PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan`s eyes

Manu20
05-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Tim Duncan`s eyes
By Ted Sevransky
Sat, May 20, 2006
Ted Sevransky is a handicapper with Covers Experts.

http://www.covers.com/articles/articles.aspx?t=2&theArt=80078

The Spurs won their first NBA championship back in 1999, as the low post tandem of Tim Duncan and David Robinson carried San Antonio to a 4-1 series win over the Knicks in the Finals.

That championship, however, was somewhat lightly regarded at the time – it was an awkward, strike shortened season and the Spurs faced the upstart No. 8 seed New York Knicks in the Finals, the only No. 8 seed in NBA history to advance that far in the playoffs.

Hopes weren’t high for a repeat title, with Portland, the Lakers and Sacramento all improving dramatically in the Western Conference. The Spurs lost Sean Elliott to a kidney ailment that curtailed his NBA career, while the Admiral was no longer the powerhouse center that he once was. It was Tim Duncan’s team now, and Duncan wasn’t ready to lead them.

I remember the Lakers sweeping the Spurs out of the playoffs in 2001, then dominating them 4-1 in the playoff in 2002, en route to their third consecutive title. At the time, the Lakers exuded confidence in every close game, every tight situation. Tim Duncan looked like a lost little boy, with fear in his eyes, particularly in that first series when San Antonio got swept.

I mean that quite literally – you could see in Duncan’s eyes by Game 2 of that series that he was simply outmatched and outclassed by L.A. His eyes told the story and I bet against the Spurs in Game 3 and Game 4, eschewing the zig-zag theory in favor of the ‘bet on the better team’ theory, which proved to be a profitable decision for myself and my clients.

Tim Duncan didn’t look like a lost little boy last night, as the Spurs rallied to beat the Mavs, forcing a Game 7. San Antonio was not sharp early on, but they rallied to tie the game at 71-71 early in the fourth quarter. Then, Duncan hit one of his trademark bank shots and was fouled, hitting the free throw as well, to give the Spurs a three point lead.

You could see it in Tim Duncan’s eyes, right then – the Spurs were not going to lose this ballgame. Sure, Dallas went on another run to regain the lead. Sure, it was Michael Finley who hit the biggest shot of the night, nailing a trifecta with under three minutes to play to give San Antonio the lead for good. But it was Duncan’s confidence, Duncan’s championship mentality that was the difference maker, in my opinion. His eyes told the whole story.

Dirk Nowitzki’s eyes told the opposite story. Nowitzki has never been able to hit the big shot in the playoffs. His Mavs team has always come up short around this time of the year. And, with the game on the line last night, Dirk looked tentative. He looked scared. He passed up open shots to feed Devin Harris, Josh Howard and Jerry Stackhouse, instead of taking over the game himself. You could see it in his eyes -- the Mavs were not going to win the biggest game of Nowitzki’s life.

Nowitzki ended up being the goat, taking an absolutely horrible shot, a contested, fall-away 3-point try with plenty of time left on the clock and the Mavs flush with timeouts. And Duncan’s confident look inspired his team to earn a very tough victory and give their title chances a much needed boost as the series shifts back to San Antonio for Game 7.

Confidence means more than experience in the NBA playoffs. Teams with a swagger perform better than teams with any shred of tentativeness or uncertainty. Heading back on the road for Game 7, it’s going to take a Herculean effort from Nowitzki and the Mavs to overcome that look in Tim Duncan’s eyes.

CosmicCowboy
05-20-2006, 05:13 PM
nice read. Tim's got his "cold blooded assassin" look going...it's not swagger...but it is deadly serious for the Mavs....

1Parker1
05-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Heading back on the road for Game 7, it’s going to take a Herculean effort from Nowitzki and the Mavs to overcome that look in Tim Duncan’s eyes.

:tu Nice article.

