PDA

View Full Version : As Nice as the Win Is

DuncanInYourFace
05-18-2006, 01:56 AM
I still don't think small ball is the right strategy

Game was basically a toss-up, and Dirk wins it at the buzzer if he has a clue about how much time is on the clock.

Winning 2 more toss-up games will NOT be easy

2centsworth
05-18-2006, 01:57 AM
I still don't think small ball is the right strategy

Game was basically a toss-up, and Dirk wins it at the buzzer if he has a clue about how much time is on the clock.

Winning 2 more toss-up games will NOT be easy
mavs had a lot of confidence going in which makes for great jump shooting. Game 6 pressure should tighten the rim.

RON ARTEST
05-18-2006, 02:02 AM
Game 6 pressure should tighten the rim.
you could say that about both teams.

T Park
05-18-2006, 02:02 AM
Id love for people to answer,

who does the second big man cover,

Harris?

Stackhouse?

Changing the starting lineup dictated the move to a smaller lineup as well.

Good god people.

You can't have another big in there and expect him to guard the rim AND guard someone else.

They will just put his player on the outside and draw 3 second violations till you fuckin puke.

intlspurshk
05-18-2006, 02:03 AM
I don't like the fact that SPURS won by 1 pt in both games. It was too damn close which proves that the difference between Mavs and small-ball SPURS is very small, with or without ref's help. It comes down to who execute the games better and SPURS have not yet performed very good in this aspect yet.

2centsworth
05-18-2006, 02:04 AM
you could say that about both teams.
except that the spurs have played under those circumstances every year since duncan has been here. They are used to it.

objective
05-18-2006, 02:05 AM
small ball is defendable when Dirk is missing shots and only being bailed out by refs.

But he was torching guys tonight and even took it to the rim.

If he's going to be torching guys, why not let him torch a big man who can at least help on the boards and with blocks?

Parkersgirl9
05-18-2006, 02:06 AM
It doesn't seem right playing small ball. I am not used to the Spurs playing almost no defense at all, I think they are just gonna have to deal with it. I think they can win any style when it comes down to it. Also at the end of game 5, spurs won at the end with thier tenacity on defense. So I think they just need to up the enery at Dallas....

Cant_Be_Faded
05-18-2006, 02:07 AM
small ball has worked for 2 out of 5 times against the mavs

spurs had a chance to win game 4
mavs had a chance to win game 5

so they cancel out

i believe in this (stupid) strategy now, but it's still a gamble in every sense of the word

DuncanInYourFace
05-18-2006, 02:08 AM
Id love for people to answer,

who does the second big man cover,

Harris?

Stackhouse?

Changing the starting lineup dictated the move to a smaller lineup as well.

Good god people.

You can't have another big in there and expect him to guard the rim AND guard someone else.

They will just put his player on the outside and draw 3 second violations till you fuckin puke.

I don't see how our defense could get any worse, and at least with another big we could *maybe* get a rebound.

timvp
05-18-2006, 02:09 AM
Small Ball is a necessary evil against this team with the current Spurs' roster. I wish there was another way to go but the Spurs don't have any other options.

Too late to switch lanes now.

polandprzem
05-18-2006, 02:11 AM
Justb pray nobody go off for the mavs and pray for Horry to stepup

Buddy Holly
05-18-2006, 02:11 AM
Actually, I like small ball, if the Spurs are playing the type of D they did in the final minutes of this game.

However, little fuck ups can cost us, like being up 95-92 and then Parker turning it over and am, tied 95-95 because of careless transition D.

polandprzem
05-18-2006, 02:16 AM
Yeah it's all in transition right now.
But look at the athletic mavs team. They are playing their game and have more ppl to run (that means more rest and more energy to run and leave everything on the floor).
That is the key - transision both ways

SenorSpur
05-18-2006, 02:24 AM
Anyone hear the point Steve Kerr made about the Spurs missing Malik Rose in this series?

His contention was Malik was versatile enough to go out and guard Dirk on the perimeter, yet had the bulk to challenge him in the post.

His point in bringing it up was the Spurs expected Robert Horry to be able to somewhat neutralize Dirk - it hasn't happened.

T Park
05-18-2006, 02:27 AM
His point in bringing it up was the Spurs expected Robert Horry to be able to somewhat neutralize Dirk - it hasn't happened

I thought Horry was playing Dirk decently.

He was rebounding the hell out of the ball too...

T Park
05-18-2006, 02:28 AM
and at least with another big we could *maybe* get a rebound.

Another big would just be more fouls and more easy points for the Mavericks.

