PDA

View Full Version : Spurs interested in Marcus Banks?

Slinkyman
05-19-2006, 09:26 AM
Apparently, the Wolves will have tough competition to sign point guard Marcus Banks, who also is being pursued by the Lakers and Spurs. The Wolves have the right to match any offer for free agent forward Justin Reed, who they want to bring back.

http://www.startribune.com/507/story/442083.html

Parker and Banks would make for the quickest back court in the NBA.

picnroll
05-19-2006, 09:28 AM
Banks would be a great pickup. Go for it.

Bruno
05-19-2006, 09:49 AM
Great pickup but I think he will be too expensive :

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/14407877.htm

A little birdie says Timberwolves free-agent point guard Marcus Banks is expected to seek $29 million for five years and settle for $17 million for four years.

JamStone
05-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Parker and Banks would make for the quickest back court in the NBA.

Close call ... Chris Paul and Speedy Claxton are pretty quick.

picnroll
05-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Great pickup but I think he will be too expensive :

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/14407877.htm
Cheap for what he brings. I'd do it. Spurs need to solve their backup PG problems for once and for all. Look what that problem has caused since Claxton left. Plus Banks gives the Spurs one of the best quick, strong defensive PGs in the league to sick on guys like Pal, Harris, etc.

Texas_Ranger
05-19-2006, 09:58 AM
Marcus Banks would be a good choice

ducks
05-19-2006, 10:01 AM
it all depends what the spurs can get with a sign and trade for nazr
and if barry can be traded for a long three

Bruno
05-19-2006, 10:02 AM
$4-5M/year to play 14 min as backup PG is a lot.
He can play SG too but we have Manu (and maybe JR Smith) and a Parker/Banks backcourt will be too short (none can defend the opposite SG).

ShoogarBear
05-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Banks is a pretty good defender and has decent 3-point ability.

But I bet he doesn't want to be a backup. And he would probably beat out Smush in LA.

picnroll
05-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Three excellent penetrating guards, Manu, Parker, Banks.

picnroll
05-19-2006, 10:08 AM

But I bet he doesn't want to be a backup. And he would probably beat out Smush in LA.
Likely. Lakers showed him love before also.

CosmicCowboy
05-19-2006, 10:24 AM
With the league pushing for small ball and penetration by allowing moving screens this would be a great pickup for the Spurs if it happened...

sickdsm
05-19-2006, 10:33 AM
I think the only way Banks DOESN"T get resigned is if the wolves do a deal for marbury, even then i say break the bank for him. Banks has the talent to be a VERY special player, he's fast as hell AND he's muscular/big.

Bruno
05-19-2006, 10:37 AM
I think the only way Banks DOESN"T get resigned is if the wolves do a deal for marbury, even then i say break the bank for him. Banks has the talent to be a VERY special player, he's fast as hell AND he's muscular/big.

Diasgree.
Banks is an unrestricted free agent : he can do what he want and Wolves have no right on him. If Banks want to play for another team, he won't re-sign with Wolves.

picnroll
05-19-2006, 10:39 AM
All things (money) being equal why would Banks want to stay in Minny. The franchise is in uncertainty. Will KG stay or go? How are they going to build a contender?

JLH Fans
05-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Diasgree.
Banks is an unrestricted free agent : he can do what he want and Wolves have no right on him. If Banks want to play for another team, he won't re-sign with Wolves.

S&T for Moha?

Bruno
05-19-2006, 10:42 AM
S&T for Moha?

Wolves can't do a S&T with Banks, they haven't his bird rights.

Doc Jerome
05-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Is it possible to get him along with J.R. Smith, and bring in Scola, Javtokas, and Ian Mahinmi all in the same offseason? :wow

Alright, I'll calm down, . . . Just my own personal wish list. Stay tuned, . . . :fro

sickdsm
05-19-2006, 10:46 AM
From what i remember the spurs aren't going to be in a position to offer more than the MLE either.

If Banks wants to play for another team, he's going to want to start. He sat three years on the bench in Boston, i don't think he wants to taste being a starter then sit again. So its either a really crappy team or the MN crappy team.