Texas_Ranger
05-20-2006, 05:55 PM
:spin :D :tu :tu

spurs=bling
05-20-2006, 05:58 PM
nice read. Tim's got his "cold blooded assassin" look going...it's not swagger...but it is deadly serious for the Mavs....
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.getty-57540044cb004_mavs_spurs.jpg

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.getty-57534012cc035_game_4_san_an.jpg

jman3000
05-20-2006, 06:31 PM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.getty-57540044cb004_mavs_spurs.jpg

:tu

sa_butta
05-20-2006, 06:33 PM

If this does not make you a BELIEVER nothing will.

Walton Buys Off Me
05-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Yeah it's basically the exact opposite look that you see in Tony Parker's eyes.

CosmicCowboy
05-20-2006, 06:53 PM

You're still here?

I was sure someone would find you hanging from a shower rod this morning after you jumped in the third quarter last night.

RON ARTEST
05-20-2006, 07:00 PM
You're still here?

I was sure someone would find you hanging from a shower rod this morning after you jumped in the third quarter last night.
:lmao these bandwagon fans are idiots. i saw him posting during the game and he completly gave up. now all of the sudden hes back. :lol

SpursWoman
05-20-2006, 07:02 PM
:lmao these bandwagon fans are idiots. i saw him posting during the game and he completly gave up. now all of the sudden hes back. :lol

I think it's a tradition by now. :lol

Russ
05-20-2006, 07:28 PM
A nice article but I don't think this guy realizes that Duncan was hurt and did not play in the 2000 playoffs.

Vashner
05-20-2006, 07:31 PM
I made this up this Duncan / Hendrix remix

Well, I’m a voodoo chile
Lord I’m a voodoo chile

Well, the night I was born in the Virgin Islands
Lord I swear the moon turned a fire red
The night I was born in the Virgin Islands
I swear the moon turned a fire red
Well my poor mother cried out lord, the gypsy was right!
And I seen her fell down right dead
(have mercy)

Well, mountain lions found me there waitin’ to tame the Mavs
And set me on a eagles back
Well, mountain lions found me there waitin' to tame the Mavs
And set me on a eagles wing
(its’ the eagles wing, baby, what did I say)
He took me past to the outskirts of the 3 point line,
And when he brought me back to the paint,
He gave me a 2003 champ's ring
Hey!
And he said fly on, fly on Timmy fly on'
Because I’m a voodoo chile, baby, voodoo chile
Hey!

Well, I make love to you after the game,
And lord knows you’ll feel no pain
Say, I make love to you in your sleep after the game,
And lord knows you felt no pain
(have mercy)
’cause I’m a million miles away on a Champion air 727 charter
And at the same time I’m right here in your picture frame on my laptop
(yeah! what did I say now)
’cause I’m a voodoo chile
Lord knows I’m a voodoo chile

Well my basketballs are made of leather
From far away as jupiters sulphur mines
Say my arrows are made of desire, desire
From far away as jupiters sulphur mines
(way down by the methabe sea where Artest is now fishing, yeah)
I have a humming bird fish finder Avery can use and it hums so loud,
You think you were losing your mind, hmmm...

Well I float in madison garden in 99'
And arizona is the next stop red sand Sun's and greasy Nash
(yeah)
I float in liquid at madison garden, oh Avery said the champaigne got in thru his skin..
Way down in arizona red sand Nash waits to get his ass kicked

Well, I taste the honey from a flower named blue,
Way down in california where Artest is fishing
And the n new york drowns as Malik Rose hold his hands

’cause I’m a voodoo chile
Lord knows I’m a voodoo chile
Yeah!

RON ARTEST
05-20-2006, 07:34 PM
a sac king poster named ron artest is calling someone a bandwagon fan on a spurs message board

ah the delicious tast of irony
im on a spurs message board because this is the best damn forum i have ever been on. im rooting for the spurs because i hate the mavs. but if there was any way both teams could lose i would take it an a heartbeat.

jman3000
05-20-2006, 07:39 PM
A nice article but I don't think this guy realizes that Duncan was hurt and did not play in the 2000 playoffs.