Screw em.

orhe
05-18-2006, 02:31 AM
we need Hedo!
RC pls draft a 6 10 Small Forward

aaronstampler
05-18-2006, 02:53 AM
I don't think big ball would necessarily be a bad thing for us against the Mavs. On offense we could use our 2nd big to set screens for Manu and Tony and they could still drive the lane and dish it off to TD for layups or dunks, or they can pass behind them on the pick at the top of the key for an Horry 3. Plus we could maybe get some offensive rebounds with two bigs.

On defense, have the 2nd big guard Dirk. Keep Duncan in the lane for shot blocking and rebounding. Have Bruce guard whoever's the 2nd hottest guy, whether it's Howard or Terry or Harris or Stack or whoever. Let Dirk get his 40, shut everyone else down and end the layup line by their guards.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-18-2006, 03:47 AM
I don't like the fact that SPURS won by 1 pt in both games. It was too damn close which proves that the difference between Mavs and small-ball SPURS is very small, with or without ref's help. It comes down to who execute the games better and SPURS have not yet performed very good in this aspect yet.
Mavs won two games decided by one basket or two...We won two games decided by one basket each time.

Mavs blew us out at home on game 2....

BELIEVEEE....we're due to blow them out at their home now for game 6...

kalikot_boy_kr
05-18-2006, 07:48 AM
where those sucking shit mavs fan in this forum? hahhahaha!

BigBinBigD
05-18-2006, 07:57 AM
where those sucking shit mavs fan in this forum? hahhahaha!

Here we are. Another awesome game. Congrats to you guys. Just like all the others, could have gone either way. If TP wasn't pulling in Dirk's jersey, etc, etc... :rolleyes Anyway, I'm not hearing alot of confidence around here, just a bunch of "we can't win at their game" stuff. Much as I hate Pop, he's clearly doing the right thing. Try to go big and the Spurs will get run out of the gym as long as Harris stays out of foul trouble. Y'all are basketball fans, not just homers, you should know that. Good luck Friday night, seriously.

101A
05-18-2006, 08:03 AM
Small ball has worked.

The two games LOST playing small ball were lost because the call was made putting Dirk at the line w/<10 seconds. The two the Spurs wons? The call wasn't made. It's almost comical how ALL 4 games came down to the same thing (and funny how in 4 tries Dirk has not made a bucket)!

The strategy is to keep them game close, then let the defense and intensity turn up the last couple of wins, and pull out the "W" - ala Phoenix last year. It has worked beutifully. How many legitimate scores have the Mavericks gotten the last 3-4 minutes of each game?

Unfortunately it rides on the officiating in game 6.

The good news?

Nothings gets better ratings than a game 7!

SequSpur
05-18-2006, 08:27 AM
Small ball hasn't helped the Spurs on defense at all. When the Spurs were up by 8, small ball allowed dallas to get back in the game in 30 seconds.

Small ball allows layups and dunks.

The Spurs need to play 2 bigs no matter what and force them to take outside shots. Duncan can guard Dirk. The dude has a fucked up ankle and he's setting the scoring percentage record because we have 6 footers guarding him. Yeah, that's real fucking smart.

If the Spurs play this same bullshit in Game 6, they lose by 10.

Louae
05-18-2006, 08:51 AM
well, i don't see how it could hurt to experiment with putting a big man in there. especially if we're gonna be putting old man van exel in there for 12 minutes a game. There's no possible way Nazr can do worse than old man van exel. the man is a human sieve.

ctpsb
05-18-2006, 09:04 AM
I don't think big ball would necessarily be a bad thing for us against the Mavs. On offense we could use our 2nd big to set screens for Manu and Tony and they could still drive the lane and dish it off to TD for layups or dunks, or they can pass behind them on the pick at the top of the key for an Horry 3. Plus we could maybe get some offensive rebounds with two bigs.

On defense, have the 2nd big guard Dirk. Keep Duncan in the lane for shot blocking and rebounding. Have Bruce guard whoever's the 2nd hottest guy, whether it's Howard or Terry or Harris or Stack or whoever. Let Dirk get his 40, shut everyone else down and end the layup line by their guards.

Here are my thoughts. I still think we can go two bigs sometimes and even mix in a little bit of zone. However I think we may be starting to get a little feel. It seemed the Mavs were not driving to the rim as much as just unconsciously hitting their jumpers. Finley may start being the defender on Dirk while Bowen can take the hot hand at the moment (Howard, Terry, Harris, etc.) This is basically repeating the quote that I agree with.

intlspurshk
05-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Actually, I like small ball, if the Spurs are playing the type of D they did in the final minutes of this game.

However, little fuck ups can cost us, like being up 95-92 and then Parker turning it over and am, tied 95-95 because of careless transition D.
That's not possible. SPURS don't have enough athletic and healthy players to play all time small balls. Mavs have. So, TP, TD & even Manu declined in 4th Q and Mavs alway come back in the 4th Q. There's a reason why all TO appear in late 3Q and 4Q.