PDA

View Full Version : From today's Dime Smack

DarrinS
05-18-2006, 04:23 PM
http://blogs.foxsports.com/DimeMagazine/2006/05/18/Goodens_big_shot

The Spurs seemed to have control of Wednesday night’s Game 5, but the Mavs just kept hanging around and hanging around. The game’s script pretty much went like this: Tim Duncan would dominate for a stretch, Dirk Nowitzki would shoot Dallas back into it, and then Manu Ginobili would make something happen – a steal, a bucket, an offensive rebound, etc. – to put San Antonio back on top. The Spurs got the win to stay alive for another game.

Facing elimination, Duncan responded like a true champion. He was literally unstoppable in the first half, dropping 28 points and hitting his first 12 shots before finally missing one.

Duncan finished with 36 points and 12 boards.

No one ever seems to mention this, but we’ll go ahead and say it: Dirk gets a ton of close calls from NBA officials. You can’t even go near him in the fourth quarter or it’s a whistle. We were actually completely surprised that Bruce Bowen wasn’t called for a foul when he blocked Dirk’s attempt at the game-winning jumper. We were also surprised when there was no whistle on Dirk’s missed putback at the buzzer.

Did you see Dirk break out the Shaq Stomp celebration after drilling a 3 in transistion?

Actual phone exchange between one of the Dime crew and his dad during the Spurs-Mavs game: “Who’s old uncle is that on the sideline?” “That’s Darrell Armstrong.” “Oh. That looks like a church suit.”

E20
05-18-2006, 04:25 PM
I thought Darrel Armstrong was Adonyle Foyle for a minute.

Budkin
05-18-2006, 04:27 PM
Nice piece... had this game been in Dallas Bruce would have been whistled for damn sure. Let's hope the Spurs be up by a decent margin at the end of Game 6.

Despot
05-18-2006, 04:31 PM
Nice piece... had this game been in Dallas Bruce would have been whistled for damn sure. Let's hope the Spurs be up by a decent margin at the end of Game 6.

I keep thinking that it's about time that the Spurs win by a blowout.

strangeweather
05-18-2006, 04:53 PM
I keep thinking that it's about time that the Spurs win by a blowout.

That's what I thought going into game 4. At this point in the series, I'll take 'em any way we can get 'em. :spin