PDA

View Full Version : Over The Air HDTV

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-10-2004, 02:39 AM
Has anybody ever tried to find this? I'd like to try it tomorrow since the Cowboys will be playing in HD on Fox.

Apparently, FOX says their digital channel is Channel 30, so how would I actually get that signal on my HDTV? Wouldn't I need my own box (other than the one not provided by Time Warner)?

I'm just not very up on video/TV things like that, so any help would be appreciated.

Kori Ellis
10-10-2004, 02:42 AM
I think that you need a HD antenna on your roof to pick up the HD channels that aren't included in your package.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-10-2004, 02:44 AM
Damnit.

Thanks, Kori.

Kori Ellis
10-10-2004, 02:47 AM
I'm not positive. But I think that's the deal.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-10-2004, 02:50 AM
Well, I always have to remind my parents to use the HDTV when there's programming on. They're going to have the ultimate in "HD" tomorrow. They're going to the game.

maxpower
10-10-2004, 08:26 AM
Hey JB does your tv have a built in HD receiver? Otherwise you would need that as well.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-10-2004, 08:53 AM
No, I have to use the reciever provided by TWC.

scott
10-10-2004, 10:45 AM
Yeah, you need an HD antenna and an HD converter box. Some of the higher end TV's have built in HD tuners (doesn't yours, Kori?), so then all you would need is the antenna.

I don't know if its Fox or Time Warner causing the hold up, but if they are offering HDTV programming then it needs to be extended over cable!!!

Duff McCartney
10-10-2004, 10:48 AM
I need to get that box and shit for my house...we have the big tv...but it has no receiver.

maxpower
10-10-2004, 10:54 AM
I don't know if its Fox or Time Warner causing the hold up, but if they are offering HDTV programming then it needs to be extended over cable!!!

More than likely it's Time warner. Since the cable companies were not 'required' to comply with the dates set by the fcc...they have been dragging their feet. However due to satellite companies taking the initiative...cable has been forced to up their timetable.

AlamoSpursFan
10-10-2004, 07:03 PM
Kinda late for me to chime in, but you don't need an "HD Antenna" to receive Off-Air HD signals. I've got one of those amplified rabbit ears jobs from Wal-Mart hooked up to my Dish Network HD Receiver and I caught every disgusting moment of the debacle in Dallas in glorius high definition.

AlamoSpursFan
10-10-2004, 07:06 PM
And I only need the amplified one because I live south of town. There in SA you should get all the reception you need with standard rabbit ears.

Kori Ellis
10-10-2004, 07:24 PM
Some of the higher end TV's have built in HD tuners (doesn't yours, Kori?), so then all you would need is the antenna.

Yeah mine has a built in HD tuner. So I was told if I had any antenna (rabbit ears or roof) I could pick up any HD signal that's out there to grab. We haven't tried it yet though.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-10-2004, 07:39 PM
Interesting. I'll have to try that when I get back to town next weekend.

Man Mountain
10-10-2004, 09:00 PM
I have an antena for my HDTV to pick up the local HD channels and it RULES. I just flip over to the ANT feed with a push of the remote and i can get the abc, nbc, cbs, etc. I got a nice one from radio shack... check it out.

scott
10-10-2004, 11:20 PM
So does the antenna work with the Time Warner cable box after all then?

Shelly
10-11-2004, 08:28 PM
Will a coat hanger work just as well? :lol

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-11-2004, 09:19 PM
i got the rabbit ears, and its awesome... the only problem is I can't pickup wb over the antenna, which sucks...b ecause alot of spurs games are on wb, i doubt on high def

AlamoSpursFan
10-12-2004, 12:16 AM
WB is the same as Fox here in SA. If they can broadcast the NFL games on 29 in HD, they can broadcast the Spurs on 35 in HD as well.

Problem with HD being that the event or show has to be FILMED with an HD camera or it won't work. Anything filmed analog and broadcast digital will use the 4:3 format, which sucks ass when the HD tuner is trying to show it in 16:9.

So unless the Spurs are broadcasting the games in HD, even the cable broadcasts are gonna suck for those of us who've moved in to 2006 (the year the FCC is going to require ALL over the air broadcasts to be in HD format).

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-12-2004, 12:59 AM
fox is the same as wb?? i dont know, if so, wb signal is much weaker, its a pain tryin to make it work

AlamoSpursFan
10-12-2004, 01:10 AM
If I'm not mistaken they transmit the KRRT signal from the Kerrville area, but they are run by the same folks. I didn't think about that before...if they use two different transmitters, it is possible they don't send HD from the KRRT transmitter.

I watched the Cowboys stinkfest on over the air HD from KABB, so I just assumed they'd send the Spurs broadcasts HD if they were filmed that way.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-12-2004, 02:50 AM
oh i see, i doubt wb does any games in high def, but hopefully i'm wrong, but i think nbatv tnt and even fox sports will have a couple high def spurs games, too bad we cant have the whole season high def.

Shelly
10-12-2004, 07:22 AM
(the year the FCC is going to require ALL over the air broadcasts to be in HD format

My understanding that this doesn't apply to cable channels? I thought I read that somewhere?

AlamoSpursFan
10-13-2004, 08:37 AM
If the FCC doesn't require it, consumer demand soon will...

HDTV RAWKS!