PDA

View Full Version : DIME mailbag on ESPN skewers the refs

doldrums
05-17-2006, 10:55 AM
There is some GREAT basketball being played here. It's unfortunate the officials seem to be getting in the way. Too many sketchy calls by veteran officials in key moments. Let the players decide. I don't watch the game to see Jess $%##! Kersey. With that said, Bruce Bowen did not foul Dirk late. I was so disappointed to see that call being made. I'm not even a Spurs fan, but felt their pain. Bowen plays perfect defense and they bail out Dirk. Two key FT's. Dont call that tic-tac garbage late in game. Make Dirk make a play. Make him make a shot. I was just thinking this series is too good and the teams too good for the officials to step in like they have been. They need to stay out of it.
-- Kenny (San Francisco)
You completely overlook the fact that the refs have obviously called a pro-Mavs game in Games 3 and 4. Specifically, in Game 3 the Mavs went to the line 50 times, I said 50 with Dirk getting there 24 times on only nine shots. That's pathetic -- this guy isn't MJ as an offensive threat, nor any of the other truly greats such as Wilt, Shaq in his prime, etc. Especially disturbing is that on two plays, one in Game 3 and one Monday night, Dirk basically, in an uncoordinated fashion, ran into Timmy Duncan going to the basket and it was Duncan who was called for the foul . . .
-- Robert E Vivien (New York)

Does anyone else think the Spurs got robbed Monday night? The close call in Game 3 could go either way, but Game 4 was atrocious. Tony Parker got called for about seven travelling violations. Tim Duncan for blocking when Dirk smashed into him, and the mystery foul on Bowen against Nowitzki as well. I know he's European, but isn't it an offensive foul when he lowers his shoulder? Such a bad way to celebrate Dick Bavetta's 90th birthday.
-- Ryan (San Diego)

It looks to me like Mark Cuban's recent $200,000 fine for criticizing the refs was a good investment. His Mavs are clearly getting the benefit of the officiating during this series. For the second straight game, one of the Spurs' big three fouls out on a questionable call at a critical juncture of the fourth quarter. The Mavs have discovered that all they need to do to get to the line is to lower their heads and jump into the closest Spur and the refs will certainly bail them out. . . . This is the playoffs! Let the players decide the outcome of these games, not the refs.
-- Chris (Chicago)

SPARKY
05-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Amen. It's clear to basketball fans everywhere what's going on in this series.

SA210
05-17-2006, 10:59 AM
Get the word out. They don't want to talk about it on TV.

Jerks!

Shank
05-17-2006, 10:59 AM
Amen.

Because some emailers to a magazine no one reads agrees with your bullshit sentiment doesn't make it true.

Prove to me that these games are fixed. I will need documentation, phonecalls, wiretaps, faxes, whatever. Your Spares have been outplayed and outcoached for 3 straight games. Come to grips with the reality that you can't win it every year, you spoiled bitch.

NoMoneyDown
05-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Because some emailers to a magazine no one reads agrees with your bullshit sentiment doesn't make it true.

Prove to me that these games are fixed. I will need documentation, phonecalls, wiretaps, faxes, whatever. Your Spares have been outplayed and outcoached for 3 straight games. Come to grips with the reality that you can't win it every year, you spoiled bitch.

Wow. Tough guy. :rolleyes

SPARKY
05-17-2006, 11:01 AM

Listen, you have issues. I'm not sure what they are. I hope you get help for them. Until then, shut your white trash trap. Shit, for your sake I hope the Mavs win because there's no telling what you'll do to yourself if they lost tonight.

SAGambler
05-17-2006, 11:01 AM
So, it's not just Spurs fans noticing this..

Good to see some other fans paying attention and seeing that Spurs have taken a royal screwing from the refs the last 2 games..

picnroll
05-17-2006, 11:04 AM
Only Dallas fans begging for validation and the occasional Spurs-hater fan that are trying to make lame claims it wasn't a screw job. Everyone else acknowledges it except sportwriters who are unaware because they stopped watching the NBA when the Lakers got eliminated.

