PDA

View Full Version : Online Petition To Stop Small Ball

PeterBurns
05-18-2006, 09:22 AM
Online Petition To Stop Small Ball (http://www.petitiononline.com/pb2510/petition.html)

I'll try to get to guys to promote it on air....

nkdlunch
05-18-2006, 09:41 AM
nice try but... I don't thing traditional Spurs ball will work either. Truth is I don't know and I don't think anyone knows what will work.

At least we're not getting beat by 20 like in game 2.... We really need to get lucky and catch a few more breaks to win this series.

LilMissSPURfect
05-18-2006, 09:41 AM
Free Nazr
Free Rasho
Free Beno!!!
Where's KIWI!!!!!

PeterBurns
05-18-2006, 09:42 AM
nice try but... I don't thing traditional Spurs ball will work either. Truth is I don't know and I don't think anyone knows what will work.

At least we're not getting beat by 20 like in game 2.... We really need to get lucky and catch a few more breaks to win this series.

I'm just asking to try it out.
If you play their type of ball, it a close matchup. Why not give it a shot?

Rick Von Braun
05-18-2006, 09:42 AM
I agree with most in this thread.

I will be rooting for them to win, and I'll be very happy if they comeback in the series and eliminate Dallas. I have not given up, and I think there is still a chance.

However, this no defense crap has to stop.

Winning or losing, there is one thing quite clear: Pop has been outcoached so far in the series.

The most ridicule thing is that the Spurs are not able to impose their pace and their style in the game. They must force Dallas to adjust to them, not the other way around.

Spurs were always able to get 4 consecutive stops when they needed it at critical parts of the game, and shutdown the opponent. The current Spurs' defense is a sponge... holes everywhere.

If we win this series, I can see the Pop's homers in this board saying Pop was great, his adjustment were increadible, small ball rules, and continue hanging on his balls. If games 6 and 7 go down the wire and the Spurs are not able to produce stops, in my book Pop has been outcoached, win or lose. If Pop presents a team with two real frontcourt players guarding the paint and the Spurs start playing hard-nodes D, then I'll change my tune.

These are sad times for those that like hard-nosed defense, box out, rebounding and defensive intensity.

Go Spurs Go.

nkdlunch
05-18-2006, 09:44 AM
I'm just asking to try it out.
If you play their type of ball, it a close matchup. Why not give it a shot?

it's tooo late.... elimination game. I say Pop play it safe again, at least at the end of the game we'll have a chance, since they all been close games.

blaze89
05-18-2006, 09:48 AM
it's tooo late.... elimination game. I say Pop play it safe again, at least at the end of the game we'll have a chance, since they all been close games.

Had games 3 and 4 been Mavs blowouts with this strategy, I'm certain there would have been change. Thing is, the games have been close, going down to the wire and really - the little things, execution, key Spurs players fouling out (and some questionable calls) have been the difference.

Phenomanul
05-18-2006, 09:48 AM

He should have freed Rasho with 5 minutes to go in the game and shifted Duncan on Dirk.... Duncan only had three fouls at that point... At least then Dallas would have thought twice about going to the lane... and we would have seen what sort of impact Rasho, another 'big', wouuld have on the game.

Obstructed_View
05-18-2006, 09:53 AM
It's funny that any Spurs fan would refer to starting a four guard lineup as "playing it safe". Fortunately you don't need either 5 for offense, so it's not actually too late to just drop them in and watch everything start to work again. I think this time Pop's actually as clueless as he acts at the press conferences.

DarrinS
05-18-2006, 09:55 AM
In the 2 regular season games that the Spurs won agaisnt Dallas, we played either Rasho or Nazr. In each game, we had more rebounds and the Mavs shot barely over 40%.

Coincidence?

Memo to Pop: Just say NO to Nick Van Excel.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-18-2006, 10:10 AM
After hearing Tim and the other Postgame comments....Timmy and the guys feel this is the favorable matchup against Dallas. with small ball against Dirk Nowitzki, and they finally succeeded with it last night...I really don't know. It comes down to just playing....I can't see, from their professional perspective, the risk that they see if they don't take the small-ball strategy...Who knows. I'll just give them the benefit of the doubt. And hope we get a lot of luck coming our way...That's mostly what's been winning these games.

blaze89
05-18-2006, 10:11 AM
In two the Spurs wins during the regular season, Harris played little or didn't play at all. This isn't the regular season, plus the Mavs did not go with Terry and Harris in the same line up as they are in the playoffs.

