PDA

View Full Version : This just in... Spurstalk.com on suicide watch..

BillsCarnage
05-17-2006, 03:01 PM
Updated: Wednesday May 17, 2006 6:57 AM

Mavericks-Spurs Preview

GAME: Dallas Mavericks at San Antonio Spurs .

PLAYOFF SERIES: Western Conference semifinals; Mavericks lead 3-1.

TIME: Wednesday, 9:30 p.m. EDT.

Since Tim Duncan joined them, the San Antonio Spurs have never won an elimination game to keep a series going. Now they have to win three in a row or their reign as NBA champions will be over.

Going home facing a 3-1 deficit, the Spurs try to send this series back to Dallas and prevent the Mavericks from clinching their third trip to the Western Conference finals.

San Antonio is 0-5 when trailing this deep into a playoff series since Duncan arrived in 1997. The only time the former MVP has won any game when facing elimination was Game 7 of last year's finals, when the Spurs defeated the Detroit Pistons for their third title in seven seasons.

In San Antonio local authorities have been put on alert for a mass suicide at the highly popular online Spurs forum, spurstalk.com. The thought of their reigning champs getting knocked out of the second round, to the much hated archrival Dallas Mavericks, has many posters on the edge of the AT&T center ready jump. With thought of having spurstalk.com peppered by the notorious "mouse", an avid Mavs fan, among the usual Dallas trolls has many on edge.

"We've been notified by the NBA that the fans in San Antonio are ready to jump." said a high ranking public official who did not want to be identified.

Kori Ellis, owner of spurstalk.com had this to say, "We will NOT be held hostage by Dallas trolls. The forum will continue to function if/when the Dallas trolls show up. The axis of evil - Dallas and Detroit - will not hold us hostage! We will continue to defend our forum." Moments after speaking this Kori could be seen scouting out a rootop position on the AT&T center.

The usually congenial Duncan was clearly dejected following a 123-118 overtime loss Monday in Game 4, spending little time at the podium during a postgame news conference.

''One play either way. One call either way. Whatever it may be, it came down to that,'' said Duncan, who has averaged 31.3 points and 11.8 rebounds in the series.

His impressive production after a lackluster first round against Sacramento has not been enough to offset San Antonio's poor play defensively.

Dallas has averaged 113.3 points in winning the last three games, shooting 124 free throws and committing just 32 turnovers, after losing the series opener 87-85.

''It's a heavyweight fight, a slugfest,'' Mavericks coach Avery Johnson said. ''Fortunately, we had a little more in the tank (Monday).''

Only eight teams have rallied from a 3-1 deficit to win a best-of-seven series.

While the Spurs have lost three straight for the first time all season, a loss in this contest would mark the team's longest losing streak since dropping four in a row to the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2004 West semifinals.

Dallas hasn't been to the conference finals since 2003, when it lost in six games to San Antonio.

''It's going to take tremendous effort,'' Mavericks point guard Jason Terry said. ''We like our chances.''

It was Terry who came up with the biggest shots in Monday's win as he finished with 32 points. He made a crucial basket with 23 seconds left in regulation, opened overtime with a go-ahead layup and protected the lead with a pair of rainbow jumpers.

Terry being joined by fellow point guard Devin Harris in the starting lineup for the last three games has proved to be a brilliant decision by Johnson. The duo averaged 41.3 points in Games 2-4, combining for 50 points and 11 assists on Monday.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, meanwhile, has been unable to find the right combination. He started Michael Finley for the first time this postseason on Monday, one game after having Manu Ginobili come off the bench for the first time in these playoffs.

Ginobili responded with 24 points in Game 3, and had 26 in Game 4 before fouling out with 2:28 left in regulation. The Spurs led 105-101 when he departed but could not hang on, getting outscored 22-13 over the game's final 7 1/2 minutes.

''It's not a situation where we're getting blown out and getting our hats handed to us,'' Spurs forward Bruce Bowen said. ''It's the small things. If we do the small things we're going to be successful. We're right there. I feel like we're on the cusp of doing great things.''

