PDA

View Full Version : I still hate Kobe...

RonMexico
05-18-2006, 02:34 AM
... but he was pretty good tonight on Inside the NBA and during halftime. He seemed to tone down a lot of his ego and (unlike Magic) was very articulate and provided some excellent insight into the players' side of the games. I wouldn't mind seeing more of him in the analyst role after he retires... if he feels the need to do such a thing. We finally got to see both sides of Kobe tonight: the arrogant, "octagon" spouting Kobe, and the intelligent, thoughtful, and well-spoken one. I nominate him to replace Reggie and Magic on a near-permanent basis... even during the regular season - he can be the Deon Sanders of analysts - playing the game by day, then hopping on the jet and being in Atlanta by night.

2centsworth
05-18-2006, 02:37 AM
Kobe is a freakin Monster baller.

gospursgojas
05-18-2006, 02:39 AM
:tu

He did a very good job tonight...

Ohh and I agree with you x1000 on him being better than Reggie, I mean I hated him on the halftime/postgame show, but now his on as a color.... Man he is horrible, remeber at the end of game 2 of the Sac series, the play where barry hit that bounce in three, Reggie said "I dont know about Manu being guarded by Francisco Rodriguez" refering to Fransisco Garcia.... man that did it for me, I mute the game when hes on

SenorSpur
05-18-2006, 02:39 AM
I agree. Kobe was insightful and articulate, It was fun listening to his analysis.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-18-2006, 02:40 AM
Kobe was doing damage controll...of course he would come off favorably...I mean even I liked his presentation....

I still hate his ass...on a fan level...but He had a lot of nice things to say about Ginobili...and had good analysis.
also I liked how Barkley took subtle jabs at him..:lol

Winnipeg_Spur
05-18-2006, 02:41 AM
Yeah he was great when he wasn't talking about 20-25 point quarters. :)

LakerHater
05-18-2006, 02:43 AM
yeah I'm starting too not like Reggie also, like when he said that Manu got what he deserved when he got a bloody lip

RonMexico
05-18-2006, 02:45 AM
Yeah, exactly - he had a good dynamic with all of them in the studio tonight. It could just be another "show" by Kobe, but I can at least tolerate him in this sense because he made great points and didn't just sit there and keep saying that Indiana should be a title contender over and over again (a la Reggie). He and Chuck had a few friendly jabs at each other and he had a nice game going with Kenny over "Kenny's/Kobe's Pictures." All-in-all, much more fun than some of the other wash-ups that have been in there. I still haven't forgiven him for all those stupid game faces and fist pumps and general Kobe attitude on the floor... yet.

On another note, gospursgojas, thank God you agree with me on Reggie. Not only is his voice annoying, his jokes aren't funny, his analysis is idiotic sometimes, but also his dyke sister has to roll along with him as sideline reporter to every game. I don't know who is worse yet - Doug Collins (for always mentioning who and when he used to coach/play against), Reggie, or Magic.

LakerHater
05-18-2006, 02:45 AM
... but he was pretty good tonight on Inside the NBA and during halftime. He seemed to tone down a lot of his ego and (unlike Magic) was very articulate and provided some excellent insight into the players' side of the games. I wouldn't mind seeing more of him in the analyst role after he retires... if he feels the need to do such a thing. We finally got to see both sides of Kobe tonight: the arrogant, "octagon" spouting Kobe, and the intelligent, thoughtful, and well-spoken one. I nominate him to replace Reggie and Magic on a near-permanent basis... even during the regular season - he can be the Deon Sanders of analysts - playing the game by day, then hopping on the jet and being in Atlanta by night. I really don't think that Kobe can hang in a full contact fight:lol

RonMexico
05-18-2006, 02:47 AM
yeah I'm starting too like when he said that Manu got what he deserved when he got a bloody lip

When was that? Are you talking about Reggie or Kobe? Sounds like something Reggie (master flopper of them all) would say. That's another thing, Reggie is the most hypocritical of all the analysts I've ever heard - calling out people for playing tough defense (which he never did) or when they are flopping (which he did all the time), or when they are taunting other people (uh, Spike Lee).

