PDA

View Full Version : 1 point victory

RobinsontoDuncan
05-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Now I see it the way most of you guys see it, had that stupid call on Tim not been called in Game 3 the Spurs would be up 3-2 right now. Had the charge been called on Dirk in the final seconds of Game 4 the Spurs would be up 3-2 right now. Euphoria abounds.

But dont pretend the Spurs have sealed a game 7 back home, if anything this just means more of the same in Dallas. The officals definatly called more fouls on the Mavs than the Spurs this game, mainly because the Spurs were getting hammered a bit more often, but how much of that has to do with the Spurs playing at home? These officals have demonstrated a rather fickle application of the rules all series... I wouldn't be suprised if a lot of people in San Antonio (myself in Norfolk) are going to be crying Friday night.

I just cant feel comfortable with a 1 point victory, at home, in a game the Spurs had to win, when it is clear that Pop is going to stick with this damn small ball bullshit and attempt to match the Mavs at a game they are just plain better at.

I guess you cant win every championship every year, so there is no reason to be on the verge of a mental breakdown, but I dont see the Spurs winning this series with small ball... not a chance.

PS... please god let me be wrong....

Shank
05-18-2006, 02:01 PM
I agree fully.

MannyIsGod
05-18-2006, 02:03 PM
PS... please god let me be wrong....
Wouldn't be the first time now would it?

whottt
05-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Within the game it looked like the Spurs finally started to figure out how to defend the Mavs with their small lineup...

There were a couple of Mavs scoreless streaks in that game that most of the time would have propelled the Spurs to a decided win...the problem was that as soon as the Spurs would build those leads they'd have a rash of bonehead TO's or bad shots...

The Spurs have definitely started to figure more and more stuff out playing small ball over the course of the last 3 games...and to be quite frank...the Mavs have been hitting some incredible shots....

The real question is if the veteran Spurs can maintain the energy and intensity of the younger Mavs...because it's all about hustle.

The thing is...the Mavs really haven't had a truly bad game yet...and the Spurs haven't had a truly good game yet...You never count on things like that to happen...but both are most certainly due.

Then again...to win we are going to need 2 more consecutive great games from Manu, Parker and Duncan...it's hard enough to get one player to do that at this level of play....for 3 players to do it is extremely difficult.

One game at a time...

CosmicCowboy
05-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Within the game it looked like the Spurs finally started to figure out how to defend the Mavs with their small lineup...

There were a couple of Mavs scoreless streaks in that game that most of the time would have propelled the Spurs to a decided win...the problem was that as soon as the Spurs would build those leads they'd have a rash of bonehead TO's or bad shots...

The Spurs have definitely started to figure more and more stuff out playing small ball over the course of the last 3 games...and to be quite frank...the Mavs have been hitting some incredible shots....

The real question is if the veteran Spurs can maintain the energy and intensity of the younger Mavs...because it's all about hustle.

The thing is...the Mavs really haven't had a truly bad game yet...and the Spurs haven't had a truly good game yet...You never count on things like that to happen...but both are most certainly due.

Then again...to win we are going to need 2 more consecutive great games from Manu, Parker and Duncan...it's hard enough to get one player to do that at this level of play....for 3 players to do it is extremely difficult.

One game at a time...

Yeah...Spurs big 5 were clearly wearing down at the end. If they hadn't gotten that big run in the middle of the third quarter things could have ended a lot differently. Sure glad the game wasn't five minutes longer.

austinfan
05-18-2006, 03:15 PM

I agree and that, more than anything else, makes me hopeful for tomorrow night. Contrary to us here, the Spurs know that Pop isn't going to change the 48-minute small-ball line-up he has going, so they're adapting to it. It's a steep, steep learning curve and it's amazing that they're hanging in there under those conditions.

mgtptdmvp
05-18-2006, 03:34 PM
well we got a ONE point victory at home....
the mavs got a ONE point victory in game 3 with bad calls and an OT victory with TD having a chance to win it even after some reDIRKilous calls.
who is confident????
the team with ONE more point will win on friday thats the only thing we know.

SLOVENIAN 8
05-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Spurs players are tired for sure, becouse in this series Pop play the same ones all the time...
I hope we go in next round but it will be really hard....

MannyIsGod
05-18-2006, 03:47 PM
Yeah, they are running 8 deep right now and that kills you torwards the end of games. However, the Mavs aren't running much deepr either.

Its going to be a tough one, but the Spurs can certainly pull it out.

Nbadan
05-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Mav's players are tired too. The NBA is all about taking advantage of your adversaries weaknesses. The Mav's have been exploiting the Spurs lack of athleticism and youth (speed) for the whole series, but even their young legs aren't as springy as they were in Game 1,2 or 3. I think that the Spurs big men can, if used correctly, shut the Dallas O down in the second half of game 6.

efrem1
05-18-2006, 03:52 PM
Spurs players are tired for sure, becouse in this series Pop play the same ones all the time...
I hope we go in next round but it will be really hard....