All discussions with him have stated that he was very grateful for the opportunity and he'll choose MN over a similar contract elswhere.

picnroll
05-19-2006, 11:12 AM
sickdsm assumng, T Wloves use the MLE or a large chunk to sign Banks, how do they fill the other holes?

sickdsm
05-19-2006, 05:31 PM
I don't think they will. If it was me i'd blow it up but keep kg and the kids. I think they will end up doing a swap for Marbury. I hate the guy as much as any knowledable MN fan can but like i said about the knick trade, it was one they had to do. No one cared about Spree and Houston. If any of us are in McHale's boots, that's the thing that has to be done. Will it work? I'm not betting on it but something big has to be done.

MN doesn't draft well in the later spots so that 6th or whatever pick is valubale to them, they won't get steals later on. The only way to turn this thing around as long as McFail is there is trade/cheap FA's.

I'm doubting any of the top 3 bigs are there if the wolves stay at 6th. As bad as there draft stock is though, I can get a helluva lot more excited about a Gay, Reddick, or Morrison than a McCants, even though he's a guy that i wouldn't be surprised to break out next year.

Spurologist
05-19-2006, 05:45 PM

Playing for the defending champions would be enough for him to sign. I'd love to see a good, solid, young back up for tp. He would fit well into pop's system as he is one of few point guards that play defense. Outside shot = solid. He can space the floor or attack the rim with his strong build. He also averaged 3.8 assists on only 25 minutes per game. It would be a good change of pace/styles when he comes off the bench for tp.

Leetonidas
05-19-2006, 05:46 PM
I thought Speedy wanted to sign here next year?

RON ARTEST
05-19-2006, 05:49 PM
I thought Speedy wanted to sign here next year?
really? damn him and parker on the court at the same time would be hell for opposing teams. :depressed

ducks
05-19-2006, 05:52 PM
who said speedy wanted to sign with the spurs
only think I heard some spur fan wanted speedy here

speedy has no outside shot
not the person I am looking for

beno should be better next year it is year 3
time for beno to improve or be given the boot or traded

ALVARORTIZ
05-19-2006, 05:52 PM
I Hope He Can Shoot Free Throws, But Bring Him On

Boycott Aj

picnroll
05-19-2006, 05:53 PM
Garnett and Marbury, there goes your entire salary cap. If KG waits around for some rookie to develop he's nuts. Minny should bite the bullet blow it all up and go for Oden in '07 along with some young pieces and picks they could get for KG.

Leetonidas

Speedy made a comment that he "wouldn't mind returning to San Antonio next year."

sickdsm
Would you rather have Barbosa than Udrih?

Leetonidas
05-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Would you rather have Barbosa than Udrih?

Currently, yes.

sickdsm
05-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Garnett and Marbury, there goes your entire salary cap. If KG waits around for some rookie to develop he's nuts. Minny should bite the bullet blow it all up and go for Oden in '07 along with some young pieces and picks they could get for KG.

NEWS FLASH: Wolves are already over the cap.

Do you think its a hard cap or something?

:wtf

ducks
barbosa

but spurs wanted him gone because they thought they had kidd signed
and did not want that huge rookie contract to be on the books

sickdsm
Is that a regret then?

sickdsm
05-19-2006, 05:56 PM
barbosa

but spurs wanted him gone because they thought they had kidd signed
and did not want that huge rookie contract to be on the books

Wasn't it the year after they were courting kidd?

ducks
05-19-2006, 05:57 PM
I regret it
I also think rasho is a regret
I think had spurs went all out and went after oneal first and went to visit rasho
that oneal might have signed with the spurs
kidd should have been on the backburner because he likes duncan anyhoe

oneal is >>>> rasho

ShoogarBear
05-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Playing for the defending champions would be enough for him to sign. I'd love to see a good, solid, young back up for tp. He would fit well into pop's system as he is one of few point guards that play defense. Outside shot = solid. He can space the floor or attack the rim with his strong build. He also averaged 3.8 assists on only 25 minutes per game. It would be a good change of pace/styles when he comes off the bench for tp.
He's 24 years old and just finished his third year; he's not a 32 y.o. veteran. He finally got a chance to show what he can do playing 30 mpg and now he wants to get paid and get more playing time. He does not want to spend his prime years as Tony Parker's backup if he can be a starter for a team that looks like it has a future. I just don't see it.