Spurs Dynasty
05-17-2006, 11:05 AM
There is some GREAT basketball being played here. It's unfortunate the officials seem to be getting in the way. Too many sketchy calls by veteran officials in key moments. Let the players decide. I don't watch the game to see Jess $%##! Kersey. With that said, Bruce Bowen did not foul Dirk late. I was so disappointed to see that call being made. I'm not even a Spurs fan, but felt their pain. Bowen plays perfect defense and they bail out Dirk. Two key FT's. Dont call that tic-tac garbage late in game. Make Dirk make a play. Make him make a shot. I was just thinking this series is too good and the teams too good for the officials to step in like they have been. They need to stay out of it.
-- Kenny (San Francisco)
You completely overlook the fact that the refs have obviously called a pro-Mavs game in Games 3 and 4. Specifically, in Game 3 the Mavs went to the line 50 times, I said 50 with Dirk getting there 24 times on only nine shots. That's pathetic -- this guy isn't MJ as an offensive threat, nor any of the other truly greats such as Wilt, Shaq in his prime, etc. Especially disturbing is that on two plays, one in Game 3 and one Monday night, Dirk basically, in an uncoordinated fashion, ran into Timmy Duncan going to the basket and it was Duncan who was called for the foul . . .
-- Robert E Vivien (New York)

Does anyone else think the Spurs got robbed Monday night? The close call in Game 3 could go either way, but Game 4 was atrocious. Tony Parker got called for about seven travelling violations. Tim Duncan for blocking when Dirk smashed into him, and the mystery foul on Bowen against Nowitzki as well. I know he's European, but isn't it an offensive foul when he lowers his shoulder? Such a bad way to celebrate Dick Bavetta's 90th birthday.
-- Ryan (San Diego)

It looks to me like Mark Cuban's recent $200,000 fine for criticizing the refs was a good investment. His Mavs are clearly getting the benefit of the officiating during this series. For the second straight game, one of the Spurs' big three fouls out on a questionable call at a critical juncture of the fourth quarter. The Mavs have discovered that all they need to do to get to the line is to lower their heads and jump into the closest Spur and the refs will certainly bail them out. . . . This is the playoffs! Let the players decide the outcome of these games, not the refs.
-- Chris (Chicago)

doldrums
05-17-2006, 11:05 AM
A lot of people around the country are watching this seies because it's a great match up. But without favoritism, they are saying the same things that we are stating on this board.

Spurs Dynasty
05-17-2006, 11:06 AM
Oh, no, you have it all wrong... there has been NO problem with the refeering , it is only us whiney Spurs fans who are complaining :lol :lol

Oh, wait, and Suns fans, and Piston fans, and Nugget fans etc...

ShoogarBear
05-17-2006, 11:07 AM
Basketball fans know what's going on.

That means Mav fans do not.

NoMoneyDown
05-17-2006, 11:07 AM
Oh, no, you have it all wrong... there has been NO problem with the refeering , it is only us whiney Spurs fans who are complaining :lol :lol

Oh, wait, and Suns fans, and Piston fans, and Nugget fans etc...

Heck, even honest Maverick fans are saying it (softly).

kalikot_boy_kr
05-17-2006, 11:10 AM
spurs in game 7....no matter what....for the mavs fan, just hang out there... egg might be a chicken...

FromWayDowntown
05-17-2006, 11:13 AM
I think the first 2 sentences of the first of those e-mails are the point that most are concerned with. Fans have a chance to watch 2 great teams battle it out in down-to-the-wire games and in 2 of the 3 tight games, they've seen a Maverick shooter bailed out on a touch foul in the waning seconds. Perhaps it's a new NBA, with a new commitment to ignoring circumstances; I think that's a horrendous idea -- it defeats the entire reason that (most) people watch playoff games.

texlawman
05-17-2006, 11:14 AM
Please stop whining about the officials. This has been great basketball. All of the games have been close except for Game 2. Honestly, I really don't understand how you can bitch about a travel. Either a man travels or he doesn't. Parker does this alot when he penetrates the lane.

I would agree that the Bowen Call was unfortunate. Dirk should have to make the shot and the refs should swallow the whistle. Still, I can think of several Pro Spurs calls as well.

I think the Spurs biggest problem is not the officiating. It's the fact that your playing the Mavericks into the 100's. The teams are fairly even and if you can control the tempo and force a half court game I think you have the advantage. This simply hasn't happened the last few games and not surprisingly the Mavericks have won.

DarrinS
05-17-2006, 11:16 AM
From TNT, to FoxSports, to Sports Illustrated, etc. etc., everyone is talking about the bad calls. Even the Mavs fan I sat next to at my local drinkery was amazed at the calls. Of course, he was giddy to get the win. But, go ahead Mavs fan, enjoy whe two "suspect" wins.

In years past, when the Spurs have been beat by the Lakers, or other teams, I have not been this bent about the officiating. But the calls in those games weren't as horrendous or as game-changing.