Shank
05-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Pop has to stick with the lineups he's been trotting out for the past 2 games. When the games come down to the wire like they have, a couple of lucky bounces and this series could have a different outcome. But it seems as though SA has just been squeaking by and seem fortunate to have done so. It's not their style, but the patchwork lineups seem to be effective at stretches. At some point (and I'm looking at Game 6), something has to give. The game has historically been played from the inside-out and there's a reason why small-ball teams rarely win the whole thing.

nkdlunch
05-18-2006, 10:16 AM
It's funny that any Spurs fan would refer to starting a four guard lineup as "playing it safe". Fortunately you don't need either 5 for offense, so it's not actually too late to just drop them in and watch everything start to work again. I think this time Pop's actually as clueless as he acts at the press conferences.

By playing safe I meant changing complete strategies in an elimination game is NOT PLAYING IT SAFE. Pop will stick to his strategy PERIOD

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Um, we're down 3-2 people, playing AJs style, that is NOT EFFECTIVE.

Play them big, protect the key and boards at all costs, and make them beat us on jumpers. I would not even be unhappy if we got beaten playing our way, sad, but not unhappy. Right now we're playing into their hands and that's why we're down.

picnroll
05-18-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm pretty sure if you get enough posters Pop will be forced to give up small ball. :lol

degenerate_gambler
05-18-2006, 10:23 AM
In two the Spurs wins during the regular season, Harris played little or didn't play at all. This isn't the regular season, plus the Mavs did not go with Terry and Harris in the same line up as they are in the playoffs.

Harris did not start one game and was out with an injury in the other.

blaze89
05-18-2006, 10:24 AM
Harris did not start one game and was out with an injury in the other.

Harris didn't play much in the regular season, Harris was inserted into the rotation after game 1.

PeterBurns
05-18-2006, 10:28 AM
Um, we're down 3-2 people, playing AJs style, that is NOT EFFECTIVE.

Play them big, protect the key and boards at all costs, and make them beat us on jumpers. I would not even be unhappy if we got beaten playing our way, sad, but not unhappy. Right now we're playing into their hands and that's why we're down.

There was a cool stat at during the game last night about FG %
When opponents shoot under 45%

Going big would have forced more contested shots. Less layups.
If they beat us with outside shooting, then best of luck in the conference finals.

It will be the reason why we lose game 6

SA210
05-18-2006, 10:28 AM
In the 2 regular season games that the Spurs won agaisnt Dallas, we played either Rasho or Nazr. In each game, we had more rebounds and the Mavs shot barely over 40%.

Coincidence?

Someone spam Pop with this a million times.

SA210
05-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Online Petition To Stop Small Ball (http://www.petitiononline.com/pb2510/petition.html)

Add this to the petition.

Coincidence?

blaze89
05-18-2006, 10:34 AM
If we go big, all the Mavs have to do is take Dampier or Diop out and force the Spurs into small, insert another athletic guard. Have Howard go away from the basket to draw Duncan out.

If Rasho was more athletic - not super feet - but a bit more athletic, or if Terry and Harris were shooting terrible from the outside (Terry going right is driving me nuts), OK. Athleticism to me is the problem.

It seems like everyone thinks the small line-up is blowing us out by 15-20 points.

austinfan
05-18-2006, 10:35 AM
By playing safe I meant changing complete strategies in an elimination game is NOT PLAYING IT SAFE. Pop will stick to his strategy PERIOD

But the Spurs would be going back to the strategy they used all year long, the one that they've won 3 championships with, the one they eat and breathe and could play in their sleep. It's not like they'd be going into completely unfamiliar territory.

No one's asking Pop to play the whole game with two bigs. Just to use it periodically to throw the Mavs off their rhythm and force them to adjust to us.

And, just out of curiosity, has there ever been an NBA coach who has asked his team to play a diametrically opposed style of ball in the playoffs against a 60+ opponent? Considering these obstacles, the Spurs are playing pretty damn well.

ploto
05-18-2006, 10:35 AM
I have to say, though, that at this point I would rather see Finley than Horry.

blaze89
05-18-2006, 10:41 AM
But the Spurs would be going back to the strategy they used all year long, the one that they've won 3 championships with, the one they eat and breathe and could play in their sleep. It's not like they'd be going into completely unfamiliar territory.