I don't see where that would change anything...

2000 = Phoenix loss in first round
2001 = Lakers sweep
2002 = Lakers in 5
2003 = Trophy

I only saw him mention 2001.

zrinkill
05-20-2006, 07:44 PM
The Mans the cerebral assassin ........

HHH's got nothing on Duncan.........

whottt
05-20-2006, 07:48 PM
I like the intent of the article...but I don't really agree with the way it makes the point.

Duncan was never why we didn't win a title...just like David Robinson wasn't...it is entirely the supporting cast that has determined our title worthiness for the past 20 years.

Duncan got injured in 2000 and the reason we got beatdown by the Lakers in 01 was because we were ancient on the perimeter and could not stop Kobe Bryant...and Anderson got injured.

Who knows...if we had Bruce Bowen back then we just might have beat them.

Duncan got that look on his face because he was flat out embarrased at how badly Kobe was destroying us.

In 2002 LA did not dominate us in that 4-1 series victory...We held a 10-15 point lead going into the 4th quarter of every game in that series and then they'd just double/triple Duncan and watch Smitty, Porter and Ferry choke the game away.

Dominated? No...in some ways we dominated LA more in that series than we did in the series we actually beat them.

IF Duncan looks more relaxed and sure now it's because he knows he's got a freaking awesome supporting cast and he doesn't have to do everything every night...as the game 6 win proves...he wasn't that great in the early part of that game. Confident or not...and if not for Manu in the first half, and Finley stepping up...we'd have gotten our ass kicked no matter how confident Duncan looked.

intlspurshk
05-20-2006, 08:20 PM
Dirk has been hitting big shots. We all hate him but he is incredible throughout this series. Realise the strengths of the opponent is the first step to beat them.

smeagol
05-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Weren't you the one busting TD's chops earlier in the season?

sanman53
05-20-2006, 08:47 PM

DANG!
Maybe the best Timmy pic Ive ever seen.
Was this taken during this series?

Solid D
05-20-2006, 09:02 PM
I don't give much credence to the article. Dirk's eyes didn't look any different to me last night than they did in the games they won. Dirk was everywhere last night. He was fiery and enthusiastic. He was trying to win the game but he didn't get much support from Stack and Devin. He had 21 rebounds!!! I have spent many years in business watching body language and eyes and it's true, eyes can tell a lot. In this case, I think the writer misses the mark.

spurs=bling
05-20-2006, 09:03 PM
DANG!
Maybe the best Timmy pic Ive ever seen.
Was this taken during this series?
yep game 5

mikejones99
05-20-2006, 09:26 PM
#21 is good

Supergirl
05-20-2006, 09:37 PM
1999 team dominated because David Robinson was in his prime.

2000, 2001 - Duncan was just beginning to round into form, but the Spurs had no answer for Kobe Bryant. Hence, they brought Bruce Bowen in in 2001-2002. Perhaps more significantly, in 2002-2003, they brought in Manu Ginobili.

You guys realize that Manu has been in the league 4 years and won two championships already? If/when we win this year, he'll have won a championship 3 out of 4 years in the league. That's incredible. And I think it lends evidence to who the real difference maker on the Spurs is, with all respect to Tim Duncan. The three keys to winning are Timmy, Manu, and Bruce Bowen - not necessarily in that order.

Sportman
05-20-2006, 09:39 PM
People as i saw you were talking about tim´s eyes i thought it would be a great idea if you could see the OLD MANU :elephant :elephant

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/4138/manuviejito5xa.jpg

Solid D
05-20-2006, 09:43 PM
Hahah. :lol Excellent artwork!!!

Sportman
05-20-2006, 09:48 PM
Hahah. :lol Excellent artwork!!!

Yes but it wasnt mine :rolleyes

Spurs Dynasty
05-20-2006, 09:55 PM
For other fans who don't have the privledge of watching a lot of Spurs games...

When Tim gets focused and determined, he is damn near unbeatable. He has an entire other level others cant touch.

