PDA

View Full Version : Astros finding ways to lose

Jimcs50
10-11-2004, 08:25 AM
Astros- Braves have played 38 innings, the Braves have led in only 4 of them, yet they are tied with Houston 2-2. :wow

Phil Garner is making some horrible decisions the past few games, especially yesterday. Why pull Roger out after 5? Why pull Biggio out in tie game with double switch? Why not double switch to get Lidge more time, than against just one batter in 8th? Will these decisions lead to another One and Done?

Stay tuned.

tlongII
10-11-2004, 08:49 AM
"Will these decisions lead to another One and Done?"

One can only hope.

Jimcs50
10-11-2004, 09:45 AM
tlong, you wiggled off that hook, once again....but I am going to reel you in tonight, clean you, and fry you up for a great $40 meal.

T Park
10-11-2004, 12:13 PM
First mistake was pitching a guy on three days rest.

Like Ive said all along, why change what got you there? Why all of a sudden do you stop doing what youve done that made you succesfull.

Now today, hes pitching Oswalt on, 3 days rest.

pitching a guy on 3 days rest has only worked once in the playoffs from what I remember, and that was last year with the Marlins.

Ive seen the Cardinals try it, never works.

Why Phil, WHY DIDNT YOU JUST PITCH MUNRO AND HAVE CLEMENS READY TODAY!???!?!?!?

Atlanta wins today.

Hook Dem
10-11-2004, 12:22 PM
I'm not gonna watch and maybe they'll have a chance. :rolleyes

ShoogarBear
10-11-2004, 12:28 PM
I agree going with back-to-back with pitchers on 3-days rest is stupid.

Spurminator
10-11-2004, 12:52 PM
I don't know. Starting Pete Munro or Carlos Hernandez would be like forfeiting the game. I think Clemens was okay, and probably could have pitched another inning. Oswalt didn't even throw 100 pitches in Game 2, so he should be able to put in a good effort.

T Park
10-11-2004, 02:21 PM
i disagree spurm.

Hernandez or Munro wouldnt have been gauranteed losses.

If so, how did they make into the postseason with those guys?

What good did Clemens do pitching 5 yesterday?

If he wouldve pitched today, he couldve pitched 7 or 8 innings shut out the Braves and won easily.

Or hell, Munro couldve given 6 great innings or whatever.

Pitching pitchers on 3 days rest is almost as dumb as pulling the goalie in hockey.

It never works, its too big a risk, and the results are not worth the means.

Now they should hope Oswalt does NOT falter, or the season is ovah.

Spurminator
10-11-2004, 04:13 PM
When you pitch 2 of the best pitchers in the league on 3 days rest, chances are one of them will pitch good enough for the win. That was the thinking. Clemens pitched well enough for the win, and it could be said that the Astros lost because he wasn't allowed to pitch another inning or two.

Pete Munro's ERA in his last ten starts is 6.32. Hernandez' is 6.43. Sorry, I don't trust them as far as I can throw them. Even if Clemens could've pitched better today, why risk HAVING to have a great performance from him in a decisive Game 5 when you have a chance to close it out in 4?

Hopefully Oswalt will have something in the tank. The Astros got into the postseason playing against expectations, so maybe they're better off on the road with their Playoff season on the line.

whottt
10-11-2004, 04:31 PM
Gulp! Gotta agree with TPark to an extent..Pitching on 3 days rest is an incredibly risky proposition...Especially with a 41 year old pitcher at the end of a 162 game season. I wouldn't have done it...I expected the Astros to win this series, but I wasn't counting on that kind of move.

Oh and my advice is to never pitch Miceli in a meaningful game.

ShoogarBear
10-11-2004, 05:45 PM
The Twins, given a similar scenario with Santana, decided well in advance that they'd pitch him in game 4 if they were down 1-2 but save him for a possible game 5 if they were up 2-1.

I'd rather roll the dice on game 4, then come into game 5 knowing I had a rested Clemens and could even bring Oswalt in relief if necessary.

dcole50
10-11-2004, 07:47 PM
Oswalt looks better so far than our rested Wright. It's still only the second inning. I have a feeling this is another game that is going to come down to the wire.

tlongII
10-11-2004, 10:18 PM
Provided I still have Jim's correct address I will soon be contributing $40 to the Duff McCartney college fund.

Jimcs50
10-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Provided I still have Jim's correct address I will soon be contributing $40 to the Duff McCartney college fund.

tlong, would you like to go double or nothing again? I will take Boston, you get Yankees?

tlongII
10-11-2004, 11:54 PM
How about I take St. Louis and you take Houston?

T Park
10-12-2004, 12:00 AM
dont you dare tlong..... lol.