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
yeah I'm starting too like when he said that Manu got what he deserved when he got a bloody lip
when'd that happen?

trueD
Yeah, have to admit Kobe sounded very smooth, a strong candidate for suck-up-artist of the night fo sure.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/trudyfan/KobeVanessa.jpg

Kori Ellis
05-18-2006, 02:48 AM
I caught a glance of it when I was at the Spurs game.

Was he wearing a baby blue sweater?

RonMexico
05-18-2006, 02:48 AM
Yeah he was great when he wasn't talking about 20-25 point quarters. :)

Haha, yeah - he still needs to get his accomplishments into the broadcasts somehow... I mean, he is Kobe...

gospursgojas
05-18-2006, 02:49 AM
Reggie also scared Piston fans tonight by proclaiming Sheed would be suspended for game 6 :lol DUMBASS

RonMexico
05-18-2006, 02:50 AM

Yeah, looking stylish even... I guess he can go back to being a douche the other 364 days of the year...

gospursgojas
05-18-2006, 02:51 AM

:lol
He was wearing a babyblue collared shirt with a babyblue sweater vest and an orange tie, my wife laughed at him, but I thought it looked cool... except maybe to Jay Zish

Melmart1

Yeah, that was him. :lol

I thought he was articulate, had great composure and was a natural. He had excellent points and was very fair to every team/player he spoke about. Good stuff! :tu

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
I liked how Kobe compared Manu to Lebron as a "momentum changer" and said his game was unique....(You only know he respects Manu's game because Manu's offensive style of attacking the rim is similar to Kobe's some nights...basically Manu reminds him of himself so it's a gimme why he's stated Manu is one of his favorite players)

I think Kobe gives compliments to some of our Spurs teammates because the Spurs were the ones that made him cry in 2003. Kobe is Darth Vader to Manu's Obi Wan.

RonMexico
Reggie also scared Piston fans tonight by proclaiming Sheed would be suspended for game 6 :lol DUMBASS

Oh yeah - that was classic... "That's a suspension - blah, blah, blah... oh, wait, it's only after 7 technicals..."

Winnipeg_Spur
05-18-2006, 02:53 AM
Hah, I heard that too, and for a second I believed him, but then I realized it was Reggie and was pretty sure he got that wrong. It turned out he wasn't even close. :lol

RonMexico
05-18-2006, 02:54 AM
I liked how Kobe compared Manu to Lebron as a "momentum changer" and said his game was unique....(You only know he respects Manu's game because Manu's offensive style of attacking the rim is similar to Kobe's some nights...basically Manu reminds him of himself so it's a gimme why he's stated Manu is one of his favorite players)

I think Kobe gives compliments to some of our Spurs teammates because the Spurs were the ones that made him cry in 2003. Kobe is Darth Vader to Manu's Obi Wan.

Yeah, like I said earlier - he is Kobe, so the massive ego has to come out somehow... whether he's talking about 20 point quarters or saying that he likes Manu's game (whose slashing style reminds him of his own). I liked that he toned down the comparisons between him and MJ, though - that was pretty cool of him.

whottt
05-18-2006, 02:58 AM
Kobe nailed what they key to winning the game would be....Manu creating havock and hustling on the defensive end...he was right. I give him credit for that because I damn sure couldn't think of anything else the Spurs could do using the small lineup.

Kobe has always been pretty well spoken. I remember a few years ago when everyone was saying Duncan didn't deserve his MVP...that Shaq deserved it, that Kidd deserved it...Kobe was the only guy that said Duncan deserved it, when Shaq was his teamate.

IF Kobe did some of the bad things he's been accused of doing then he is a true scumbag...but in interviews he's never been anything but a good sport and well spoken.

You never hear Kobe whine about Bowen...you never hear him blame the refs...

I never despised him as much as Phil and Shaq...