SPARKY
05-17-2006, 11:17 AM
Jason Terry doesn't travel? :spin

doldrums
05-17-2006, 11:17 AM
texlawman, I would say what you said makes sense but consider this. If the Bowen foul isn't called the series could very realistically be 2-2. That does change everything. That was the biggest call of any playoff game this year and it was wrong.

George W Bush
05-17-2006, 11:19 AM
...I will need documentation, phonecalls, wiretaps, faxes, whatever.

I'm on it.

DarrinS
05-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Please stop whining about the officials. This has been great basketball. All of the games have been close except for Game 2. Honestly, I really don't understand how you can bitch about a travel. Either a man travels or he doesn't. Parker does this alot when he penetrates the lane.

I would agree that the Bowen Call was unfortunate. Dirk should have to make the shot and the refs should swallow the whistle. Still, I can think of several Pro Spurs calls as well.

I think the Spurs biggest problem is not the officiating. It's the fact that your playing the Mavericks into the 100's. The teams are fairly even and if you can control the tempo and force a half court game I think you have the advantage. This simply hasn't happened the last few games and not surprisingly the Mavericks have won.

It has been great basketball, for the most part. What sucks is you watch two great teams slug it out for 48 minutes, and some 80 yr old ref bails Dirk out and completely changes the outcome. Did you watch the Suns-Clippers game last night? That's how a game should be called.

doldrums
05-17-2006, 11:20 AM
It has been great basketball, for the most part. What sucks is you watch two great teams slug it out for 48 minutes, and some 80 yr old ref bails Dirk out and completely changes the outcome. Did you watch the Suns-Clippers game last night? That's how a game should be called.

Agreed about Suns-Clippers. Good fair refereeing is possible in the playoffs.

Shank
05-17-2006, 11:21 AM

Suns-Clippers last night with Steve Javie? I seem to recall some death threats headed his way after his game in this series.

If Duncan makes that last shot attempt in regulation, are you guys still going on and on about the officiating? Of course you're not.

SA210
05-17-2006, 11:22 AM
Suns-Clippers last night with Steve Javie? I seem to recall some death threats headed his way after his game in this series.

If Duncan makes that last shot attempt in regulation, are you guys still going on and on about the officiating? Of course you're not.
Yes I would. Bad officiating is bad officiating.

doldrums
05-17-2006, 11:23 AM

Right, that's the point. If his crew calls that fairly, they are capable. It just appears that Javie does not do it with the Spurs.

spur219
05-17-2006, 11:23 AM
I had a buddy of mine talking to me and he absolutely hates the Spurs with a passion and is pulling for the Mavs.

He admitted that the refs were horrible in game #4 and that the Spurs should of won and were robbed. He then mentioned that he hated to see the Mavs win a game they were not suppose to win. He would prefer for them to win because they deserved it themselves and not get bailed out by refs.

Crookshanks
05-17-2006, 11:26 AM

Oh yes, we'd still be complaining - but we'd also be talking about how great the Spurs played in order to overcome the obvious bias and having to play 5 on 8!!

texlawman
05-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Does Terry travel? Of course. He also gets called for it. Does he travel as much as Parker, I don't think so. Parker plays like a wild man which is why he is so good and gets traveling calls. My point is that traveling is a pretty clear cut violation. Either a man travels or he doesn't. When a ref calls traveling and the player carries I don't think you have a valid reason to bitch.

I can accept being frustrated by the Bowen call or maybe even the Duncan call in game 3, but I think you guys should focus on the matchups and tempo and let the refs just call the game.

SPARKY
05-17-2006, 11:29 AM
Ah yes, now Parker travels more than anyone else. :spin

picnroll
05-17-2006, 11:30 AM
Mavs fans if you should get past the Spurs don't get your hopes up for a title. The refs won't be able to hand you any more series wins. There is already too much media attention to this farce.

pussyface
cmon spurs fans...there are two types of people in a close playoff series...winners and people who stand there blaming the refs.

DarrinS

I didn't realize it was Javie, but that's a good thing. He must have called a good game last night, because the refs were barely noticeable to me. I want to see the players make plays -- not the refs.

FromWayDowntown
05-17-2006, 11:31 AM

In 4th Quarters? I think that's my biggest concern; when the game is on the line, it seems that the whistles go the Mavs way. If the Spurs sieze a lead by playing well and getting stops, the Mavs march to the line. Spurs get up by 5, well, it's time to drop a phantom block on Duncan, never minding that he was set, outside of the restricted area, and that Dirk was completely out of control. Better to put the Mavs on the line in the 4th to keep things competitive, and force the Spurs to make play-after-play-after-play to win the game.