Yes, that is a concern with me also. The limited lineup with no Nazr and Rasho might make sense in the current scheme of things, but the 7-man rotation is going catch up with them sooner or later in terms of fatigue.

Look at the bright side, once we take this series, the Clips and Suns hardly look like worldbeaters, but I will leave at that for the moment as current business must be taken care of.

Go SPurs Go!!!! :)

Melmart1
05-18-2006, 03:55 PM
You guys gotta remember that Tony is roughly 50% at the start of the games, so he is gonna be running on fumes by the end. But I know the medical staff is taking good care of him. You gotta have heart, and that kid has shown me TONS playing injured the way he has. I don't think the Tony haters understand how big it is that he can turn in a performance like last night. He won't let us down and neither will the rest of the team. Spurs in 7!

Sense
05-18-2006, 04:10 PM

:lol

RobinsontoDuncan
05-19-2006, 12:34 AM

Jesus are you guys still on that damned Chris Webber thing? For christ sake I was totally mis-interpreted.

Anyhow..... I was thinking the same thing about the lack of depth in this playoff rotation, especially considering the age of the Spurs (and the injury) compared to the youth and relative health of the mavs.

Tim still has a Plantar Fisiticis (even if he isn showing it)
Tony is fucked three ways from sunday
Manu has some contusion on his legs that he says stops him from getting his old lift.

Then we have a stable of war tested veterans that are playing ridiculous minutes.

The only guy Im not worried about is Bowen, but that guy will play until he is 50.

(PS... pop, please play Rasho)

T Park
05-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Id like to know Robinson who Rasho guards.

Harris?

Howard

Marquis Daniels?

Vashner
05-19-2006, 01:04 AM
I think we will win game 6 by at least 10.

intlspurshk
05-19-2006, 01:09 AM

One game at a time...

No, I don't think the win was attributable to figuring out how to defend Dallas. Instead, it is attributable to more decent foul call against Mavs and less unreasonable foul call against SPURS. If Bowen was called for a foul on the block on Dirk, SPURS lose. You will expect unfavourable call reappear, adding to the fact that JT was suspended.

ata
05-19-2006, 01:27 AM
Id like to know Robinson who Rasho guards.

Harris?
Howard
Marquis Daniels?

If this man

http://images.allposters.com/images/153/aafr019.jpg
2 time MVP, 3 time NBA champion, 3 time NBA finals MVP, NBA All-star game MVP, 9 time All NBA team memeber (8 1st team, 1 2nd team), 9 time All-Defensive team member (6 1st team, 3 2nd team), only player in NBA history to recive All-NBA and All-Defensive honours in his first 9 seasons....

can't guard Dirk, than we are doomed anyway.

Melmart1
05-19-2006, 02:08 AM
It's not that he CANT guard Dirk, it's that he SHOULDNT. That would get him in early foul trouble. Remember when he had foul trouble in game two? That didn't turn out too well.

Nbadan
05-19-2006, 02:16 AM
Get your Game 5 and first and second round NBA backgrounds here (http://www.nba.com/spurs/fans/download_wallpaper.html). Including Bowen making Dirk eat leather which is my background. Nice

Condemned 2 HelLA
05-19-2006, 02:29 AM
Tim on Dirk is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of thing.
Since the Mavs usually get that home cookin' at the AAC, that means Dirk has the upper hand in assuming that he's going to get the majority of the calls going in his favor. Take in consideration the HUGE injustice that was served when Dirk tweaked his ankle steppping on Tim's foot and they call the foul on Tim. Plus, the Mavs are going to try every sneaky trick in the book that they can to try and get Tim in early foul trouble , which will REALLY put the Spurs in a world of shit.
Normally, I'd be all for Tim vs. Dirk, but right now, the stakes are beyond too high. That said, I STILL want to see Rasho, Nazr & Oberto in to play Diop, Dampier and Mbenga. Let them match each other foul for foul.
I didn't get to see game 5, so I don't know what contributions Van Horn made, but why not have Horry play him some. Surely Rob can snap a shot or two off on that stiff and still get back on defense to beat him up the floor.
Stackhouse, Daniels, Griffin, Howard and even D. Armstrong are going to be plenty motivated to help make up for the absence of Terry, and wrap this series up once and for all. It's up to TP, Gino, Bruce, Finley, Bones and even Beno & NVE if need be to take this "small ball" concept and shove it up as many Mav orifices as possible and force that game 7.
Clippers did it tonight. No reason why the world champs can't do it, too!

Nbadan
05-19-2006, 02:50 AM
Adrian Griffin is likely to get the start, and AJ will keep Stack on the bench. Griffin, Stack, Dirk, and Daniels are likely to get more touches. Armstrong just hasn't shown much all year.