But I'll never forget his "rip their hearts out" tirade from 2001 though...I will thorughly enjoy watching Bowen whip his ass until the end of time because of those comments....

RonMexico
05-18-2006, 03:01 AM
Kobe nailed what they key to winning the game would be....Manu creating havock and hustling on the defensive end...he was right. I give him credit for that because I damn sure couldn't think of anything else the Spurs could do using the small lineup.

Kobe has always been pretty well spoken. I remember a few years ago when everyone was saying Duncan didn't deserve his MVP...that Shaq deserved it, that Kidd deserved it...Kobe was the only guy that said Duncan deserved it, when Shaq was his teamate.

IF Kobe did some of the bad things he's been accused of doing then he is a true scumbag...but in interviews he's never been anything but a good sport and well spoken.

But I'll never forget his "rip their hearts out" tirade from 2001 though...I will thorughly enjoy watching Bowen whip his ass until the end of time because of those comments....

Yeah, we all have a part of basketball/on-the-court Kobe that we hate and will always hate... but he was pretty cool and collected tonight and mentioned that Manu has influence on both sides of the ball.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-18-2006, 03:02 AM

Kobe' was never stupid...You can't be an elite player by being dumb...He knows how to play the game..or "Hypothetically" he knows. He just tries to override that when HE's ON the Court...when he's away from the X's and O's....

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-18-2006, 03:06 AM
Yeah, we all have a part of basketball/on-the-court Kobe that we hate and will always hate... but he was pretty cool and collected tonight and mentioned that Manu has influence on both sides of the ball.
Kobe's very good with PR...I'm not surprised I didn't mind his articulation. ...But we all know this is the guy who laughed at the idea of Suns coming back to a reporter's question after being up 3-1...and saying to Raja Bell, "I've got bigger fish to fry" we know that when he's not paying attention to keep up appearances the true Cocky-arrogant Kobe comes out...It's only a game of a ticking-time bomb...But when he's off in the post-season, he's no threat because he's beaten so yeah..I like the defeated Kobe. Not the Victorious one...

Tigole Bitties
05-18-2006, 03:06 AM
Kenny Smith really put Kobe on the spot when he asked him to compare himself to Jordan.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-18-2006, 03:07 AM
Kenny Smith really put Kobe on the spot when he asked him to compare himself to Jordan.
If I were Kobe I'd be annoyed too...Naturally that question bugs to be compared to past greats constantly...it's bitter sweet...

RonMexico
05-18-2006, 03:07 AM

He handled it well, though... and very honestly - he realizes him and MJ have different influences on the game, the marketing, the fans, and that they're two different types of people and players.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-18-2006, 03:08 AM
He handled it well, though... and very honestly - he realizes him and MJ have different influences on the game, the marketing, the fans, and that they're two different types of people and players.
Yeah...

MJ was great at it.
He stinks.

Gerryatrics
05-18-2006, 03:09 AM
I think Kobe did a great job tonight. I would also much rather have him than Reggie Miller, I tune him out every time I hear him now.

RonMexico
05-18-2006, 03:10 AM
And MJ had to work a lot to get his rings, while Kobe pretty walked into 3 early championships when the Lakers signed old Shaq and Phil.

RonMexico
05-18-2006, 03:12 AM
I think Kobe did a great job tonight. I would also much rather have him than Reggie Miller, I tune him out every time I hear him now.

Yeah, we should probably start a "Reggie Quote of the Night" thread to make his broadcasts more tolerable and somewhat entertaining. At least Walton doesn't anger me as much as he used to because I can just shake my head and have a puzzled look on my face (because Walton is probably still stoned from his college years), but Reggie actually thinks he's intelligent and witty... which we all know he isn't.

J.T.
05-18-2006, 03:14 AM
I thought Kobe did awesome tonight. I was telling my father how I think Kobe should do broadcast after he retires. He's really well-spoken and he really had some interesting things to say. Props to him giving credit to Manu and Bruce. I know he has shown respect to Bruce in the past, but he's consistent with it. He was class tonight. Real class. I'd like to see him back on Inside the NBA, and I'm sure they'll invite him back in the next round.

