PDA

View Full Version : THE OFFICIAL: Get J. R. Smith and Ian Mahinmi Thread

Doc Jerome
05-17-2006, 02:59 AM
I know the season isn't over yet, but I want to start the lobbying campaign NOW.
If the Hornets still want to rid themselves of Smith, Spurs should take him. Explore all possibilities to acquire the young kid at 6'6 220 lb, with athletic legs and good NBA experience; I don't know what happened to sour Byron Scott on this kid, but he can play. Afterall, they pinned the hopes of their franchise on him at one time.

Spurs need only to bring Iam Mahinmi over during the offseason to begin his preparation. Yes, he is raw and lacks some offensive skills; but Spurs don't need him to showcase great offensive skills. All he has to do is rebound, run the floor, and use that youthful athleticism to alter or block shots. He will get points on putbacks and hustle/effort plays. Baptism by fire is this guys destiny; just learn as you go. If Spurs drafted him in the 1st round, that alone warrents confidence that he will have the aptitude and drive to do just fine.

Besides, Rasho only gives Spurs 4.5 ppg with Nazr contributing 6.2 ppg in the regular season; while those averages dip to 2.8 ppg and 4.5 ppg respectively in the post season. I can't see Ian doing any worse than any one of them on offense and I think the Spurs defense would be a lot better with these two YOUNG ATHLETIC STUDDS in the mix.

As far as rebounding goes:
OFF DEF TOT
Rasho gets 1.40 2.40 3.90
Nazr gets 2.00 3.20 5.20

I know a young athletic guy like Ian can do as good as, or better than, any one of those totals or both combined.

Bottom line, . . . the Spurs have glaring needs, and these are 2 players that are seemingly within their grasp for next season. Ian can only benefit by coming over now, and there is no player on the radar that fits the bill better right now; especially with no 1st round pick.

Stay Tuned, . . . :fro

Hillcrest
05-17-2006, 03:10 AM
I have to admit that the prospect of that does excite me.

Doc Jerome
05-17-2006, 03:14 AM
Yeah, just wait. If Spurs do this, the complexion of the team changes immediately.

sghspurs
05-17-2006, 03:51 AM
i kinda like the sound of that too

sghspurs
05-17-2006, 03:52 AM
Ian also has a great attitude and is willing to work hard and contribute to the team in any way possible. spurs would be really exiting to watch too.

Doc Jerome
05-17-2006, 03:55 AM
Ian also has a great attitude and is willing to work hard and contribute to the team in any way possible. spurs would be really exiting to watch too.

All the more reason to pull the trigger on this. :fro

objective
05-17-2006, 04:24 AM
Ian can only benefit by coming over now, and there is no player on the radar that fits the bill better right now;

Javtokas is ready right now and I think can perform much better than Mahinmi at this point in time.

He's 6'10.5", blocks shot, dunks hard, rebounds well and I think will be better at center for the Spurs than Rasho or Nazr have been.

Mahinmi may have just been voted as the best young player in the french league twice in the last week, but Javtokas has been an MVP and performed at a high level in the euroleague. In the top 16 round of the euroleage (6 games) he was 2nd in rebounding and 1st in blocks.

He's ready to bring it right now. Mahinmi on the other hand will be more like Johan Petro this last year. That's no knock since he's still very young, but I'd take Javtokas first.

JLH Fans
05-17-2006, 05:51 AM
Javtokas is ready right now and I think can perform much better than Mahinmi at this point in time.

He's 6'10.5", blocks shot, dunks hard, rebounds well and I think will be better at center for the Spurs than Rasho or Nazr have been.

Mahinmi may have just been voted as the best young player in the french league twice in the last week, but Javtokas has been an MVP and performed at a high level in the euroleague. In the top 16 round of the euroleage (6 games) he was 2nd in rebounding and 1st in blocks.

He's ready to bring it right now. Mahinmi on the other hand will be more like Johan Petro this last year. That's no knock since he's still very young, but I'd take Javtokas first.