No one's asking Pop to play the whole game with two bigs. Just to use it periodically to throw the Mavs off their rhythm and force them to adjust to us.

And, just out of curiosity, has there ever been an NBA coach who has asked his team to play a diametrically opposed style of ball in the playoffs against a 60+ opponent? Considering these obstacles, the Spurs are playing pretty damn well.

The Spurs didn't play these current Dallas Mavericks in every game. I'm sure Popovich would love to go back to that style, it's his philosophy, but I'm certain he has seen something or many things that has him convinced this is the way to go.

bigglendiesel
05-18-2006, 10:44 AM
I have to say, though, that at this point I would rather see Finley than Horry.

i completely agree, big shot hasn't shown us anything this whole series but lazy passes and lack of aggression... anyone have his stats? My only concern with putting big men is that the WILL beat us with jumpers! JT and Dirk are money from anywhere inside and outside the arc... we need to bang a little more, no more swipe fouls. It's playoff basketball. Either way, I'm still super excited and hungover from last night... keep the faith!

picnroll
05-18-2006, 10:46 AM
If you go big and it's Rasho or Nazr who plays Dirk. Which of the two can keep Duncan form being doubled by Diop or Dampier + Dirk?

Only problem with small ball is that the Spurs don't have a fourth small that can put the ball on the floor and punish Dirk. Dirk can hide on D covering Bowen or Finley.

Problem with our bigs is that the Spurs have no second big that can punish Dirk on the blocks.

Pick your poison.

PeterBurns
05-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Hell, I would do it now, just to throw them off track. Make them make the adjustments.

The Spurs are playing reactive basketball. They should be proactive.

Start a big line-up for game 6 just to mess with them. Then go back small if needed.
Like AustinFan said. Not the entire game. Just spurts to keep them looking at different looks.

PeterBurns
05-18-2006, 10:49 AM
How many teams can beat you with the outside shot in game 6 of the playoffs with game on the line.

Not a lot. If they do. Then congrats. But going small allows too many easy buckets and no rebounds. Both offensively and defensively....

IX_Equilibrium
05-18-2006, 10:50 AM
Has Pop been questioned on why he is not playing big at all? If so, what was his answer?

blaze89
05-18-2006, 10:57 AM
How many teams can beat you with the outside shot in game 6 of the playoffs with game on the line.

Not a lot. If they do. Then congrats. But going small allows too many easy buckets and no rebounds. Both offensively and defensively....

Not alot,true however, you have two guys in Terry and Harris who are feeling it (Terry's shot over Duncan). Then you have Nowitzki who, at times, can't miss.

If the Spurs had the athletic big men to do so, have at it - go big.

Obstructed_View
05-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Not alot,true however, you have two guys in Terry and Harris who are feeling it (Terry's shot over Duncan). Then you have Nowitzki who, at times, can't miss.

If the Spurs had the athletic big men to do so, have at it - go big.
Devin Harris is shooting 60 percent, and about three of his baskets have been from the outside. The reason Terry and Harris are feeling it is because there's no shot blocking at the rim.

Obstructed_View
05-18-2006, 11:08 AM
By playing safe I meant changing complete strategies in an elimination game is NOT PLAYING IT SAFE. Pop will stick to his strategy PERIOD...and will be watching the WCF on television. When you abandon your strength in favor of the opponent's, and then refuse to admit that it isn't working, even after three straight losses, you get what you deserve.

blaze89
05-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Devin Harris is shooting 60 percent, and about three of his baskets have been from the outside. The reason Terry and Harris are feeling it is because there's no shot blocking at the rim.

Do you think that the Spurs centers will negate their speed? The Mavs will spread the court cause of the Rashos or Nazr lack of quickness. Also, as I stated earlier, if Spurs go big, what's to stop the Mavs from taking out Diop or Dampier and replacing them with another guard.

