PDA

View Full Version : Had to get this off chest now!

Rummpd
05-17-2006, 01:36 PM
44 hours post event and too *&%^ mad to do it, it was time to write:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_17409.shtml

whottt
05-17-2006, 01:38 PM
The officiating appears to have caused the good doctor to regress to primitive cavemanlike speechpatterns.

SA210
05-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Can there be Spurs Justice Tonight?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Peter Rumm, MD
for HOOPSWORLD.com
May 17, 2006, 14:09

I simply could not write a thing in good faith after Game four of the Spurs series, after alluding to their foul situation in Game 3 in my continuing series on "10 points on the playoffs" earlier at, http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_17361.shtml

I have been a Spurs fan through thick and thin, through the highs and lows of "0.4", sweeps and being swept by the Lakers, retirements, trades, "tall ball", and now "small ball", but nothing has ever prepared me for what has happened in the last two games.

Sure the Spurs have made late game errors, sure Popovich (Gregg) continues to confound with line-up changes that seem to desperate, sure the Mavericks have played very, very, well (and are very well coached).

However, the fact is that this series should be 2-2 at worst and very arguebly, 3-1 in the Spurs favor right now.

First, Tim Duncan fouled out on a series of travesty of nebulous calls in Game 3 - that was bad enough.

However, Manu Ginobili's fouling out (as a second unusual occurance), was only a snapshot of the most sublime call of all in this series so far, i.e., the call on Bruce Bowen late in the 4th quarter on Dirk Nowitzki (who is getting beyond Jordanesque love from the referees all series) to the line for two foul shots in the waning minutes, that helped give the Mavericks even a chance to take it over-time.

As Dime Magazine and Charles Barkely have both previously commented, this was a horrible call in more ways than one, and part of a disturbing pattern this series:

Ask yourself in all fairness?

Is it not enough Nowitzki, shooting mid-range jumpers most of the time, has gotten to the line many more times already than Duncan (despite Duncan putting up many more interior shots in heavy traffic)?

Is it not enough that Hubie Brown on national TV defended some of the sublime calls over and over again in the previous game (one wonders does he own stock in the Mavericks)?

Is it not enough that the Mavericks are a darn good (and very deep team) that should be able at some point to win a series on their own merits?

Is it not enough that the Spurs do not openly whine to the league in public about the foul disparity? ("God forbid" us if it was either a Phil Jackson or Pat Riley team getting this treatment.)

Seemingly not, the truth is that something is going on with the calls, that is very disturbing and part of a bad trend of officiating in the NBA all year.

I recognize that it may not be intentional, but it is happening. The officiating has been poor at best.

I ask just one favor:

Let justice be served tonight, will you please NBA officials?

Please most of all stop the sublime and late in the game "home crowd" calls and just let them play.

The playoffs are supposed to be a physical and mental challenge, and not a three hour foul shooting contests.

It is also sad that the defending Spurs even when they have been hitting their own foul shots at a fine percentage, have been the primary victim so far, and I am at least glad that the press and reporters are recognizing what is so very obvious.

*By the way, I live in Philadelphia and why does a 48 minute game go more than three hours each night? (Answer: overly long commercial breaks and too much stoppage of the games.)

Simply put, let them play and let the best team win!

Period. Then if the Spurs lose, ok and so be it.

CubanMustGo
05-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Please most of all stop the sublime and late in the game "home crowd" calls and just let them play.

Oh, sure, now that we're the home team, you want the home crowd calls to stop. :lol

mouse
05-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Not bad who was the orignal writer?

DarrinS
05-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Good read.

I'd add one more thing. If you ARE going to call a foul, blow the whistle at the time of the foul, not 2-3 seconds later when Nowizski or Terry are having one of their turrets syndrome episodes after getting grazed by an opponent.

v2000
05-17-2006, 02:00 PM
44 hours post event and too *&%^ mad to do it, it was time to write:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_17409.shtml
well, at the same time, while they keep saying it could be 3-1 spurs, it could have been 4-0 Mavs. game 1 was FAR worsely officiated than ANY of those games, but no one complained much about that game. fuck the whiners. they need to quit making fucking excuses.

johnut32
05-17-2006, 02:05 PM
No doubt...this series could easily be closed out by now.

DarrinS
05-17-2006, 02:05 PM
well, at the same time, while they keep saying it could be 3-1 spurs, it could have been 4-0 Mavs. game 1 was FAR worsely officiated than ANY of those games, but no one complained much about that game. fuck the whiners. they need to quit making fucking excuses.

But, strangely, the media hasn't made any stink about the officiating in that game. Hmmmmm. Interesting.

I do think there were missed calls and bad calls, but none that were game-changing with under a minute to play.

Lebowski Brickowski
05-17-2006, 02:07 PM
I'm over it. Fuck the refs. The Spurs can win tonight anyway. LET'S GET 'EM TONIGHT SPURS!

Rummpd
05-17-2006, 08:37 PM
FY a certain Mavs fan I was the original writer = good luck to your team (NEXT YEAR) = Spurs bringing it tonight!

bonesinaz
05-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Doc-
Good article. Like my Dad (80 yrs old)says....Hubie as a coach never saw a call he liked. Hubie as an announcer never saw a call he didn't love.