Although Inside the NBA is nothing without Charles.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-18-2006, 03:14 AM
Finally, Kobe has reached a venue where he actually neutralizes the population of BB fans, instead of Polarizing it.

RonMexico
05-18-2006, 03:15 AM
I thought Kobe did awesome tonight. I was telling my father how I think Kobe should do broadcast after he retires. He's really well-spoken and he really had some interesting things to say. Props to him giving credit to Manu and Bruce. I know he has shown respect to Bruce in the past, but he's consistent with it. He was class tonight. Real class. I'd like to see him back on Inside the NBA, and I'm sure they'll invite him back in the next round.

Although Inside the NBA is nothing without Charles.

Spot on - exactly... very classy tonight - more grown up Kobe... still can't buy any explanation he has for changing his number, though...

whottt
05-18-2006, 03:17 AM
And MJ had to work a lot to get his rings, while Kobe pretty walked into 3 early championships when the Lakers signed old Shaq and Phil.

Gotta disagree with this to an extent...at least where the Spurs are concerned....Kobe absolutely destroyed us in 2001.

I mean yeah, Shaq was the main key...but at least one of their titles Kobe was the key to beating us...

Oh and to whoever said he is arrogant when he wins, you are right, he is a lot more likeable when he's defeated.

RonMexico
05-18-2006, 03:20 AM
Gotta disagree with this to an extent...at least where the Spurs are concerned....Kobe absolutely destroyed us in 2001.

I mean yeah, Shaq was the main key...but at least one of their titles Kobe was the key to beating us...

Oh and to whoever said he is arrogant when he wins, you are right, he is a lot more likeable when he's defeated.

Well, true, but it's not like he scored 81 a game on you guys. Shaq + Phil's presence helped Kobe win those championships is my main point. Phil almost got him to the second round this year too...

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-18-2006, 03:21 AM
Spot on - exactly... very classy tonight - more grown up Kobe... still can't buy any explanation he has for changing his number, though...
24 > 23

23 gone, up next 24

He said it was in High School so he probably had that in mind...

That and he's been in the league for 10 years almost...It's a good business move, maybe supported by his agent, because Wade and Lebron beat him in sales...Changing his number will play into him having the excuse of "being the leader of the team now, 8 has baggage blah blah" and now his fans have start buying 24...and lazy Kobe fans have to start stocking up on number 8 while they still can.

MissAllThat
05-18-2006, 03:22 AM
I've always had a soft spot for Kobe. A soft spot that was covered up by years of hating him because off the arrogant prick he became, but moments like tonight make me realize why I used to like him. He did a very godo job tonight. Now as for that Kobe we saw in interviews last round...he made me want to barf.

RonMexico
05-18-2006, 03:23 AM
I've always had a soft spot for Kobe. A soft spot that was covered up by years of hating him because off the arrogant prick he became, but moments like tonight make me realize why I used to like him. He did a very godo job tonight. Now as for that Kobe we saw in interviews last round...he made me want to barf.

Exactly - calling out Raja was pretty lame sometimes... "maybe he wasn't hugged enough as a kid..."

RonMexico
05-18-2006, 03:25 AM
24 > 23

23 gone, up next 24

He said it was in High School so he probably had that in mind...

That and he's been in the league for 10 years almost...It's a good business move, maybe supported by his agent, because Wade and Lebron beat him in sales...Changing his number will play into him having the excuse of "being the leader of the team now, 8 has baggage blah blah" and now his fans have start buying 24...and lazy Kobe fans have to start stocking up on number 8 while they still can.

No, I know all the symbolic and business-savvy reasons to do the number change (24 = "next Jordan" and then selling more jerseys)... but none of those reasons will ever justify the decision for me, if you know what I mean.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-18-2006, 03:25 AM
Well, true, but it's not like he scored 81 a game on you guys. Shaq + Phil's presence helped Kobe win those championships is my main point. Phil almost got him to the second round this year too...