Yes Javtokas will be fine,but Ian...he need at least 2 more years to be ready for the NBA,

intlspurshk
05-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Why JR Smith? If we look for defense, why not Jared Javies (spelling?) of Wizard or Michael Pietrus (spelling?) of GS?

SenorSpur
05-17-2006, 07:45 AM
Why JR Smith? If we look for defense, why not Jared Javies (spelling?) of Wizard or Michael Pietrus (spelling?) of GS?

GS has made resigning Pietrus a priority. I don't think he'll hit the market.

ObiwanGinobili
05-17-2006, 07:50 AM
Yeah, just wait. If Spurs do this, the complexion of the team changes immediately.

what? they will have acne problems from all the young guys?

ObiwanGinobili
05-17-2006, 07:51 AM
Doc - seriously tho, I'm ready to get on board with this idea.

Parker 09
05-17-2006, 07:51 AM
I think JR smith would be a good acisition but i javtokas would be a much better option for the spurs he is available now he is a solid NBA ready player.
Ian has s**tload of potential but needs to mature in Europe for at least another season.
Rumour has it he has been signed by the same team Diaw and various other have played for in the top euro league he mature their and then we bring him over

DFW Spurs
05-17-2006, 08:18 AM
Negative.. Get Ben Wallace, and pick up someone who can hit a clutch shot...

SenorSpur
05-17-2006, 08:40 AM

I hoipe that's a joke. Detroit aint lettin' Ben go anywhere.

Doc Jerome
05-17-2006, 08:45 AM
GS has made resigning Pietrus a priority. I don't think he'll hit the market.

Jeffries may not want to be a Spur, let alone take less money to become one. I may be wrong, 'cause you never say never in this business. :fro

Doc Jerome
05-17-2006, 09:11 AM

Yes, I hear good things about Javtokas from fans here; however, how old is he and is he athletic enough? Spurs are being killed consistently on the boards, and a lot of that has to do with the 2 big slow slugs they have at the Center position. They don't need another big slow Center. I've not seen Javtokas, so I must reserve that judgement for later. I have seen a couple of clips on Ian, and he looks quick and very athletic. That is why I am advocating baptism by fire; I believe he will rise to the level of competition. :fro

Doc Jerome
05-17-2006, 09:13 AM

Ben Wallace is either going to stay put, or go home to Chicago.

Doc Jerome
05-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Doc - seriously tho, I'm ready to get on board with this idea.

Considering the prospects out there, this is very doable, and it improves the team by providing youth, athleticism, and upgrades team defense and rebounding.

objective
05-17-2006, 12:44 PM
however, how old is he and is he athletic enough? Spurs are being killed consistently on the boards, and a lot of that has to do with the 2 big slow slugs they have at the Center position.

Javtokas is 26. He is athletic enough that he will bring the alley-oops back to the Spurs offense that have been missing since Robinson retired. Like the Duncan-to-Center alley-oop. He can't jump like he used to before the accident but he can jump better than Rasho and Oberto that's for sure. He can run the floor.

Here's some highight videos from his team's site. He's number 15. He has about 4 plays in the euroleague comp and 4 or so in the ULEB cup one.

http://bc.lrytas.lt/media/lrytas2005.wmv

http://bc.lrytas.lt/media/2005 UlebCup Final.wmv

Here is some links to some large photos

http://bc.lrytas.lt/img/gallery/big_183.jpg

http://bc.lrytas.lt/img/gallery/big_185.jpg

http://bc.lrytas.lt/img/gallery/big_172.jpg

http://bc.lrytas.lt/img/gallery/big_132.jpg

http://bc.lrytas.lt/img/gallery/big_136.jpg

http://bc.lrytas.lt/img/gallery/big_112.jpg

ducks
05-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Mahinmi is already spurs property
they do not need to trade for him

Kori Ellis
05-17-2006, 12:49 PM
Good idea, but I think the Spurs don't think Mahinmi is ready for the NBA yet.

I think we'll probably see Javtokas and Sanikidze next season and Mahinmi not until the following season.

But I guess we'll get a better idea soon. Hopefully both Sanikidze and Mahinmi will be able to play in summer league.

ploto
05-17-2006, 01:05 PM
Ian is one, probably two years away. Spurs completely believe in guys getting their playing experience in Europe- look at Manu.