Obstructed_View
05-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Do you think that the Spurs centers will negate their speed? The Mavs will spread the court cause of the Rashos or Nazr lack of quickness. Also, as I stated earlier, if Spurs go big, what's to stop the Mavs from taking out Diop or Dampier and replacing them with another guard.
Harris' speed gets him by his individual defender. If there's an actual shot blocker waiting for him instead of just a rim, an undersized power forward and a hacking desperate defender, the speed is negated. Let the Mavs spread the floor and try to shoot over people. It's easy to stay at home on the perimeter if you don't have to cheat down to the penetrating dribbler. As far as what's keeping them from taking Diop or Dampier out of the game, two reasons: First, well there's this guy named Tim. He's been taking them out on his own, but the Spurs can't take advantage of it because they can't make stops. Second, small ball doesn't work, and AJ fucking knows that. As abused as the Mavs centers have been in this series they are still matching the Spurs in shot blocks and winning the battle of the boards.

DDS4
05-18-2006, 12:03 PM
If we get beat with jumpshots with the Mavs, then congradulations on the next round. I can live with that.

Clog the frickin' lane for chrissakes....Less free throws, less offensive rebounds.

I can't live with Daniels, Stack, Howard, and Harris getting layup after layup and dunks in the lane. It's sickening.

SA210
05-18-2006, 12:05 PM
12 people so far have signed?

Let's go Spur fans, sign it.

DarrinS
05-18-2006, 12:08 PM
If we get beat with jumpshots with the Mavs, then congradulations on the next round. I can live with that.

Clog the frickin' lane for chrissakes....Less free throws, less offensive rebounds.

I can't live with Daniels, Stack, Howard, and Harris getting layup after layup and dunks in the lane. It's sickening.

No shit, right? Without a big man in the paint, Devin Harris looks like a good player.

Melmart1
05-18-2006, 12:12 PM
There is a reason why none of us here are on Pop's staff. If he didnt shy away from small ball last night, why would he do it by now? Last night there was a long-ass thread of people bitching about Tony needing to share the ball because when he 'fades' in the 4th it would be too big of an adjustment for the Spurs to go without him. Now you want the Spurs to completely change the lineup and gameplan? Talk about too big of an adjustment! You are just going to have to Believe.

DDS4
05-18-2006, 12:40 PM
There is a reason why none of us here are on Pop's staff. If he didnt shy away from small ball last night, why would he do it by now? Last night there was a long-ass thread of people bitching about Tony needing to share the ball because when he 'fades' in the 4th it would be too big of an adjustment for the Spurs to go without him. Now you want the Spurs to completely change the lineup and gameplan? Talk about too big of an adjustment! You are just going to have to Believe.

I understand why Tony looks for his shot so much. Pop says to be aggressive in looking for his shot. I believe that when Tony gets it going offensively, his defense picks up also.

But this "defense" that the Spurs are playing right now is unforgiveable.

timvp
05-18-2006, 01:55 PM

:jack

I love Spurs fans who don't understand how much the Spurs would be getting blown out without small ball. I don't like it but unless you want Duncan on Dirk and him fouling out in the first half, you have to deal with it.

Jimcs50
05-18-2006, 02:02 PM
:jack

I love Spurs fans who don't understand how much the Spurs would be getting blown out without small ball. I don't like it but unless you want Duncan on Dirk and him fouling out in the first half, you have to deal with it.

Can you explain why Bruce can not guard Dirk still?

Put TD on Howard

Put Rasho/Nazr on Dampier and Diop

Now the TD on Howard can be troublesome, but TD is no slouch on moving laterally and he is pretty quick, so I think he can funnel Howard baseline, to the shot blocker in the paint.

Jimcs50
05-18-2006, 02:09 PM
If Nazr can play last year against Phoenix, then he and Rasho can play against Dallas.

IMO, Amare was tougher to guard than Dirk, and Marion was better than any Dallas player not name Dirk. So if we can play Spurs' De against that team, then they can play Dallas straight up for at least 20 min/game

timvp
05-18-2006, 02:26 PM

Put TD on Howard

Now the TD on Howard can be troublesome, but TD is no slouch on moving laterally and he is pretty quick, so I think he can funnel Howard baseline, to the shot blocker in the paint.

Did you watch Game 2 or the final game of the regular season between the two teams? Duncan cannot guard Howard. He just can't.

And even if he could, it takes him out of the paint and it opens the driving lanes even more.

Small ball is a necessary evil in this series.

Jimcs50
05-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Did you watch Game 2 or the final game of the regular season between the two teams? Duncan cannot guard Howard. He just can't.

And even if he could, it takes him out of the paint and it opens the driving lanes even more.

Small ball is a necessary evil in this series.