Just some numbers -- were these reversed, I suspect most Mavericks fans would be screaming about officiating

4th Quarter Free Throw Attempts

Game 3: Mavs 22, Spurs 6
Game 4: Mavs 14, Spurs 4

4th Quarter Field Goal Shooting

Game 3: Mavs 6-12 (.500), Spurs 13-17 (.765)
Game 4: Mavs 6-20 (.400), Spurs 12-23 (.522)

SA210
05-17-2006, 11:34 AM
In 4th Quarters? I think that's my biggest concern; when the game is on the line, it seems that the whistles go the Mavs way. If the Spurs sieze a lead by playing well and getting stops, the Mavs march to the line. Spurs get up by 5, well, it's time to drop a phantom block on Duncan, never minding that he was set, outside of the restricted area, and that Dirk was completely out of control. Better to put the Mavs on the line in the 4th to keep things competitive, and force the Spurs to make play-after-play-after-play to win the game.

Just some numbers -- were these reversed, I suspect most Mavericks fans would be screaming about officiating

And people will still try to argue against this. It's obvious.

picnroll
05-17-2006, 11:36 AM
cmon spurs fans...there are two types of people in a close playoff series...winners and people who stand there blaming the refs.
You're winning, you don't deserve it. Live with it.

degenerate_gambler
05-17-2006, 11:37 AM

I didn't realize it was that one sided.

Once SA cuts out the mental mistakes late, and they will tonite, this team is going to do something very special.

SA210
05-17-2006, 11:39 AM
I didn't realize it was that one sided.

Once SA cuts out the mental mistakes late, and they will tonite, this team is going to do something very special.
Then what happens when we get back to Dallas with Salvitore?

guzmangm
05-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Your Spares have been outplayed and outcoached for 3 straight games. Come to grips with the reality that you can't win it every year, you spoiled bitch.[/QUOTE]

The Spurs haven't been outplayed for 3 games straight. I'll admit they were killed in game two, but games three and four were really close and seemingly tipped in the Mavs favor thanks to the refs. That's why all us Spurs fans are so pissed off. Monday's game being the worse of course...

Spurs Dynasty
05-17-2006, 11:43 AM
...says the biggest cuntbag on the entire board.

Totally uncalled for !!!!!!! I am not one to quickly call for anyone to be banned, but there is no place for this type of posting here. I hope the powers that be agree with me.

Spurs Dynasty
05-17-2006, 11:46 AM

Well, thanks for admiting the call was at least unfortunate, however i think the term "game breaking" might be more accurate.

Spurs in 7

FromWayDowntown
05-17-2006, 11:48 AM
I have to change my numbers a little, but not much

4th Quarter Free Throw Attempts (Makes)

Game 3: Mavs 18-22; Spurs 6-8
Game 4: Mavs 13-14; Spurs 3-4

It's not as if the Spurs are missing a ridiculous number of the miniscule number of attempts they've gotten in the 4th Quarters. They have been put in a position, though, in which even shooting ridiculous percentages from the floor isn't enough because their opponent has spent more than twice as many attempts at the charity stripe.

It's fairly remarkable that the Spurs have even had an opportunity to win either game.

degenerate_gambler
05-17-2006, 11:51 AM
Then what happens when we get back to Dallas with Salvitore?

Then we get a Spurs team with nothing to lose, playing hellbent for leather for 48 minutes on the road, where they excel.

And we get to watch a _allas team play some true playoff pressure basketball and wilt under it.

It's gonna happen.

SA210
05-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Then we get a Spurs team with nothing to lose, playing hellbent for leather for 48 minutes on the road, where they excel.

And we get to watch a _allas team play some true playoff pressure basketball and wilt under it.

It's gonna happen.
I gotta say, if we play like that, these Mavs will fold, Guaranteed!

ducks
05-17-2006, 12:00 PM
dude james travesl makes game winning shots
and not get called

why 4 travel calls on tp

CUBAN

degenerate_gambler
05-17-2006, 12:00 PM
I gotta say, if we play like that, these Mavs will fold, Guaranteed!

The Spurs are assassins on the road in money games.