Vashner
05-20-2006, 11:55 PM
I told ya'll.. the plan was to rest up as much during reg season THEN go apeshit and risk injury WHEN it matters..

Ya'll wanted Spurs to burn out in reg season insisting in more and more PRESSURE every game..

Parkersgirl9
05-21-2006, 06:39 PM
I love this man..tim Duncan. He makes me proud to be a Spurs fan!

greens
05-21-2006, 11:45 PM
1999 team dominated because David Robinson was in his prime.

2000, 2001 - Duncan was just beginning to round into form, but the Spurs had no answer for Kobe Bryant. Hence, they brought Bruce Bowen in in 2001-2002. Perhaps more significantly, in 2002-2003, they brought in Manu Ginobili.

You guys realize that Manu has been in the league 4 years and won two championships already? If/when we win this year, he'll have won a championship 3 out of 4 years in the league. That's incredible. And I think it lends evidence to who the real difference maker on the Spurs is, with all respect to Tim Duncan. The three keys to winning are Timmy, Manu, and Bruce Bowen - not necessarily in that order.

I agree with all of that. We can't blame Duncan for those other losses. It takes a TEAM to win, led by a great leader. I think the importance of Bruce is not stressed enough. This guy, in my opinion, is hands down the BEST defensive player there is. He was robbed of the Defensive Player of the Year award almost every year already. Truly, without Bruce's relentless defense, we would not be anywhere...He is what keeps the big shots/star players from scoring...Look at what he does against Kobe, Carmelo, Ray Allen, Vince Carter, etc...the list goes on. And on top of it, he got the best compliments from all of them: their whining and complaining and dirty talking to the media about Bruce...It just shows that Bruce gets into their heads better than anyone else. Remember his incredible block of Billups 3 pointer with about one minute of the fourth quarter remaining in the seventh deciding game. If it had been anyone else guarding Chauncey, the Spurs lead would have been just two points not five with a minute remaining. And what about what he did to Dirk? He blocked his shot from the behind! And created a jump ball that basically SAVED the Spurs. I just hope the Spurs have Bowen on contract for more than two more years at least...

AND MANU...well, what can you say other than that he is the most fierce competitor and plays with so much passion and fire. His steals, his shots, his rebounds, etc...are what make him a great player...He literally SAVED the Spurs in the last game by scoring 30 points and keeping the Spurs alive when other players were struggling with either fouls or shooting...

I think the Spurs have the BEST team possible right now with the following players: Timmy, Tony, Brucie, Manu, Horry...and now we can add Michael Finley to the mix...That's it...we don't need anyone else to win...I hope the Spurs keep all of those players...

And that article about Timmy's eyes is truly touching. I love it. It's an original and an emotional piece...It truly touches your heart. The look in his eyes does indeed speak volumes. And when Timmy is confident and REALLY wants to win, then we already know the rest...just watch Game 7th third and fourth quarter against Detroit last year...Timmy was unstoppable all the way through...

Summers
05-21-2006, 11:55 PM
:tu

My thoughts exactly. That's a sweet pic.

shelshor
05-22-2006, 01:57 PM
For other fans who don't have the privledge of watching a lot of Spurs games...

When Tim gets focused and determined, he is damn near unbeatable. He has an entire other level others cant touch.
The only other player I can recall who had the same look in his eyes when crunch time came was Bill Russell
Damn good company

DarrinS
05-22-2006, 02:05 PM
I like the intent of the article...but I don't really agree with the way it makes the point.

Duncan was never why we didn't win a title...just like David Robinson wasn't...it is entirely the supporting cast that has determined our title worthiness for the past 20 years.

Duncan got injured in 2000 and the reason we got beatdown by the Lakers in 01 was because we were ancient on the perimeter and could not stop Kobe Bryant...and Anderson got injured.

Who knows...if we had Bruce Bowen back then we just might have beat them.

Duncan got that look on his face because he was flat out embarrased at how badly Kobe was destroying us.

