PDA

View Full Version : Do we REALLY believe it is an NBA plot?

Spurs Dynasty
05-17-2006, 05:50 PM
Seriously, Spurs fans. Do we really believe there is an NBA conspiracy to defeat the Spurs or run the series longer? I mean, there may be personal motiviations behind each ref's calls, who knows, but Javie and others never got a memo from Stern setting up this thing.

Shitty refeering? Abso-freaking-lutely but not a conspiracy. This type of talk just makes us look silly.

Kori Ellis
05-17-2006, 05:52 PM
I think the only poster who REALLY believes in a pure fix is Flash Gordon.

I'm not sure though.

I think refs suck at times (on both sides) but I don't think the NBA is fixed. I wouldn't watch it if it was.

DarrinS
05-17-2006, 05:53 PM
Conspiracy? No.

Bad refs? Yes.

And, unlike the NFL, the teams can't challenge any calls.

That wouldn't be a bad deal. Each team gets one challenge per game (just like the NFL). If they lose the challenge, they lose a time out.

Shank
05-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Bennett Salvatore very likely tonight.

MannyIsGod
05-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Bennett Salvatore very likely tonight.Not nearly as likely as a Mavs loss.

J.T.
05-17-2006, 05:56 PM
Bennett Salvatore very likely tonight.

Bring it on. Salvatore can't stop us tonight.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-17-2006, 05:57 PM
I think the old refs are too slow and worthless to keep up with today's fast game, and the new refs are too typically arrogant to learn from their mistakes. I think calls going in a teams' favor after someone on that team bitches about calls is NOT a coincidence, but I dont think its predetermined to be "fixed".

tlongII
05-17-2006, 05:58 PM
http://www.seahawks.com/wallScreen/logo.jpg

Hook Dem
05-17-2006, 05:59 PM
I wont go so far as to say it is a conspiracy but I am convinced that some of the refs are intimidated by Mark Cuban. That is fact to me! To each his own. Everyone is free to believe what they want to. This is something the league should look into but everytime it comes to light, Sterns puts it down and professes to the world that the NBA has the best refs possible. That right there is what starts the conspiracy theories. Does anyone think that Stern should take a hike?

DarrinS
05-17-2006, 05:59 PM
I think the old refs are too slow and worthless to keep up with today's fast game, and the new refs are too typically arrogant to learn from their mistakes. I think calls going in a teams' favor after someone on that team bitches about calls is NOT a coincidence, but I dont think its predetermined to be "fixed".

Dude, your avatar is making me sea-sick. :vomit:

DuncanInYourFace
05-17-2006, 06:00 PM
I think the league is making a conscious effort to kill the style of play of pistons and spurs b/c of ratings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Basketball_Association_Nielsen_ratings

Check it out if you don't believe me.
That Spurs/Pistons series last year was one of the most epic basketball battles in the history of the NBA, but the ratings were terrible.

CosmicCowboy
05-17-2006, 06:00 PM
but when they put together two back to back absolutely AWFUL fourth quarters it makes it look bad.

Conspiracy? No. But there are patterns. Refs are human. The refs for tonight have heard the feedback and looked at tape.

I actually expect somewhat of a "makeup" game and think we will see the refs swallow their whistles in the fourth if it is close.

Conspiracy? No. But it is human nature to want to be viewed in a positive fashion and Refs are human. There is no way the Spurs get the ref screwing tonight they got in 3 and 4. Now they just have to play Spurs basketball and put this one away.

Spurs Dynasty
05-17-2006, 06:01 PM
What is the worst in my book is anticipating that a player is going to make a foul and blowing a whistle for a foul... that is disgusting.

Spurs Dynasty
05-17-2006, 06:02 PM
but when they put together two back to back absolutely AWFUL fourth quarters it makes it look bad.

Conspiracy? No. But there are patterns. Refs are human. The refs for tonight have heard the feedback and looked at tape.

I actually expect somewhat of a "makeup" game and think we will see the refs swallow their whistles in the fourth if it is close.