RON ARTEST
05-19-2006, 05:58 PM

damn how many three point shooters do you need?

ducks
05-19-2006, 05:59 PM
Wasn't it the year after they were courting kidd?
Draft: 2003 - 1st round (28th pick) by the San Antonio Spurs

Leetonidas
05-19-2006, 06:00 PM
I regret it
I also think rasho is a regret
I think had spurs went all out and went after oneal first and went to visit rasho
that oneal might have signed with the spurs
kidd should have been on the backburner because he likes duncan anyhoe

oneal is >>>> rasho

I think if Jermaine had known that Isiah would be fired, he would've signed with us anyway.

Spurologist
05-19-2006, 06:03 PM

He's 24 years old and just finished his third year; he's not a 32 y.o. veteran. He finally got a chance to show what he can do playing 30 mpg and now he wants to get paid and get more playing time. He does not want to spend his prime years as Tony Parker's backup if he can be a starter for a team that looks like it has a future. I just don't see it.

If other teams I impressed by his play, which I assume many are, he will definately get more money than the spurs would be willing to give him. You're right. Money will probably win out but I still think he might want to sign with the spurs and get that ring. Money can always wait a year. :smokin

ducks
05-19-2006, 06:04 PM
damn how many three point shooters do you need?

horry is not going to last forever

YOU have to have three point shooters so duncan has room to work
along with tp and manu

barry will be gone to someone has to replace him

strangeweather
05-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Is that a regret then?

Meh. The Spurs have hit on enough low picks over the years that complaining about taking Beno late in the first seems kind of silly to me.

At the time of the '03 draft, the Spurs supposedly coveted your boy Ndudi, so it could be worse. I don't mean that as a slap at the T-Wolves -- just that you're always guessing about these things.

intlspurshk
05-20-2006, 08:34 PM
Is that a regret then?

The regret is for J Howard. Not for Barbosa. The SPURS give up J Howard to create more cap room for J Kidd. What difference does it make indeed?

objective
05-20-2006, 10:17 PM
if the spurs spend any MLE money on a back-up point consdering the other pressing concerns . . . then shame on them.

picnroll
05-20-2006, 10:39 PM
A little Banks D

link (http://youtube.com/watch?v=wEwCyStuhSY&search=marcus%20banks)

ducks
05-20-2006, 10:41 PM
if the spurs spend any MLE money on a back-up point consdering the other pressing concerns . . . then shame on them.
depends if they trade barry for that long three
depends if they get a big in a sign and trade with nazr
or trade rasho for pj brown

carlos30
05-21-2006, 01:14 AM
banks would add more youth and another shooting point guard

Tom_Foolery
05-21-2006, 02:32 AM
If they have interest in Marcus Banks, they might be considering packaging Parker and some people for a high profile star(like someone who could play F/C). Jermaine O'Neal?

They already spent too much on Barry, and Malik in the past, so I would doubt that the Spurs would really be interested in Banks as a "backup", especially at $5+ million a year...way too much money for a backup.

I love Parker, but if we could somehow package Parker and another player for a guy like Jermaine O'Neal, that would be incredible. I wouldn't even hesitate a trade like that. A Duncan & O'Neal duo would scare the hell out of the NBA.

TDMVPDPOY
05-21-2006, 03:08 AM
with jermaine and brand, we could only offered them a max contract of up to 6years only, too bad they didnt bite for it, we couldve sign 2 allstar calibre players that summer, and resign td, then the followin year tp/gino to lower contracts, i still dont think tp is worth the contract he signed.

picnroll
05-21-2006, 07:44 AM
NEWS FLASH: Wolves are already over the cap.

Do you think its a hard cap or something?

:wtf
I don't think ti's a hard cap but I don't know if the T Wloves owner is willing to go JAmesDolan acquiring talent.

SequSpur
05-21-2006, 07:46 AM
Banks sucks.

sickdsm
05-21-2006, 11:58 AM
If they have interest in Marcus Banks, they might be considering packaging Parker and some people for a high profile star(like someone who could play F/C). Jermaine O'Neal?

They already spent too much on Barry, and Malik in the past, so I would doubt that the Spurs would really be interested in Banks as a "backup", especially at $5+ million a year...way too much money for a backup.

I love Parker, but if we could somehow package Parker and another player for a guy like Jermaine O'Neal, that would be incredible. I wouldn't even hesitate a trade like that. A Duncan & O'Neal duo would scare the hell out of the NBA.

For a year or two.

Nice trading away your future.