PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Worlds " 100 Worst Riffs,Licks, and Solos"

pooh
10-10-2004, 05:29 PM
Guitar Worlds " 100 Worst Riffs,Licks, and Solos"
From Eddie Trunk.Com

The Associated Press is reporting that Guitar World magazine has selected the "100 Worst Riffs, Licks & Solos of All Time," identifying ones that are "lazy," "boring," "just plain stoopid," or "involve C.C. DeVille."

The list includes songs by DAVID BOWIE, DEF LEPPARD, METALLICA, GREEN DAY, B.B. KING, THE GRATEFUL DEAD, JIMI HENDRIX, AEROSMITH and THE STROKES, among others. Many are guitar legends who simply had a bad night or bum note.

Guitar World describes the No. 1 selection, POISON guitarist C.C. DeVille's nine-minute solo — entitled, appropriately enough, "Guitar Solo" (off POISON's "Swallow This Live") — "completely devoid of taste, structure or steady tempo" and recommends every budding guitarist listen to it because "surely, they can't do any worse."

DeVille was also cited for his "Cherry Pie" solo when he made a guest appearance with WARRANT and POISON's "Every Rose Has Its Thorn".

The magazine recommends DeVille "take solace in the fact that he's in some rather good company."

Top 10 "Worst Riffs, Licks & Solos of All Time" as selected by Guitar World magazine:

01. POISON – "Guitar Solo"
02. BLUE CHEER - "Summertime Blues"
03. CARLOS SANTANA - "The Game of Love"
04. CREAM - Falstaff beer 1967 radio spot
05. THE BEATLES - "All You Need is Love"
06. BLACK FLAG – "Thirsty and Miserable"
07. TED NUGENT - "Wango Tango"
08. ROLLING STONES - "Ain't Too Proud to Beg"
09. MANOWAR - "Sting of the Bumblebee"
10. LENNY KRAVITZ - "American Woman"Link (http://www.eddietrunk.com/news/article.php?news_id=1526)

Duff McCartney
10-10-2004, 06:32 PM
05. THE BEATLES - "All You Need is Love"

That's hardly a solo but I guess you can consider it one. I personally like it because of the context of the song. The more important thing in that song is the message...not the guitar solo... :music

KEDA
10-10-2004, 10:36 PM
any Metallica song should be on that list!

Useruser666
10-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Ok, I might be wrong but what about "Free Byrd"?

Or, and I forget, that Sony Walkman theme.

Guru of Nothing
10-11-2004, 08:05 PM
Got to add Neil Young and Crazy Horse to this list. Great music, but the lead guitar segments are often hilarious - it's as if the right hand is willing, but the left hand is not.

Useruser666
10-12-2004, 08:05 AM
it's as if the right hand is willing, but the left hand is not.

Um, I believe you're thinking of a different type of solo !

MannyIsGod
10-12-2004, 07:06 PM
I dig the guitar in Down By the River.

Hank Hill
10-15-2004, 09:47 AM
That there Willie Nelson plays a pretty mean guitar, I tell you what!!