PDA

View Full Version : Steve Kerr "the game has changed"

CosmicCowboy
05-17-2006, 09:24 PM
"Defensive purists won't like it but it's fun to watch. "

Fuck.

that was a paraphrase but it's close. Pop obviously figured this out before we did.

welcome to smallball.

BigDaddyMatty
05-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Steve Kerr can kiss my ass. He's annoying as fuck right now.

JoeChalupa
05-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Steve Kerr rocks!!!

Melmart1
05-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Read Bill Simmons today. He talks of something similar.

????????
05-17-2006, 10:12 PM
The game hasnt changed. The officiating has gotten worse and for some reason Pop wants to abandon the system that won three championships and 63 games this year in favor of playing horry at the 5. real fucking smart.

ALVAREZ6
05-17-2006, 10:15 PM
I hated what Steve Kerr said. Kerr likes the new generation style of basketball, all about offense, offense offense...free layups, free layups, free layups...

This shit is the reason why the Spurs are losing.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-17-2006, 10:15 PM
They have been saying the game will change since 2002 playoffs when Mavs and Kings were the only teams scoring above 100 per game.

It's plausible, but I don't see it yet. (see: clippers)

DuncanInYourFace
05-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Dude they are in the process of changing it right now, what do you think all of detroit's guys in foul trouble was today?

Supergirl
05-17-2006, 10:45 PM
No, the game has changed. The NBA has been slowing shifting the game to be more about offense - case in point, scoring is up across the NBA, Spurs included. The refs are doing what is asked of them - to make the game less about defense and more about shooting and scoring points. It sucks, because I think it makes the game less interesting, and it makes talent and hard work less important.

romsho
05-18-2006, 01:00 AM
Kerr was pretty much incredulous to the fact that Popovich has basically thrown out the Spurs defensive philosophy in this series. Without exactly questioning or challenging Pop, his comments were a nice way of analyzing the idea of beating Dallas playing their style of basketball. I'm not sure he agrees with it. If the Spurs don't win this series, Popovich will be second guessed like never before with his smallball matchup. Rightfully so.

????????
05-18-2006, 01:11 AM
No, the game has changed. The NBA has been slowing shifting the game to be more about offense - case in point, scoring is up across the NBA, Spurs included. The refs are doing what is asked of them - to make the game less about defense and more about shooting and scoring points. It sucks, because I think it makes the game less interesting, and it makes talent and hard work less important.

You are right and this is getting more and more like figure skating every year. Becoming too damn subjective and the refs and league office have too much power over the outcome of games. Figure skating had a scandal, NBA is beginning theirs

baseline bum
05-18-2006, 01:14 AM
2 out of the 3 times the Spurs win the title Stern pulls this rule-change shit the next year to try to keep Duncan from owning the league.

DDS4
05-18-2006, 01:16 AM
Turning into a guard's league. With the handchecking fouls outside the paint yet bigs get mugged in the lane, it's no wonder.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-18-2006, 01:17 AM
Steve Kerr can kiss my ass. He's annoying as fuck right now.
I liked his 3 Bombs...but I don't reallly care for his commentary...it's garbage. I like Sean Elliott's.

spurs=bling
05-18-2006, 01:18 AM
he also said that the spurs really could use Malik. because he can allow the spurs to play small ball, but yet guard Dirk.

spurs=bling
05-18-2006, 01:18 AM
I liked his 3 Bombs...but I don't reallly care for his commentary...it's garbage. I like Sean Elliott's.

I love hearing Sean. he is the best.

baseline bum
05-18-2006, 01:24 AM
I think Kerr does a way better job than Sean. I used to love Hubie on TNT, but ever since he left Memphis he's been in love with the Eastern Conference.

strangeweather
05-18-2006, 11:16 AM

I liked it when the league started moving away from favoring static isolation plays to emphasizing ball movement -- 90s offenses were hard on the eyes.

