew life was on his side.

The Spurs need to change this, too. They need to make the Mavericks tighten, and that begins tonight.

I believe in odds, too, and I understand what the Spurs face. Only about 5 percent of teams have come back to win a series when down by a 3-1 deficit. These numbers are worse than Fab Oberto's free-throw numbers.

But the details of the past skew the odds. There's a reason a team loses three of the first four games in a playoff series and is eventually eliminated. The other team is usually better.

Even the rare comebacks don't accurately describe what is going on in this series. An example of that was this very month, when Phoenix put together only the eighth such 3-1 comeback in NBA history.

The Suns were equally frustrated with the officiating in that series. But that's where the similarities end. The Suns were the second seed, the Lakers the seventh. The Suns were clearly the better team and should have responded.

The Spurs and Mavericks are even, which is why a series I covered a quarter of a century ago for a Boston newspaper is a better measure. Then the Celtics and the Sixers — two 60-game winners who chased each other all season within the same division — met in the 1981 Eastern Conference finals.

The Celtics had home-court advantage, as the Spurs did, then went down 3-1, which the Spurs have done. The Celtics, however, didn't come as close in Philadelphia as the Spurs did in Dallas.

The Celtics trailed late in Game 5, and tonight won't be easy for the Spurs, either. The Mavericks, still on a roll, will feel better about themselves in this game than they would in either of the next two.

All emotions changed. The Celtics became the ones with nothing to lose. The Sixers, feeling pressure for the first time, tightened at home knowing they couldn't return to Boston for a Game 7.

At this point technical adjustments don't mean as much as emotional ones. This is what Rudy Tomjanovich played into in 1995, when the heart-of-a-champion Rockets came from 3-1 down to beat Phoenix.

Will it be the same for the Spurs? The odds say no.

But can the Spurs win a home game tonight? Can they then go back to Dallas, where they were within two plays of winning two games, and steal one? If that happens, how will the Mavericks feel about coming back to San Antonio for a Game 7?

I believe it can happen.

Because I've seen it before.

Good article. I recall that Celtic/Sixer series in 1981 very well as I had just moved to Dallas from Boston (via Phily 2 years earlier) before my sr.year in high school and was very much into that series (pulling for Celtics). What fun...Larry Bird vs. Julius Erving. It's a decent comparison cuz those teams were basically equal. Nothing would surprise me in this Mav/Spur series just cuz I've been around long enough to have seen most all scenarios play out.

Go Mavs!

LEONARD
05-17-2006, 01:15 PM
They didn't say the Spurs had momentum, they said the Mavs don't. Big difference.

I either can't read or he edited his post to correct what he meant to say just seconds before I replied... :drunk

leemajors
05-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Good article. I recall that Celtic/Sixer series in 1981 very well as I had just moved to Dallas from Boston (via Phily 2 years earlier) before my sr.year in high school and was very much into that series (pulling for Celtics). What fun...Larry Bird vs. Julius Erving. It's a decent comparison cuz those teams were basically equal. Nothing would surprise me in this Mav/Spur series just cuz I've been around long enough to have seen most all scenarios play out.

Go Mavs!

good post yourself, it must have been awesome to see that series in 81, i was only 4 at the time ;( stick around after the series!

mabber
05-17-2006, 01:21 PM
good post yourself, it must have been awesome to see that series in 81, i was only 4 at the time ;( stick around after the series!

Yes, I'm old (43), I lived in Boston when they drafted Larry Bird 1979. :oops
I used to go see the Celtics play at the old Boston Garden all the time. That place was cool but very uncomfortable (hot) late in season and in the playoffs cuz there was no A/C.