PDA

View Full Version : Chris Wilcox???

TheAffricanFan
05-19-2006, 06:54 AM
Is him the type of player we need alongside Duncan???

Bruno
05-19-2006, 06:57 AM
Is him the type of player we need alongside Duncan???

Not really and he is too expensive.

TheAffricanFan
05-19-2006, 06:59 AM
If we are paying 2x more for Rasho and if he is a restricted free agent, why not try to trade for him?

Bruno
05-19-2006, 07:07 AM
If we are paying 2x more for Rasho and if he is a restricted free agent, why not try to trade for him?

It's not because Rasho is overpaid that we should overpaid Wilcox and trade something good for him.
I rather sign Javtokas for cheap.

Doc Jerome
05-19-2006, 07:10 AM
Start the NBA career of one Ian Mahinmi. He'll give the Spurs the same numbers in this system, plus youth, speed, incredible athleticism, rebounding, defense, and a willingness to go through the fire.

Stay tuned, . . . :fro

Bruno
05-19-2006, 07:17 AM
Start the NBA career of one Ian Mahinmi. He'll give the Spurs the same numbers in this system, plus youth, speed, incredible athleticism, rebounding, defense, and a willingness to go through the fire.

You seems to be really high on Mahinmi (me too) but the truth is that he isn't nba ready. He needs at least two years before deing able to contribute (one season in europe and a rookie season to learn the nba).

TheAffricanFan
05-19-2006, 07:40 AM
We need players that can impact our game from day one, so I insist we should sign him

pache100
05-19-2006, 07:43 AM
We need players that can impact our game from day one, so I insist we should sign him

Ok, knock yourself out. Hope you got mucho dinero, because you won't get any help from Holt (not that I think he should help you).

Doc Jerome
05-19-2006, 07:43 AM
Bruno, I must admit, I am smitten. When you look at the situation the Spurs are in, he can't do any worse than the 2 slugs currently riding the pine. I understand about everyone wanting to feel like he's NBA ready; but in todays NBA, the Center position, on most teams, is talent depleted. How skilled does he have to be to be young, run the floor, jump high, play defense, and have a great attitude; all of which, he already has and can do on a virtuoso level. Bring him over and get him real NBA experience.

Bruno
05-19-2006, 07:59 AM
Bruno, I must admit, I am smitten. When you look at the situation the Spurs are in, he can't do any worse than the 2 slugs currently riding the pine.

Rasho, Nazr, horry, Oberto, Javtokas, Scola will be better than Mahinmi next year.
Mahinmi is very raw : you should understand that even if he shows a lot of good things in France with his team, he make a lot of mistakes and is often in fouls trouble. French championship is an average euro championship, the level if far from the nba.
Mahinmi is very young (november 1986), he is younger than player who will be drafted this summer (Aldridge, Tyrus Thomas, Patrick O'Bryant...) and experts think that these players won't contribute in their first year.

As a french guy, I'd like to see mahinmi with a Spurs jersey but you should realize that to be an average player in nba, you need to be really good. Mahinmi is still far from this level.

picnroll
05-19-2006, 08:07 AM
Bruno is Mahinmi less skilled now on defense or rebounding than Petro was at this time last year?

Bruno
05-19-2006, 08:21 AM
Bruno is Mahinmi less skilled now on defense or rebounding than Petro was at this time last year?

Mahinmi is a way better defender than Petro.
For the rebounding : Mahinmi average 5.2 rebounds in 19.2min this year and Petro 3.0 rebounds in 11.8min last year.
Petro's body was way more ready than Mahinmi's one is.

Don't be wrong with Petro : Rasho and Nazr are better than Petro.
Petro had had a lot of playtime because Sonics were in lotery pick mode.
Petro on a Spurs team would have get the same playtime than Oberto.

Doc Jerome
05-19-2006, 08:35 AM
Rasho, Nazr, horry, Oberto, Javtokas, Scola will be better than Mahinmi next year.
Mahinmi is very raw : you should understand that even if he shows a lot of good things in France with his team, he make a lot of mistakes and is often in fouls trouble. French championship is an average euro championship, the level if far from the nba.
Mahinmi is very young (november 1986), he is younger than player who will be drafted this summer (Aldridge, Tyrus Thomas, Patrick O'Bryant...) and experts think that these players won't contribute in their first year.

Tyrus Thomas will play because of his youth, rebounding, and defensive skills if he is drafted; not because of his offensive prowess. Aldridge will play because of his youth, and offensive skills, not because of his defense. The other guy I'm not familiar with. Tyrus Thomas developed into what we all have come to know in 1 season, he was red shirted.

I don't think any NBA team cares what a so-called expert projects in a prediction concerning young talent, no matter how raw. Given the right or wrong situation, teams will play these guys and all will be forced to contribute in some way. For some it will be a good thing, for others, it won't be so good.

I would think that the Spurs would not waste any 1st round picks on a junior high school talent only to wait a full 3-5 years for them to "develop." Especially when there are quality guys still on the draftboard.

picnroll
05-19-2006, 08:44 AM
I'll buy that Mahinmi's body may not be ready although I think that there are matchups he could handle. He can't be any weaker or skinnier than Seattle's Swift. I'll certainly buy that Mahinimi's development may be better served in Europe where he will be a first second, or third option on offense rather than the Spurs where he will be fifth option. But I'll mostly buy that the Spurs want as many cheap, rookie contract years out of a highly skilled Mahinmi that they can get.

strangeweather
05-19-2006, 01:23 PM
I'll buy that Mahinmi's body may not be ready although I think that there are matchups he could handle. He can't be any weaker or skinnier than Seattle's Swift. I'll certainly buy that Mahinimi's development may be better served in Europe where he will be a first second, or third option on offense rather than the Spurs where he will be fifth option. But I'll mostly buy that the Spurs want as many cheap, rookie contract years out of a highly skilled Mahinmi that they can get.

If he's still that raw, I'd rather him rack up the minutes on the court in France than ride the pine for the Spurs. Young players need to play.