And good/bad officiating in Game 6 wont help _allas.

picnroll
05-17-2006, 12:03 PM
dude james travesl makes game winning shots
and not get called

why 4 travel calls on tp

CUBANF

Focus ducks. Focus. :lol

BigVee
05-17-2006, 12:25 PM
If I were a Mavs fan, I would be very unhappy with the officiating. It is tainting a very good effort by your team. If the Mavs go on to win, true basketball fans, except Maverick fans will forever say, "yeah they won, but the Spurs got screwed by the refs." You don't want that. It will become synonomous with the 2006 playoffs. Don't tell me you don't still believe that if Dirk hadn't been hurt in '03 you would have made it to the finals???? I still hear that mentioned all the time.

SA210
05-17-2006, 12:43 PM
From ESPN.com right hand side of page.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-060516
==============================================

It's not often that NBA commissioner David Stern hears criticism of his referees during a playoff game.

But it happened Monday night.

From both teams.

Stern occupied a mid-court seat just behind the floor-level press section for Game 4 in Dallas.

That made him easy to spot for Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, who shouted his displeasure in Stern's direction during a run of questionable whistles in the third quarter. (:lol gimme a break) Stern did not appear to acknowledge the complaints.

Something similar happened late in the fourth quarter, when San Antonio's Bruce Bowen was called for a foul on Dirk Nowitzki with 8.5 seconds left in regulation and the Mavericks trailing by two.

As Nowitzki set about sinking his two game-tying free throws, an incredulous Bowen faced Stern's section and could be heard shouting: "This is terrible."

The Spurs were fuming coming in after the call that fouled out Tim Duncan in Game 3. Their frustration only rose after a ragged Game 4 in which Manu Ginobili fouled out, prompting Charles Barkley to blast the refs on San Antonio's behalf from the TNT set.

Stern's seat, incidentally, was in a section typically reserved for Eva Longoria when the Spurs are at American Airlines Center.

Tony Parker's girlfriend was moved to higher-up seats on the opposite side of the floor to accomodate Stern and new NBA deputy commissioner Adam Silver.

-- Marc Stein in Dallas

texlawman
05-17-2006, 12:44 PM
There wasn't any question that your team was better in 03. We we're a jump shooting basketball team with no interior defense whatsoever. Shawn Bradley was on our roster. Enough said.

I'm not sure whose better in 2006. I suppose that remains to be established. Some things I do like about this team though that has nothing to do with the officials.
1) They are controlling the game pace;
2) They are controlling the glass;
3) They've attacked the basket constantly.

The 2003 team couldn't claim any of the above.

KingsFanWithoutName
05-17-2006, 12:44 PM
Agreed about Suns-Clippers. Good fair refereeing is possible in the playoffs.
????? Did you all happen to miss the out of bounds called on Livingston is the closing seconds of the second OT????? He wasn't even close to being out of bounds. You guys don't even know what a good called game is.

Rummpd
05-17-2006, 12:48 PM
Thank you Dime
Thank you Barkley
Thank you Me!
http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_17361.shtml

cherylsteele
05-17-2006, 01:00 PM

No one is saying we should win every year....because we don't/haven't. I haven't said anything about the refs during these playoffs....and rarely do, but the only reason Dirk has become a driver in this series (contrary to his regular M.O.) is because he knows the Mavs have been getting the vast majority of questionable calls. Firk is getting more questionable calls the Shaq did with the Lakers.....and Shaq was a champion.

From reading some of your previous posts we know you would noot be honest in saying you wouldn't be doing the exact same thing if the circumstances were reversed.

Winnipeg_Spur
05-17-2006, 01:18 PM
The thing that's frustrating is that in the past when there's been poor officiating the Spurs haven't reacted well to it, they've lost focus and tended to play poorly after a couple bad whistles. In those cases it's on the Spurs, the refs will make bad calls, and it's not their fault that the Spurs react poorly to them. That's why I wouldn't blame game 2 on the refs at all.

However, in the last two games (game 3 in particular) the Spurs have actually for the most part reacted positively to bad calls, showing a huge amount of "heart" and so forth. Their reward for this has been more and more bad calls. I'm still not sure if I've seen a worse call in the waning moments of a playoff game than that foul on Dirk with 8.5 seconds to go. One can only hope the refs will call the game differently away from American Airlines.

abelle23
05-17-2006, 01:18 PM
I'm on it.

yo d mannnn mr president!!!!

texasqb2
05-17-2006, 01:22 PM

It's not hard to score over 100 when you get 50+ free throw attempts. I live with people from Dallas and they don't even give me a hard time about the games b/c they say they feel dirty winning this way. This is also why Cleveland has a chance to beat Detroit b/c of the league wanting LeBron in the finals, face it, we're getting jobbed.

maddnezz
05-17-2006, 01:28 PM
you spoiled bitch.
Do you talk to your mom or your wife or girlfriend like that. I know you know betterthan that. Have some class with your post, a bitch is a dog.
:king

Shank
05-17-2006, 01:44 PM
Do you talk to your mom or your wife or girlfriend like that. I know you know betterthan that. Have some class with your post, a bitch is a dog.
:king

Could you have come back any weaker than that? My god.