In 2002 LA did not dominate us in that 4-1 series victory...We held a 10-15 point lead going into the 4th quarter of every game in that series and then they'd just double/triple Duncan and watch Smitty, Porter and Ferry choke the game away.

Dominated? No...in some ways we dominated LA more in that series than we did in the series we actually beat them.

IF Duncan looks more relaxed and sure now it's because he knows he's got a freaking awesome supporting cast and he doesn't have to do everything every night...as the game 6 win proves...he wasn't that great in the early part of that game. Confident or not...and if not for Manu in the first half, and Finley stepping up...we'd have gotten our ass kicked no matter how confident Duncan looked.

I agree with Whott. But, good article nonetheless.

fyatuk
05-22-2006, 02:12 PM
I don't give much credence to the article. Dirk's eyes didn't look any different to me last night than they did in the games they won. Dirk was everywhere last night. He was fiery and enthusiastic. He was trying to win the game but he didn't get much support from Stack and Devin. He had 21 rebounds!!! I have spent many years in business watching body language and eyes and it's true, eyes can tell a lot. In this case, I think the writer misses the mark.

Did you see Dirk coming out of the tunnel for pre-game warmups? You could tell he was going to be everywhere. He certainly wanted to end the series then and there, and it showed in his play.

But he certainly didn't keep up the play late in the 4th quarter, maybe because he lost confidence, maybe because he was gassed, whatever. He certainly had a fairly despondent look in the post-game PC, but you'd expect that after a tough loss.

I'm curious what he's going to look like before tonight's game.

Hook Dem
05-22-2006, 02:25 PM
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/6407/cid180186f2f8f94d6aa78ea93c8e3.gif (http://imageshack.us)

spur219
05-22-2006, 02:32 PM
That picture of Tim Duncan looking mad is awesome. That makes me believe that the Spurs will win tonight.

mikejones99
05-22-2006, 02:52 PM
$$

101A
05-22-2006, 03:31 PM
Tim Duncan`s eyes
By Ted Sevransky
Sat, May 20, 2006
Ted Sevransky is a handicapper with Covers Experts.

http://www.covers.com/articles/articles.aspx?t=2&theArt=80078

Nowitzki has never been able to hit the big shot in the playoffs.

That quote seems a good time to bring this up.

In 5 of the 6 games of this series, Dirk Nowitski has had the ball in his hands, with 10 seconds on the clock, and the ability to win or tie.

He has yet to make a basket: 0-5.

wildbill2u
05-22-2006, 04:30 PM
His hair is shaven down
His footwork sweet surprise
His bankshots don't run cold
Like his Timmy Duncan Eyes
Before you can think twice
He's on a fundamental roll
And He's got Timmy Duncan Eyes

And he'll tease you
and unease you
All the better just to please you
He's fundamental and knows just
What it takes to make a NBA pro blush
With envious sighs
He's got Timmy Duncan Eyes

He'll take game seven home
It whets his appetite
To regain his NBA throne
on which he's got his eyes
He'll take the middle on you
Roll you like you're dice
Until you're white on rice
He's got those Timmy Duncan Eyes

He'll expose you when he throws you
off your feet with the spin he shows you
He's ferocious and he know just
What it takes to make a NBA pro blush
And never smiles or cries

He'll tease you
He'll undress you
Before a thousand guys
He'll expose you, when he shows you
That he owns you
He's got those Timmy Duncan Eyes.

TDMVPDPOY
05-22-2006, 04:49 PM
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1557/spursbaby16lr.jpg

HE sees championship rings :D:D

samikeyp
05-22-2006, 04:55 PM
Nice job bill.

That quote seems a good time to bring this up.

In 5 of the 6 games of this series, Dirk Nowitski has had the ball in his hands, with 10 seconds on the clock, and the ability to win or tie.

He has yet to make a basket: 0-5.

I did not know that...great find!

MadDog73
05-22-2006, 04:59 PM
#21 is good

Understatement.

TD is the best team player in the NBA right now.