PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 MVP Candidates

Kori Ellis
10-10-2004, 01:35 AM
Take 5: Top candidates to win NBA's MVP award

http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/sportstoryS1010TAKE5.htm

K.J. Johnson, who covers the Chicago Bulls for the Chicago Tribune, lists five players for FLORIDA TODAY that are most likely to walk away with league MVP honors this season:

1. Shaquille O'Neal, Miami. He has lost weight but gained hunger. Shaq has something to prove now that he's away from the bright lights of Los Angeles and the tension of Kobe Bryant. In a new conference, which is mostly center-deprived, look for Shaq to put up huge numbers and huge victory totals.

2. Tim Duncan, San Antonio. Mr. Fundamental might not be the most exciting player to watch. But his solid, stoic play rarely fails him, especially in big-game situations. Duncan also has the economical type of game that should allow him to rebound from a busy summer, which included an Olympic appearance. The Spurs improved themselves this offseason and a surprising playoff loss to the Lakers has left Duncan hungry.

3. Kevin Garnett, Minnesota. Forget the playoff collapses. Garnett remains the league's most versatile and dynamic player, able to change games in so many different ways and categories. He is a long-armed defender, a dominant rebounder and shot blocker and can score from so many spots on the court. Without O'Neal in the West, Garnett knows this is his best opportunity to get to the Finals.

4. Jermaine O'Neal, Pacers. O'Neal attacked an offseason workout regimen with intensity after Indiana's disappointing loss to Detroit in the conference finals. Since the always-combustible Ron Artest is always a tantrum away from losing it and Reggie Miller may retire, Indiana could look to O'Neal even more this season. He's ready for the challenge.

5. Peja Stojakovic, Sacramento. An offseason trade demand fell on deaf ears to the Maloof brothers, the team's owners. Stojakovic is too much of a pro to let it be a distraction. While his team could be on the decline, this sharp-shooter will be looking to make a statement, especially because he eventually wants to play elsewhere and wants to make a good impression.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-10-2004, 01:50 AM
I think I could argue Lebron James before Peja this season.

nzkickass
10-10-2004, 03:26 AM
i agree, i don't think peja will ever be close to winning MVP.
My pick is still shaq.

Kaster
10-10-2004, 03:43 AM
Peja belongs no where near MVP consideration. Insert Kobe and maybe Tmac instead of Jermaine, and you'd have your top 5 MVP candidates this season.

timvp
10-10-2004, 03:45 AM
I agree, Kevin Kaster. How the hell is Peja on that list and not Kobe? Kobe is going to average like 34 point per game.

MI21
10-10-2004, 04:47 AM
Agree with Kaster and timvp.

Peja and Jermaine belong no where near MVP Talk. Kobe should be there because of the stats he will put up. T-Mac to, if Houston go well and he does his usual 26/5/5 deal, he will get some talk for it.

xcoriate
10-10-2004, 05:10 AM
Yeah Peja for me is not quite there. You could make a case for Dirk as well. However I think Kobe is the most likely to contend in his now talent deprived team.

Sportcamper
10-10-2004, 05:38 PM
MVP... Duncan....Bryant...Garnett...McGrady...

Shaq- Has not stayed healthy for a full season in 2 years...

Peja- My favorite Euro... (Just not tough enough to be an NBA MVP) :lol

Brodels
10-10-2004, 05:43 PM
In no particular order:

Duncan, Garnett, Kobe, McGrady, and Dirk.

Dirk is going to have a monster season. Count on it.

fotsis50
10-10-2004, 06:15 PM
Shaq, Kobe, KG, Dirk, TD in no particular order.

1Parker1
10-10-2004, 07:17 PM
Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, KG, McGrady, in that order.

I have a strong feeling that Kobe is going to get it, just because of all the media hype and stuff he's gone through, and the fact that the others (minus McGrady) have already gotten MVP awards.

timvp
10-10-2004, 07:20 PM
Dirk is going to have a monster season. Count on it.

I won't count on it. Steve Nash was key in feeding Dirk the ball. Now that he's gone, I'm not sure that Devin Harris or Jason Terry will be able to find him in the right spots.

Plus, any team with Jerry Stackhouse won't be known for having an unselfish offensive attack.

ShoogarBear
10-10-2004, 07:27 PM
1-2. KG, TD: The top two, biggest factors against them will be they've already won the last three. The post-Olympic health curse will be working against Tim.

3 Kobe: will have the stats, but maybe not the wins.

4 Shaq: People forget how injury-prone he has been over his career. He hasn't played more than 67 games in the last three seasons and, not counting the lockout year, has seven seasons with less than 70 games. Maybe he has turned over a new leaf,health-wise, but maybe it's too late.

5. T-Mac. The wild card. If his health and attitude are improved, he's probably in a better position to get an MVP than Kobe ever was with Yao, since Yao and Gumby will probably defer to him.

The Pack: J O'Neal is he ever going to learn to shoot; also if Shaq trounces him head-to-head it'll be hard to support him. Dirk: is he ever going to play defense?, if not then just a taller Peja. LeBron: will have numbers and hype but also not the wins.

missmyzte
10-10-2004, 07:34 PM
My Top 5 Picks: Kobe, Duncan, Jermaine O'neal and, I reluctantly admit these last two, Shaq and KG.

Houston is Yao's team and with T-mac already complaining about his back hurting, I just don't think he has it in him. Peja is on the evil Kings team and has such a reputation as a choke artist that I can't see him getting an MVP. If Lebron wins then it's clearly fixed. *irk in *allas needs to discover what Defense is before he has a chance.

Phenomanul
10-12-2004, 08:32 AM
Would it be a reach to throw in Chauncey or Rip into the mix??

Spurminator
10-12-2004, 12:55 PM
This season will be all about Kobe vs. Shaq... whosever team has the better record/standing, that person will win (unless both end up in the Lottery, but that's probably wishful thinking).

tlongII
10-12-2004, 01:41 PM
Zach Randolph. He is going to put up HUGE numbers this year!

bigzak25
10-12-2004, 01:46 PM
3 man race. With the East, with that comp, it's Shaq's to lose.