...But yeah Kobe got in a few KEY wins one year...but Shaq really did win those 3 rings..That man was unstoppable...

I think Shaq could have had another swingman like Tmac, etc. do the Job in the 4th

but Kobe's the best swingman, 2 guard option you can find, because in part by his talent + overconfidence....

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-18-2006, 03:28 AM
No, I know all the symbolic and business-savvy reasons to do the number change (24 = "next Jordan" and then selling more jerseys)... but none of those reasons will ever justify the decision for me, if you know what I mean.
oh yeah...

Kobe probably banking on the fact that he can say "It was my high school number" and since he was immature at the time with that 24 stuff....he can say "I was" if it ever comes up....He can hide behind that...

I think some Basketball guru should dish out the other "great players who changed their jersey number WHILE ON THE SAME TEAM " to justify Kobe's decision...
....excluding Jordan's return.

Until then. He's really a thin-skinned weirdo egomaniac.

RonMexico
05-18-2006, 03:31 AM
oh yeah...

Kobe probably banking on the fact that he can say "It was my high school number" and since he was immature at the time with that 24 stuff....he can say "I was" if it ever comes up....He can hide behind that...

I think some Basketball guru should dish out the other "great players who changed their jersey number WHILE ON THE SAME TEAM " to justify Kobe's decision...
....excluding Jordan's return.

Until then. He's really a thin-skinned weirdo egomaniac.

Exactly - I still can't think of any other player changing his number, except the year Barkley changed his to 32 in honor of Magic having to retire because he got AIDS... much less egomaniacial than Kobe's decision seems to be...

gospursgojas
05-18-2006, 03:35 AM
Exactly - I still can't think of any other player changing his number, except the year Barkley changed his to 32 in honor of Magic having to retire because he got AIDS... much less egomaniacial than Kobe's decision seems to be...

There is probally a real reason why, something drawn up by Kobes PR people. His 24/7 reason is just too stupid even for kobe

TDMVPDPOY
05-18-2006, 03:35 AM
he better than jalen rose?

ENTERTAINUS_CARNIVOROUS
05-18-2006, 03:43 AM
I have always liked Kobe for some strange reason. Maybe it is because I hate Shaq so much. Either way, I think he did a great job tonight. He seemed very comfortable and made good commentary. The props to Manu and Bowen was pretty classy. Say what you will about the guy, but he is a great player. I actually found myself rooting for the Lakers when they played Phoenix, but I think that is mostly do to my hatred of Mike D'Antoni.

P.S. Who did the TNT guys have on as a guest commentator in the past few weeks? Was it Grant Hill? Whoever it was, he sucked.

RonMexico
05-18-2006, 03:50 AM
I love when Doug Collins is commentator for the Spurs. He really knows his shit. My favorite combo was tonight's game, Kerr and Marv. They really have good chemistry and are funny.

Doug has a lot of knowledge, but he's just very annoying... like whenever I hear Sean Elliott do a game... "gravy gravy gravy"... just grates on me...

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-18-2006, 03:50 AM
I actually found myself rooting for the Lakers when they played Phoenix, but I think that is mostly do to my hatred of Mike D'Antoni.
I don't mind Antoni, except that Porn-stache' he sports...

The guy can't be that bad, after all...when he worked for the Spurs org. he was the one that recommended we draft Manu...

RonMexico
05-18-2006, 03:53 AM
I don't mind Antoni, except that Porn-stache' he sports...

The guy can't be that bad, after all...when he worked for the Spurs org. he was the one that recommended we draft Manu...

Yeah, I don't know why people get mad at D'Antoni... he has a dumb moustache, but he's a really nice guy and he's never been an AJ/Phil type in press conferences... he and Pop have similar press conference attitudes, but Mike is a bigger happy jokester than Pop, who has a real dry sense of humor. Makes sense, since Mike spent a lot of time in Italy (free-wheeling) and Pop spent time in the service (structured).