Bowen, an NBA All-Defensive first team selection the last six seasons, has been unable to slow down Dirk Nowitzki .

The All-Star forward's point production has gone up in every game of this series, and he's 35-of-39 at the foul line over the last two. Nowitzki scored 28 points Monday despite battling a right ankle sprain, suffered when he stepped on Duncan's foot in the final minute of Game 3. His pair of free throws with 8.5 seconds to play in regulation helped force overtime.

The series returns to Dallas for Game 6 on Friday should the Spurs win Wednesday.

''We're still breathing,'' Finley said. ''We have the opportunity to go back to San Antonio. I hope we're fortunate enough to make the trip back here.''

HOW THEY GOT HERE: Mavericks - 4th seed; beat Memphis Grizzlies 4-0, West first round. Spurs - 1st seed; beat Sacramento Kings 4-2; West first round.

PROBABLE STARTERS: Mavericks - F Josh Howard , F Nowitzki, C DeSagana Diop , G Harris, G Terry. Spurs - F Bowen, F Finley, C Duncan, G Brent Barry , G Tony Parker .

PLAYOFF TEAM LEADERS: Mavericks - Nowitzki, 27.6 ppg and 9.8 rpg; Terry, 4.4 apg. Spurs - Duncan, 23.5 ppg and 10.2 rpg; Parker, 3.8 apg.

Mr Hanky
05-17-2006, 03:07 PM
I thought about killing myself just trying to read this whole topic :lmao

pache100
05-17-2006, 03:08 PM
That was actually kinda funny.

Kori Ellis
05-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Pretty impressive.

BillsCarnage
05-17-2006, 03:12 PM
It was meant to lighten you all up. I mean it could be worse, they could be down 3-1 to the Suns.

pache100
05-17-2006, 03:13 PM
It was meant to lighten you all up. I mean it could be worse, they could be down 3-1 to the Suns.

That wouldn't be worse. Because, if that were the case? I'd be willing to bet the Suns would have earned it.

FromWayDowntown
05-17-2006, 03:15 PM
Detroit isn't in our axis of evil, is it? Did I miss that somewhere?

I didn't realize that board patriotism might require me to suddenly avow eternal hatred to our friends from Motown.

ponky
05-17-2006, 03:15 PM
This was pretty funny, regardless of team allegiances.

VinnyTestesVerde
05-17-2006, 03:18 PM
That wouldn't be worse. Because, if that were the case? I'd be willing to bet the Suns would have earned it.

Amen. Well said.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-17-2006, 03:22 PM
Good work.

The only team that's in my axis of evil is the Lakers (with a brief membership granted to Karl Malone and the Jazz a few years back).

The Mavs are nobody's in the world of NBA lore. Even if they manage to get past the Spurs they're going to come up short of the title.

The Spurs may be 0-5 in elimination games (I still say it's 1-5), but a stat people haven't mentioned is that neither team that eliminated the Spurs the year after SA won a title went on to win the title themselves.

My guess is that these low class Dallas fans will begin the process of ego deflation this evening.

Jimcs50
05-17-2006, 03:23 PM
* mixing the grape Koolaid*

pache100
05-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Good work.

The only team that's in my axis of evil is the Lakers (with a brief membership granted to Karl Malone and the Jazz a few years back).

The Mavs are nobody's in the world of NBA lore. Even if they manage to get past the Spurs they're going to come up short of the title.

The Spurs may be 0-5 in elimination games (I still say it's 1-5), but a stat people haven't mentioned is that neither team that eliminated the Spurs the year after SA won a title went on to win the title themselves.

My guess is that these low class Dallas fans will begin the process of ego deflation this evening.

From your mouth to God's ears, EHJ.

atxrocker
05-17-2006, 03:41 PM
oh man thats some funny shit

DarrinS
05-17-2006, 03:46 PM
Stop. My ribs. Laughing...tooo...much. Can't...take......much.......more

:sleep

And my posts get slammed for being retarded? :wakeup