By contrast, I'm not crazy about the current officiating shift that rolls out a red carpet to the basket -- I think you earn penetration. It's not the end of the world, but I don't really like it.

But I completely disagree that it makes talent and hard work less important. What it does is change which talents are important, and shift where you place the emphasis in your hard work.

The Spurs did a brilliant job of adapting from an isolation offense driven by passing into Tim in the post to a more dynamic offense keyed by passing and penetration. They can adapt to the new system, and they are -- Pop has done a brilliant job of rolling with the changes so far. The only thing that sucks is that he didn't have much warning, and our roster isn't built for the new style yet.

In this new style, it looks like Rasho may be a dinosaur, much as I hate to say it. Nazr has a lot of the physical skills to rock, but his head and his hands are killers. The positive side: if Mahinmi's game develops, he is going to be an epic monster. And on the perimeter, we need to get younger and more athletic (though we're not as unathletic as most people think). But we pretty much already knew that.

Thanks to some great coaching in the face of some surprising changes, we're still in this thing this year. And with some smart roster moves, we'll still be in it for years to come.

Jimcs50
05-18-2006, 11:18 AM
Kerr was pretty much incredulous to the fact that Popovich has basically thrown out the Spurs defensive philosophy in this series. Without exactly questioning or challenging Pop, his comments were a nice way of analyzing the idea of beating Dallas playing their style of basketball. I'm not sure he agrees with it. If the Spurs don't win this series, Popovich will be second guessed like never before with his smallball matchup. Rightfully so.

Exactly.

He does not agree with it, it is quite apparent.

Obstructed_View
05-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Turning into a guard's league. With the handchecking fouls outside the paint yet bigs get mugged in the lane, it's no wonder.
Too bad our fucking muggers are sitting on the bench, having to watch Marquis Daniels and Jerry Stackhouse throwing down uncontested dunks. Gee, if only there were a system in place that, instead of fouling dribblers on the perimeter, just directed them to the shot blockers. I guess you'd actually need shot blockers for that. What a revolutionary idea.

Islymore
05-18-2006, 11:21 AM

You are right and this is getting more and more like figure skating every year. Becoming too damn subjective and the refs and league office have too much power over the outcome of games. Figure skating had a scandal, NBA is beginning theirs

Gotta agree with both statements here. It sux. I like defense-minded basketball. I dont always like the low scoring games, but I do like defense. It is such a major part to the game of BBALL as a whole.

Obstructed_View
05-18-2006, 11:33 AM
If nobody is going to guard anybody, let's just have a fucking free throw contest and give the trophy away before March. No-defense basketball fucking sucks. More scoring does not equal a better game.

picnroll
05-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Pretty sure timvp and Sparky stained their jeans when Kerr talked about the Spurs missing Malik.

Kerr's right the rule's changes don't let you defend on penetration. Pop's scheme of sending everyone baseline, not letting middle penetration is getting harder and harder, particualry when you have one slow moving center, Rasho, and one center who's rarely in the right place, Nazr.

DDS4
05-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Too bad our fucking muggers are sitting on the bench, having to watch Marquis Daniels and Jerry Stackhouse throwing down uncontested dunks. Gee, if only there were a system in place that, instead of fouling dribblers on the perimeter, just directed them to the shot blockers. I guess you'd actually need shot blockers for that. What a revolutionary idea.

That idea is dead. At least for this year.

NASHville
05-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Kerr isn't such a homer as Sean is. I like Steve's commentary.

CosmicCowboy
05-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Read Bill Simmons today. He talks of something similar.

Damn. Good read. All Spurs fans should read this article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060517

welcome to smallball.

ploto
05-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Then why could the Eastern Conference Finals pit Miami vs. Cleveland- both teams with centers about 7'2"?

dmac
05-18-2006, 01:11 PM
Dude they are in the process of changing it right now, what do you think all of detroit's guys in foul trouble was today?
more fouls=longer games=more $$$