Leetonidas
05-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Could you have come back any weaker than that? My god.

Why don't you read FWD's post.

Islymore
05-17-2006, 02:49 PM
I will admit the foul calling in the last three games was crazy. The last two got totally out of control. Did the refs have much to do with the Mavs winning game 4? Definitely. Even as a MAVS FAN, I cannot denying that the game was unfairly called bc I love basketball as a whole. Did Bowen foul Dirk on that last game? No. Was it called? Yes, bc the refs were too busy thinking Bowen was goin to foul Dirk (which baffles me at all the calls ppl dont get when being guarded by Bowen). That is how the refs have been calling bball since the playoffs began. Whistle-blowin early - like that travel they wanted to call on Manu (had he actually touched the ball). But just like Josh got called for a clean block on Manu and Josh got another foul when Manu made a drive(the refs if anything - should have called that foul on JT who clearly fouled Manu) the ref callin has been ticky tacky the whole way. And one teams favorable calls cannot be called out if the other team is not willing to call out their own. TD fouls too. As quietly as it's kept, but did he deserve every call he's gotten? No. But I think the refs felt they had to make up for some of the calls they let go. Clearly when plays are replayed on the screens, the refs glance just like the fans do. And in turn, the refs call an "invisible" foul on the other team to fix their mistake. At least that's how I see it.

Dont make it seem like all Mavs fans arent in support of a fairly called game. Bc I am. Just like Game 1 was def called in favor of the Spurs, the Mavs have gotten the calls as of late. But nobody is talking about Game 1 bc the Spurs won and that was unexpected since they had just came off a longer playoff run. But forget Game 1... Have games 2 - 4 been called moreso in favor of the Mavs rather than the Spurs? Yes. I admit that. But in the end - freethrows were missed and shots that are normally made didnt fall for the Spurs, that too attributed to the losses. Game 3 was a one point game, Game 4 went into OT - either team could have won either of those games. The Mavs did and no matter how unfortunate it was - those games could have gone either way. My whole problem with all the comments about the ref'n is this.. even at the end of regulation Game 4 was tied. If the Spurs wanted the game and were as hungry as we all know they are, they would have went for it. The score was tied up, both teams were even - that was a fresh start that the Spurs let slip away. And if you want to contest that it shouldnt have even went into OT, you are right. We got that. But it did. Why not talk about the things your team could have done better? Like rebounding, they have been outrebounded by the Mavs if im mistaken - please tell me. Alot of deflections and tips helped the Mavs add pts to the board. But even all in all... Have the Mavs not been the aggressor? Have they not been trying to give that extra push to beat the Spurs? The conspiracy theories have got to stop. Is that real? Ppl really believe that stuff? Owners paying the Refs, the League Commish in the mix too? Hey if that makes you sleep better at night, then so be it. But I fail to believe that the conspiracy is truth. And if somebody can prove it with info other than the fact that Cuban got fined for talking about the refs officiating (which he did PRIOR to the playoffs for the benefit of all bball teams, not just the Mavs) then please forward it to me. I would love to get a better understanding of that.

I just feel like if ppl are gonna talk bball and dispute - then ppl should dispute it with arguments that have more to say than "whining, crybaby (ies), Dallas (the city) sux, Dallas fans suck, and all the other pointless rants full of nothing but cuss words". Doesnt that get boring after a while? Seriously. That all is a lil bit of the "classless" fans everywhere and not just in Dallas.

NoMoneyDown
05-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Just like Game 1 was def called in favor of the Spurs, the Mavs have gotten the calls as of late. But nobody is talking about Game 1 bc the Spurs won and that was unexpected since they had just came off a longer playoff run.

Actually many people for BOTH teams were here questioning a lot of the calls.

LilMissSPURfect
05-17-2006, 02:55 PM
bottom line LET THE PLAYERS DECIDE!!!!!

Islymore
05-17-2006, 02:59 PM
Actually many people for BOTH teams were here questioning a lot of the calls.