I don't get all the hype over JR Smith- like he has been so great for New Orleans? All he has been is a total pain in the ass.

TDMVPDPOY
05-17-2006, 01:07 PM
wOW that 1st clip, last minute had a few scenes of scola spinnin down low td style for the jam

objective
05-17-2006, 01:07 PM
JR Smith isn't big enough to solve the Spurs wing issues

Phenomanul
05-17-2006, 01:20 PM
I'd rather go after Dwight Howard or Chris Bosh.... Both fans of Duncan and Robinson....

clubalien
05-17-2006, 04:57 PM
I think
going from davis>tim>ian
is great we are blessed with three great MVP big men
I think ian will come over 2 years from now

i think jav comes over next season to a NBA champ time like spurs and might start

you think with him here we will be able to run the high and low again likewhen david was here?

clubalien
05-17-2006, 04:59 PM
I was saying we should have gone after ron artest, ofcourse that didn;t work out.

Bruno
05-17-2006, 05:01 PM
Mahinmi last summer at SA :
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/3527/bowenian3ef5nf.jpg

Doc Jerome
05-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Javtokas is 26. He is athletic enough that he will bring the alley-oops back to the Spurs offense that have been missing since Robinson retired. Like the Duncan-to-Center alley-oop. He can't jump like he used to before the accident but he can jump better than Rasho and Oberto that's for sure. He can run the floor.

I saw the pix, he looks the part; but I have a Mac and the windows media player does not come up. I can check out Quicktime movies if they are available.

If they can, Spurs should bring both Javtokas and Mahinmi over for next season.

Doc Jerome
05-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Bruno, that is a great picture. Ian needs to be in Spurs training camp.

Doc Jerome
05-17-2006, 06:13 PM
I don't get all the hype over JR Smith- like he has been so great for New Orleans? All he has been is a total pain in the ass.

I watched most of the Hornets training camp when JR was a rookie. Everyone in the organization was very high on him. I do not know what went wrong to sour all the good sentiment, but that does not negate the fact that he is still very young and a great basketball talent. He'll be going into his 3rd year in the League, so he is poised to make his mark with 2 years already under his belt. Also, the change in environment will do him some good, especially coming to a championship caliber organization.

objective
05-17-2006, 06:16 PM
i think jav comes over next season to a NBA champ time like spurs and might start

you think with him here we will be able to run the high and low again likewhen david was here?

yes on the high-low question.

ObiwanGinobili
05-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Mahinmi last summer at SA :
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/3527/bowenian3ef5nf.jpg

:wow :wow :makeout :oops

Doc Jerome
05-17-2006, 06:21 PM
Ian is one, probably two years away. Spurs completely believe in guys getting their playing experience in Europe- look at Manu.

Manu's position is diffferent, 'cause the Spurs needed skilled players with a certain refined depth to their game because of the Shaq/Kobe Lakers. The situation or times dictated how the organization make those decisions. Ian can already rebound, run, play defense and jump very high. At this point, that is better than what both current Centers can do. Spurs can only help Ian develop faster; hence, "baptism by fire."

Doc Jerome
05-17-2006, 06:30 PM

He's an athletic 2 and pending on the situation, may be able to freelance at the 3 spot. He would give the Spurs more athleticism and energy. With TD and Ian, the paint is secure.

exstatic
05-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Manu isn't going to last forever the way he plays. Smith is 20, a high wire act, and shoots 37% from downtown. Yeah, let's take a pass on that. :rolleyes

clubalien
05-17-2006, 06:45 PM
is the guy on the left bruce bowen or does he just look like him to me?

Doc Jerome
05-17-2006, 06:54 PM

That's Bruce.

exstatic
05-17-2006, 06:55 PM
It's Tim Duncan. Are you blind?

(WTF?)

clubalien
05-17-2006, 07:06 PM
I didn't know if it was a person that wanted his picture taken with ian or what. I looked and said hey thats bruce but then i was wondering maybe he wasn't

thanks for telling me though