Explain how we used our center in Phoenix series then. I maintain that Phoenix was much better than Dallas and much quicker.

timvp
05-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Explain how we used our center in Phoenix series then. I maintain that Phoenix was much better than Dallas and much quicker.

The Spurs could hide Duncan on players like Q Rich or Jim Jackson when Phoenix went small. Also remember that Steven Hunter played a lot in that series and Duncan was on him.

This is a totally different series with no player that Duncan can really guard other than the centers.

veruca
05-18-2006, 02:46 PM
I agree with most in this thread.

I will be rooting for them to win, and I'll be very happy if they comeback in the series and eliminate Dallas. I have not given up, and I think there is still a chance.

However, this no defense crap has to stop.

Winning or losing, there is one thing quite clear: Pop has been outcoached so far in the series.

The most ridicule thing is that the Spurs are not able to impose their pace and their style in the game. They must force Dallas to adjust to them, not the other way around.

Spurs were always able to get 4 consecutive stops when they needed it at critical parts of the game, and shutdown the opponent. The current Spurs' defense is a sponge... holes everywhere.

If we win this series, I can see the Pop's homers in this board saying Pop was great, his adjustment were increadible, small ball rules, and continue hanging on his balls. If games 6 and 7 go down the wire and the Spurs are not able to produce stops, in my book Pop has been outcoached, win or lose. If Pop presents a team with two real frontcourt players guarding the paint and the Spurs start playing hard-nodes D, then I'll change my tune.

These are sad times for those that like hard-nosed defense, box out, rebounding and defensive intensity.

Go Spurs Go.

AGREE COMPLETELY!!! We have to win Game 6 to force Game 7; this is it. I don't understand Pop being so stubborn in adjusting Spurs game to match Mavs. We need to play Spurs ball & if Pop is so concerned about matchups, play Nazr down low and let Tim guard Irk out on the perimeter. If Irk tries to take it in, let Nazr/Rasho plant his ass on the hardcourt.

KingsFanWithoutName
05-18-2006, 03:10 PM
To the original poster:

Are you kidding me? You think you, a typical fan, know more than Pop? You are out of your fucking mind.

Here is an idea......................go get a coaching job at your local YMCA and then you can run whatever lineup you wish.

picnroll
05-18-2006, 03:23 PM
And the bad news is if the Spurs get past the Mavs it'll still be small ball and it'll be even tougher because the Suns will easily be able to pull TD from the paint playing Tim Thomas and Diaw. If fricking Kurt Thomas hadn't gotten hurt and thus we had gotten Tim Thomas life would be a lot easier against the Mavs and the Suns.

Best hope and good possibility is if the Spurs get to the Suns Duncan will go wilder than he has in this series and put Diaw and Thomas in foul trouble bad.

ploto
05-18-2006, 03:56 PM
I'm OK with the small ball with Tim and Tony and 3 of the other guys. The problem I have is when Horry comes in as the lone big man- it just does not work well.

ploto
05-18-2006, 03:58 PM

Put TD on Howard

Rasho on Dirk. TD on Diop/Dampier. Bruce on Howard.

Not going to happen- but it is still a feasible suggestion.

PeterBurns
05-18-2006, 04:05 PM
It's was a good run.
We'll go small tomorrow, and the Spurs will lose playing their type ball.
They'll shoot 50%+

mrpach
05-18-2006, 04:08 PM
Rasho on Dirk. TD on Diop/Dampier. Bruce on Howard.

Not going to happen- but it is still a feasible suggestion.

i like it, swich bowen to dirk at some points of the game find him off guard, besides howard is the 'shawn marion' of this team

picnroll
05-18-2006, 04:08 PM
Does anyone in their right mind really want to see Dirk isolated at the top of the key on Rasho?

Melmart1
05-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Way to show support for the team. The boat is getting lighter by the minute.

GO SPurs Go
05-18-2006, 05:08 PM
lol Embacil Corps, sounds legit

mookie2001
05-18-2006, 05:55 PM
Mookie Ortiz Neumann

redskinfan
05-18-2006, 06:07 PM
I say out with the small and in with the bigs there are way to many layups allowed we need to make them think twice about entering the lane right now it is way too easy. But POP knows best,remember pop not playing Kerr in "03"until game 6 we all know how that turned out.

mookie2001
05-18-2006, 06:10 PM
But POP knows best

you would think so
thats what makes small ball even more humilating and pitiful