Conspiracy? No. But it is human nature to want to be viewed in a positive fashion and Refs are human. There is no way the Spurs get the ref screwing tonight they got in 3 and 4. Now they just have to play Spurs basketball and put this one away.

Well, if any team deserved some makeup calls, it is the Spurs. I would just settle for a fairly called game.

CosmicCowboy
05-17-2006, 06:03 PM
What is the worst in my book is anticipating that a player is going to make a foul and blowing a whistle for a foul... that is disgusting.

actually, even worse is calling it a jump ball after they do...Spurs have seen that one too this series.

Spurs Dynasty
05-17-2006, 06:04 PM
actually, even worse is calling it a jump ball after they do...Spurs have seen that one too this series.

Yeah, didnt verbalize that but this should simply not be allowed. This is one that i think the league owes us an explaination on.

DaSpurs#1
05-17-2006, 06:05 PM
And, unlike the NFL, the teams can't challenge any calls.

That wouldn't be a bad deal. Each team gets one challenge per game (just like the NFL). If they lose the challenge, they lose a time out.
Conspiracy: No
Biased: Possibly (who will ever know?)
Horrid Refs: Yeah

yep that wouldnt be a bad thing... not at all, maybe up it to 2 challenges per game and 1 extra in OT's

SA Gunslinger
05-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Is it fixed? I don't think so. But as most of us know, referees have certain tendencies when they call a game. I think certain crews are deployed to either call a game close or to let the players play. If a series is really physical and players are on the edge of fighting, I think the NBA will make sure they have a ref that calls the game close.

Certain teams like the Mavs thrive when games are free throw contests. Teams like the Pistons and the Spurs thrive when the players are allowed to decide the game.

That is why it is frustrating. I don't know if the NBA uses certain crews to extend a series, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Spurs Dynasty
05-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Conspiracy: No
Biased: Possibly (who will ever know?)
Horrid Refs: Yeah

yep that wouldnt be a bad thing... not at all, maybe up it to 2 challenges per game and 1 extra in OT's

If we had such a challenge rule, i expect we would be tied 2-2 now.

zemke
05-17-2006, 06:17 PM
I know this is not the way to make a first post (Hi <waves from Lackland AFB>). Yes, I believe there is a conspiracy. I will base it on these observations..

1. SA is the smallest market team in the playoffs. Stern himself stated one year that if he had his way, the Lakers would be playing the Lakers in the finals. The point is; the dollar is driving the train.

2. More of a sub bullet to the above, but it would not surprise me to see the refs actually help the Spurs along late in the game tonight, if only to extend the series! More games, more money.

3. I just cant believe otherwise when I see the whistle being used so much late in the game. The whistle may have not not decided the outcome of games 3,4, but it sure favored the Mavs.

Maybe I am wrong, but I am still pissed. And yes, maybe I am looking through silver and black sunglasses

DaSpurs#1
05-17-2006, 06:17 PM
If we had such a challenge rule, i expect we would be tied 2-2 now.
yep would e tied and possibly up 3-1... maybe there should be an "Eject The Refs" vote between the coach and the fans
:lol :rolleyes :lol :rolleyes

dbreiden83080
05-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Obviously i do not think it is fixed because the league would never get away with it. However every close call has gone against the Spurs in this series and it is not even close. That is what so annoying if we lose it all the trash talking we have to hear from Mav's fans and the reality is if the reffing had been better we would be up 3-1 right now.

Winnipeg_Spur
05-17-2006, 06:21 PM
A challenge system wouldn't really work for things like fouls. Maybe if you could only challenge shot clock issues or things like stepping out of bounds, over and back calls, etc. If you could challenge fouls the whole system would break down, cause really going by the letter of the law there's probably at least 1 foul every possession...

vsnba
05-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Yes , Upcourse

vsnba
05-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Please Steve Kerr artile in yahoo sports

vsnba
05-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Mavs only one game that is second game

vsnba
05-17-2006, 06:26 PM
fuck nba , I am no more watching,