5ToolMan
05-18-2006, 05:42 AM
Kobe kept saying Manu's play was changing the complexity of the game. I don't know if he was coining a new phrase, or intended to give Manu credit for changing the complexion of the game with huge plays.

alamo50
05-18-2006, 09:03 AM
He seemed to tone down a lot of his ego and (unlike Magic)

Are you fucking kidding me?
Didn't you get it when Ernie asked him who was better at LeBron's age, Kobe or MJ?

Kobe answered directly: "ME".
But luckily no attention was given to it.

Fuck Kobe.

Jimcs50
05-18-2006, 09:07 AM
... but he was pretty good tonight on Inside the NBA and during halftime. He seemed to tone down a lot of his ego and (unlike Magic) was very articulate and provided some excellent insight into the players' side of the games. I wouldn't mind seeing more of him in the analyst role after he retires... if he feels the need to do such a thing. We finally got to see both sides of Kobe tonight: the arrogant, "octagon" spouting Kobe, and the intelligent, thoughtful, and well-spoken one. I nominate him to replace Reggie and Magic on a near-permanent basis... even during the regular season - he can be the Deon Sanders of analysts - playing the game by day, then hopping on the jet and being in Atlanta by night.

He will not be back, but he did a great job, and Charles and Kenny were almost shrinking in his presence, because they know that Kobe is probably one of the top 3 guards all time in this league. Kobe said that Manu was a great defensive player and he predicted that Manu would make the plays in the 2nd half to win the game....he was right.

:smokin

pache100
05-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Did Shaq teach him to mumble? He got a little better as he progressed, but at first I couldn't understand a damn thing he said. He was ok.

Fuck Kobe. :madrun

OMG...I'm about to run screaming into the night...I agree with you again.

missmyzte
05-18-2006, 09:16 AM
Are you fucking kidding me?
Didn't you get it when Ernie asked him who was better at LeBron's age, Kobe or MJ?

Kobe answered directly: "ME".
But luckily no attention was given to it.

Fuck Kobe.
Actually, no, I didn't hear him say that. He just said that he was skinnier at that age than LeBron is, they all laughed and moved on. I never heard him say that he was better than LeBron.

Phenomanul
05-18-2006, 09:26 AM
Actually, no, I didn't hear him say that. He just said that he was skinnier at that age than LeBron is, they all laughed and moved on. I never heard him say that he was better than LeBron.

That's what I heard.... hmmmm.

nkdlunch
05-18-2006, 09:34 AM
So what? u making millions, u on summer vacation, and u getting mad pussy

of course u gonna be in a good mood

SA210
05-18-2006, 10:21 AM
I hate to say it, but Kobe was pretty awsome. I think one reason I liked it, was that he is one of the greatest offensive players in the game, and he gave his perpective on Manu and how Manu makes an offensive play like no other, and how he broke down with Kenny on what he is thinking on a game winning shot.

And he was right about Manu in halftime. He said we needed Manu to play like the defensive Manu of the past. And that's pretty much how we got the win, along with Bruce's play as well.

It was great to hear him speak on the game of basketball.

All that stuff was awesome.

Good job Kobe. :tu

1Parker1
05-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Kobe's very good with PR...I'm not surprised I didn't mind his articulation. ...But we all know this is the guy who laughed at the idea of Suns coming back to a reporter's question after being up 3-1...and saying to Raja Bell, "I've got bigger fish to fry" we know that when he's not paying attention to keep up appearances the true Cocky-arrogant Kobe comes out......

That's the game of basketball. Besides, Raja Bell was talking his own smack in that series, Kobe was just responding to that.

1Parker1
05-18-2006, 10:39 AM
BTW, Kobe made one excellent point besides the Manu/Bruce props that I agreed with and I think will be key to Game 6. I can't remember the exact quote, but he said something like, the key for the Spurs is playing some defense at the other end and getting stops for an extended period of time, where they can pull away. He said, their offense is there with their 60% shooting and TD and TP playing great. But if they can just stop the Mavs at the other end and go on a some sort of run, that can be a momentum changer.