PDA

View Full Version : Is Tech that good...

jalbre6
10-11-2004, 08:58 AM
or is Nebraska that shitty? I'm leaning toward the latter on this one. But what's the use of running up the score like that? 28 points in the 4th after being up 42-10 on a conference opponent?

Score by Quarters 1 2 3 4 Score
----------------- -- -- -- -- -----
Nebraska............ 0 3 7 0 - 10 Record: (3-2,1-1)
Texas Tech.......... 7 14 21 28 - 70 Record: (4-2,2-1)

Nebraska Suffers Worst Loss Ever

Sunday, October 10, 2004; Page E15

Texas Tech handed Nebraska its worst loss in its 114-year history, with Sonny Cumbie completing 44 of 56 passes for 436 yards and five touchdowns in the Red Raiders' 70-10 victory in Lubbock, Tex.

Tech (4-2, 2-1 Big 12) recorded its first victory in eight tries against Nebraska (3-2, 1-1 Big 12), which set school records for points allowed and margin of defeat.

Before yesterday, the most points scored against Nebraska came in a 62-36 loss to Colorado in 2001. Nebraska's largest previous margin of defeat was 54, set in a 54-0 loss to Minnesota in 1943 and matched in a 54-0 loss to Indiana in 1944 and a 61-7 loss to Minnesota in 1945.

Cumbie, who came into the game leading the nation in passing yards at 417 yards a game, threw touchdown passes of 22, 80, 6, 3 and 2 yards. It was his fifth straight game of more than 350 yards passing and his fourth of more than 400 yards this season.

First-year coach Bill Callahan's passing game backfired on Nebraska, which threw five interceptions and set up easy Tech scores.

Tech has scored 70 points in each of its two home games this year. The Red Raiders beat TCU, 70-35, in September after trailing by 21 points.

Cumbie's longest scoring pass came late in the first half when he found Jarrett Hicks on the left sideline for an 80-yarder that made it 21-3. It was the longest touchdown pass by Tech since Coach Mike Leach brought his aerial offense five years ago. The longest previous touchdown pass came last season when B.J. Symons threw a 70-yarder to Carlos Francis.

Duff McCartney
10-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Tech has always been a great offensive team...and Nebraska is in transition this year. I don't think fans in Lincoln have seen this many passes in the history of the program.

jalbre6
10-11-2004, 01:23 PM
Having a superb offense is one thing...waiting until 8:00 left in the fourth quarter to pull your starting QB up 63-10 is another. The only other reason I can think of for that sort of "offensive display" is so the AP and coaches will give Tech more votes.

Duff McCartney
10-11-2004, 01:27 PM
I doubt they'll give Tech anymore votes...

BTW...whatever happened to BJ Symons? Isn't he like the all time leading passer in NCAA history? Did this guy even get drafted?

jalbre6
10-11-2004, 01:33 PM
Duff,

BJ Symons signed a free-agent contract sometime this summer with the Texans. He hurt his knee in early August and is on the physically-unable to-play list. He's unofficially listed as the Texans 4th stringer behind Carr, Tony Banks, and Dave Ragone.

exstatic
10-11-2004, 07:14 PM
It couldn't happen to a nicer program. Glad to see the Huskers in the toitee.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-11-2004, 07:42 PM
NU gave up the ball 5 times inside their own 20. Karma's a bitch, and after how they fired Solich for going 9-3, they deserve it.

As for Tech, to answer the question - Leach is about the biggest prick on this planet. Against SMU last month they ran a hurry up offense (no huddle) with 30 seconds left to try and score another TD up by 2-3 scores, and were throwing into the end zone at the final gun.

The SMU coach cussed Leach out at midfield and probably would have decked his alcoholic ass if it weren't for security/cooler heads around.

One day the Tech O will be solved, and it will be like the end of Houston's run and shoot - they'll get their asses handed to them on a platter.

AFE7FATMAN
10-12-2004, 02:35 AM
From the Big Red
to the

BIG RED FACE

Jimcs50
10-12-2004, 09:07 AM
The Aggies will kill Tech here at Kyle Field. Lumpy will get a taste of his own medicine when the Ags run up the score on his sorry assed team.

LoveMySpurs
10-12-2004, 07:28 PM
I couldn't believe the ass whipping the Cornhuskers got from Tech :cry --the cardiac care units in Nebraska must've filled up overnight.

People in the state do not tolerate losing well at all, esp to teams like So. Miss
and Tech. Kansas now might even be a challenge to them--afraid to even think about the NU/OU game. So much for firing Solich last year after a winning season, plus a bowl win here in SA. It's a transition year, so hopefully the new Pacific coast offense will kick in soon... otherwise the state is going to run out of nitroglycerine!

Man Mountain
10-12-2004, 09:06 PM
I think that A&M has a chance at the national championship:wow Call me crazy but if they go undefeated I don't think anyone else will. This is our year :elephant

King
10-12-2004, 11:10 PM
Funny how Nebraska has a problem with the score being run up on them, when they didn't think twice about running up the score on teams for the past ten years.

Jimcs50
10-13-2004, 08:58 AM
The Aggies can not go undefeated, they lost against Utah, remember?

jalbre6
10-13-2004, 11:37 AM
(wow, am I really DEFENDING Nebraska here?)

It's a little different when you're handing the ball off to your fourth string tailback to kill clock and he's still getting seven yards a carry. Tech was throwing the ball around even after they were up by some incredible margin. Even the backup QB for Tech, who came in with his team up by seven TD's, was airing it out and threw for another one.

Jimcs50
10-13-2004, 11:45 AM
I hate TT more than any team in the world of sports.

Duff McCartney
10-13-2004, 02:28 PM
I remember when I was watching a Nebraska vs A&M game...with Maxpower...who as you know is an A&M man as well has his bro...since they both went there....we saw I think half of the 1st quarter and A&M was up by 14....played some video games turned it back on as the game finished and Nebraska ended up ROUTING A&M...it was classic.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-13-2004, 02:32 PM
Classic... that's what comes to mind every year I watch the tu faithful get their hopes up playing the Rices and TCUs of the world only to get taken behind the woodshed by OU.

Duff McCartney
10-13-2004, 07:24 PM
Classic... that's what comes to mind every year I watch the tu faithful get their hopes up playing the Rices and TCUs of the world only to get taken behind the woodshed by OU.

I agree...that's why I'm not a TU fan...or an Aggie fan.

Marcus Bryant
10-13-2004, 11:35 PM
Go St. Philip's!