And I dont doubt that. Im sure there were. I'm not takin anything away from anyone... I just wish conversations could extend past - "the refs gave you the game", "the spurs are a bunch of crybabies", "san antonio sux", "dallas sux", "moron, bitch, idiot, dummy".

Guess I did go on a bit of a rant there...

And I agree - Let the players play...

wildbill2u
05-17-2006, 03:01 PM
Heck, even honest Maverick fans are saying it (softly).

Its also being noticed by Dallas sportswriters. Dale Hanson made several references to it after the game on Saturday. In Today's Dallas News, David Moore also made a brief mention: "Dont run this theory by the Spurs. They'll think your as crazy as some of thefouls they've picked up over the last three games."

Nuff said.

tlongII
05-17-2006, 03:05 PM
http://www.seahawks.com/wallScreen/logo.jpg

Leetonidas
05-17-2006, 05:46 PM
I will admit the foul calling in the last three games was crazy. The last two got totally out of control. Did the refs have much to do with the Mavs winning game 4? Definitely. Even as a MAVS FAN, I cannot denying that the game was unfairly called bc I love basketball as a whole. Did Bowen foul Dirk on that last game? No. Was it called? Yes, bc the refs were too busy thinking Bowen was goin to foul Dirk (which baffles me at all the calls ppl dont get when being guarded by Bowen). That is how the refs have been calling bball since the playoffs began. Whistle-blowin early - like that travel they wanted to call on Manu (had he actually touched the ball). But just like Josh got called for a clean block on Manu and Josh got another foul when Manu made a drive(the refs if anything - should have called that foul on JT who clearly fouled Manu) the ref callin has been ticky tacky the whole way. And one teams favorable calls cannot be called out if the other team is not willing to call out their own. TD fouls too. As quietly as it's kept, but did he deserve every call he's gotten? No. But I think the refs felt they had to make up for some of the calls they let go. Clearly when plays are replayed on the screens, the refs glance just like the fans do. And in turn, the refs call an "invisible" foul on the other team to fix their mistake. At least that's how I see it.

Dont make it seem like all Mavs fans arent in support of a fairly called game. Bc I am. Just like Game 1 was def called in favor of the Spurs, the Mavs have gotten the calls as of late. But nobody is talking about Game 1 bc the Spurs won and that was unexpected since they had just came off a longer playoff run. But forget Game 1... Have games 2 - 4 been called moreso in favor of the Mavs rather than the Spurs? Yes. I admit that. But in the end - freethrows were missed and shots that are normally made didnt fall for the Spurs, that too attributed to the losses. Game 3 was a one point game, Game 4 went into OT - either team could have won either of those games. The Mavs did and no matter how unfortunate it was - those games could have gone either way. My whole problem with all the comments about the ref'n is this.. even at the end of regulation Game 4 was tied. If the Spurs wanted the game and were as hungry as we all know they are, they would have went for it. The score was tied up, both teams were even - that was a fresh start that the Spurs let slip away. And if you want to contest that it shouldnt have even went into OT, you are right. We got that. But it did. Why not talk about the things your team could have done better? Like rebounding, they have been outrebounded by the Mavs if im mistaken - please tell me. Alot of deflections and tips helped the Mavs add pts to the board. But even all in all... Have the Mavs not been the aggressor? Have they not been trying to give that extra push to beat the Spurs? The conspiracy theories have got to stop. Is that real? Ppl really believe that stuff? Owners paying the Refs, the League Commish in the mix too? Hey if that makes you sleep better at night, then so be it. But I fail to believe that the conspiracy is truth. And if somebody can prove it with info other than the fact that Cuban got fined for talking about the refs officiating (which he did PRIOR to the playoffs for the benefit of all bball teams, not just the Mavs) then please forward it to me. I would love to get a better understanding of that.

I just feel like if ppl are gonna talk bball and dispute - then ppl should dispute it with arguments that have more to say than "whining, crybaby (ies), Dallas (the city) sux, Dallas fans suck, and all the other pointless rants full of nothing but cuss words". Doesnt that get boring after a while? Seriously. That all is a lil bit of the "classless" fans everywhere and not just in Dallas.

Good post. At least some Mavs fans can admit it wasn't a foul on Bowen.

mrpach
05-17-2006, 06:07 PM
The frustating thing about recent calls is not that they're missed calls, refs are humans after all, but the timing of those calls: when the spurs are beginning a run, when the spurs are on a 5-0 run after a 3pointer and a momentum changing dunk from finley...a foul and a freaking 'delay of game' tech-giving nowitski 3 free throws in a row.all this in the final minutes of the fourth cuarter in a must win playoff game

johngateswhiteley
05-17-2006, 06:09 PM

listen carefully...your not winning this series. and even if the refs handed another game to you guys your not winning the championship. you don't have what it takes to beat the pistons. and this spurs v. mavs series would be the first i have ever seen where the best team did not win.

...that being said i would be shocked if the spurs did not win the next three. i really would. but why don't you and all your friends wait for one more win to talk some trash. just one more win....i know you can do it.

Spurs Dynasty
05-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Yeah, i dont think this series rates like the absolute raping and robbing the Seahawks got at the hands of the officials, but it is pretty rotten. Too many bad/non calls at too many critical junctures.

Spurs Dynasty
05-17-2006, 06:12 PM
What happened to Violet what's her name... the woman ref. I kinda liked here fair no BS approach to the game. Is she not is post season play?

v2freak
05-17-2006, 07:02 PM
Nice post. Good to see basketball purists elsewhere as well

Extra Stout
05-17-2006, 07:47 PM
listen carefully...your not winning this series. and even if the refs handed another game to you guys your not winning the championship. you don't have what it takes to beat the pistons. and this spurs v. mavs series would be the first i have ever seen where the best team did not win.

...that being said i would be shocked if the spurs did not win the next three. i really would. but why don't you and all your friends wait for one more win to talk some trash. just one more win....i know you can do it.
Are you noticing the officiating LeBron-a-thon going on in the East? Pistons aren't a cinch. They're the best team, but... ABC and Nike want to make sure we are all witnesses sooner rather than later.

And don't you dare ask questions how a threadbare, young, inexperienced Cleveland team is having its way with a 64-win, grizzled, veteran, clutch team.

Holt's Cat
05-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Maws fans smoke cwysatl meth.

jmard5
05-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Another thread about the dubious calls and still Mav fans won't admit that their wins were tainted?

Not only Spurs fans saw what was happening and still Mav fans won't admit that their wins were tainted?

The world is getting smaller for your Mav fans, and you know it... "They" don't believe... and still you guys won't admit that your wins were tainted.

Deb
05-17-2006, 08:03 PM
Does Terry travel? Of course. He also gets called for it. Does he travel as much as Parker, I don't think so. Parker plays like a wild man which is why he is so good and gets traveling calls. My point is that traveling is a pretty clear cut violation. Either a man travels or he doesn't. When a ref calls traveling and the player carries I don't think you have a valid reason to bitch.

I can accept being frustrated by the Bowen call or maybe even the Duncan call in game 3, but I think you guys should focus on the matchups and tempo and let the refs just call the game.
Wow, sounds like TP is the only player in the league that travels :rolleyes :lol

Deb
05-17-2006, 08:05 PM
The bad ref calls are the talk everywhere. Mavs fans are fooling themselves if they think they aren't a factor. Doing the ostrich thing and burying their heads in the sand but a spade is still a spade

jmard5
05-17-2006, 08:05 PM
And I dont doubt that. Im sure there were. I'm not takin anything away from anyone... I just wish conversations could extend past - "the refs gave you the game", "the spurs are a bunch of crybabies", "san antonio sux", "dallas sux", "moron, bitch, idiot, dummy".

Guess I did go on a bit of a rant there...

And I agree - Let the players play...

At least we have one Mavs fan here that saw the game as what exactly happened.

jmard5
05-17-2006, 08:10 PM
yes, tainted with high energy and gumption, but i dont expect you to know the meaning of that word

:lol So you agree that the Spurs were robbed then? C'mon. Say it.

Spurs Dynasty
05-17-2006, 08:18 PM

UM, yes we sure as hell are !!!!!!

Deb
05-17-2006, 08:19 PM
:lol So you agree that the Spurs were robbed then? C'mon. Say it.
Yes, lets all say it together.

SPURS WERE ROBBED

Tonight, we just have to play thru the bullshit and not let it take our motivation away.

jamezyjamez
05-17-2006, 08:29 PM
Yes, lets all say it together.

SPURS WERE ROBBED

Tonight, we just have to play thru the bullshit and not let it take our motivation away.

Robbed by father time and a short bench.

Deb
05-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Robbed by father time and a short bench.
Actions speak louder than words :spin

Brutalis
05-17-2006, 08:32 PM
Basketball fans know what's going on.

That means Mav fans do not.
:lol :lol :lol